Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Number plates on Push Bikes

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
44 weeks ago

Chelmsford

The Chief of Police for London is waging war and suggesting that cyclists must have number plates on their backs to hold them to account. What's going on here guys? It's all over the news

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
44 weeks ago

Good, bloody nuisance.

By *illy IdolMan
44 weeks ago

Midlands

It all over their back

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
44 weeks ago

Bristol

No that will be awful...

I won't be able to get away with jumping red lights.

Riding 15mph on pavements... then slowing to a crawl in the middle of the road.

It's not fair

By *ndycoinsMan
44 weeks ago

Whaley Bridge,Nr Buxton,

About time,the law applies to them to

By *r_reusMan
44 weeks ago

Coventry

Nothing happens in London today which isn't a joke.

44 weeks ago

Cops can’t even enforce the current legislation to motorised vehicles effectively. There’s pretty much zero point in applying it to non-motorised vehicles.

44 weeks ago

Sounds good as a percentage of bike riders think the Highway Code doesn't apply to them.

By *ustamanMan
44 weeks ago

weymouth

It's another clikbait reactionary media post

44 weeks ago

Never going to happen, absolute waste of time.

By *octor ProdMan
44 weeks ago

working Overseas

"The Chief of Police for London is waging war and suggesting that cyclists must have number plates on their backs to hold them to account. What's going on here guys? It's all over the news"

Hasn't he got enough on his plate with corruption, misogyny & racism in the Met, rising crime and low levels of trust in the Met. Now he goes on about cyclists. Tell you what; get every unlicenced driver ans illegal vehicle off the road. Stop speeders and bad drivers then we can talk

Is this also just cyclists or does it include cunts on bikes? If it doesn't he can go fuck himself

By *illybeachboyMan
44 weeks ago

Guernsey

I remember when I was a kid that cycles here in my home island had number plates, they were done away with many years ago. However I'm all in favour of their return and cyclists paying road tax and being caught/fined for traffic misdemeanors.

By *ndycoinsMan
44 weeks ago

Whaley Bridge,Nr Buxton,

"I remember when I was a kid that cycles here in my home island had number plates, they were done away with many years ago. However I'm all in favour of their return and cyclists paying road tax and being caught/fined for traffic misdemeanors. "

By *inaTitzTV/TS
44 weeks ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Not this again?

Typical clickbait. There are a million problems in this country and this just generates headlines.

By *icolerobbieCouple
44 weeks ago

walsall

"The Chief of Police for London is waging war and suggesting that cyclists must have number plates on their backs to hold them to account. What's going on here guys? It's all over the news"

Or more likely all over the road, Tom.

Nice bit of deflection from the chief.

Maybe he should start and get his own house in order first before deflecting his short comings in normal people cycling to work or working as food delivery.

There is an element of youngsters on bikes in London who wheelie everywhere, swerving in and out of traffic on one wheel and causing all sorts of mayhem.

Their YouTube videos make for amusing watching, until someone gets seriously hurt.

Search little Harry on YouTube for a taste.

44 weeks ago

I'll never do it!

By *sexman1Man
44 weeks ago

north oxfordshire

It is about time cyclist got stopped doing what they like on the roads and get away with it

By *ust RachelTV/TS
44 weeks ago

Horsham

"I remember when I was a kid that cycles here in my home island had number plates, they were done away with many years ago. However I'm all in favour of their return and cyclists paying road tax and being caught/fined for traffic misdemeanors. "

Unless you were born before 1930, you haven't paid for road tax

It was scrapped back in the 1930's, you now pay vehicle excise duty. It is set on how much crap comes out of your exhaust.

I own a 2014 ford focus diesel, I don't pay anything. I go on the DVLA website, then it gets renewed for free. I also don't pay anything on my electric volvo, as it is a company car.

I really feel sorry for those that have to pay a duty, to drive thier cars on the road.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
44 weeks ago

Horsham

"It is about time cyclist got stopped doing what they like on the roads and get away with it"

Why should they be stopped enjoying the roads?

BMW, Audi, Mercedes, 4X4, van drivers and the muppets who think, they are an extra in fast and furious drive like the rules don't apply to them.

By *icolerobbieCouple
44 weeks ago

walsall

"I remember when I was a kid that cycles here in my home island had number plates, they were done away with many years ago. However I'm all in favour of their return and cyclists paying road tax and being caught/fined for traffic misdemeanors.

Unless you were born before 1930, you haven't paid for road tax

It was scrapped back in the 1930's, you now pay vehicle excise duty. It is set on how much crap comes out of your exhaust.

I own a 2014 ford focus diesel, I don't pay anything. I go on the DVLA website, then it gets renewed for free. I also don't pay anything on my electric volvo, as it is a company car.

I really feel sorry for those that have to pay a duty, to drive thier cars on the road. "

Me too, both of our cars are zero VED and clean air zone compatible.

By *icolerobbieCouple
44 weeks ago

walsall

"I remember when I was a kid that cycles here in my home island had number plates, they were done away with many years ago. However I'm all in favour of their return and cyclists paying road tax and being caught/fined for traffic misdemeanors.

"

They already do. The law applies to cyclists as well.

By *red333Man
44 weeks ago

Dorchester

Number plates on bikes i doubt it but the powers that be would love it, accountability leave no stone unturned, fine them extra revenue for the kitty

By *alandNitaCouple
44 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

This isn't actually true...

It was a statement made in the House of Lords by " the former Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, Lord Hogan-Howe", not any "Current" member of the police.

The idea has been discussed many times in parliament, and as recently as August, been ruled out as a consideration.

In reality, the country's police are unable to do anything about the hundreds of thousands of "already illegal" electric scooters that already plague the roads and footpaths, the idea that they have the capacity to start checking pushbikes too is just total fantasy.

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
44 weeks ago

1127 walnut avenue

I have a number plate on my bike.. it's

4Q...

By *xposedInTheMaleMan
44 weeks ago

Cap d'Agde

While it's frustrating to be sat in traffic while bikes jump the queue, cracking down on them would just put more cars on the road and make things worse for the car drivers.

And a lot of rules genuinely don't apply to bikes - for example most speed limits only apply to motorised vehicles.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
44 weeks ago

ashford

Another cyclist bashing thread then??? x

44 weeks ago

There is no such thing as road tax. It’s emission tax you pay. Why don’t people understand this.

By *ogo1189Man
44 weeks ago

Rossendale

My two pence below. I should say that I’m referring to the Senior Officers within the Police below. I have no doubt there are some decent officers out there but I can’t justify what the decision makers are doing and the decent officers don’t seem to make it up the ranks.

I think it’s just a money making scheme. Police only like to enforce traffic laws because everything is more or less automated, traceable, and kind of petty (so not usually worth defending in court) so it’s easy to secure a conviction and/or fines

Only 6% of the rest of crimes (rape, burglary, arson, fraud, etc) are ever solved. When Suella Braverman is pointing that out and telling the Police to up their game: you know it’s gotten out of hand

There’s been a sudden spate of burglaries in our area. We all know who it is, it’s one guy. The Police, rather than acting on it, pushed through a couple of leaflets telling home owners how they could change their home to make it more secure.

