Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Laptops

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
41 weeks ago

Any experts…or frequent users

What should I buy .. I just need basic … surf the web…check emails … no gaming etc…

Tips please

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
41 weeks ago

If you want a laptop then HP are well priced and reliable, Lenovo also recommended.

If it’s mainly for casual use have you considered a Chromebook? Cheaper than a laptop and with everything bring cloud based now just as good as a laptop and often a bit faster.

By *agerMorganMan
41 weeks ago

Canvey Island

Agree with Glowup,

If it’s just browsing the web, Chromebook is the way to go. Otherwise Lenovo / HP are a decent way to go.

41 weeks ago

"If you want a laptop then HP are well priced and reliable, Lenovo also recommended.

If it’s mainly for casual use have you considered a Chromebook? Cheaper than a laptop and with everything bring cloud based now just as good as a laptop and often a bit faster. "

Silly question but do they come with internal mics and video capability for meetings teams/skype?

41 weeks ago

"If you want a laptop then HP are well priced and reliable, Lenovo also recommended.

If it’s mainly for casual use have you considered a Chromebook? Cheaper than a laptop and with everything bring cloud based now just as good as a laptop and often a bit faster.

Silly question but do they come with internal mics and video capability for meetings teams/skype? "

Yes both have them as standard. You’ll often get a higher spec camera on a Chromebook for the price than on laptop.

41 weeks ago

How much are you looking to spend op that’s main question

If it’s a basic laptop your looking for and your looking to spend around the £500 to £600

Then the refurbished market is you best bet ex game laptops that are now “obsolete” when it comes to newer games

Yes I know you not looking for games

Yes it will be a little older 4-5 years old

But it’s still going to be better than any laptop that you pic up to day at that price point

As at one point in time that ex game refurbished laptop was ones a £1500-£2000 laptop it’s going to come with all the bells and whistles that you new laptop doesn’t come with at the £500-£600 new price tag

You be getting a far better laptop for the same amount off money event though your intended use isn’t gameing

You the perfect candidate for this sort off thing

Someone who wants a laptop for basically use

If that’s your price point Google

Refurbished Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57-51QM Core i5-11400H 8GB 512GB RTX 3050 15.6 Inch Windows 11 Gaming Laptop

By *oodmessMan
41 weeks ago

yumsville

I had a HP and can honestly say it was an utter bag of shit. The components were great but the mouse trackpad, the simplest of things needed to get right just didn't work. You couldn't change it unless buying a new chassis, it is a common reported fault is you google around. I have a Dell that's years and years old so I'd suggest them

41 weeks ago

"How much are you looking to spend op that’s main question

If it’s a basic laptop your looking for and your looking to spend around the £500 to £600

Then the refurbished market is you best bet ex game laptops that are now “obsolete” when it comes to newer games

But it’s still going to be better than any laptop that you pic up to day at that price point

As at one point in time that ex game refurbished laptop was ones a £1500-£2000 laptop it’s going to come with all the bells and whistles that you new laptop doesn’t come with at the £500-£600 new price tag

You be getting a far better laptop for the same amount off money event though your intended use isn’t gameing

Refurbished Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57-51QM Core i5-11400H 8GB 512GB RTX 3050 15.6 Inch Windows 11 Gaming Laptop

"

Thank you I’ll have a look

41 weeks ago

"I had a HP and can honestly say it was an utter bag of shit. The components were great but the mouse trackpad, the simplest of things needed to get right just didn't work. You couldn't change it unless buying a new chassis, it is a common reported fault is you google around. I have a Dell that's years and years old so I'd suggest them"

I have 2 work HP laptops and no issues at all, so it’s not all HP.

By *oeBeansMan
41 weeks ago

Derby

"Surf the web..." Sure, ok

By *2000ManMan
41 weeks ago

Worthing

I have a Toshiba from 2013 and serves me well. I reinstalled windows onto an ssd, upgraded ram to 8gb and it does what I need it to. If you have an older laptop, do the same to breath new life into it. To answer the op question, try ebay shop for a refurished one (not private seller). Ensure good feedback and Look at reviews of the specific model.

41 weeks ago

"How much are you looking to spend op that’s main question

Thank you I’ll have a look "

Your welcome

41 weeks ago

"I have a Toshiba from 2013 and serves me well. I reinstalled windows onto an ssd, upgraded ram to 8gb and it does what I need it to. If you have an older laptop, do the same to breath new life into it. To answer the op question, try ebay shop for a refurished one (not private seller). Ensure good feedback and Look at reviews of the specific model."

