Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Elections - Eastleigh

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I think I read somewhere that it was 800 days to the next general election this week (798 now, I think). We've got Eastleigh now.

Which way will it go and will it give us any guide to what could happen in 798 days?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

Am I the only sad bugger watching for this result?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Am I the only sad bugger watching for this result?"

No I am very interested in the outcome...

UKIP are playing the immigration card big time with the electorate in Eastleigh

over a year ago

Seems like the LibDems have won it with UKIP in second.

over a year ago

"Am I the only sad bugger watching for this result?

No I am very interested in the outcome...

UKIP are playing the immigration card big time with the electorate in Eastleigh"

Jon Pinaar just said that people have also used their UKIP vote as their "none of the above" statement.

By *odelmasterMan
over a year ago

Rugby

Just over two years cant come quick enough....not sure any established party can really effect any positive change anymore...and would hate to see any fringe group grow from the failings of the main three...

Whats his face from Sheffield should be ashamed of his bedfriends as it were...

over a year ago

" "

Does that mean you are with me or embarrassed for me?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Win or lose, Clegg's days are numbered.

over a year ago

"Just over two years cant come quick enough....not sure any established party can really effect any positive change anymore...and would hate to see any fringe group grow from the failings of the main three...

Whats his face from Sheffield should be ashamed of his bedfriends as it were..."

They are just starting the overtures of their break-up and divorce. Divorce they must by the time the next general election is called. The decree absolute will come through on election day.

over a year ago

"

Does that mean you are with me or embarrassed for me?"

Embarrassed I was going to comment earlier but couldn't come up with anything that made any sense.

over a year ago

"

Does that mean you are with me or embarrassed for me?

Embarrassed I was going to comment earlier but couldn't come up with anything that made any sense."

That generally doesn't stop people posting.

over a year ago

Grant Shapps always makes me cross. I'm not sure I can keep watching the This Week coverage.

Although Chuka Umunna might keep it watchable.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Grant Shapps always makes me cross. I'm not sure I can keep watching the This Week coverage.

Although Chuka Umunna might keep it watchable."

Young Chuka....future party leader

over a year ago

"Grant Shapps always makes me cross. I'm not sure I can keep watching the This Week coverage.

Young Chuka....future party leader"

I hope so.

52% turn out in Eastleigh.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Young Chuka....future party leader"

He may well turn out to be the UK's Obama.

over a year ago

I went to brush my teeth and Chuka has gone. What happened, was Shapps mean to him?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I went to brush my teeth and Chuka has gone. What happened, was Shapps mean to him?"

Techy issues. Back soon.

over a year ago

"I went to brush my teeth and Chuka has gone. What happened, was Shapps mean to him?

Techy issues. Back soon."

Thanks.

over a year ago

"I went to brush my teeth and Chuka has gone. What happened, was Shapps mean to him?"

Chuka What?

over a year ago

"I went to brush my teeth and Chuka has gone. What happened, was Shapps mean to him?

Chuka What? "

He's back, very sensible young man, and yet Andrew is asking Shapps a question.

over a year ago

Brave admitting that Labour had essentially ignored Eastleigh until this by election.

over a year ago

And a good question to UKIP asking why they have made such play of immigration in an area with 92% white population.

By *aaLaaWoman
over a year ago

Pontesbury

I'm watching it too - But was too distracted by Chukka to read the forum posts at the same time

over a year ago

Only 52.8% turn out... if people dont vote then they cant complain about who gets elected and what they do. Simple, use your vote !

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

UKIP would have won if it wasn't for the postal votes that were cast more than a week ago.

Ukip probably got most votes cast today but they were overrun by the Lib Dem postal votes.

over a year ago

UKIP in second, Conservative third and Labour fourth...

over a year ago

"Only 52.8% turn out... if people dont vote then they cant complain about who gets elected and what they do. Simple, use your vote !"

Haven't you noticed the lowest turn-outs seem to lead to the more complainers?

over a year ago

"UKIP would have won if it wasn't for the postal votes that were cast more than a week ago.

Ukip probably got most votes cast today but they were overrun by the Lib Dem postal votes."

That may well be true on figures so close.

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

20 per cent swing from Lib Dems to UKIP

over a year ago

"20 per cent swing from Lib Dems to UKIP"

Even as a protest vote that's some swing! The Tories were down some 14% on 2010's results and Labour were batted out of the park completely. The people of Eastleigh are staunch LibDems these days and would vote for anything dressed in yellow but the Tory vote was split by UKIP (not the other way round as that prize dick Farage is implying).

