Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

road safety law around schools

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Does anyone know anything about safety requirements near schools? My sons school recently got rebuild and now the entrance is on the main road instead of the side road on the other side of the school. The school is lovely but my only issue is that the main gate is approx 6ft (if that) from the kerb and there are no railings at all. Just looking to find out if they are required by law?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

I think they have to. Also the ones around my area have lollipop (people)

over a year ago

They have a lollipop lady at top of the road but its so easy for kids to run straight out in the road

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Actually a quick google throws up a lot of hits, where parents petition schools to provide them. Maybe it's not law.

over a year ago

Hmmm maybe it should be! I have a bee in my bonnet now. Another parent asked the headteacher and he said one of the governors is a councillor and has been fobbed off. Might have to put some pressure on him to get it done

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Hmmm maybe it should be! I have a bee in my bonnet now. Another parent asked the headteacher and he said one of the governors is a councillor and has been fobbed off. Might have to put some pressure on him to get it done"
make s fuss and get your local rag involved go to your parish and local council meetings en mass and make a fuss also ask the developer they may pay for them to avoid bad/get good puplicity

By *allen MadonnaWoman
over a year ago

In my own little world

if the school changed the entrance, then suitable road lining, parking restrictions and railings will go through two departments of your local highways. One will be the road safety team, who will identify the risks and recommend the road calming/restrictions and physical barriers. Once this has been agreed, then a road traffic order will need to be developed, consultation (with public and district council parking department) and then implementation (some of which depends on the councils budget as to whether they can do all of the recommendtions). I hope this helps.

over a year ago

"if the school changed the entrance, then suitable road lining, parking restrictions and railings will go through two departments of your local highways. One will be the road safety team, who will identify the risks and recommend the road calming/restrictions and physical barriers. Once this has been agreed, then a road traffic order will need to be developed, consultation (with public and district council parking department) and then implementation (some of which depends on the councils budget as to whether they can do all of the recommendtions). I hope this helps."

Very helpful! Thanks very much xx

By *allen MadonnaWoman
over a year ago

In my own little world

it takes time to go through the system, so best to check with road safety first, and then who ever deals with road traffic orders. Can take months, I would think they should have it in place for September. in the mean time the school should put in crowd control steps to ease the situation. I don't know your council, but most have school travel co-ordinators who would have experience in this.

Good luck

By *obandruthCouple
over a year ago

wolverhampton

contact the highways department and get some one out to see what can be done to improve the highway to make it safer out side your school ,,,, make that call

Post new Message to Thread