They then hung up signs saying the area was being monitored for burglaries. The signs were nicked within the week.

Putting number plates on bikes just makes it easier to convict more people for road traffic offences and bring in more fines. Which are easier to prosecute, usually because of number plates.

This is what happens though when a government sets targets for reducing the number crimes (which the Police forces self-report) without putting an obligation on the Police to actually act on crimes reported.

If crimes aren’t recorded, rather than being sanctioned for failing the victims, the force simply gets told to revise their recording policy.

On the other hand: if the Police don’t prosecute, the number of crimes stays low. It looks like they’re doing their jobs without them actually needing to do it.

If the crimes stay too low, the Police can’t justify their budgets.

To offset that: they focus on road traffic offences and fine revenue. I suppose you could say the return on investment is higher for traffic convictions compared to burglary convictions

So, no. I don’t think cyclists should be monitored more. I think the Police should do the job the public expects them to do and focus on the more serious crimes.

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

"No that will be awful...

It's not fair "

… or leaving the scene of an accident

By *wisted999Man
44 weeks ago

North Bucks

Another revenue stream.

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

There is no such thing as road tax. It’s emission tax you pay. Why don’t people understand this."

Because it’s not true?

It’s vehicle excise duty … not vehicle emissions duty.

44 weeks ago

There is no such thing as road tax. It’s emission tax you pay. Why don’t people understand this.

Because it’s not true?

It’s vehicle excise duty … not vehicle emissions duty. "

Which is based on emissions

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

Because it’s not true?

Which is based on emissions "

It’s not an emissions tax

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

Because it’s not true?

Which is based on emissions "

If it was an emissions tax, it would be named as such.

The current method of assessing the tax is based on engine size or co2 emissions in many countries, but that can change. It is generally understood to be a road tax, and the income generated is spent on roads.

44 weeks ago

Cyclists should wear registration and have insurance. They should also have points on their DL for offence committed while cycling. Use the road you take the responsibility.

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
44 weeks ago

1127 walnut avenue

"Cyclists should wear registration and have insurance. They should also have points on their DL for offence committed while cycling. Use the road you take the responsibility. "

Well fuck that.. I'm riding on the pavement from now on..

44 weeks ago

"Cyclists should wear registration and have insurance. They should also have points on their DL for offence committed while cycling. Use the road you take the responsibility.

Well fuck that.. I'm riding on the pavement from now on.. "

Any cyclist coming at me in the pavement is going in the road anyway

By *r TriomanMan
44 weeks ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

As a cyclist, I'll do whatever the government wants me to do but... In return, I expect all same dedicated infrastructure and laws that cars have, no more being treated as a second rate road user, no more being bullied and intimidated; drivers will no longer have a half-bake excuse for not treating me as the legitimate road user that I am so yeah, bring it on!

By *ea monkeyMan
44 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

"It's another clikbait reactionary media post"

Ah! You’ve read Toms threads before then?

By *cott1962Man
44 weeks ago

Dumfriesshire

Not before time

44 weeks ago

"As a cyclist, I'll do whatever the government wants me to do but... In return, I expect all same dedicated infrastructure and laws that cars have, no more being treated as a second rate road user, no more being bullied and intimidated; drivers will no longer have a half-bake excuse for not treating me as the legitimate road user that I am so yeah, bring it on!"

That'll never happen mate, I can see just on this thread the hate towards us, this is the reason that people pass so close even though I'm not in the middle of the road, nearly getting knocked off at traffic lights and road junctions.

A small percentage drivers are awful, a good percentage are brilliant

By *r TriomanMan
44 weeks ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

....and for those saving that cyclist should pay Road Tax, happy with that too although, it's worth pointing out that Road Tax for a No-emissions vehicle is likely to be £0.00/year.

I'm also happy to pay insurance, 3rd Party Fire and Theft should cover it; in a motor vehicle/bicycle traffic incident, nine times out of ten, it's the driver of the Motor vehicles fault.

I'd feel more protected if the government did more to recognise my legitimacy as a cyclist and I don't mind paying for that.

Ironically, such actions by the government could see more cyclist on the roads, this could even result in higher insurance for motor vehicle drivers as insurance companies are forced to acknowledge that many drivers are a liability around cyclists.

By *hromosexualsCouple
44 weeks ago

Near Abercynon

" It is generally understood to be a road tax, and the income generated is spent on roads. "

It's not, it just goes in to the pot like all the other tax.

44 weeks ago

And as a cyclist I can confirm that most responsible cyclists have registered with their governing body (e.g. cycling Ireland) with specific identification and have insurance to cover using public roads.

So if you are a non cyclist and you wish to tell cyclists more about what they should be doing maybe think twice. I also have three cars at home and I pay insurance and tax for these too.

Bit fed up being treated like second class citizen when I’m on my bike by folk who clearly have no clue or empathy. Jus saying folk keep it horny.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
44 weeks ago

Central

When they've seized and removed all electric scooters, they can target and stop all motor vehicle dangerous driving. . Probably take about a week, in fantasy island

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
44 weeks ago

Chelmsford

There needs to more technology used here. Bicycles should be chipped for starters. Pulling a wheelie on a public road should be banned and better cameras installed in cycle crime hotspots. Anyone caught wheelieng a bicycle on one wheel should have the bicycle seized and clowns should be made to carry theirs home

By *icolerobbieCouple
44 weeks ago

walsall

"Cyclists should wear registration and have insurance. They should also have points on their DL for offence committed while cycling. Use the road you take the responsibility.

Well fuck that.. I'm riding on the pavement from now on..

Any cyclist coming at me in the pavement is going in the road anyway "

Just like the lady who pushed the cyclist to her death last year?

By *icolerobbieCouple
44 weeks ago

walsall

Because it’s not true?

Which is based on emissions

If it was an emissions tax, it would be named as such.

The current method of assessing the tax is based on engine size or co2 emissions in many countries, but that can change. It is generally understood to be a road tax, and the income generated is spent on roads. "

Except it just isn’t.

By *xposedInTheMaleMan
44 weeks ago

Cap d'Agde

"Pulling a wheelie on a public road should be banned "

Why? Are you aware of huge numbers of people getting injured by other people doing wheelies?

Or is it just that you want to live in a society where the government controls everything we do, not for any benefit, but just because they can? You might be on the wrong web site for that...

By *mizhereMan
44 weeks ago

claregalways hotel tonight

Think bikes have a responsibility on the road - so insurance and identification a good thing

By *inkyguyUKMan
44 weeks ago

worcester

It's not fair "

exactly and when I knock over people I like the fact I am pretty untradable at the moment

By *ervent_fervourMan
44 weeks ago

Halifax

What's road tax?

(Cyclist here)

By *ervent_fervourMan
44 weeks ago

Halifax

"It is about time cyclist got stopped doing what they like on the roads and get away with it"

Did you mean some motorists?

You know, the ones knackering up our roads, killing people and polluting our lungs, air, and environment in their 3 tonne mental machines?

I'm with you on that pal.

On an added note, I think all Deliveroo and other food delivery couriers SHOULD have unique reg codes of some sort emblazoned down their backpacks.

