Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Diet and exercise

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Do fat people really have a choice? And do they want one?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Do fat people really have a choice? And do they want one?"

My doctor asked me last year why I thought I'd put on weight. I said I love to eat but hate to move.

He looked at me in shock. Why? He said he'd never heard an overweight person say that. So far this year I've lost over three stones by simply reducing carbs and fat and walking two miles a day.

Was my weight affecting me? Not really, but after my solo travels last year I want to visit Peru, Java, China etc and my weight will be a hinderance.

I'm finding it easy, doesn't mean others will or want to, how others live their lives not my business is it?

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

do skinny/slim people. Not everything is as cut and dried as first appears.

I would love to put weight back on, but can't...

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Should the question possibly be "Do..... (to be completed by whoever) have a choice?

I think we have choices in life but we also have priorities. Some people some of the time put diet and exercise as top priority in a (succesful or vain) attempt to have a longer life expectancy.

I love my food and I dont want to worry about what I eat, when I eat and how many calories it contains. But I do counteract this by going to the gym (I like it) and by being very active (by choice)

Other people have different priorities.. and that is ok. As above, people do have choices but not everybody makes diet and exercise their top one.

And neither should they be forced to I think.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

a choice in what

wether they are fat or wether they diet and exercise?

Id say yes to either, we all have a choice in what we eat and do

over a year ago

"

I would love to put weight back on, but can't... "

show off

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I'm 6ft 2inches tall but weigh only about 11 stone, I have a fast metabolism and can't put on weight distribution as I'd like to, I go to the gym regularly, don't smoke, don't drink a huge amount and am veggie. I wish I had more muscle tone. The grass isn't always greener.

over a year ago

OMG lol .. Weight loss or weight gain comes down to two things.. How much you eat. And .. How much you move ..

That's it ..

There are very few medical conditions which mean you can't exercise in some way! You don't have to train like ant athlete.. Just get off your asses and stop finding reasons to not do it..

By *umplay1969Man
over a year ago

Coggeshall

"Do fat people really have a choice? And do they want one?

I would love to put weight back on, but can't... "

I'd love to put some weight on you ! lol

over a year ago

"I'm 6ft 2inches tall but weigh only about 11 stone, I have a fast metabolism and can't put on weight distribution as I'd like to, I go to the gym regularly, don't smoke, don't drink a huge amount and am veggie. I wish I had more muscle tone. The grass isn't always greener."

Get a good personal trainer.. For muscle tone more reps and less weight..try doing NFL training drills (youtube) there awesome!

over a year ago

"OMG lol .. Weight loss or weight gain comes down to two things.. How much you eat. And .. How much you move ..

That's it ..

There are very few medical conditions which mean you can't exercise in some way! You don't have to train like ant athlete.. Just get off your asses and stop finding reasons to not do it..

"

some people do find it harder to loose weight, im very very active, i cycle about 30 mile a day and i go to the gym about 5 times a week and im still over weight, i dont have anything wrong with me i just dont seem to loose weight easy, everyone i know comments i should be a size 8 with the amount of cycling i do

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"I'm 6ft 2inches tall but weigh only about 11 stone, I have a fast metabolism and can't put on weight distribution as I'd like to, I go to the gym regularly, don't smoke, don't drink a huge amount and am veggie. I wish I had more muscle tone. The grass isn't always greener."
You MAY (tentativeley said as I dont know much else about you) not be getting enough protein whcih is the important building block for muscles. I ll pm you x

over a year ago

I would love to put weight back on, but can't... I'd love to put some weight on you ! lol

"

If you go in one end ill get in the other .. We will make her put some right weight on.. Although I won't last long .. 3 mins aprox

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Is it fat focus month on Fab or something? I think I missed the memo

Yes we have a choice as do the majoritzy of the population. I wwonder what the OP's motives are posting this thread? Are they waiting for the trip trapping noises over their bridge perhaps???

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Is it fat focus month on Fab or something? I think I missed the memo

Yes we have a choice as do the majoritzy of the population. I wwonder what the OP's motives are posting this thread? Are they waiting for the trip trapping noises over their bridge perhaps??? "

TBH I think it is the time of year when many people are on guilt trips from Christmas indulgence. It does seem more topical this time of year.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Well i lost 8 stone and got prolactinoma, the only blessing is if hadnt have lost so much weight id probley be about thirty stone by now.

