Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

oxfam them adds on children in Africa.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

3 pounds a month with help a family ... if i give some money a month do you think it would get there ?? That's what worries me if money is taken for other things and not all going to help them. Do you ever give money to charities ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

not direct debit type ones no, i have a friend that does that, stands in shopping centres and knocks on peoples door to get them to sign up and i know how much he earns, all of which comes out of the money you give

By *eordiesCouple
over a year ago

newcastle

Quite often give various amounts to UK charities, but have not signed up for regular doonations to any.

OK, know this maybe contraversial, but why do we never see ads appealling to fund contraception in under-developed nations?

over a year ago

"not direct debit type ones no, i have a friend that does that, stands in shopping centres and knocks on peoples door to get them to sign up and i know how much he earns, all of which comes out of the money you give "
just i have some money from my dad i would like to set up some Charity and do it on a monthly thing. I see the Africa add my heart go out to them living like that .

over a year ago

I give monthly to a local children's hospice, water aid and the Brooke's horse and donkey charity

over a year ago

Our governmentcis making it law a certain percentage of our money goes

abroad in aid.

I feel sad for anyone ib real need but any money i give to charity is purely to help folk here if cameron decided to help folk here instead of making life deliberately hard i would consider

foreign charities

over a year ago

"not direct debit type ones no, i have a friend that does that, stands in shopping centres and knocks on peoples door to get them to sign up and i know how much he earns, all of which comes out of the money you give "
just i was thinking give 50 pounds a month help alot of them children in in Africa , Just if alot dont get to them i would hate it .

over a year ago

"not direct debit type ones no, i have a friend that does that, stands in shopping centres and knocks on peoples door to get them to sign up and i know how much he earns, all of which comes out of the money you give just i was thinking give 50 pounds a month help alot of them children in in Africa , Just if alot dont get to them i would hate it ."

thats the problem we have, not knowing how much of our money actually gets to where we want it to go

over a year ago

"not direct debit type ones no, i have a friend that does that, stands in shopping centres and knocks on peoples door to get them to sign up and i know how much he earns, all of which comes out of the money you give just i was thinking give 50 pounds a month help alot of them children in in Africa , Just if alot dont get to them i would hate it .

thats the problem we have, not knowing how much of our money actually gets to where we want it to go"

Thats what stops me doing it ... just them adds on tv .. so sad

over a year ago

Do not think it matters how much is given. I really don't think anything will change these appeals have been going since the 80s and probably longer I remember band aid nothing has changed its so sad for the children.

But even a little must help some what.

MrJD

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My friend worked in an orphanage in rumania not long after i had callum. I used to pack the clothes he had grown out of and send them. She told me to stop as all that ever got to the children where the clothes that nobody wanted. All the good stuff was taken by so called aid workers

over a year ago

According to the add on tv only 89p of every pound goes to the charity ??? Not that I believe it. There was a fly on wall documentary on tv a year or so ago. An undercover team investigating where our money was actually being spent. WWF coming out on top as only 30p of the pound went to the animals...

I only give to charities in the UK at the moment, too many are being over looked. As for the animal ones. Food and bedding I often drop in the collection drops in supermarkets.

As much as I would love to help all charities, I don't always believe what I see and hear on the tv. Obviously they are going to put sick and needy in the advert, how else are they going to pull at your heart strings ???!!

over a year ago

"My friend worked in an orphanage in rumania not long after i had callum. I used to pack the clothes he had grown out of and send them. She told me to stop as all that ever got to the children where the clothes that nobody wanted. All the good stuff was taken by so called aid workers"
Thats sad that others cream off the good stuff who dont really need it . Workers would have money ..

over a year ago

"According to the add on tv only 89p of every pound goes to the charity ??? Not that I believe it. There was a fly on wall documentary on tv a year or so ago. An undercover team investigating where our money was actually being spent. WWF coming out on top as only 30p of the pound went to the animals...

I only give to charities in the UK at the moment, too many are being over looked. As for the animal ones. Food and bedding I often drop in the collection drops in supermarkets.

As much as I would love to help all charities, I don't always believe what I see and hear on the tv. Obviously they are going to put sick and needy in the advert, how else are they going to pull at your heart strings ???!! "

well i already give to animal ones in uk and red wings horse one too . just i felt it was dads money he died end of oct and felt be nice to do this for him ..

over a year ago

It's massively complex about what difference your choice to donate (or not) could make.