By *otsossieMan
44 weeks ago

Chesterfield

"What's road tax?

(Cyclist here)

"

Indeed. VED.

This isn’t the solution. The people causing a nuisance are the same ones who ride dirt bikes in balaclavas or those dodgy illegal Chinese e-motorbikes.

They know they’re flaunting the rules and either don’t care or think it’s funny.

If folk are annoyed in traffic it’s because there’s too much traffic, public transport is shit, and they deliberately design roads to annoy people by constantly hitting red lights.

If everyone was on bikes there simply wouldn’t be any traffic. But we’d all be wet, tired, and a bit sweaty.

By *otsossieMan
44 weeks ago

Chesterfield

"On an added note, I think all Deliveroo and other food delivery couriers SHOULD have unique reg codes of some sort emblazoned down their backpacks. "

I think if someone is cycling as a business then that’s fair.

I also think it’s responsible to wear a helmet and gloves and get indemnity insurance. But then I’ve woken up in hospital following a snakebite puncture, so I’m probably a bit biased.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
44 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I think all bicycles should only be aloud to have square wheels.

That would sort the buggers out.

44 weeks ago

"I think all bicycles should only be aloud to have square wheels.

That would sort the buggers out. "

Thanks for your input

44 weeks ago

Push bike? Haha. I’ve not heard them called that since …ever.

44 weeks ago

What I've got from this thread is cyclists are a tad argumentative. Maybe need looser lycra.

By *ullyMan
44 weeks ago

Near Clacton

Good idea and make them pay a licence fee like all other road users and make insurance compulsory!

I see a lot of these Lycra clad idiots filming their antics and confrontations for YouTube, and the most noticeable things are they flout the law, think they own the road, and use illegal cycles. Police set up and stopped a lot of these "Lycra Louts in London and took several to court for riding bikes that were built solely for velodromes, basically they had no brakes. Also They race around like lunatics, whereas as an insured motorist we are banned from any form of racing or peacemaking,

which is what a lot of these cyclists do. As usual though it is the minority that give sensible cyclists a bad name. Interestingly as far as I experienced in my time there hardly any of these Lycra Lads in Oxford where there are literally many hundreds of cyclists.

By *ostindreamsMan
44 weeks ago

London

I regularly see cyclists in central London skipping signals and riding dangerously into pedestrian traffic. I know of two guys who have been injured by these cyclists in the last two years. It's high time we made them accountable.

By *uffolkcouple-bi onlyCouple
44 weeks ago

West Suffolk

"The Chief of Police for London is waging war and suggesting that cyclists must have number plates on their backs to hold them to account. What's going on here guys? It's all over the news

Hasn't he got enough on his plate with corruption, misogyny & racism in the Met, rising crime and low levels of trust in the Met. Now he goes on about cyclists. Tell you what; get every unlicenced driver ans illegal vehicle off the road. Stop speeders and bad drivers then we can talk

Is this also just cyclists or does it include cunts on bikes? If it doesn't he can go fuck himself"

Why do they have to get every unlicensed driver off the road before they hold cyclists account for their actions?

By *otsossieMan
44 weeks ago

Chesterfield

"Good idea and make them pay a licence fee like all other road users and make insurance compulsory!"

Vehicles are taxed on emissions. As electric vehicles increase this isn’t sustainable, but under the current model bicycles would be free.

Under whatever taxation model they bring in in the future (road pricing?) this might not be the case, but it would be almost impossible to police.

By *otsossieMan
44 weeks ago

Chesterfield

"I regularly see cyclists in central London skipping signals and riding dangerously into pedestrian traffic."

This is entirely a London problem. Probably caused by the city being full of twats.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
44 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"On an added note, I think all Deliveroo and other food delivery couriers SHOULD have unique reg codes of some sort emblazoned down their backpacks.

I think if someone is cycling as a business then that’s fair.

I also think it’s responsible to wear a helmet and gloves and get indemnity insurance. But then I’ve woken up in hospital following a snakebite puncture, so I’m probably a bit biased. "

An actual snake bite attack?

44 weeks ago

Any of you guys live in Wales, 20mph cyclist,e bike and e scooter pass you by in your car

By *alandNitaCouple
44 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"Pulling a wheelie on a public road should be banned

Why? Are you aware of huge numbers of people getting injured by other people doing wheelies?

Or is it just that you want to live in a society where the government controls everything we do, not for any benefit, but just because they can? You might be on the wrong web site for that..."

Pulling a wheelie is already classed as "dangerous driving" when applied to motorbikes, and in the case of an accident it would also apply to cyclists under the new dangerous cycling laws.

Once the front wheel is off the ground, a rider is not able to control their bike with and degree of precision and is often the cause of accidents.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
44 weeks ago

Horsham

"Another cyclist bashing thread then??? x"

It is an Essex Tom speciality

By *ust RachelTV/TS
44 weeks ago

Horsham

It's not fair

… or leaving the scene of an accident "

Cars do that everyday and get away with it and they have number plates, why shouldn't cyclists have the same courtesy

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Cyclists should wear registration and have insurance. They should also have points on their DL for offence committed while cycling. Use the road you take the responsibility. "

Agreed. Means of identification, proof of insurance, and meaningful deterrents for ignoring the rules of the road are perfectly reasonable minimum standards for all road users.

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

"What I've got from this thread is cyclists are a tad argumentative. Maybe need looser lycra. "

Some of the more outspoken cyclists like to pretend that motorists and cyclists are entirely separate populations. But they’re not. Manu motorists also own a bike, so are very aware of what it is like being a cyclist. And they understand that if they break the rules of the road in their car they are far more likely to be identified and held accountable than if they do so on their bike. Only yesterday I heard a bloke say he was going to cycle home from his Xmas bash because he would be too pissed to drive, for example …

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

"I regularly see cyclists in central London skipping signals and riding dangerously into pedestrian traffic.

This is entirely a London problem. Probably caused by the city being full of twats. "

No, this behaviour is not confined to London

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
44 weeks ago

Leeds

So they should, I’ve know people have their car damaged by angry cyclists with no consequence, they just ride off leaving you with a nice bill, it’s about time they were regulated,

No more jumping red lights either, they should also enforce fines for the bellends who ride on the road when the path has a cycle lane next to it.

The mr

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

"So they should, I’ve know people have their car damaged by angry cyclists with no consequence, they just ride off leaving you with a nice bill, it’s about time they were regulated,

No more jumping red lights either, they should also enforce fines for the bellends who ride on the road when the path has a cycle lane next to it.

The mr "

Hard to argue with that. The current arrangement is ridiculous. And it’s not about victimising cyclists either, increasing accountability for the irresponsible cyclists would improve things for the responsible ones.

By *alandNitaCouple
44 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"So they should, I’ve know people have their car damaged by angry cyclists with no consequence, they just ride off leaving you with a nice bill, it’s about time they were regulated,

The mr "

Cycle lanes are great when done right, most however are NOT done right. Last summer's new rules for cyclists tell us that we should ride AT LEAST one meter from the kerb. Cycle lanes in towns are often not a wide as a meter, so even riding on the line is not "as specified".