Interestingly, the coalition partners were down 27% together but still polled 57% of the vote.

over a year ago

"20 per cent swing from Lib Dems to UKIP

Even as a protest vote that's some swing! The Tories were down some 14% on 2010's results and Labour were batted out of the park completely. The people of Eastleigh are staunch LibDems these days and would vote for anything dressed in yellow but the Tory vote was split by UKIP (not the other way round as that prize dick Farage is implying).

Interestingly, the coalition partners were down 27% together but still polled 57% of the vote. "

Yes, for an unpopular government that 57% is the one I would want to look at and see where the message has been working for them and what went so wrong for Labour.

over a year ago

Young Chuka....future party leader

He may well turn out to be the UK's Obama."

Labour should head that way.. and soon.

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

"Only 52.8% turn out... if people dont vote then they cant complain about who gets elected and what they do. Simple, use your vote !"

There should be an option for 'none of the above' and I think the turn out would be higher.

over a year ago

"Yes, for an unpopular government that 57% is the one I would want to look at and see where the message has been working for them and what went so wrong for Labour."

As an 84% Condem supporting area, and 100% LibDem council, not much point in Labour putting a good candidate up there really. Hopefully the UKIP vote is only a protest and they won't really get any MP's in a real election. Farage is OK on tv comedy shows, but that is his limit.

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

"And a good question to UKIP asking why they have made such play of immigration in an area with 92% white population."

Just because the population is white doesn't mean that immigration isn't an issue. Most immigrants to UK nowadays are white European from Poland, Rumania, Hungry etc.

Having said that, Immigration is one of UKIP's big things, and while the press embrace some of what they say, if the same messages were put out by the BNP etc., there'd be uproar.

over a year ago

Everytime I hear the Conservatives say that it is unheard of for the current party in government to win a by election mid term they appear to forget that the LibDems are also the party of government.

The Ashcroft report on this will be interesting to read.

over a year ago

" they appear to forget that the LibDems are also the party of government."

I wonder how many times that phrase has been used since the last election

over a year ago

"Yes, for an unpopular government that 57% is the one I would want to look at and see where the message has been working for them and what went so wrong for Labour.

As an 84% Condem supporting area, and 100% LibDem council, not much point in Labour putting a good candidate up there really. Hopefully the UKIP vote is only a protest and they won't really get any MP's in a real election. Farage is OK on tv comedy shows, but that is his limit."

He is an obnoxious individual who treats anyone with contempt who don't support his views. He was downright nasty to a female UKIP MEP who recently defected to the Tories claiming that the Conservatives 'deserved her'. IF he'd had real power he would have installed such people as government ministers. Is he saying that we deserve whoever he wants to inflict upon us?

over a year ago

" they appear to forget that the LibDems are also the party of government.

I wonder how many times that phrase has been used since the last election "

It'll be used a lot more before the next one.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Yes, for an unpopular government that 57% is the one I would want to look at and see where the message has been working for them and what went so wrong for Labour.

As an 84% Condem supporting area, and 100% LibDem council, not much point in Labour putting a good candidate up there really. Hopefully the UKIP vote is only a protest and they won't really get any MP's in a real election. Farage is OK on tv comedy shows, but that is his limit.

He is an obnoxious individual who treats anyone with contempt who don't support his views. He was downright nasty to a female UKIP MEP who recently defected to the Tories claiming that the Conservatives 'deserved her'. IF he'd had real power he would have installed such people as government ministers. Is he saying that we deserve whoever he wants to inflict upon us?"

So long as Farage keeps taking votes off the Tories, he can do no wrong in my book

over a year ago

He is an obnoxious individual who treats anyone with contempt who don't support his views. He was downright nasty to a female UKIP MEP who recently defected to the Tories claiming that the Conservatives 'deserved her'. IF he'd had real power he would have installed such people as government ministers. Is he saying that we deserve whoever he wants to inflict upon us?

So long as Farage keeps taking votes off the Tories, he can do no wrong in my book "

It doesn't really make a lot of difference in Scotland though, where you can pin a red rosette on a donkey and get it elected.

over a year ago

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Yes historically 'mid term' elections tend to give the incumbants a bloody nose but the tories do have a problem with UKIP..

some of their core vote will desert them over Camerons stance on gay marriage and Europe is that ever present festering sore for them..

would still think there may be another hung parliament in 2015..

over a year ago

"Yes historically 'mid term' elections tend to give the incumbants a bloody nose but the tories do have a problem with UKIP..

some of their core vote will desert them over Camerons stance on gay marriage and Europe is that ever present festering sore for them..

would still think there may be another hung parliament in 2015.."

Almost certainly, unless Labour sort a proper leader sharpish.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" .............

So long as Farage keeps taking votes off the Tories, he can do no wrong in my book

It doesn't really make a lot of difference in Scotland though, where you can pin a red rosette on a donkey and get it elected."

And the donkey would still be a better MP than David Mundell.

Post new Message to Thread