Back to The Lounge

Doom !

Jump to newest

By *uckOfTheBay OP   Man
42 weeks ago

Mold

Is 30 years old

There's a good article about it in the Guardian

I can recall first seeing Wolfenstein 3d and blasting the hell out of Nazis, then along came Doom, and you got to blast the hell out of hell

Fantastic days and nights

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
42 weeks ago

Older 2d games were grate

The newer ones not sure as zombie game type things aren’t my thing anymore

Movie was awesome also

42 weeks ago

Yes that was my gaming era too.

Modern games are just to complex and or realistic for me.

By *hawn ScottMan
42 weeks ago

london Brixton

oh yeah! played wolfinstien and doom in college when I should have been studying.

After that was Quake which is still in my top 10 of all time. The haunting soundtrack from Trent Raznor

By *hawn ScottMan
42 weeks ago

london Brixton

OK list your top 10 games of all time, doesn't have to be in order.

Can be any era or any platform

By *uckOfTheBay OP   Man
42 weeks ago

Mold

If you're old enough ...

Jet Set Willy

Manic Minor

Lemmings

Daley Thomson's Decathlon (buggered if I could do the discus )

By *hawn ScottMan
42 weeks ago

london Brixton

Thief PC

Quake PC

Knights of the old republic xbox

Arkham Asylum xbox

Mortal Kombat 2 SNES

Mario Kart SNES

Red Alert 2 PC

Jedi Outcast xbox

realms of the haunting PC

Jedi Knight dark forces 2 PC

42 weeks ago

Snare (c64)

Urban strike (mega drive)

Micro machines turbo tournament (mega drive)

Toy commander (dream cast)

F16 combat pilot (Amiga 500)

Red alert (pc)

Doom 2 (pc)

Streets of rage 2 (mega drive)

Sim city (Amiga 500)

UFO enemy unknown (pc)

Mario kart (N64)

Wasn’t counting but that feels like 10

By *lynJMan
42 weeks ago

Morden

In no particular order, all on PC

Age of Empires I, II

Age of Mythology

Broken Sword I, II

Thief

Quake

Quake II

Thief

World of Tanks

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
42 weeks ago

Coventry

"If you're old enough ...

Jet Set Willy

Manic Minor

Lemmings

Daley Thomson's Decathlon (buggered if I could do the discus )"

My brother is a good bit older than me. I remember him playing Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum. And we had Lemmings on our first family PC. It was running Windows 3.1, floppy drive only and built by a mate of my Dad who learnt all about computers whilst doing time at Her Hajesty's pleasure.

Mr

42 weeks ago

I forgot prince of Persia

And superplex

I did like jetset Willy too

10s not enough!

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
42 weeks ago

Coventry

We were mainly a Sega household. I was mega drive/PS1 generation but we were poor so I mainly grew up with a Master System, which I loved.

My favourite of all time (Master System):

Wonder Boy III: The Dragons Trap

So many worlds, characters and weapons to discover/explore. Plus with the codes you could save your progress. Such a huge game.

By *glyBettyTV/TS
42 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

Around the time Doom came out I only had a Sega Megadrive (and a Commodore 64)

For the Megadrive my favourite games in no particular order...

Streets of Rage 2

Sonic 2/3/Sonic & Knuckles

FIFA 95

Micro Machines (underrated classic)

Jungle Strike

Dynamite Headdy

Ristar

Sensible Soccer

Mortal Kombat 1 & 2

Street Racer

Thunder force 3 & 4

Aaaaghh Real Monsters, which might not even have been that good but we used to rent it out all the time.

World Cup Italia '90 which was actually shite, but again don't send your mum to Blockbusters to rent games on your behalf.

By *glyBettyTV/TS
42 weeks ago

"We were mainly a Sega household. I was mega drive/PS1 generation but we were poor so I mainly grew up with a Master System, which I loved.