There still finding the right dosage of medication for me and once its settled in the weight will come of again. To be honest it devastated me after the hard work, but i wont give in.

over a year ago

Yes we have a choice as do the majoritzy of the population. I wwonder what the OP's motives are posting this thread? Are they waiting for the trip trapping noises over their bridge perhaps??? "

What's this daft obsession with calling people "trolls" if they as a question or make a comment that isn't immediately applauded by the fab forum squatters?

Would you have a debate with someone in really life and use the word troll when you find there view is different to yours?.. Pmsl .. Some of you lot crack me up hahaha

over a year ago

evesham

Yes we have a choice as do the majoritzy of the population. I wwonder what the OP's motives are posting this thread? Are they waiting for the trip trapping noises over their bridge perhaps??? TBH I think it is the time of year when many people are on guilt trips from Christmas indulgence. It does seem more topical this time of year. "

Personal guilt trips are one thing and if the OP and the countless other threads aimed at fat people were asking for help etc then I'd accept that argument but this just seems as another Lets poke the fatty thread to me.

over a year ago

We all have choices about what we eat.my weight goes up and down periodically.when I am good i am a size 8 to 10 and when I not so good i am 10 to 12. Which I currently am.i do exercise most nights though with high intensity exercise.so its not always what you eat but how much exercise you do that dictates your body shape and fat on your body.i find when I am 10 to 12 .i have more attention when out in pubs or clubs than when I am a leaner size 8 to 10 and feel sexier.so prehaps people don't like ultra skinny look on me.i don't know.poppyxx

over a year ago

evesham

Yes we have a choice as do the majoritzy of the population. I wwonder what the OP's motives are posting this thread? Are they waiting for the trip trapping noises over their bridge perhaps???

What's this daft obsession with calling people "trolls" if they as a question or make a comment that isn't immediately applauded by the fab forum squatters?

Would you have a debate with someone in really life and use the word troll when you find there view is different to yours?.. Pmsl .. Some of you lot crack me up hahaha "

Mmmmmm no because troll is a term generally used online.

Plus the OP hasn't stated a view, they have asked an incendiary question.

I have no problem with people having different views to me and welcome any well thought out, informed discussion

over a year ago

I don't really understand why people are chiming in here to point out that they're struggling to put on weight - having the opposite problem to someone doesn't take anything away from their problem, does it?

By *ig jugsWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

I think some everweight people are overweight because of money issues.It is chealer to eat high fat foods and junk foods than buy healthy stuff, and some on benefits may not be able to afford the gym or have no confidence to exercise.I think people do have a choice to a degree but the individuals life also dictates a lot. Food addicts for instance need help, just like drug addicts etc.

over a year ago

"I'm 6ft 2inches tall but weigh only about 11 stone, I have a fast metabolism and can't put on weight distribution as I'd like to, I go to the gym regularly, don't smoke, don't drink a huge amount and am veggie. I wish I had more muscle tone. The grass isn't always greener.

Get a good personal trainer.. For muscle tone more reps and less weight..try doing NFL training drills (youtube) there awesome! "

Bulking up muscle tone takes alot more fuel than you'd expect and shit loads more time and money than most are prepared to part with!!

You get out what you put in..;-)...as always!

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Did I choose to be eight stones heavier than I am now? No, I didn't. I didn't know about carb addiction back then but I do now.

I'm eight stones lighter and of normal weight without the help of one minutes worth of exercise. My diet has changed for the rest of my life as has my outlook.

Don't believe the bollocks that's spouted by the government or the popular press, it's all based on dodgy science, funded by the food industry. Google Ancel Keys and look what he did to the ever growing population of obese humans.

over a year ago

"I think some everweight people are overweight because of money issues.It is chealer to eat high fat foods and junk foods than buy healthy stuff, and some on benefits may not be able to afford the gym or have no confidence to exercise.I think people do have a choice to a degree but the individuals life also dictates a lot. Food addicts for instance need help, just like drug addicts etc. "

Cheaper or easier? Sure, steak breakfasts and all that aren't cheap but you don't *have* to spend a lot to eat well - a lot of vegetarian meals for example are ludicrously cheap.

By *asey369Woman
over a year ago

London

Body shape is partially genetic though and can only be changed to some extent by diet and exercise. For example (without surgery) I am never going to have big tits, whilst some women are lucky enough to born with more curvey figures. This means I'm not everyones cup of tea, but attractive to others.

By *hris148Man
over a year ago

"Should the question possibly be "Do..... (to be completed by whoever) have a choice?

