Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Charity begins ....

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

With someone asking you for money ....

How charitable a person are you ?

Do you give every Comic Relief or Children in Need ?

How many times are you asked at work to sign on the dotted line ?

Are you getting charity fatigue ?

I'm going to be running a 10k race in early April, and the event is being sponsored by a local cancer hospice (Nightingale House) - all the profits from the event are going to them, and I'll be chipping in a few extra quid.

BUT I'm not running for charity ....

I've given up on begging around the office, and the constant request for little Tommy at school who is doing a sponsored silence etc.

It's rare, in the past, for anyone outside of family to pass a few shekels my way...

So in my own way I'm doing a bit, but I'm running for me, and my pleasure.

Am I a selfish bastard? Should I do more ?

Answers on a postcard .....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

you do what you want to do, not what others want you to do.

we only give money to animal charities.

over a year ago

No not selfish you are still doing something even if its enjoyable to you and that's the reason its still helping them

Im a bit selfish with other charity now when i found out only a small percentage of the money goes to them.

I do a lot of fund raising for a local children's hospice and always give money to them and they get all the money which is better in my eyes.

over a year ago

I work for a charity. I could make far more with the NHS or a private healthcare provider, but that's not why I got into the work I do.

I only give to H4H though.

over a year ago

"

we only give money to animal charities."

same here

over a year ago

I have done the London Marathon a few times in my younger days for the PDSA, been a few years now tho i dont think i could do it anymore lol

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

I also work for a charity,rather then the nhs or a private sector. I used to give a lot of my sundays up and do carboot sales etc for them. I don't have a lot of spare money but if I give its for cancer charities, animals and heart charities.

over a year ago

Does anyone run and hide when the sponsor form is doing the office round or shudder at another JustGiving web-link ?

Are we being asked too often ?

over a year ago

"Does anyone run and hide when the sponsor form is doing the office round or shudder at another JustGiving web-link ?

Are we being asked too often ?

"

i dont run and hide, if its for a charity i dont support i just say so, everyone has things they are and arnt for, we cant be expected to agree with and give to all charities surely?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I remember seeing the Channel Four documentary/expose a few years ago that showed just how little of every pound donated to Oxfam gets on the ground in Africa...or at least how little gets to the people who need it.

Administration and corruption strip that pound down to around 20p

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I wouldn't let other people's reactions stop me from doing something I wanted to do and believed in.

If everyone stopped asking for money for charity in case people said 'no', the charities would be pretty fucked.

Do what you think is the right thing to do.... whatever that is.

over a year ago

I don't give to any charity in aid of countries other than our own. There are plenty of people here who need our help.

I give to a certain cancer charity, I also do the North Run in aid of the same charity and living in area in which seafaring / fishing was a way of life in years gone by - I give to the Lifeboat Institution

I've been called in the past by people who think I'm a bit mean for not giving to the likes of Oxfam and all those types of charity, but The UK Government dish enough of our taxes out in foreign aid without me dishing out any more of my own money.

So yes - charity begins at home

over a year ago

"I wouldn't let other people's reactions stop me from doing something I wanted to do and believed in.

If everyone stopped asking for money for charity in case people said 'no', the charities would be pretty fucked.

Do what you think is the right thing to do.... whatever that is."

A little bit here and there where I can

what I don't like is where people feel you're obliged to sponsor them

I'm often asked, when I do one of these runs "Oh, what charity are you running for?" As if you're obliged to actually run for a charity

They still wouldn't sponsor me when I was though

over a year ago

"I remember seeing the Channel Four documentary/expose a few years ago that showed just how little of every pound donated to Oxfam gets on the ground in Africa...or at least how little gets to the people who need it.

Administration and corruption strip that pound down to around 20p"

I watched that programme too, I was shocked but not surprised at the findings. Totally opened my eyes to the fact most the ppl that were interviewed were sat in luxurious offices in expensive suits pushing pens.

I support and work for the charity Army of Angels which for me is a well needed charity, I also give donations of food and bedding etc to animal shelters.

If I'm approached on the street or at my front door, I politely say "thanks, but no thanks" to which 9 times out of 10, I get a shitty reply or a pushy git trying to persuade my decision !!

over a year ago

"but The UK Government dish enough of our taxes out in foreign aid without me dishing out any more of my own money.

So yes - charity begins at home"

Only where they have political interests.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I have a direct debit to Amnesty International. That is my chosen charity. Can't just keep giving and giving to every tin rattler.

Post new Message to Thread