The next issue to consider is that IF you want to mandate the use of cycle lanes, you need to keep other things out of them. On my normal ride too and from work, I will encounter several cars PARKED in the cycle lanes (on double yellows), cars coming into the lane to pass a vehicle turning right, cars driving across the cycle lane because there is a bend in the road, vehicles blocking the cycle lanes whilst they try to push their nose out into traffic, vehicles waiting in the "Advanced Stop Zone" at the traffic lights.

Then you find that everyone thinks that the cycle lanes are a good place to put things... Signs warning of roadworks ahead, bus stops, skips & wheelie bins, etc. Just last week, one stretch of cycle lane along a busy stretch of road was unusable all week because the road sweepers had swept all of the fallen leaves up into five (very neat) two foot tall piles... IN THE CYCLE LANE.

Another GRIPE I have with the cycling infrastructure is "Cyclist Dismount" instructions. There are many areas where the cycle path filters up onto the footpath with the expectation is that we "Get Off Our Bikes" to cross a road rather than riding. Near our house, is a pair of mini roundabouts next to each other. The expectation for turning right is: I should dismount at the first roundabout and walk to the second roundabout, walk across the "left turn" road, continue past the second mini roundabout, cross the road, walk back to the first mini roundabout and around the corner, now re-join the cycle lane. Bollox to that, I'm riding on the road like the rest of the traffic.

Ultimately, the MAIN issue that other road users have with cyclists is that we slow them down, and ultimately the few seconds that you spend behind me are soon caught up again, it will have ZERO impact on your journey... unlike replacing all of the bikes with cars, that would slow EVRYONE down.

Cal

By *alandNitaCouple
44 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

The mr

Hard to argue with that. The current arrangement is ridiculous. And it’s not about victimising cyclists either, increasing accountability for the irresponsible cyclists would improve things for the responsible ones. "

The people who already discount the rules will not pay any attention to any new rules either, new restrictions on cyclist will only effect those who already follow the existing laws.

Cal

By *ust RachelTV/TS
44 weeks ago

Horsham

"What I've got from this thread is cyclists are a tad argumentative. Maybe need looser lycra.

Some of the more outspoken cyclists like to pretend that motorists and cyclists are entirely separate populations. But they’re not. Manu motorists also own a bike, so are very aware of what it is like being a cyclist. And they understand that if they break the rules of the road in their car they are far more likely to be identified and held accountable than if they do so on their bike. Only yesterday I heard a bloke say he was going to cycle home from his Xmas bash because he would be too pissed to drive, for example … "

You sound like that is a bad alternative. Few years ago the was a bad crash on the A23, d*unk driver went into the back of a lorry. One passenger killed, one with life changes injuries, the driver had injuries as well. If a d*unk cyclist went into the back of a lorry, he would only injure himself. So much safer for everyone.

By *otsossieMan
44 weeks ago

Chesterfield

"Agreed. Means of identification, proof of insurance, and meaningful deterrents for ignoring the rules of the road are perfectly reasonable minimum standards for all road users. "

Last night I met a d*unk walking down the bypass with his back to traffic and a kid on a dirt bike pulling wheelies in the dark.

Neither had any means of identification or proof of insurance.

Likewise I’ve never seen a horse with number plates either.

By *alandNitaCouple
44 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"Agreed. Means of identification, proof of insurance, and meaningful deterrents for ignoring the rules of the road are perfectly reasonable minimum standards for all road users.

Last night I met a d*unk walking down the bypass with his back to traffic and a kid on a dirt bike pulling wheelies in the dark.

Neither had any means of identification or proof of insurance.

Likewise I’ve never seen a horse with number plates either."

Unfortunately, there are a lot of drivers who have an irrational hatred of cyclists, we are the "scum of the earth"

By *ehindHerEyesCouple
44 weeks ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

"I regularly see cyclists in central London skipping signals and riding dangerously into pedestrian traffic.

This is entirely a London problem. Probably caused by the city being full of twats.

No, this behaviour is not confined to London "

I agree, one of our customers is currently sorting a broken shoulder,arm and leg after being ridden into by an electric bike that skipped a crossing light.

Tinder

By *otsossieMan
44 weeks ago

Chesterfield

But that’s not a bicycle, it’s an illegal electric motorbike.

By *teveanddebsCouple
44 weeks ago

Norwich

"But that’s not a bicycle, it’s an illegal electric motorbike. "

How do you know it was illegal?

By *ickshawedCouple
44 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

It's completely impractical. How big does a numberplate need to be in order for people to read it? Where on earth would you put it on a bicycle?

Who's going to fund the computer system keeping track of them all?

What about child cyclists?

Demanding bicycles have numberplates is just a distraction from actual issues and a way to get people het up.

By *hunderace...Man
44 weeks ago

Dudley

Personally I think if they're ridden on the roads then a registration system should be required along with insurance, a pushbike could still cause £1000's in car damages should one scrape down your doors and wings.

They'll see it as an infringement on their liberty but I call it accountability.

By *xposedInTheMaleMan
44 weeks ago

Cap d'Agde

"Personally I think if they're ridden on the roads then a registration system should be required along with insurance, a pushbike could still cause £1000's in car damages should one scrape down your doors and wings.

"

All good arguments, that apply equally to pedestrians.

Speaking as someone who's had his car damaged by pedestrians and other cars, but never by a bike...

By *alandNitaCouple
44 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"But that’s not a bicycle, it’s an illegal electric motorbike.

How do you know it was illegal? "

It would have a numberplate if it was a legal one.

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

The mr

Hard to argue with that. The current arrangement is ridiculous. And it’s not about victimising cyclists either, increasing accountability for the irresponsible cyclists would improve things for the responsible ones.

The people who already discount the rules will not pay any attention to any new rules either, new restrictions on cyclist will only effect those who already follow the existing laws.

Cal"

Doesn’t that depend on how it’s implemented and enforced?

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

"What I've got from this thread is cyclists are a tad argumentative. Maybe need looser lycra.

Some of the more outspoken cyclists like to pretend that motorists and cyclists are entirely separate populations. But they’re not. Manu motorists also own a bike, so are very aware of what it is like being a cyclist. And they understand that if they break the rules of the road in their car they are far more likely to be identified and held accountable than if they do so on their bike. Only yesterday I heard a bloke say he was going to cycle home from his Xmas bash because he would be too pissed to drive, for example …

You sound like that is a bad alternative. Few years ago the was a bad crash on the A23, d*unk driver went into the back of a lorry. One passenger killed, one with life changes injuries, the driver had injuries as well. If a d*unk cyclist went into the back of a lorry, he would only injure himself. So much safer for everyone. "

And if I hit and kill a d*unk cyclist through no fault of my own, how do you think I feel?

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

"It's completely impractical. How big does a numberplate need to be in order for people to read it? Where on earth would you put it on a bicycle?

Who's going to fund the computer system keeping track of them all?

What about child cyclists?

Demanding bicycles have numberplates is just a distraction from actual issues and a way to get people het up. "

A distraction from the real issues? No, it’s a suggestion for dealing with a real issue. Yes, there are bigger issues, but does that mean we do nothing about anything else?

