Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Life skills

Jump to newest

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

One of my nephews girlfriend has asked if I can teach her how to bake bread and cakes. She says she was never shown how to cook either at school or by her family. Now I was taught to bake by my great grandfather and then grandfather. They always said if you can bake you can always eat and find work.

So what life skill is important to you

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *aris23Woman
over a year ago

France

I'm a female...I have too many to list...lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Life skills are so important.

I started to teach the boys them as soon as they became teens really.

They can both cook a meal and they know how to clean after them self..they know how to use the washing machine and wire a plug.

Also had them help decorate the house a few months ago so they can do that.

But my most recent achievement is they now both do their own ironing not bad 16 and pretty self sufficient.

And i now have more time and an easier life as they appreciate what they do have done for them and will be ok when they leave home.

Their dad didn't know how to boil an egg or use the washing machine at 20!!

over a year ago

Being able to cook would be good, my mother didn't bother to teach me but I would really love to pass my skills onto my kids unfortunately I have little to pass onto them other than what others have taught me on the way plus I could invite my family to my house and know they will enjoy it, not just eat it because they have to

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

my mum taught me to cook and bake...

over a year ago

I think what helped me in a way i came from a family background where myself and sisters were taught how to cook and clean from a young age.

It was just the way it was done as we got to teens we learnt how to run a home.

Hated it as a teen but the good thing to come from it was being able to look after myself.

over a year ago

"Being able to cook would be good, my mother didn't bother to teach me but I would really love to pass my skills onto my kids unfortunately I have little to pass onto them other than what others have taught me on the way plus I could invite my family to my house and know they will enjoy it, not just eat it because they have to "

You are not alone, I can't cook to save my life. Entertaining involves ready meals or take-outs here

over a year ago

When my kids were younger used to love making cakes, meals and pizza with them. At Xmas we used to make sweets for the grandparents and even decorations, that every year my mom

Still gets out and displays

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I could clean a three bedroomed house properly and right through by the time i was 12.When my mum and dad split up my dad used to give me extra pocket money to do his.

I also used to cook for my dad at a young age, he came from a generation where men went out to work and women stayed at home bought he learnt.

My son was self sufficent enough to leave home at 16 althouh hes not a great cook but i think thats more the fact that he cant be bothered

over a year ago

I learned to cook because (a) I needed to fend for myself when I was young, and (b) I enjoy cooking and food.

Also, being able to stand up and fend for myself from an early age.

over a year ago

I was taught to cook at an early age. I could cook a meal for 4 at about 12.

My brother on the other hand wasn't - I remember one time he and I were having fajitas and I left him in charge. I came back to find him cooking the lettuce and cucumber with the chicken and peppers

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I didn't learn to cook properly until I was in my 20s, yet I managed not to starve. My daughter can bake cakes and make pizza from scratch so I'm not too worried about her.

I think one of the most important life skills is being able to swim. You just never know!

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

"I didn't learn to cook properly until I was in my 20s, yet I managed not to starve. My daughter can bake cakes and make pizza from scratch so I'm not too worried about her.

I think one of the most important life skills is being able to swim. You just never know!"

Funny you should say that my mother can not swim at all and because of this all of us are strong swimmers that was taught early on.

I taught my daughter early too, used to take her from ten weeks old.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I never learnt to cook, sew or knit or any other domestic skills at school or at home so it was nt u ntil I was a student that I picked up the basics which I then refined as I grew older.

Tbh I did not (and still do not) consider the domestic skills as that important and thought/ think it is more important that children learn to swim, play an instrument etc as the domestic skills can be easily aquired later when they leave home. Two of mine literally learnt overnight how to fend for themselves...

I also think that a very important life skill is the ability to form and maintain relationships (not just close partners but other friendships) so I would include good, active listening skills and empathy in the skill set essential to becoming a grounded happy individual with the potential to lead a fulfilled life.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Plus, forgot to add, I think learning another language at an early age is a really good skill to have - not only does it broaden the horizon it also gives more options of finding work both here and abroad.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"I didn't learn to cook properly until I was in my 20s, yet I managed not to starve. My daughter can bake cakes and make pizza from scratch so I'm not too worried about her.

I think one of the most important life skills is being able to swim. You just never know!

Funny you should say that my mother can not swim at all and because of this all of us are strong swimmers that was taught early on.

I taught my daughter early too, used to take her from ten weeks old. "

My mother taught us all to swim when we were 3. She can't swim a stroke herself.

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

"I never learnt to cook, sew or knit or any other domestic skills at school or at home so it was nt u ntil I was a student that I picked up the basics which I then refined as I grew older.

Tbh I did not (and still do not) consider the domestic skills as that important and thought/ think it is more important that children learn to swim, play an instrument etc as the domestic skills can be easily aquired later when they leave home. Two of mine literally learnt overnight how to fend for themselves...

I also think that a very important life skill is the ability to form and maintain relationships (not just close partners but other friendships) so I would include good, active listening skills and empathy in the skill set essential to becoming a grounded happy individual with the potential to lead a fulfilled life."