Rather than taking a gut reaction to adverts, my advice would be to think about what kind of difference you would like to see - do you want to sponsor a childs education, support adults to set up a business, contribute to emergency supplies, towards hospitals.. etc. etc.

After you've decided on the difference you'd like to support, then find out about some charities that are doing that kind of work, and ask them for examples of how your money would help.

The biggest charities probably won't bother to give you much other than their promotional stuff. But there are lots of smaller ones that would really benefit from regular donations and they'd be happy to give you some details.

That's a little more effort, but you can then be confident that your donations are supporting a cause that you want to support as best as possible.

over a year ago

"It's massively complex about what difference your choice to donate (or not) could make.

Rather than taking a gut reaction to adverts, my advice would be to think about what kind of difference you would like to see - do you want to sponsor a childs education, support adults to set up a business, contribute to emergency supplies, towards hospitals.. etc. etc.

After you've decided on the difference you'd like to support, then find out about some charities that are doing that kind of work, and ask them for examples of how your money would help.

The biggest charities probably won't bother to give you much other than their promotional stuff. But there are lots of smaller ones that would really benefit from regular donations and they'd be happy to give you some details.

That's a little more effort, but you can then be confident that your donations are supporting a cause that you want to support as best as possible."

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

They have yo yell you what percentage of your donation goes on admin and fundraising. It's a legal requirement to do so.

over a year ago

"It's massively complex about what difference your choice to donate (or not) could make.

That's a little more effort, but you can then be confident that your donations are supporting a cause that you want to support as best as possible."

your right i would sponsor a child if i new it was all above bored.

over a year ago

Well in many countries £50 is more than enough to sponsor a child for school fees, uniforms, text books etc.

If you do a google search for 'sponsor a child's school fees' or similar and scroll past the first few results (which will likely be sponsored ads) you shouldn't have much problem finding some.

You want a UK based charity (so you can easily communicate with them), that's well established and replies to you within a couple of days. Take no notice of glossy leaflets, go with how you feel based on how they answer your questions.

I hope it goes well

PS. for the 'above board' thing - you can download charities accounts from the Charity Commission website unless they're a small charity. In either case you can ask them for their last set of accounts and Annual Report and then check to see how their money is used.

over a year ago

"Well in many countries £50 is more than enough to sponsor a child for school fees, uniforms, text books etc.

If you do a google search for 'sponsor a child's school fees' or similar and scroll past the first few results (which will likely be sponsored ads) you shouldn't have much problem finding some.

You want a UK based charity (so you can easily communicate with them), that's well established and replies to you within a couple of days. Take no notice of glossy leaflets, go with how you feel based on how they answer your questions.

I hope it goes well

PS. for the 'above board' thing - you can download charities accounts from the Charity Commission website unless they're a small charity. In either case you can ask them for their last set of accounts and Annual Report and then check to see how their money is used."

well i am doing all that and thankyou for your help. xxx my dad also would love this too .

over a year ago

someone mentioned things not changing, but the problem is the attitudes out there.

the beliefs these people have.. they see us as going to them and trying to do some weird magic on them etc..

it takes time..

over a year ago

"someone mentioned things not changing, but the problem is the attitudes out there.

the beliefs these people have.. they see us as going to them and trying to do some weird magic on them etc..

it takes time.. "

NGO's in the developing world cannot claim to have had any significant overall impact in the overall work done in the past 40 years or so.

Too many have tried to preach, convert, enforce our value systems and assumed 'we' know best. There is also a massive issue of dependence and self interest.

The only causes I would support are life saving, and those that help people to solve their own problems in their own ways - education, micro business etc. and it has to be on their own terms.

Anything with self interest - political, religious, will inevitably eventually fail - but that's where all the money is at.

over a year ago

I'd possibly be more inclined to donate to Oxfam if it was to fund birth control in these famine and drought ridden countries.

The first time I can recall hearing the world 'famine' was when I was in the junior school back in the Late 60's I remember all the hype about the starving kids in Africa and Oxfam wanting money.

40+ years down the road, we still here the same pleas for help and witness very little progress.

It isn't working ....

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I'd possibly be more inclined to donate to Oxfam if it was to fund birth control in these famine and drought ridden countries.

The first time I can recall hearing the world 'famine' was when I was in the junior school back in the Late 60's I remember all the hype about the starving kids in Africa and Oxfam wanting money.

40+ years down the road, we still here the same pleas for help and witness very little progress.