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Personally I think if they're ridden on the roads then a registration system should be required along with insurance, a pushbike could still cause £1000's in car damages should one scrape down your doors and wings.

They'll see it as an infringement on their liberty but I call it accountability. "

Agreed. But scratching a vehicle is a drop in the ocean in terms of cost compared to seriously injuring someone. Insurance should be mandatory

By *alandNitaCouple
44 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

The mr

Cal

Doesn’t that depend on how it’s implemented and enforced? "

You could say that about all of the existing laws that are being ignored. Currently, there are thousands of people riding about on electric scooters that are NOT LEGAL on public land. There are bikes illegally on the footpaths. There are bikes with no lights at night. Electric motorbikes with no lights/number-plates/insurance, riding through red lights. All of these things are instantly obvious as crimes but not being tackled. How is any new rules for cycling going to change that?

By *ervent_fervourMan
44 weeks ago

Halifax

"What I've got from this thread is cyclists are a tad argumentative. Maybe need looser lycra. "

It hurts when a multiple tonnes vehicle hits you. Or nearly hits you. Cue shouting, etc(if we have a bell drivers might not hear us. Not forgetting they'd feign not to care anyway even if they did).

Nothing like a near death experience to make you irrational.

Car drivers have l, you could argue, far more protection if someone cuts a corner in front of them or does a 'punishment' pass.

I try to empathise with car drivers, and some cyclists are just as self centredly cuntish as some car drivers.

But cars kill and maim.

Cyclists being twats is an issue, but a bit of perspective (amd reference to stats) would show that motorists being twats is on balance a far,far, bigger problem.

And causes far, far more harm.

So, in summary, motorists are a bit of a touchy lot.

Give em a week of commuting and having to yell at a driver on average at least twice on every journey due to being genuinely scared for their lives amd they'd soon change their tune when they appreciate the pervasive problems.

The banishing of ignorance always ends up with a better society.

Also: all motorists must be made to cycle at least one route as part of their driving lessons. Always good to actually live the other point of view.

By *immyinreadingMan
44 weeks ago

henley on thames

It hurts when a multiple tonnes vehicle hits you. Or nearly hits you. Cue shouting, etc(if we have a bell drivers might not hear us. Not forgetting they'd feign not to care anyway even if they did).

Car drivers have l, you could argue, far more protection if someone cuts a corner in front of them or does a 'punishment' pass.

I try to empathise with car drivers, and some cyclists are just as self centredly cuntish as some car drivers.

But cars kill and maim.

Cyclists being twats is an issue, but a bit of perspective (amd reference to stats) would show that motorists being twats is on balance a far,far, bigger problem.

Give em a week of commuting and having to yell at a driver on average at least twice on every journey due to being genuinely scared for their lives amd they'd soon change their tune when they appreciate the pervasive problems.

Also: all motorists must be made to cycle at least one route as part of their driving lessons. Always good to actually live the other point of view.

"

… another poster trying to paint a picture that pretends that cyclists and motorists are different groups of people.

Almost every cyclist I know is also a motorist

By *idanMan
44 weeks ago

borehamwood

Fine in theory, but.....What size would they be? What format? What font? Would they need to be lit at night? Where would they be registered? How would they be accessed and by who? How would they be updated? Would the rider or bike be registered. What penalties would be incurred for not displaying? How long would back record conversion take? How much would the whole scheme cost?

A sledgehammer to miss a nut!

By *hunderace...Man
44 weeks ago

Dudley

Speaking as someone who's had his car damaged by pedestrians and other cars, but never by a bike..."

Pedestrians don't run at 30+mph in groups on the road but I get your point.

As a biker I appreciate everyone has the right to pursue their own chosen happiness but if they expect me to take there presence seriously then its time to fully embrace the rules the rest of us abide by.

A push biker once tried to squeeze at speed between me and the curb, I was in a stationary line of traffic but last in the queue at a red light. His collision sent him sprawling and broke my mirror, no witnesses but he claimed he was the stationary one and I hit him. The gathering crowd instantly saw me as the guilty one as he was obviously more vulnerable, my look and choice of words were enough but nevertheless he still rode off leaving me with the damage... no identification=no responsibility.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
44 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Speaking as someone who's had his car damaged by pedestrians and other cars, but never by a bike...

As a biker I appreciate everyone has the right to pursue their own chosen happiness but if they expect me to take there presence seriously then its time to fully embrace the rules the rest of us abide by.

A push biker once tried to squeeze at speed between me and the curb, I was in a stationary line of traffic but last in the queue at a red light. His collision sent him sprawling and broke my mirror, no witnesses but he claimed he was the stationary one and I hit him. The gathering crowd instantly saw me as the guilty one as he was obviously more vulnerable, my look and choice of words were enough but nevertheless he still rode off leaving me with the damage... no identification=no responsibility."

Did this bugger literally just ride off having damaged your car

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
44 weeks ago

Chelmsford

[Removed by poster at 25/11/23 20:27:57]

44 weeks ago

The only thing I require cyclist to do is....

Let other people know where the feck you are going!

Indicate with your arm/ hand if turning left or right please.

** and before anyone comments and gets on their high saddle

(see what i did there).., driver's not indicating equally boils my piss.

By *annessaTV/TS
44 weeks ago

Denham

I think its a good idea in so countries they work well and they are changed each year as proof of insurance only last month whilst stationary a cyclist took my wing mirror off as he crashed intro car, £220 To replace, who pays ? Scooters too if they ever become legal

By *ust RachelTV/TS
43 weeks ago

Horsham

They'll see it as an infringement on their liberty but I call it accountability. "

Best not look at a replacement cost of a cervelo carbon fibre bike frame, they are more expensive than most cars on the road.

By *icolerobbieCouple
43 weeks ago

walsall

The mr "

I see many more car drivers jumping red lights every day. I’ve had green on my side and they’re still going from theirs, so obviously on red. This is every set of lights, every day.

More needs to be done about these holier than thou car drivers who think that red lights don’t apply to them, even with their number plates, they behave above the law and accuse everyone else of being at fault.

By *xposedInTheMaleMan
43 weeks ago

Cap d'Agde

"I was in a stationary line of traffic but last in the queue at a red light. His collision sent him sprawling and broke my mirror, no witnesses but he claimed he was the stationary one and I hit him. The gathering crowd instantly saw me as the guilty one as he was obviously more vulnerable, my look and choice of words were enough but nevertheless he still rode off leaving me with the damage... no identification=no responsibility."

And how would him having a number plate or insurance have made any difference? The insurance companies would have just said fault was unclear, and you'd end up paying, or claiming off your own insurance.

I've had pretty much exactly this happen to me with another car driver. It's infuriating, but his number plate changed nothing.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
43 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Tom is all for registration and licence plates however like old classic cars, there should be some exemptions for road tax etc. Tom has an old 1930s Butcher Boy delivery bike complete with a basket on the front and unlike the little tike in the Hovis advert he is often seen on the roads of Essex overtaking these lycra types on sports machines.

By *ervent_fervourMan
43 weeks ago

Halifax

But cars kill and maim.

… another poster trying to paint a picture that pretends that cyclists and motorists are different groups of people.

