Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

tips on flying

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

These are things I have found out by working at an airport, some are funny some are not.

When looking for your case at the reclaim belts, never trust any stickers that you have put on your case. I have seen baggage handlers remove the stickers from one case and put them on another one that is similar. Always use the bagage label that is attached to your case, as it has your name on it.

A padlock is optional on a zip up case, there are plenty of how to videos on youtube telling you how to get into your case when you have forgotten the padlock keys.

Also don't leave your padlock keys with your suitcase, as they can come off in the hold of an aircraft and get lost.

Don't use a fragile sticker on your baggage uless you really have to, it is better to try and wrap you fragile items in the middle of your case and protect it that way.

When buying a suitcase, make sure you look at the baggage dimension limits of the airline. As there are a lot of shops that will say cabin bag size and they are too big to fit in the airline baggage guages.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *imal75Man
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

thanks for the great tips mate. Quite useful to know.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

if a bus is provided to get you to the aircraft allow the stampede to get onto the bus first and get on the bus last. You will then be first off the bus and first onto the plane !

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

And if you do have a padlock make sure it is has a opening for a TSA key, or your bag will be cut or the padlock broken is US customs look in it

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"And if you do have a padlock make sure it is has a opening for a TSA key, or your bag will be cut or the padlock broken is US customs look in it"

Even if I'm going somewhere in Europe

over a year ago

I can only hazard a guess what mischief some get up to seeing a fragile sticker.

By *awkeye and HotlipsCouple
over a year ago

Takeley

Stick an address label inside your case. In the event of lost luggage, they have an address to send it too! Also, if you have a popular brand of case or one that looks very similar to ones everyone uses, tie an unusual or bright coloured piece of material to it. Makes it easier to spot on the carousel.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I can only hazard a guess what mischief some get up to seeing a fragile sticker. "

Fragile cases get treated at times a little harsher than most.

over a year ago

I use a plastic cable tie to lock my case - if it's missing, I know the case will have been opened. However, never happened yet. No keys to worry about - just cut the tie on arrival and put a new one on, on departure - simple, and very effective

over a year ago

"I use a plastic cable tie to lock my case - if it's missing, I know the case will have been opened. However, never happened yet. No keys to worry about - just cut the tie on arrival and put a new one on, on departure - simple, and very effective"

good idea ...gonna use that one

By *aris23Woman
over a year ago

France

"I use a plastic cable tie to lock my case - if it's missing, I know the case will have been opened. However, never happened yet. No keys to worry about - just cut the tie on arrival and put a new one on, on departure - simple, and very effective"

Brilliant tip...thank you.

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

That's what some of the TSA keys do, if customs open it a red flag pops up on a padlock

Get decent discounted ones from a decent make at TK Maxx. The TSA keys are like a Allan key inset on the bottom of the padlock

over a year ago

Tip for flying, use an aircraft! Or be a bird :D.

Sorry couldn't resist

Post new Message to Thread