I take all that on board, but I encourage my daughter to eat a well balanced diet and one of the easiest way is too cook it yourself . Always found my friends have a way of turning up at meal times.. Would you not agree conversation is easier over a meal and wine

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"I never learnt to cook, sew or knit or any other domestic skills at school or at home so it was nt u ntil I was a student that I picked up the basics which I then refined as I grew older.

I also think that a very important life skill is the ability to form and maintain relationships (not just close partners but other friendships) so I would include good, active listening skills and empathy in the skill set essential to becoming a grounded happy individual with the potential to lead a fulfilled life.

I take all that on board, but I encourage my daughter to eat a well balanced diet and one of the easiest way is too cook it yourself . Always found my friends have a way of turning up at meal times.. Would you not agree conversation is easier over a meal and wine "

Gosh yes, I do agree with you there - and I guess I encouraged that in mine, too. My house was always full of children, invariably each of them brought a friend home and they all ended up staying for tea.. I guess I was more coming from the angle that I would prefer to see swimming and langauge lessons at school rather than domestic stuff as I feelt hat can be learnt (informally) later. Having said that.. and I am contradicting myself here... for some cooking etc might be a basis for a future career so perhaps I should think about that a bit more...

Great thread btw

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

I take all that on board, but I encourage my daughter to eat a well balanced diet and one of the easiest way is too cook it yourself . Always found my friends have a way of turning up at meal times.. Would you not agree conversation is easier over a meal and wine Gosh yes, I do agree with you there - and I guess I encouraged that in mine, too. My house was always full of children, invariably each of them brought a friend home and they all ended up staying for tea.. I guess I was more coming from the angle that I would prefer to see swimming and langauge lessons at school rather than domestic stuff as I feelt hat can be learnt (informally) later. Having said that.. and I am contradicting myself here... for some cooking etc might be a basis for a future career so perhaps I should think about that a bit more...

Great thread btw "

Thank you,

When I attended school and I asked to do cooking, woodwork etc it was a case of choose one or the other.

over a year ago

This thread is making me feel very lucky. I take being able to cook, sew, knit, swim, read and write for granted. They're just things I've learned and never forgotten how to do.

I do wish I knew more about DIY stuff though, I think that's a life skill I need to learn.

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

I take all that on board, but I encourage my daughter to eat a well balanced diet and one of the easiest way is too cook it yourself . Always found my friends have a way of turning up at meal times.. Would you not agree conversation is easier over a meal and wine Gosh yes, I do agree with you there - and I guess I encouraged that in mine, too. My house was always full of children, invariably each of them brought a friend home and they all ended up staying for tea.. I guess I was more coming from the angle that I would prefer to see swimming and langauge lessons at school rather than domestic stuff as I feelt hat can be learnt (informally) later. Having said that.. and I am contradicting myself here... for some cooking etc might be a basis for a future career so perhaps I should think about that a bit more...

Great thread btw

Thank you,

When I attended school and I asked to do cooking, woodwork etc it was a case of choose one or the other. "

Just remembered schools are doing communication now, part of which is interaction with disability and how they manage. Think this is a great idea

By *ornieandhotCouple
over a year ago

Peterborough

My daughter goes to a special school life skills play a massive part of what they learn there

By the time she leaves she should be able to live independently

Pity it's not taught as well in mainstream

D x

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

I do wish I knew more about DIY stuff though, I think that's a life skill I need to learn."

Really good point and maybe one where many women still lag behind.

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

"This thread is making me feel very lucky. I take being able to cook, sew, knit, swim, read and write for granted. They're just things I've learned and never forgotten how to do.

I do wish I knew more about DIY stuff though, I think that's a life skill I need to learn."

You probably be surprised what you already know and you could always do a class on it.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"My daughter goes to a special school life skills play a massive part of what they learn there

D x "

over a year ago

"This thread is making me feel very lucky. I take being able to cook, sew, knit, swim, read and write for granted. They're just things I've learned and never forgotten how to do.

I do wish I knew more about DIY stuff though, I think that's a life skill I need to learn.

You probably be surprised what you already know and you could always do a class on it."

I'm considering it. I can put pictures up, build flat pack furniture and decorate but I can't wire a plug and plumb in a washing machine.

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

You probably be surprised what you already know and you could always do a class on it.

I'm considering it. I can put pictures up, build flat pack furniture and decorate but I can't wire a plug and plumb in a washing machine."

You be amazed how many men can not do that, my father phones is blind son to do his

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

"My daughter goes to a special school life skills play a massive part of what they learn there

D x "

I do talks in the special schools in my area and to be honest I get as much out of it has the children

over a year ago

When I was in my early teens I went to Sea Cadets, they make llearn how to iron, sew, bull your boots to a high shine, cook for yourself and your team.

As I was once told by an officer 'you can't take your mum with you everywhere'.