Almost every cyclist I know is also a motorist "

Useful post. Thanks for engaging.

By *ervent_fervourMan
43 weeks ago

Halifax

A push biker once tried to squeeze at speed between me and the curb, I was in a stationary line of traffic but last in the queue at a red light. His collision sent him sprawling and broke my mirror, no witnesses but he claimed he was the stationary one and I hit him. The gathering crowd instantly saw me as the guilty one as he was obviously more vulnerable, my look and choice of words were enough but nevertheless he still rode off leaving me with the damage... no identification=no responsibility."

Thats crap. For both. But the Highway Code does say motorists are supposed to leave room on their inside for cyclists.

By *ervent_fervourMan
43 weeks ago

Halifax

The mr

I see many more car drivers jumping red lights every day. I’ve had green on my side and they’re still going from theirs, so obviously on red. This is every set of lights, every day.

More needs to be done about these holier than thou car drivers who think that red lights don’t apply to them, even with their number plates, they behave above the law and accuse everyone else of being at fault."

Yep. But cyclists do the same(and I'm a cyclist!). The highest proportion seem to be delivery riders.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
43 weeks ago

Horsham

"I was in a stationary line of traffic but last in the queue at a red light. His collision sent him sprawling and broke my mirror, no witnesses but he claimed he was the stationary one and I hit him. The gathering crowd instantly saw me as the guilty one as he was obviously more vulnerable, my look and choice of words were enough but nevertheless he still rode off leaving me with the damage... no identification=no responsibility.

And how would him having a number plate or insurance have made any difference? The insurance companies would have just said fault was unclear, and you'd end up paying, or claiming off your own insurance.

I've had pretty much exactly this happen to me with another car driver. It's infuriating, but his number plate changed nothing."

My number plate on my R6 is covered in dirt, you can't see anything. It is perfect for speeding, jumping those lights, countless other things. It helps having the gift of the gab, to get away with somethings as well.

By *hunderace...Man
43 weeks ago

Dudley

A push biker once tried to squeeze at speed between me and the curb, I was in a stationary line of traffic but last in the queue at a red light. His collision sent him sprawling and broke my mirror, no witnesses but he claimed he was the stationary one and I hit him. The gathering crowd instantly saw me as the guilty one as he was obviously more vulnerable, my look and choice of words were enough but nevertheless he still rode off leaving me with the damage... no identification=no responsibility.

Did this bugger literally just ride off having damaged your car "

He did Tom, suddenly he was cured of all his injuries once I pointed out the fact that my dash cam would prove my innocence.

By *hunderace...Man
43 weeks ago

Dudley

Thats crap. For both. But the Highway Code does say motorists are supposed to leave room on their inside for cyclists."

That's all well and good buddy but these were roadwork traffic lights on quite a narrow road.

Having ridden motorbikes for 37yrs I'm acutely aware of their vulnerability, most drivers don't even see me so probably best to keep your highway code quotations for those who need them.

43 weeks ago

They can't even make it an enforceable law that cyclists wear basic safety equipment like helmets, even though they would save countless lives. If a certain percentage of cyclists don't care about their own safety then they certainly won't care about the safety of others, numberplates or not.

You only have to look at how many car drivers still drive like absolute divs, regardless of the fact that they are easily identifiable by their numberplates to see that this won't do a thing.

I can't see anyone wasting time and resources setting up a international database of cycle owners and bicycle registrations (and it would have to be international, else the whole thing falls apart as soon as tourists arrive on holiday)

By *alandNitaCouple
43 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"They can't even make it an enforceable law that cyclists wear basic safety equipment like helmets, even though they would save countless lives. If a certain percentage of cyclists don't care about their own safety then they certainly won't care about the safety of others, numberplates or not.

You only have to look at how many car drivers still drive like absolute divs, regardless of the fact that they are easily identifiable by their numberplates to see that this won't do a thing.

I can't see anyone wasting time and resources setting up a international database of cycle owners and bicycle registrations (and it would have to be international, else the whole thing falls apart as soon as tourists arrive on holiday) "

I am a cyclist, and ALWAYS wear a helmet, but helmets are NOT the silver bullet of cycling safety that people seem to think. Studies have shown that only around 10% of cycle fatalities would have been prevented by wearing a helmet.

It has also been shown that drivers give less space to cyclists wearing a helmet than those who don't, presumably because they a perceived to be "less vulnerable".

There is also a feeling that the whole "wear helmets & Hi Vis to prevent being killed by a car" argument is kind of "victim shaming"... a bit like "ladies shouldn't dress provocatively and walk home on their own".

Cal

By *ellhungvweMan
43 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"

There is also a feeling that the whole "wear helmets & Hi Vis to prevent being killed by a car" argument is kind of "victim shaming"... a bit like "ladies shouldn't dress provocatively and walk home on their own".

Cal"

I don’t care whether someone wears a cycling helmet but for the love of god _please_ wear clothing that makes you visible on a bike.

Whether it is “victim shaming” or not is irrelevant - if you are wearing black or dark clothing on a country road at dusk in bad weather you are virtually invisible. The same applies if you are cycling in high contrast ie very bright sunshine in between groups of trees that cover the road in dark shadows.

It might not be explicit law but The Highway Code clearly suggests cyclists wear high visibility clothing and failure to wear it will count against a cyclist in the event of an accident.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
43 weeks ago

Horsham

"They can't even make it an enforceable law that cyclists wear basic safety equipment like helmets, even though they would save countless lives. If a certain percentage of cyclists don't care about their own safety then they certainly won't care about the safety of others, numberplates or not. "

The trouble not all helmets give you decent protection, the ones that comply with the Snell B standards are usually out of the price range of most cyclists.

I suppose you could say, something is better than nothing though.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

43 weeks ago

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 27/11/23 08:28:38]

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

43 weeks ago

East Sussex

"

Cal"

Really! Good lord! Wear helmets and hi vis for protection and greater visibility would be my way of looking at it. If cyclists really want to avoid taking basic precautions to avoid accidents because they feel it's victim shaming I'm at a loss. I don't think there's any comparison to telling women not to dress a certain way .

Of course I think motorists play their part too

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

43 weeks ago

East Sussex

I also think that mobility scooters should be registered and have an identifiable plate if they're being used on the road.

By *xposedInTheMaleMan
43 weeks ago

Cap d'Agde

"Whether it is “victim shaming” or not is irrelevant"

With respect, that's what people who victim shame always say.

It's a bit like "I'm not a racist, but..."

By *ellhungvweMan
43 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"Whether it is “victim shaming” or not is irrelevant

With respect, that's what people who victim shame always say.

It's a bit like "I'm not a racist, but...""

Seriously?

You are actually suggesting that a call to wear visible clothing makes me racist? That’s beyond pathetic.

By *xposedInTheMaleMan
43 weeks ago

Cap d'Agde

"You are actually suggesting that a call to wear visible clothing makes me racist? That’s beyond pathetic. "

You're confused. I said no such thing.

43 weeks ago

And how will it be enforced, same as dangerous dogs?