It isn't working ...."

arent these areas predominantly catholic and so providing birth control is agains their religion?

over a year ago

Contraception interests tend to be different when your children may not live to be beyond 5 years old.

There is no 'hype' about people starving. They die.

over a year ago

"I'd possibly be more inclined to donate to Oxfam if it was to fund birth control in these famine and drought ridden countries.

It isn't working ....

arent these areas predominantly catholic and so providing birth control is agains their religion?"

Most African countries are Islam and Christian

I have to be honest tho i agree with birth conrtol, surely its better to have 2 kids that both survive than have 8 in order to keep 2?

over a year ago

I've no idea what their religion is to be honest but if it comes down to having kids and allowing them to starve or succumb to a horrible death because of illness, disease or whatever ... I think maybe they should have a closer look at their religious beliefs, if indeed it is that which is preventing them from using birth control

Alternatively of course, we could all butt out of what isn't our problem and concentrate on putting our own people right.

I'm sure I'll get tied up and flogged for that statement, but that's, rightly or wrongly, how I see it.

over a year ago

To be honest i sometimes wonder who would help us?

We are so hung up on helping others and having to be seen to do so and no daring admit we dont really care

If for some odd reason we had a freak weather disaster that made 90% of this country homeless, how many countries do you think would help us?

over a year ago

I'd say to take away the right of somebody to have a child on the basis of where they live has more than a few issues.

For a start you could argue a need for that same policy in many areas in this country. Wouldn't make it right.

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

Makes me chuckle when we get the plastic bags through our door for us to fill with our clothes "to help the starving people in Africa" .... Well, if my clothes fit them, they're not fooking starving

over a year ago

"To be honest i sometimes wonder who would help us?

We are so hung up on helping others and having to be seen to do so and no daring admit we dont really care

If for some odd reason we had a freak weather disaster that made 90% of this country homeless, how many countries do you think would help us?"

India, Africa - they'd all be queuing to help .....

over a year ago

"I'd say to take away the right of somebody to have a child on the basis of where they live has more than a few issues.

For a start you could argue a need for that same policy in many areas in this country. Wouldn't make it right."

offering someone birth control isnt taking away their rights, i take birth control i still have rights, noone said force feed them the pill, just offer it as an option, im sure there would be many women over there that would sooner take it and not watch their kids die if i was an option for them

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

"3 pounds a month with help a family ... if i give some money a month do you think it would get there ?? That's what worries me if money is taken for other things and not all going to help them. Do you ever give money to charities ? "
it doesn't get there the fatcats get most of it. I want to sponser a child you get letters and progress reports.

over a year ago

It isn't working ...."

Totaly agree.

over a year ago

Just thinking outside the box here, but, if you have a substantial amount given to a specific cause at a specific stage, would it perhaps make more difference than a monthly amount drip fed into the pockets of various charity workers, and rebel militia?

I read that the monthly donations take 3 years to recover the cost of signing you up to them, before there is any money for the cause.

BUT perhaps if you speak to VSO or some organisation that has people on the ground, find and then fund a specific project you may actually achieve something e.g. a clean water source, or a school room and may be able to put your Dad's name on it.

Don't know if it would work. but maybe

over a year ago

"To be honest i sometimes wonder who would help us?

If for some odd reason we had a freak weather disaster that made 90% of this country homeless, how many countries do you think would help us?"

We could ask the handful of countries in the world that are richer to help

over a year ago

"I want to sponser a child you get letters and progress reports. "

We sponsor a dog, and get letters and progress reports from it! strange thing is my mother in law also sponsors a dog and gets the same letters!

over a year ago

"I want to sponser a child you get letters and progress reports.

We sponsor a dog, and get letters and progress reports from it! strange thing is my mother in law also sponsors a dog and gets the same letters! "

Bloody hell, there's a coincidence - you're both sponsoring the same dog

over a year ago

"Just thinking outside the box here, but, if you have a substantial amount given to a specific cause at a specific stage, would it perhaps make more difference than a monthly amount drip fed into the pockets of various charity workers, and rebel militia?

I read that the monthly donations take 3 years to recover the cost of signing you up to them, before there is any money for the cause.

BUT perhaps if you speak to VSO or some organisation that has people on the ground, find and then fund a specific project you may actually achieve something e.g. a clean water source, or a school room and may be able to put your Dad's name on it.

Don't know if it would work. but maybe "

Most charities would prefer regular ongoing donations.

VSO (or even better somebody you know who has been) is a good idea.