My favourite of all time (Master System):

Wonder Boy III: The Dragons Trap

So many worlds, characters and weapons to discover/explore. Plus with the codes you could save your progress. Such a huge game."

About a year before I got a Megadrive (which I had to save up pocket money for) I had a Master System too. We got one when the price of them dropped to £50 in the Argos catalogue, around 1991 i think?

I had Alex Kidd built in, also I had Ninja, Sonic 2 (actually really good on the Master System) I definitely had Dragons Trap as well but I didn't understand what to do so I got nowhere. I didn't really build up a big library for it before getting a Megadrive, but my picture from 27 January 2023 is a tribute to the old Sega Master System cheap box art

(don't worry its a PG-rated pic, but scroll very quickly )

42 weeks ago

While we are talking retro games

Does anyone know if an old console works with a modern tv?

I’d love another mega drive and N64 but I’ve heard they won’t work on modern tv.

By *glyBettyTV/TS
42 weeks ago

"While we are talking retro games

I’d love another mega drive and N64 but I’ve heard they won’t work on modern tv."

If your TV has a SCART socket (mine actually does) you may be able to just use a SCART cable, but otherwise you'll need to find at least one converter that converts the console output signal to HDMI, and you may need to convert it to some intermediate format like RGB or something then get an RGB to HDMI. It's a bit of a faff but it can be done

42 weeks ago

"While we are talking retro games

I’d love another mega drive and N64 but I’ve heard they won’t work on modern tv.

If your TV has a SCART socket (mine actually does) you may be able to just use a SCART cable, but otherwise you'll need to find at least one converter that converts the console output signal to HDMI, and you may need to convert it to some intermediate format like RGB or something then get an RGB to HDMI. It's a bit of a faff but it can be done "

Thanks, that’s made my morning.

By *glyBettyTV/TS
42 weeks ago

The biggest issue is the refresh rate of the TV. Most modern TVs output at least 60hz & often more, whilst our old video game consoles and computers can only output at 50hz (the PAL territory standard back in the days of cathode tube TVs)

Modern TVs have a "game" mode which locks the refresh rate at 60hz, but that's still too fast for our 50hz systems.

What you'll need ideally is an NTSC game console which outputs a 60hz picture, but otherwise it might just be easier (and cheaper) to buy an old television

42 weeks ago

"The biggest issue is the refresh rate of the TV. Most modern TVs output at least 60hz & often more, whilst our old video game consoles and computers can only output at 50hz (the PAL territory standard back in the days of cathode tube TVs)

Modern TVs have a "game" mode which locks the refresh rate at 60hz, but that's still too fast for our 50hz systems.

What you'll need ideally is an NTSC game console which outputs a 60hz picture, but otherwise it might just be easier (and cheaper) to buy an old television "

I haven’t got space for the extra tv which is probably the best solution.

But I found the adaptors as soon as I read your message. Then slapped myself for not thinking to search online for one.

Buying 60Hz makes sense, I have no games left except C64 so I’ll look into import consoles too.

I think we should all make an effort to play the games we’ve named now. Not on emulators though, they always feel weird.

By *glyBettyTV/TS
42 weeks ago

"I haven’t got space for the extra tv which is probably the best solution.

But I found the adaptors as soon as I read your message. Then slapped myself for not thinking to search online for one.

Buying 60Hz makes sense, I have no games left except C64 so I’ll look into import consoles too.

I think we should all make an effort to play the games we’ve named now. Not on emulators though, they always feel weird."

If you don't already own the consoles you're looking to use, then yeah buy the 60hz version if you can. For a Megadrive these are abundantly available on Ebay & very cheap, well under £60 in most cases. NTSC N64s are not quite as available as Megadrives but certainly not rare, and only slightly more pricey depending on what comes with it.