By *andyfloss2000Woman
43 weeks ago

ashford

"They can't even make it an enforceable law that cyclists wear basic safety equipment like helmets, even though they would save countless lives. If a certain percentage of cyclists don't care about their own safety then they certainly won't care about the safety of others, numberplates or not.

I can't see anyone wasting time and resources setting up a international database of cycle owners and bicycle registrations (and it would have to be international, else the whole thing falls apart as soon as tourists arrive on holiday)

I am a cyclist, and ALWAYS wear a helmet, but helmets are NOT the silver bullet of cycling safety that people seem to think. Studies have shown that only around 10% of cycle fatalities would have been prevented by wearing a helmet.

It has also been shown that drivers give less space to cyclists wearing a helmet than those who don't, presumably because they a perceived to be "less vulnerable".

Cal"

Exactly 100% agreed! X

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

43 weeks ago

East Sussex

Cal

Exactly 100% agreed! X"

Do you wear a helmet and high vis ?

Would me advising my passenger to wear their seat belt to help avoid injury in case of an accident or them telling me to put my headlights on to make my car more visible be a type of victim shaming?

43 weeks ago

" There is also a feeling that the whole "wear helmets & Hi Vis to prevent being killed by a car" argument is kind of "victim shaming"... a bit like "ladies shouldn't dress provocatively and walk home on their own".

Cal"

Obviously in an ideal world people would be able to wear (or not wear) whatever they wanted with no repercussions but the fact is we don't live in an ideal world, and we know from experience that horrible things can and do happen so it is incredibly naive to not take the basic precautions and responsibility for your own safety, whether that is not wearing a helmet on a bicycle, or walking home alone late at night.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
43 weeks ago

ashford

Cal

Exactly 100% agreed! X

Would me advising my passenger to wear their seat belt to help avoid injury in case of an accident or them telling me to put my headlights on to make my car more visible be a type of victim shaming? "

Wear neither no! Have got to 66 without either (cycling my whole adult life being a non driver without an accident) mainly due to my anticipation of what the muppet drivers are going to do! A helmet would do nothing imo! Hi vis yes maybe! But my lights have been enough! And I cycled to work at 3 30 in morning to work last 3 years or so! Admitted not that many vehicles about that time in morning! X

By *alandNitaCouple
43 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

[Removed by poster at 27/11/23 12:33:27]

By *andyfloss2000Woman
43 weeks ago

ashford

Cal

Exactly 100% agreed! X

Would me advising my passenger to wear their seat belt to help avoid injury in case of an accident or them telling me to put my headlights on to make my car more visible be a type of victim shaming?

Wear neither no! Have got to 66 without either (cycling my whole adult life being a non driver without an accident) mainly due to my anticipation of what the muppet drivers are going to do! A helmet would do nothing imo! Hi vis yes maybe! But my lights have been enough! And I cycled to work at 3 30 in morning to work last 3 years or so! Admitted not that many vehicles about that time in morning! X"

And not exactly victim blaming as such but yes blame lies with the person who knocked them of obvs! Should b driving with due care and anticipation of other road users! Obvs if I'm cycling along in the dark without my lights on then yes it would b on me! X

By *aughty but nice...Man
43 weeks ago

Staffs

Good idea a friend of mine suffered severe spinal injury from a hit and run cyclist

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

43 weeks ago

East Sussex

"

And not exactly victim blaming as such but yes blame lies with the person who knocked them of obvs! Should b driving with due care and anticipation of other road users! Obvs if I'm cycling along in the dark without my lights on then yes it would b on me! X"

I can't agree that it's obviously the fault of the person who knocked them off. Circumstances vary. Every road user, should take due care and attention and any safety precautions possible.

By *ulfilthmentMan
43 weeks ago

Just around the corner

"

And not exactly victim blaming as such but yes blame lies with the person who knocked them of obvs! Should b driving with due care and anticipation of other road users! Obvs if I'm cycling along in the dark without my lights on then yes it would b on me! X

I can't agree that it's obviously the fault of the person who knocked them off. Circumstances vary. Every road user, should take due care and attention and any safety precautions possible. "

Exactly as enshrined in the Highway Code.

We’re all responsible for our own safety on the highway, as well as having a responsibility to beware of others. If everyone tried to follow this all the time rather than looking for excuses to ignore or disregard road users they don’t like then the world would be a better and safer place.

By *illan-KillashMan
43 weeks ago

London/Sussex/Surrey/Berks/Hants

"The Chief of Police for London is waging war and suggesting that cyclists must have number plates on their backs to hold them to account. What's going on here guys? It's all over the news

Maybe he should start and get his own house in order first before deflecting his short comings in normal people cycling to work or working as food delivery.

There is an element of youngsters on bikes in London who wheelie everywhere, swerving in and out of traffic on one wheel and causing all sorts of mayhem.

Their YouTube videos make for amusing watching, until someone gets seriously hurt.

"

Food delivery riders where I live are a bloody menace.

If anyone thinks some cycllists aren't a problem needs to try and cross a road in London. Their disregard for pedestrians, the highway code and their own safety is staggering.

By *ulfilthmentMan
43 weeks ago

Just around the corner

If anyone thinks some cycllists aren't a problem needs to try and cross a road in London. Their disregard for pedestrians, the highway code and their own safety is staggering."

This is the problem. There are just as many motorists who behave the same way, and who have a far greater potential to harm other road users in all groups. Everyone would be better served if more of the absolute cretins we see behind the wheel were either retrained or banned. I say that as a fair weather cyclist who spends most of their time driving a car or van.

By *illan-KillashMan
43 weeks ago

London/Sussex/Surrey/Berks/Hants

If anyone thinks some cycllists aren't a problem needs to try and cross a road in London. Their disregard for pedestrians, the highway code and their own safety is staggering.

This is the problem. There are just as many motorists who behave the same way, and who have a far greater potential to harm other road users in all groups. Everyone would be better served if more of the absolute cretins we see behind the wheel were either retrained or banned. I say that as a fair weather cyclist who spends most of their time driving a car or van."

Agreed. I drive a lot, and the fuckwits who change lanes/direction with a yards notice, who think amber means speed up and have no concept of safe breaking distance is astounding.

I've done a lot over the years to maintain my driving standards. How many drivers haven't picked up a Highway Code since they passed their test?

By *xposedInTheMaleMan
43 weeks ago

Cap d'Agde

I think one thing we can all agree on is that there's a fair few complete idiots in every category of road users. And that we shouldn't punish the majority to get at the minority (who probably won't be affected in any case).

Anyway, if you're interested in Surrey Police's take on the high viz for cyclists debate, head over to Twitter and look at their update SurreyRoadCops/status/1276451659913342976

By *immyinreadingMan
43 weeks ago

henley on thames

The mr

More needs to be done about these holier than thou car drivers who think that red lights don’t apply to them, even with their number plates, they behave above the law and accuse everyone else of being at fault."

Cyclists are far worse at breaking lights, and I don’t see many motorists driving on footpaths.

Also, many traffic lights have cameras … fine and 3 points … or no penalty whatsoever if you are on a bike

By *r_PinkMan
43 weeks ago

london stratford

J'accuse

By *alandNitaCouple
43 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

Cal

Exactly 100% agreed! X

"

I personally always wear a helmet, and wear proper cycling gear which generally has some reflectives. In reality the problem has never been about not being seen, the people who are passing inches away are choosing to not give me space.