I think we have choices in life but we also have priorities. Some people some of the time put diet and exercise as top priority in a (succesful or vain) attempt to have a longer life expectancy.

I love my food and I dont want to worry about what I eat, when I eat and how many calories it contains. But I do counteract this by going to the gym (I like it) and by being very active (by choice)

Other people have different priorities.. and that is ok. As above, people do have choices but not everybody makes diet and exercise their top one.

And neither should they be forced to I think. "

Too right!

over a year ago

The obsession is weight but it shouldn't be! It should be about how you look and feel.

Far too many people get hung up on what is showing up on the scales. My ex was size 8-10 and a great body but she had it in her head that she had to be her ideal weight. I think it was about 8 stone which I thought was nonsense, she admitted and I thought that she looked better as a size 10.

I weighed around 15 stone an decided I wanted to lose weight which I did I got down to around 13.5 then I upped the weight training along side regular spinning classes I know weigh 14 stone, I'm in the best shape I've been in since 18 and probably fitter than I was then.

To answer the ops question yes everyone does have a choice but as in every day life people don't always get their own way factors such as work, family commitments an medical conditions can all get in the way.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"The obsession is weight but it shouldn't be! It should be about how you look and feel.

Far too many people get hung up on what is showing up on the scales. My ex was size 8-10 and a great body but she had it in her head that she had to be her ideal weight. I think it was about 8 stone which I thought was nonsense, she admitted and I thought that she looked better as a size 10.

I weighed around 15 stone an decided I wanted to lose weight which I did I got down to around 13.5 then I upped the weight training along side regular spinning classes I know weigh 14 stone, I'm in the best shape I've been in since 18 and probably fitter than I was then.

To answer the ops question yes everyone does have a choice but as in every day life people don't always get their own way factors such as work, family commitments an medical conditions can all get in the way."

good post

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"I don't really understand why people are chiming in here to point out that they're struggling to put on weight - having the opposite problem to someone doesn't take anything away from their problem, does it?"

chiming in? Surely I am allowed to put my opinion over in a PUBLIC forum. The OP's point was about choice and as I stated, it's not always down to choice!!

over a year ago

"chiming in? Surely I am allowed to put my opinion over in a PUBLIC forum. The OP's point was about choice and as I stated, it's not always down to choice!! "

It's a public forum, yes, but it's also somebody's thread. Normal etiquette on forums is that if you're replying to somebody's thread you say something relevant. If you just want to talk about something of your own you'd normally start your own thread.

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"chiming in? Surely I am allowed to put my opinion over in a PUBLIC forum. The OP's point was about choice and as I stated, it's not always down to choice!!

It's a public forum, yes, but it's also somebody's thread. Normal etiquette on forums is that if you're replying to somebody's thread you say something relevant. If you just want to talk about something of your own you'd normally start your own thread."

Sorry got to disagree here. The OP question was do they have a choice.

Fmuma said not always. So it was pertinent to the OP. not like she started talking about washing powder or something totally OT!

over a year ago

We are all diffrent and and lose and gain weight at diffrent speeds. But the simple principle is if you take in less calories and exercise you will loose weight.

84% of your weight is determined by your diet so if you just exercise and eat what you want you will probably stay at the level you are now. It will benefit you but probably not in the weight loss sense.

over a year ago

Yes we have a choice as do the majoritzy of the population. I wwonder what the OP's motives are posting this thread? Are they waiting for the trip trapping noises over their bridge perhaps??? TBH I think it is the time of year when many people are on guilt trips from Christmas indulgence. It does seem more topical this time of year.

Personal guilt trips are one thing and if the OP and the countless other threads aimed at fat people were asking for help etc then I'd accept that argument but this just seems as another Lets poke the fatty thread to me. "

Why do you think it's a poke the fatty thread? Surely it's just a question.

OP- Yes I think people have a choice. No I don't think they always want a choice. Excuses.. yes.

I am podgy because I want to be. I don't feel bad about it. I don't want people saying I'm not podgy either. I am me and I am happy.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"chiming in? Surely I am allowed to put my opinion over in a PUBLIC forum. The OP's point was about choice and as I stated, it's not always down to choice!!

It's a public forum, yes, but it's also somebody's thread. Normal etiquette on forums is that if you're replying to somebody's thread you say something relevant. If you just want to talk about something of your own you'd normally start your own thread."