C64 is tricky one, as getting a 60hz c64 is likely going to need to be imported, and although they're not rare at all, the question is do you even want an NTSC c64? As pretty much the vast majority of games (and most of the best games) came out in Europe for the 50hz computer. That might be a situation where if you don't have space for an old tv, maybe you would be better off getting one of the modern remakes like the C64 mini/maxi, which basically an emulator running on a raspberry pit in a fancy case, but way more user friendly.

By *eneralKenobiMan
42 weeks ago

North Angus

Preferred Duke Nukem myself

By *ools and the brainCouple
42 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

"Is 30 years old

There's a good article about it in the Guardian

I can recall first seeing Wolfenstein 3d and blasting the hell out of Nazis, then along came Doom, and you got to blast the hell out of hell

Fantastic days and nights "

Couldn't play it, motion sickness got me big time

42 weeks ago

As someone who is a bit of a techie I'm surprised I never got into gaming. I spent many years playing with the real thing in terms of cool machines and guns etc., still do to an extent, so I suppose it doesn't have the same fascination for me?

By *tarboy8696Man
42 weeks ago

kirkintilloch

Ohhh just my thread, I am a huge gamer always have been started with my game boy and took off from there.

To you guys talking about playing retro on new tvs. Depending on the consol there are converters out there for almost ever consol to accept an hdmi even the mega drive. I have from the she's onwards on a new TV and I can even change the refresh rate and add the lines in for more authenticity.

But if you guys like retro without the fuss get a rasbery pi and upload rerto gaming to it, then you can download the rom of your chosen game to it.

Not much bigger than a deck of fags but I have all my arcade games on there and most of my library of older consol games. I go through stages of playing old ones then going back to destiny 2 lol

By *zeroMan
42 weeks ago

Glasgow

I used to love playing Doom on my cousins PC! Keep meaning to play Doom Eternal.

Think the most I ever played fps was on the ps2. Timesplitters, Medal of Honour, 007 etc

By *tarboy8696Man
42 weeks ago

kirkintilloch

Anyone play mighty doom on there phone? It's how I look busy at work lol

By *ore4fundevonCouple
42 weeks ago

West Devon

I remember playing them all Wolfenstein 3d, Quake, Duke Nukem, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Half Life. To name my favourite fps games. Used to love a LAN session (pre high speed Internet) with mates.

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
42 weeks ago

Bristol

I love Doom!

I'm still amazed how well it holds up for a 30 year old game.

Blasting through hordes of enemies with the shotgun never get's old.

I'm still yet to make it through Doom Final Chapter (it's nails)

Doom 64 is an underrated gem that any fan should play through.

By *abtastic Mr FoxMan
42 weeks ago

A den in the Glen

Doom was brilliant. I then moved to Quake 2 (3 was a let down for me). Resident Evil, then started to play FPS like Counterstrike and Rainbow 6.

Always had time for the oldies like Micro machines, Command and Conquer (Red Alert 2), commando, sensible soccer.

42 weeks ago

"

C64 is tricky one, as getting a 60hz c64 is likely going to need to be imported, and although they're not rare at all, the question is do you even want an NTSC c64? As pretty much the vast majority of games (and most of the best games) came out in Europe for the 50hz computer. That might be a situation where if you don't have space for an old tv, maybe you would be better off getting one of the modern remakes like the C64 mini/maxi, which basically an emulator running on a raspberry pit in a fancy case, but way more user friendly. "

Totally agreed, also I have all my old discs and cartridge for c64 so that’s got to be pal.

I’ve played the modern ones and they don’t feel right. They make me smile but they don’t give me the full on I’m 8 again experience.

Probably I’ll wait a few months on that one because I’ll be moving and clearly I need a games room first.

By *hawn ScottMan
42 weeks ago

london Brixton

I forgot Unreal, amazing graphics for the time.

Games today still use the "unreal engine" ???

By *tylebender03Man
42 weeks ago

Manchester

Classic game, I used to play vs my brother via network connection. Good times

Post new Message to Thread