The argument about seatbelts and headlights is really a none argument though... in most cases people wear seatbelt "because they have to" not because they reduced road related deaths by 50%, and you put your lights on to see where you're going... nobody is telling you to paint your car in Flourescent yellow every winter to make it more visible to other users, or asking you to wear a lightweight helmet in case you bang your head in your car.

The big difference between safety for car accidents (and motorbikes) is the amount of involved. Even at 30 mph a typical car weighing 1500kg has 135000j of energy vs a bike and rider weighing 100kg which has around 9000j of energy. That's 15 times more energy to deal with in a accident.

Cal

By *alandNitaCouple
43 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

The mr

More needs to be done about these holier than thou car drivers who think that red lights don’t apply to them, even with their number plates, they behave above the law and accuse everyone else of being at fault.

Cyclists are far worse at breaking lights, and I don’t see many motorists driving on footpaths.

"

This is just not true, if you stand and watch almost any traffic lights without cameras for half an hour, you will see literally dozens of drivers risk going through after the lights have changed... and the only reason they don't drive on the footpaths is because they can't get far without hitting a lamp-post. Many drivers are happy to mount the path to pass a vehicle waiting to turn right by mounting the kerb.

Cal

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

43 weeks ago

East Sussex

Cal

Exactly 100% agreed! X

I personally always wear a helmet, and wear proper cycling gear which generally has some reflectives. In reality the problem has never been about not being seen, the people who are passing inches away are choosing to not give me space.

The argument about seatbelts and headlights is really a none argument though... in most cases people wear seatbelt "because they have to" not because they reduced road related deaths by 50%, and you put your lights on to see where you're going... nobody is telling you to paint your car in Flourescent yellow every winter to make it more visible to other users, or asking you to wear a lightweight helmet in case you bang your head in your car.

The big difference between safety for car accidents (and motorbikes) is the amount of involved. Even at 30 mph a typical car weighing 1500kg has 135000j of energy vs a bike and rider weighing 100kg which has around 9000j of energy. That's 15 times more energy to deal with in a accident.

Cal"

As the sister of someone who was terribly injured in a motorcycle accident and suffered life long disabilities and having a motorcyclist son and and son in law I'm hyper aware of motorcyclists and cyclists. All I ask is that they give me a fighting chance to see them in poor visibility so that I'm able to pass safely. If that's victim shaming in the cyclists opinion then I hold my hands up.

By *icolerobbieCouple
43 weeks ago

walsall

The mr

This is just not true, if you stand and watch almost any traffic lights without cameras for half an hour, you will see literally dozens of drivers risk going through after the lights have changed... and the only reason they don't drive on the footpaths is because they can't get far without hitting a lamp-post. Many drivers are happy to mount the path to pass a vehicle waiting to turn right by mounting the kerb.

Cal"

Absolutely this. Red means go to most car drivers these days it would seem.

And they’re getting away with it, even with their number plates!

By *ust RachelTV/TS
43 weeks ago

Horsham

"I think one thing we can all agree on is that there's a fair few complete idiots in every category of road users. And that we shouldn't punish the majority to get at the minority (who probably won't be affected in any case).

Anyway, if you're interested in Surrey Police's take on the high viz for cyclists debate, head over to Twitter and look at their update SurreyRoadCops/status/1276451659913342976"

I had a mate who got rear ended on his police motorbike, he was wearing his hi vis coat at the time of the accident. The dumb van driver said that he didn't see the policeman in front of him.

Hi vis clothing is supposed to help you stand out, that only works if the driver is actually looking for cyclists.

By *alandNitaCouple
43 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"I think one thing we can all agree on is that there's a fair few complete idiots in every category of road users. And that we shouldn't punish the majority to get at the minority (who probably won't be affected in any case).

Anyway, if you're interested in Surrey Police's take on the high viz for cyclists debate, head over to Twitter and look at their update SurreyRoadCops/status/1276451659913342976

---

I had a mate who got rear ended on his police motorbike, he was wearing his hi vis coat at the time of the accident. The dumb van driver said that he didn't see the policeman in front of him.

Hi vis clothing is supposed to help you stand out, that only works if the driver is actually looking for cyclists."

This is completely true. It is totally bonkers how many people don't even think to look for bikes on the "Cycle Lane" before they pull out or turn at a junction...

Cal

By *ervent_fervourMan
42 weeks ago

Halifax

Thats crap. For both. But the Highway Code does say motorists are supposed to leave room on their inside for cyclists.

That's all well and good buddy but these were roadwork traffic lights on quite a narrow road.

Having ridden motorbikes for 37yrs I'm acutely aware of their vulnerability, most drivers don't even see me so probably best to keep your highway code quotations for those who need them. "

Like cyclists who get knocked off and killed by mega tonne vehicles because drivers are too lazy/ignorant to look in their mirrors?

Yeah. Highway code. Load of bollocks innit guv.

42 weeks ago

I'm just here to masterbate over tiny naked profile pictures since there's 121 replies so I don't need to switch up for variety.

Keep replying to this amazing thread. I need more inspiration.

42 weeks ago

So should pedestrians have insurance and a number plate if they intend on crossing a road?

Dogs and cats in public too? They can cause damage. Skateboards? Roller blades? Trainers?

We need more freedom not more rules.

People en mass are dick heads and no amount of new rules will change that. It’s just human behaviour.

By *odgers and PartingCouple
42 weeks ago

edinburgh

I think it’s a good idea but difficult to implement. Go to EU cities and stand on scooters all have them, so it is achievable.

Half the trouble with the cycling stuff is the fact that vehicle owners are the ones being hit to pay for the infrastructure they use - and that massively inconveniences those other road users (narrowing of roads, bollards, roads closed, LEZ charges- these are nothing but a stealth tax on my view, absolutely nothing to do with climate change or air purity). Also another great ‘them Vs Us’ that governments and media like to use to divide and rule a population. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very pro cycling but I feel a lot of it is gesture politics. R

By *immyinreadingMan
42 weeks ago

henley on thames

"So should pedestrians have insurance and a number plate if they intend on crossing a road?

Dogs and cats in public too? They can cause damage. Skateboards? Roller blades? Trainers?

We need more freedom not more rules.

People en mass are dick heads and no amount of new rules will change that. It’s just human behaviour.

"

I wouldn’t classify a pedestrian crossing the road as a road user. Not sure what your point is regarding cats and dogs either. Cyclists should be identifiable and have insurance though. And I say that as an occasional cyclist myself

By *immyinreadingMan
42 weeks ago

henley on thames

"I'm just here to masterbate over tiny naked profile pictures since there's 121 replies so I don't need to switch up for variety.

Keep replying to this amazing thread. I need more inspiration."

At least spell it correctly …

By *andyfloss2000Woman
42 weeks ago

ashford

Hi vis clothing is supposed to help you stand out, that only works if the driver is actually looking for cyclists."

I could have a lighthouse on my head on my bycicle and still get cut up by motorists! X

Post new Message to Thread