Hi Rebel - I am curious now. I was under the impression that it was ok to post something of your own as it kind of gives the thread a different angle and that sometimes is helpful. I thought Fmuma's post was helpful in as much as it made me think that it people who are struggling with weight are not always struggling with too much weight.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"We are all diffrent and and lose and gain weight at diffrent speeds. But the simple principle is if you take in less calories and exercise you will loose weight.

84% of your weight is determined by your diet so if you just exercise and eat what you want you will probably stay at the level you are now. It will benefit you but probably not in the weight loss sense."

Can I ask (I am not disputing, only curious) where the precise figure of 84 comes from. I heard it was "the majority" but I was not aware it could be given so accurately?

By *asey369Woman
over a year ago

London

It's a public forum, yes, but it's also somebody's thread. Normal etiquette on forums is that if you're replying to somebody's thread you say something relevant. If you just want to talk about something of your own you'd normally start your

own thread."

Sorry, I have to disagree too. The title of the thread is "Diet and Exercise" and the post was a perfectly valid contribution to the debate.

over a year ago

It's a public forum, yes, but it's also somebody's thread. Normal etiquette on forums is that if you're replying to somebody's thread you say something relevant. If you just want to talk about something of your own you'd normally start your

own thread.

Sorry, I have to disagree too. The title of the thread is "Diet and Exercise" and the post was a perfectly valid contribution to the debate.

"

over a year ago

"Sorry got to disagree here. The OP question was do they have a choice.

Fmuma said not always. So it was pertinent to the OP. not like she started talking about washing powder or something totally OT! "

No, she didn't say that. She asked a separate question, "do skinny/slim people?", said that not everything is cut and dried and then said she'd love to but weight on but she can't.

Unless I'm missing something, nothing in that either answers (or even really addresses) the OP's question.

over a year ago

Do thin people have a choice? And do they want one? What do you think the answer is?

By *asey369Woman
over a year ago

London

"Sorry got to disagree here. The OP question was do they have a choice.

Fmuma said not always. So it was pertinent to the OP. not like she started talking about washing powder or something totally OT!

No, she didn't say that. She asked a separate question, "do skinny/slim people?", said that not everything is cut and dried and then said she'd

love to but weight on but she can't.

Unless I'm missing something, nothing in that

either answers (or even really addresses) the OP's question."

Because "fat" and "thin" are both body shapes, with the question being how much they are effected by diet and exercise. It was an interesting and useful post.

over a year ago

"Hi Rebel - I am curious now. I was under the impression that it was ok to post something of your own as it kind of gives the thread a different angle and that sometimes is helpful. I thought Fmuma's post was helpful in as much as it made me think that it people who are struggling with weight are not always struggling with too much weight."

Different angles *can* be relevant and helpful, sure, but I don't see it in this case.

It's not like the OP suggested that all weight problems are those of overweight people, is it? Why would that need saying?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Once a thread goes public anyone can answer waht they like on it,whether it is relavent or not and in this case it was perfectly relivent. Or are we no longer allowed to put different points of view across?

over a year ago

Talking of fat people have you noticed when a comedian takes the piss out of a particular fat person they get grief for it and yes I am talking about the adel thing but yet the news and other comedians slag fat people off and demonises them all the time but because they are no specifics it seems to be socially acceptable this smacks of hypocrisy to me I am not fat on any level but I know a fat person who is a better nicer person than the non fat people I know , in fact back in the day being fat was a sign of success and wealth when did all that change I think it's in your jeans and put it this way if you had a fat person and a thin person and there was no food left the fat person would live longer

over a year ago

"We are all diffrent and and lose and gain weight at diffrent speeds. But the simple principle is if you take in less calories and exercise you will loose weight.

84% of your weight is determined by your diet so if you just exercise and eat what you want you will probably stay at the level you are now. It will benefit you but probably not in the weight loss sense."

So, bones, organs, water and blood, (not to mentin tissue matter) equals 16% of body matter??

over a year ago

"Because "fat" and "thin" are both body shapes, with the question being how much they are effected by diet and exercise. It was an interesting and useful post."

No, that's just not true. The question was quite plainly, "Do fat people really have a choice?" It said nothing at all about thin people.

over a year ago

84% of your weight is determined by your diet so if you just exercise and eat what you want you will probably stay at the level you are now. It will benefit you but probably not in the weight loss sense.Can I ask (I am not disputing, only curious) where the precise figure of 84

comes from. I heard it was "the majority" but I was not aware it could be given so accurately?

