Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Light weights vs injury

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
41 weeks ago

I cant go to the gym as i very slightly tore a muscle a while back… i can feel its a little sore but 80% healed. Can go to the gym and “take it easy” nothing too strenuous or do i have to stay gymless cause im losing my mind. Lol

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *andadbodMan
41 weeks ago

Liverpool

would wait till fully healed

41 weeks ago

Its going to be a long winter for me sigh

By *oodmessMan
41 weeks ago

yumsville

Why not do exercises you don't usually do to gain full movement over mass. Swimming is an obvious one but yoga, pilates, tai chi?

41 weeks ago

The issue is its an internal muscle so it felt mor like a broken rib, its in such an intricate place that im not sure which excercises would be safe. But maybe some resistance type physio would help

By *ittyandtheboyCouple
41 weeks ago

Back of the bins.

Can you ask whoever has diagnosed it? Or maybe a physio or a pt. Walking is actually a great builder of insurance if you do it at a slightly uncomfortable speed.

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
41 weeks ago

Lincoln

Do some bodyweight work and stretching at home until you feel 100%, and when you choose to go to the gym again, start super light. One of the worst things you can do after injury is nothing, things will stiffen up and weaken and the pain can get worse as a result.

LvM

41 weeks ago

Sounds good but we all know how long it takes to get in the GP these days walking isn’t a bad shout though ive found myself taking the dog out 2-3 times a day cause i feel like im “going soft” i might ask about a treadmill

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
41 weeks ago

Cumbria

"Sounds good but we all know how long it takes to get in the GP these days walking isn’t a bad shout though ive found myself taking the dog out 2-3 times a day cause i feel like im “going soft” i might ask about a treadmill"

Long walks with the dog are good for both of you, you should keep that going even after you get back to the gym.

By *oodmessMan
41 weeks ago

yumsville

It's better to take time and recover fully than push too early and always be carrying something. Getting ahead of yourself even when you feel fit, you're still likely at risk of injury. I've only seen a couple of physio's ever and they were a bit naff but it's always worth speaking to them first or getting a referral. Those elastic resistance bands can be pretty aggressive - they go from light to heavy but keep you moving

By *hoccaMan
41 weeks ago

local

Always a good idea to wait till fully healed. And as far as the eight goes keep it light to avoid injury. There is a common misconception that we must lift heavy to build muscle.

But we can achieve the same if not better results with lighter weights and slower reps as we spend more time under tension reaching musclular fatigue

Faster.

And also training like this is a lot safer and less chance of injury

look into heavy duty/HIT training (not HIIT)

YouTube: jay vincent/ Mike mentzer

41 weeks ago

I appreciate the advice thank you, and when you say ‘light’ what range of KG should i be sticking to?

41 weeks ago

I get what you’re saying but I usually spend 2 hours in the gym and im now spending 3 hours a day walking the dog i think he hates me cause hes in bed by 9 now

By *obbi_sutherlandTV/TS
41 weeks ago

Dornoch

Check and see if your local health centre has a self referral system for physiotherapy.

A lot of them do.

Might be better taking advice from a professional than random folk on a swinging site!

41 weeks ago

Yeah im thinking i might book in to see a physio I’ll probably buy some bands today

41 weeks ago

Ill check it out thank you

By (user no longer on site)
41 weeks ago

"I cant go to the gym as i very slightly tore a muscle a while back… i can feel its a little sore but 80% healed. Can go to the gym and “take it easy” nothing too strenuous or do i have to stay gymless cause im losing my mind. Lol"

A very slightly torn muscle should never stop you going

The best fix for torn muscles is movement

Just go, don’t be dumb, take it easy and avoid anything that causes more then a 3/10 pain and avoid anything explosive

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
41 weeks ago

Cumbria

"I get what you’re saying but I usually spend 2 hours in the gym and im now spending 3 hours a day walking the dog i think he hates me cause hes in bed by 9 now "

A tired dog is a happy dog!

Also, take advice from a professional, NHS physios will err on the side of caution because they don’t want you to end up needing more treatment but it is better to listen to someone clinically trained.

41 weeks ago

All the medical professionals are swingers anyway im skipping the queue here lmao but good shout on the referral system ill have a look at it. I don’t mind paying if the wait is too long though

41 weeks ago

Thanks I appreciate it

41 weeks ago

Very true and im going to log myself in with a physio… seems the best bet

By *ou only live onceMan
41 weeks ago

London

If you're sure it's a muscle injury, and you feel 80% better than when you got injured, I'd go the the gym. Movement is medicine and all that.

Getting blood flowing around the injured site will aid recovery, but obviously don't go mad. The 3/10 guide above is a good one, but this is pretty impossible for anyone else to answer as you'll know your body best.

41 weeks ago

"If you're sure it's a muscle injury, and you feel 80% better than when you got injured, I'd go the the gym. Movement is medicine and all that.

Getting blood flowing around the injured site will aid recovery, but obviously don't go mad. The 3/10 guide above is a good one, but this is pretty impossible for anyone else to answer as you'll know your body best."

im hearing a lot about the 3/10 so it might be worth some research

By *ou only live onceMan
41 weeks ago

London

"If you're sure it's a muscle injury, and you feel 80% better than when you got injured, I'd go the the gym. Movement is medicine and all that.

Getting blood flowing around the injured site will aid recovery, but obviously don't go mad. The 3/10 guide above is a good one, but this is pretty impossible for anyone else to answer as you'll know your body best. im hearing a lot about the 3/10 so it might be worth some research "

Not sure you need to research much. It's literally is the pain at a low level for you or not. If I was in your position, I'd go to the gym. Try and find exercises that didn't hurt, but also do some movement in the range that is a little uncomfortable to test what I can do. Doing nothing won't help muscle recovery.

How long have you been injured?

Post new Message to Thread