My Nan more than my mum taught me to bake as she had more free time to spend with both me & my sister.

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

"When I was in my early teens I went to Sea Cadets, they make llearn how to iron, sew, bull your boots to a high shine, cook for yourself and your team.

As I was once told by an officer 'you can't take your mum with you everywhere'.

My Nan more than my mum taught me to bake as she had more free time to spend with both me & my sister."

You hit the nail on the head about having the time, as I said alot of my baking skills were from great and grandparents as my parents both worked.

By *ethany10Couple
over a year ago

falkirk

My first job was as a trained chef at the Savoy in London. So I do all the cooking at home

Steve

over a year ago

I served in the army so know how to look after myself in any given situation.

The best life skill taught to me by my father is "Never say you Can't". You will be surprised what you can do if you just think about it first then try it.

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

Being a guy,I didn't have to learn any life skills.

My mam done all my necessary life skills stuff for me.now Mrs saucy does them,sorted.

Although,there are times,when I think to myself,if only I had stuck in at that ironing.

ah well,that's life,no point in dwelling on things that could have been.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Been thinking about this and on reflection I agree many of the skills named in this thread are really useful... however, I d still say that communication skills are THE most important skills in life, without them most aspects of life can be so much more difficult.

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

"Been thinking about this and on reflection I agree many of the skills named in this thread are really useful... however, I d still say that communication skills are THE most important skills in life, without them most aspects of life can be so much more difficult. "

That is true but I would have thought communication was something evolved from evolution. On the other hand good communication is something that can be taught and improved on over time.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Just thought of another useful skill... born out of my overindulgence in hot cross buns...

Self Discipline!

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

"Just thought of another useful skill... born out of my overindulgence in hot cross buns...

Self Discipline! "

Lol that made me laugh

Will power is something not everyone gets to master

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Just thought of another useful skill... born out of my overindulgence in hot cross buns...

Self Discipline!

Lol that made me laugh

Will power is something not everyone gets to master"

Would be a good profile name "Will Power"

over a year ago

"One of my nephews girlfriend has asked if I can teach her how to bake bread and cakes. She says she was never shown how to cook either at school or by her family. Now I was taught to bake by my great grandfather and then grandfather. They always said if you can bake you can always eat and find work.

So what life skill is important to you"

My 3yo son is of the firm belief that 'daddy fixes things'. Whenever something is broken he brings it to me with the absolute conviction that I can fix it, and I haven't failed him yet. IT comes from when I was a child myself and I took apart everything from the video recorder to the stereo to even having a go at taking the fridge door off to get to the light inside (it had stopped working, even with the door open)

My life skill: I'd never pay someone to fix something I hadn't had a go at myself first. I'm, rarely defeated.

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

Self Discipline!

Lol that made me laugh

Will power is something not everyone gets to masterWould be a good profile name "Will Power""

Sure someone has it

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

"One of my nephews girlfriend has asked if I can teach her how to bake bread and cakes. She says she was never shown how to cook either at school or by her family. Now I was taught to bake by my great grandfather and then grandfather. They always said if you can bake you can always eat and find work.

My 3yo son is of the firm belief that 'daddy fixes things'. Whenever something is broken he brings it to me with the absolute conviction that I can fix it, and I haven't failed him yet. IT comes from when I was a child myself and I took apart everything from the video recorder to the stereo to even having a go at taking the fridge door off to get to the light inside (it had stopped working, even with the door open)

My life skill: I'd never pay someone to fix something I hadn't had a go at myself first. I'm, rarely defeated."

I was the same must be a sparky thing

over a year ago

My life skill: I'd never pay someone to fix something I hadn't had a go at myself first. I'm, rarely defeated.

I was the same must be a sparky thing "

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Wishy and Nucs - my dad could fix anything and I mean anything and I so fondly remember the days of bringing him something that had broken, knwoing he would put it right. Lovely experience from a child's perspective.

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

"Wishy and Nucs - my dad could fix anything and I mean anything and I so fondly remember the days of bringing him something that had broken, knwoing he would put it right. Lovely experience from a child's perspective. "

My daughter still thinks I can

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Wishy and Nucs - my dad could fix anything and I mean anything and I so fondly remember the days of bringing him something that had broken, knwoing he would put it right. Lovely experience from a child's perspective.

My daughter still thinks I can "

Nothing worng with that - she will soon learn that there is a limit to most people's skills but for now (and she is only young as you said) it is so lovely to have that illusion that dad can fix it.

By *ucspark OP   Man
over a year ago

dudley

"Wishy and Nucs - my dad could fix anything and I mean anything and I so fondly remember the days of bringing him something that had broken, knwoing he would put it right. Lovely experience from a child's perspective.

My daughter still thinks I can Nothing worng with that - she will soon learn that there is a limit to most people's skills but for now (and she is only young as you said) it is so lovely to have that illusion that dad can fix it. "

Quite funny she tells everyone I fix everything and they do look rather puzzled

Post new Message to Thread