"

I got it from a sports nutrition book but that's if you combine the two together.

If you don't exercise then its 100% diet.

over a year ago

"Once a thread goes public anyone can answer waht they like on it,whether it is relavent or not and in this case it was perfectly relivent. Or are we no longer allowed to put different points of view across?"

Apparently we're not, no. Or is it just people other than me who are?

By *asey369Woman
over a year ago

London

"Because "fat" and "thin" are both body shapes, with the question being how much they are effected by diet and exercise. It was an interesting and useful post.

No, that's just not true. The question was quite plainly, "Do fat people really have a choice?" It said nothing at all about thin people."

But the terms "fat" and "thin" are a measurement of the same thing - so clearly related.

over a year ago

"But the terms "fat" and "thin" are a measurement of the same thing - so clearly related."

Oh for christ's sake of course they're related. I never said they weren't related. Can you people just not read?

I give up.

By *asey369Woman
over a year ago

London

"But the terms "fat" and "thin" are a measurement of the same thing - so clearly related.

Oh for christ's sake of course they're related. I never said they weren't related. Can you people just not read?

I give up."

So the post was relevant.

Thank you for giving up

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

I was offering the opposite side of the coin regarding choice.

Yes, it was a separate question but still a valid one.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

84% of your weight is determined by your diet so if you just exercise and eat what you want you will probably stay at the level you are now. It will benefit you but probably not in the weight loss sense.Can I ask (I am not disputing, only curious) where the precise figure of 84

comes from. I heard it was "the majority" but I was not aware it could be given so accurately?

I got it from a sports nutrition book but that's if you combine the two together.

If you don't exercise then its 100% diet."

Ah ok, point taken. DOes the book say anything about the level and duration and type of exercise, eg is there a difference in whether I exercise high intensity everyday for 2 hours or whether I do half an hour walk 3 times a week? I am aware that more energy burnt equals a greater deficit but that is not what we are tlaking about here.. we are talking about metabolism I guess?

over a year ago

"But the terms "fat" and "thin" are a measurement of the same thing - so clearly related.

I give up.

So the post was relevant.

Thank you for giving up "

Well that's just a blatant non-sequitur, isn't it? Fatness and thinness are related concepts so a post about thinness must be relevant to a post about fatness? Think it through...

over a year ago

Sorry didn't explain myself well if you want to make changes to your weight its 84% diet and 16% exercise.

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

Do thin people have a choice? And do they want one? What do you think the answer is? "

not always and yes

By *eal_Dick_TurpinMan
over a year ago

Exeter

as my dad used to say, there weren't many fat bastards in Belsen...

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

I give up."

I can - kind of see where you are coming from. I would suggest though that people can comment in whatever way they feel their post is related to the topic. That, in my view has never beena bad influence on a thread.

What kills a thread sometimes is (not addressing this to you btw) when people start attacking others for their difference in life style/ opinions etc.

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Some do, some dont.

Not everything is as bland and white as yes or no.

Did I have a choice to get massive? Initially, no. Due to an accident, medication and the inability to be able to move for a long time without walking aides. (all excuses, but I accept it and dealing with it).

Am I doing something about it? Yes, but I've got a very very long way to go, and boy, don't I know it.

It doesn't take long to get fat, but seems like an age to get rid of a bit.

Yes, I'm still fat and doubt I will ever be slim, don't think its in my genes to ever be slim.

Im not as big as I was 5 years ago, I was at my biggest (a size 30/32 I'm ashamed to say) but now I'm a 20/22 (not proud or happy how I look so trying to do something about it) and Im back on a diet and braving exercise classes.

over a year ago

"I don't really understand why people are chiming in here to point out that they're struggling to put on weight - having the opposite problem to someone doesn't take anything away from their problem, does it?"

But, doesn't it point out that having the opposite problem makes it a problem? So _muma is pointing out that some people DON'T have a choice, whether its to put ON weight or take it OFF is irrelevent!

over a year ago

"I can - kind of see where you are coming from. I would suggest though that people can comment in whatever way they feel their post is related to the topic. That, in my view has never beena bad influence on a thread.

What kills a thread sometimes is (not addressing this to you btw) when people start attacking others for their difference in life style/ opinions etc."

