Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cancellig a trip- no refund

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Well I wonder where I stand here. Last year, I paid in full for a trip to a European city for my husbands birthday. The trip was a special promotion and payment made on a credit card in full to the hotel direct. I have not arranged insurance.

Now I have separated from my husband and I have given the hotel 3 months notice but they say as it was a special promotion its not possible to cancel without a penalty. I have since sent another email asking what the penalty would be but they havent replied back.

I stand to lose over £500 if I cant find anyone to go with and its not looking likely.

Any ideas on how I can claim the money back or some of it back?

Thanks

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Contact your credit card company - they should sort it for you.

over a year ago

Cue inbox overload from offers of accompaniment

over a year ago

I wasnt really going to go with a stranger now .. but I might get desperate!!

x

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

ask your bank to do a charge back onto your card

over a year ago

Which city before I commit to asking if I can come. wouldn't wanna go to some tinpot city lol

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

You would need to check the terms and conditions of the offer you booked and also see if they can prove they mentioned these at the time if booking. If they didn't then you might be able to claim your money back.

I'm not sure if credit card companies can override terms and conditions but it's worth a shot.

over a year ago

"ask your bank to do a charge back onto your card "

Can they do that?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/02/13 16:40:02]

over a year ago

If they ain't gonna give you anything back, surprise a friend with a paid trip away.

over a year ago

The wording was : A non refundable payment is required. Bookings for this room cannot be changed or cancelled.

over a year ago

"If they ain't gonna give you anything back, surprise a friend with a paid trip away. "

But I dont have anyone who can go on the dates I have. They cant get leave or dont have any money.

over a year ago

"ask your bank to do a charge back onto your card

Can they do that?"

Well as I understand it - strictly you haven't paid for the trip - the credit card company did.

Therefore if you contact them they should contact the company you paid to deal with it and they're more likely to get a result than you on your own.

over a year ago

Nothing else for it then.

Hi I'm Paul. Now we know each other. I like European travel.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

Can they do that?"

as long as the amount is over £100 yes, think they might charge your about 25 pound to do it though but I would give them a call

By *coobyroo218Couple
over a year ago

Guernsey

"The wording was : A non refundable payment is required. Bookings for this room cannot be changed or cancelled.

"

That says it all, it is always like this when you are booking a special deal.

Same as booking a hotel room normally, you often get two prices, one that you can change the booking date or cancel and another cheaper price which you can do nothing about.

Why can't you just go on your own?? that way you do not loose out.

over a year ago

as it wasnt the holiday companies fault you and your other half split up,they are not at fault,nor are the credit card company,as neither them nor the holiday company have done anything to break the contract

yes some companies as an act of good faith,may reimburse your money or let you rearrange to another break,but as i say,they have upheld their end of the contract and so owe you nothing

over a year ago

"The wording was : A non refundable payment is required. Bookings for this room cannot be changed or cancelled.

That says it all, it is always like this when you are booking a special deal.

Same as booking a hotel room normally, you often get two prices, one that you can change the booking date or cancel and another cheaper price which you can do nothing about.

Why can't you just go on your own?? that way you do not loose out.

"

Well it was for my husband and me, and I have never travelled alone.. so wouldnt like it. Plus, it would be a little too emotional as its the week of his birthday too.

I will contact the credit card company as suggested though.

Thanks all

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Choose someone who looks fit, then you have 3 months to convert them from a stranger. Easy

over a year ago

"Choose someone who looks fit, then you have 3 months to convert them from a stranger. Easy "

Top suggestion

over a year ago

"Choose someone who looks fit, then you have 3 months to convert them from a stranger. Easy "

Thats a thought, although i go for personality first. I best get scanning the lovely guys on here then.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Choose someone who looks fit, then you have 3 months to convert them from a stranger. Easy

Thats a thought, although i go for personality first. I best get scanning the lovely guys on here then. "

Don't pick a whinger they will rant every day

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Can they do that?

as long as the amount is over £100 yes, think they might charge your about 25 pound to do it though but I would give them a call "

But isn't that only if payment was made in error or without consent etc. In this case the payment was made on a non transferable non refundable rate that the OP was aware if at the time of the booking.

Unfortunately unless you can sell the tickets you will have list the money.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"

Erm...what's the question again?!!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Go with your best friend, someone who understands you may be weepy or angry because of the date.

Or, try travelling on your own and really starting your new life. You may hate it but you may also find that you love it. Not having to compromise on what you do, eating what you want. Getting up when you want. It is something we should all do at least once in our lives.

over a year ago

I'd go on my own if no one else suitable was free.

Travelling alone is great fun. Especially for pulling

Post new Message to Thread