Never go private on refrubished always go with like laptops direct to something that comes with a years warranty on them just incase

By *oodmessMan
41 weeks ago

yumsville

"I had a HP and can honestly say it was an utter bag of shit. The components were great but the mouse trackpad, the simplest of things needed to get right just didn't work. You couldn't change it unless buying a new chassis, it is a common reported fault is you google around. I have a Dell that's years and years old so I'd suggest them

I have 2 work HP laptops and no issues at all, so it’s not all HP. "

Features and connectivity were great and a wireless keyboard fixed it but I've never had it with any other lappy

By *ee_awMan
41 weeks ago

newcastle

"Agree with Glowup,

If it’s just browsing the web, Chromebook is the way to go. Otherwise Lenovo / HP are a decent way to go. "

If you look at a chromebook you need to check the Auto Update Expiry date - Google has a list where you can look it up. Most are 10 years but some really cheap ones have been sat on a shelf for years...

Personally I'd go Asus, Lenovo or HP. There's not really much difference between them - get one with at least 8Gb ram and a decent processor - AMD processors are generally cheaper than equivalent intel but there are more intel options. Most laptops will have SSD these days but if you go refurb then you may need to look at the spec of the hard drive.

By *inkygentkentMan
41 weeks ago

Maidstone

Unfortunately all modern devices have built-in obsolescence so they are a nightmare to repair. I know people rave about Dell laptops but from professional experience they are overpriced with weird quirks when repairing.

I used to recommend HP but they have gone downhill recently so I now go with Lenovo. Try and get one with at least an AMD Ryzen 5 processor, 8GB RAM and 256GB storage - should be able to do that for under £500

41 weeks ago

""Surf the web..." Sure, ok "

By *avinaTVTV/TS
41 weeks ago

Transsexual Transylvania

Have you considered a tablet instead? My daughter has a Lenovo for her university, as well as Samsung S9 tablet. She only uses the laptop for essays, because it has a keyboard. She uses her tablet for taking notes, doing online research, making Zoom calls, watching movies, playing games, online shopping, general browsing... etc. It's more convenient for her.

Shop around for tablet deals - you can pick up an S6 for under £300. It's slightly older, but perfectly usable. She had one until recently and was very happy with it.

By *avinaTVTV/TS
41 weeks ago

Transsexual Transylvania

Sorry - a Lenovo laptop.

By *rHotNottsMan
41 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Any experts…or frequent users

What should I buy .. I just need basic … surf the web…check emails … no gaming etc…

Tips please

"

It depends how and where you gonna use it and for what. The most important things that people often don’t think about are screen, type and size, keyboard type & features, weight.

Spec is largely irrelevant , everybody wants fast as they can afford , no one sets out to buy a slow computer because it’s just for email / browsing

By *orny-DJMan
41 weeks ago

Leigh-on-Sea

If it’s mainly for casual use have you considered a Chromebook? Cheaper than a laptop and with everything bring cloud based now just as good as a laptop and often a bit faster. "

I would have always recommended HP in the past, but my last one was a pile of junk which began to fall apart after a year. One of the screen hinges snapped. I did replace it, but then other parts started to go wrong. Not tge quality they used to be.

Had my Asus for about 5 years now.

Wasn't to impressed with the operating system it came with - that awful Windows 10, and the hard drive used to be continually doing things in the background, but I replaced the Hard drive with a SSD and installed Windows 10 from scratch and it's been much better. Had to replace the battety a couple of times, but I consider that a wear and tear item. Just replaced the keyboard for the second time, but only because the printed on letters wear off. Still serves me well though

By *rHotNottsMan
41 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Unfortunately all modern devices have built-in obsolescence so they are a nightmare to repair. I know people rave about Dell laptops but from professional experience they are overpriced with weird quirks when repairing.

I used to recommend HP but they have gone downhill recently so I now go with Lenovo. Try and get one with at least an AMD Ryzen 5 processor, 8GB RAM and 256GB storage - should be able to do that for under £500"

I really like Dell precision , I think the cheaper latitudes that are the problem ones. HP went downhill a long time ago but the Bang & Olufesen Elitebook is amazing. Lenovo are rebranded IBM Thinkpads. All three make great machines around £2000 but also awful cheap machines for £500

By *inacolada3Couple
41 weeks ago

kettering

Argos do a hp laptop for £150, simple and basic, ideal for internet. Emails and fab.

If your not gamming or doing clever things its perfect. We have one and very happy.

41 weeks ago

Thanks all as soon as I finish ‘working’ I’ll delve deeper

41 weeks ago

Hey happy to help work in IT

41 weeks ago

"Hey happy to help work in IT"

Go for it … basic requirements …email…online shopping…web browsing

By *ophieslutTV/TS
41 weeks ago

Central

Go refurbished with a good warranty. And study reviews of the models

By *pforanything121Man
41 weeks ago

castleford

HP or dell whether refurbished or new. Cannot go wrong with either of them for what you want. I literally work in regional IT systems going to work places advising or installing similar software etc.. any other questions don’t hesitate to reach out.

Post new Message to Thread