The figures thrown around can only be relevant to particular organisations. If a charity has too many overheads for your liking choose another.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"3 pounds a month with help a family ... if i give some money a month do you think it would get there ?? That's what worries me if money is taken for other things and not all going to help them. Do you ever give money to charities ? it doesn't get there the fatcats get most of it. I want to sponser a child you get letters and progress reports. "

What fat cats?

Oxfam are a great organisation and well worth donating too. They will doubtless have directors who are well paid but a huge worldwide charity needs high quality people to run it.

Some of a donation may go to their running costs but you can't expect a charity to operate without those and still do good in the world.

over a year ago

"I want to sponser a child you get letters and progress reports.

We sponsor a dog, and get letters and progress reports from it! strange thing is my mother in law also sponsors a dog and gets the same letters! "

i only do animal charities

Theres a retired greyhound shelter not far from me and i give them food weekly, i pick up a sack of dog food and drop it off when i go to get my dogs food, we (me and my daughter) also go in and help muck out at a weekend and do dog walking

Charity isnt just about giving money sometimes your time is just as important

over a year ago

"offering someone birth control isnt taking away their rights, i take birth control i still have rights, noone said force feed them the pill, just offer it as an option, im sure there would be many women over there that would sooner take it and not watch their kids die if i was an option for them

"

I said that in the context that I thought it was being suggested that birth control, hence less people, would somehow solve starvation in famine affected countries.

It is an option in most places. If you're poor and you think you may die, it's understandable if you think it best to have as many as possible. People in this country did.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

It isn't working ....

arent these areas predominantly catholic and so providing birth control is agains their religion?

Most African countries are Islam and Christian

......... "

I think Catholics consider themselves to be Christians.

over a year ago

"3 pounds a month with help a family ... if i give some money a month do you think it would get there ?? That's what worries me if money is taken for other things and not all going to help them. Do you ever give money to charities ? it doesn't get there the fatcats get most of it. I want to sponser a child you get letters and progress reports.

What fat cats?

Oxfam are a great organisation and well worth donating too. They will doubtless have directors who are well paid but a huge worldwide charity needs high quality people to run it.

Some of a donation may go to their running costs but you can't expect a charity to operate without those and still do good in the world. "

Hm how much does quality cost though? Some of the salaries and perks in the sector are shocking. Oxfam included.

By *n2cplCouple
over a year ago

swindon

Great Ormond Street, local hospices that look after terminally ill children and adults and make their last days as comfortable as they can be. Macmillan, Marie Curie or Cancer research all are UK based charities whose work is incredible. I know there are lots more worthy UK charities out there. Its sad that people abroad are suffering but the UK charities now need our help more than ever.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" .........

Hm how much does quality cost though? Some of the salaries and perks in the sector are shocking. Oxfam included."

Ain't that the truth! Check out the sits vac in the Society pages of the Grauniad.

By *eenonfun2Couple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Makes me chuckle when we get the plastic bags through our door for us to fill with our clothes "to help the starving people in Africa" .... Well, if my clothes fit them, they're not fooking starving "

Brilliant

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Great Ormond Street, local hospices that look after terminally ill children and adults and make their last days as comfortable as they can be. Macmillan, Marie Curie or Cancer research all are UK based charities whose work is incredible. ..........."

The work of those organisations ought not to be left to charity.

If we believe their work is worthwhile, their funding ought to come from taxation.

over a year ago

"Great Ormond Street, local hospices that look after terminally ill children and adults and make their last days as comfortable as they can be. Macmillan, Marie Curie or Cancer research all are UK based charities whose work is incredible. ...........

The work of those organisations ought not to be left to charity.

If we believe their work is worthwhile, their funding ought to come from taxation."

I always think that

Theres a advert on at the moment trying to raise money for kids with leukemia, now ive worked with terminally ill people in the past and as far as i remember they get treatment on the NHS, i had a son that dies from leukemia and none of his treatment was charity founded, so what are these charity raising money for? wheres this money going

over a year ago

"someone mentioned things not changing, but the problem is the attitudes out there.

it takes time..

NGO's in the developing world cannot claim to have had any significant overall impact in the overall work done in the past 40 years or so.

Too many have tried to preach, convert, enforce our value systems and assumed 'we' know best. There is also a massive issue of dependence and self interest.

The only causes I would support are life saving, and those that help people to solve their own problems in their own ways - education, micro business etc. and it has to be on their own terms.

Anything with self interest - political, religious, will inevitably eventually fail - but that's where all the money is at."

Post new Message to Thread