Well yeah sure they can say something if they feel it's related. So why can't I express my surprise that people (multiple people that is) think something that is relevant when it just isn't? It's at least three now that have done the same thing, it seems interesting to me to wonder why they feel the need to join together the two issues. Why is that not allowed? (On a public forum where people can say whatever they like, and all that...)

over a year ago

"But, doesn't it point out that having the opposite problem makes it a problem? So _muma is pointing out that some people DON'T have a choice, whether its to put ON weight or take it OFF is irrelevent! "

I don't follow - makes what a problem? Surely some people being underweight doesn't make excess weight a problem? :S

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"Some do, some dont.

Not everything is as bland and white.

"

*black and white

Was thinking of food

over a year ago

"Some do, some dont.

Not everything is as bland and white.

*black and white

Was thinking of food "

Fat or thin I like them all (women that is)

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Some bloody shop gave me an old 50p piece in my change today.....

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"Some bloody shop gave me an old 50p piece in my change today....."

Sneaky gits. I got a Euro coin in my change once, keep it in my car for shopping trolleys if I havent got a £1 coin. Handy tip of the day

over a year ago

"But, doesn't it point out that having the opposite problem makes it a problem? So _muma is pointing out that some people DON'T have a choice, whether its to put ON weight or take it OFF is irrelevent!

I don't follow - makes what a problem? Surely some people being underweight doesn't make excess weight a problem? :S"

Maybe its just me m8, but i read her post as meaning that because she has a problem putting weight ON, maybe some some overweight people have a problem taking it OFF!!

The 'problem' could be a physical one or a mental one! But as i said, thats what i read it as!

over a year ago

"Some bloody shop gave me an old 50p piece in my change today....."

Cheeky sods! Heavy arn't they!

over a year ago

u can tell when someone is naturally chubby no matter what, and when sum one is just a lazy pig who drinks to much larger.

over a year ago

You mean most people have a sort of normal average weight for themselves, that their normal day to day regime dictates, lifestyle vs diet?

By *umplay1969Man
over a year ago

Coggeshall

as my dad used to say, there weren't many fat bastards in Belsen..."

My dad says the same thing !

over a year ago

It is inaccurate to say someone is overweight because of lack of exercise and over eating, many long term prescription drugs and various conditions cause weight gain, in addition they may make it extremely differcult to lose that weight.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Well, I have read a great deal about this which I found interesting. I suppose that if you are a bit overweight then, perhaps, there is a level of choice there. Choosing a poor diet and no exercise.

However, many recent studies have shown that once people start getting into the seriously obese category then it is not that cut and dried. For one thing they now know that certain foods are addictive - they did brain studies where they put obese people in a CAT scanner and offered them their favourite foods. The scans showed the addiction centres of their brains lit up when they did this which gives credence to the fact that some food types can become an addiction.

Then there is all the stuff about what is IN food which we do not understand. I have mentioned before about high fructose corn syrup on another thread like this. It is used in place of sugar in much processed food. It makes the body store more fat than conventional sugars and so the same amount of food makes people pile on more weight. But many people are unaware of that.

Seriously obese people are not necessarily, therefore, making a decision - it is not a choice - it becomes a real problem for which there is never a quick fix which is why there is so much bariatric surgery offered on the NHS now.

I know there are many other issues - but those are just two. Once people are obese it is very very difficult for them to reduce size - more so than if just a little overweight. And it is all too easy to blame them and vilify them which is hardly helpful.

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

It's a myth that slim people have a faster metabolism. The less you weigh the slower your metabolism is, because it takes fewer calories to maintain your weight. It fact the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Well, I have read a great deal about this which I found interesting. I suppose that if you are a bit overweight then, perhaps, there is a level of choice there. Choosing a poor diet and no exercise.

However, many recent studies have shown that once people start getting into the seriously obese category then it is not that cut and dried. For one thing they now know that certain foods are addictive - they did brain studies where they put obese people in a CAT scanner and offered them their favourite foods. The scans showed the addiction centres of their brains lit up when they did this which gives credence to the fact that some food types can become an addiction.

Then there is all the stuff about what is IN food which we do not understand. I have mentioned before about high fructose corn syrup on another thread like this. It is used in place of sugar in much processed food. It makes the body store more fat than conventional sugars and so the same amount of food makes people pile on more weight. But many people are unaware of that.

Seriously obese people are not necessarily, therefore, making a decision - it is not a choice - it becomes a real problem for which there is never a quick fix which is why there is so much bariatric surgery offered on the NHS now.

I know there are many other issues - but those are just two. Once people are obese it is very very difficult for them to reduce size - more so than if just a little overweight. And it is all too easy to blame them and vilify them which is hardly helpful."

good post!

over a year ago

Interesting ???

over a year ago

"It's a myth that slim people have a faster metabolism. The less you weigh the slower your metabolism is, because it takes fewer calories to maintain your weight. It fact the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. "

You've overlooked the possibility that because they're of a naturally small build, the body never really craves much in the way of calories hence they're typically small eaters too - they can try packing in extra calories in order to put on weight, but again, being naturally small means the body will probably have low muscle building potential too, and the excess calories they're making such an effort to consume will likely turn to fat.

over a year ago

If it was easy.......no one would have a problem.

Its never clear cut as a "choice"

other factors come into it.

over a year ago

hmmmm think this warrants closer investigation

over a year ago

"OMG lol .. Weight loss or weight gain comes down to two things.. How much you eat. And .. How much you move ..

That's it ..

"

on yer bike

over a year ago

"I'm 6ft 2inches tall but weigh only about 11 stone, I have a fast metabolism and can't put on weight distribution as I'd like to, I go to the gym regularly, don't smoke, don't drink a huge amount and am veggie. I wish I had more muscle tone. The grass isn't always greener.You MAY (tentativeley said as I dont know much else about you) not be getting enough protein whcih is the important building block for muscles. I ll pm you x"

hmmmmm pm eh? penis massage, .......

over a year ago

84% of your weight is determined by your diet so if you just exercise and eat what you want you will probably stay at the level you are now. It will benefit you but probably not in the weight loss sense.Can I ask (I am not disputing, only curious) where the precise figure of 84 comes from. I heard it was "the majority" but I was not aware it could be given so accurately? "

its two times 42 - the answer to the universe n everyting.

over a year ago

Why is it that when a forum like this is posted, the bigger or fatter or whatever you want to call them, bbws even... feel a dire need to defend their size?

You dont find us blokes doing the same on a how big is your cock post... or beer belly posts.

If your fat thats your choice oh and tablets dont make you fat, cravings and satisfying them do.If you have an under active thyroid, then you need to eat less to let it catch up. But please stop jumping into these forums all guns blazing when its your choice how you look and feel about it. If you dont like being big, do something about it. If you like being big, then enjoy. But stop trolling these posts with your moans that people are picking on you.

Phew rant over... and breathe ...

over a year ago

It's a public forum, yes, but it's also somebody's thread. Normal etiquette on forums is that if you're replying to somebody's thread you say something relevant. If you just want to talk about something of your own you'd normally start your own thread.

Once a thread goes public anyone can answer waht they like on it,whether it is relavent or not and in this case it was perfectly relivent. Or are we no longer allowed to put different points of view across?"

By *udereMan
over a year ago

haringey

"If it was easy.......no one would have a problem.

other factors come into it. "

Well said!

over a year ago

I've made my choice chicken tikka masala and super size it please

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"If it was easy.......no one would have a problem.

other factors come into it. "

Careful!! I got pelters for saying the same thing earlier.

over a year ago

Lol.

dont care.......

If i had my choice in matters, i would be 6ft, have a little ass like kylie and be drop dead gorgeous....

Life aint like that so we have to make the best of what we have and that goes for trying to manage hard situations and live decently....sod the diet police

Life is way to short to stress

over a year ago

Or to diet ...

over a year ago

we all have a diet. some of us a fairly regular one, some veggie, some vegan, some carb free, some grain free,some erratic, some extreme. There's all sorts but we all have a diet of some kind.

over a year ago

"Or to diet ... "

Oh i do that, i just dont shout about it

over a year ago

Nor me, btw is eating tuna at this time of night good for me???

over a year ago

a light snack will do no harm but more than that and your body will not rest completely.

Doc B. Nice

over a year ago

I should launch this box of wine out the window then? grrrr

over a year ago

perhaps you'd like me to give you the once over, just to make sure you are in good form and fit?

over a year ago

"I should launch this box of wine out the window then? grrrr "

oh no, let's not be hasty. May I suggest a few friends around and share?

over a year ago

Medway to Fife... 545 miles, we do it regularly lol Come on your Gills...

over a year ago

if I came would you show me your lochness monster?

By *exki11enWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

"It is chealer to eat high fat foods and junk foods than buy healthy stuff, "

This is not true. It's EASIER to buy junk food, it is not cheaper.

Post new Message to Thread