Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Question to people who receive council tax benefit

Jump to newest

By *hole Lotta Rosie OP   Woman
over a year ago

Deviant City

How do you feel now that you have to pay 20% towards your annual bill from April?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

What is Council Tax benefit??? Excuse my ignorance

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"What is Council Tax benefit??? Excuse my ignorance "

It's benefits that you get For council tax

Happy to help

Reply privately

By *ondcpl4meetCouple
over a year ago

North of the river

They probably wont pay that ,and ask for another bigger house lol

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I have to pay 100% towards my bill.. Id love to pay 20%..

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"They probably wont pay that ,and ask for another bigger house lol "

Funny but sadly you may be right there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hay I get council tax benefit and will be paying my bit from April and NOT asking for a bigger house !! Some of you are so judgemental !!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

Up until now, a lot of local authorities have paid the full amount of council tax if you receive benefits. Just wondering how the 20% will effect people.

There have been a LOT of cutbacks recently, more than people actually realise.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/02/13 16:29:56]

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"What is Council Tax benefit??? Excuse my ignorance

It's benefits that you get For council tax

Happy to help "

That was so clearly put Evesham.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have to pay 100% towards my bill.. Id love to pay 20%.."

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

"Hay I get council tax benefit and will be paying my bit from April and NOT asking for a bigger house !! Some of you are so judgemental !! "

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Hay I get council tax benefit and will be paying my bit from April and NOT asking for a bigger house !! Some of you are so judgemental !! "

I guess you have the biggest house already then.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Anyone who is adquatly housed will stay adquatly housed.. they don't dish out larger houses unless you are deemed as in need of a larger house and I am not how not paying will then see them ask for a bigger house...

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I thought it was 14% per extra bedroom that you dont need with the option of moving to smaller premises

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/02/13 16:37:19]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its not being judgemental people are getting fed up of paying out more, getting no pay rises, loosing child benefit and other benefits while working yet seeing people not working getting free money.

Reply privately

over a year ago

We don't get any Council Tax Benefit, but we know a few people who are on income support and job seekers allowance, and are now getting very worried about it and the bedroom tax as well.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

oh im mixed up with the bedroom tax, i dont know anything about council tax

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hay I get council tax benefit and will be paying my bit from April and NOT asking for a bigger house !! Some of you are so judgemental !!

I guess you have the biggest house already then."

I would like to point out I work part time and have 3 younge children that I bring up on my own with no help from there dad . Dew to my wage and the amount I have to pay out in child care I get parcal housing and councle tax benefit . Yes I have a councl house with 3 bed . But I worked 20 years before I had my children , when married I worked part time and my ex full time we paid in to the sistem for long anuth and I now find my self in hard times I see no shame in getting a little help untill I am able to go back to work full time

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Bring back poll tax, everyone should be accountable for themselves

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"I thought it was 14% per extra bedroom that you dont need with the option of moving to smaller premises"

That is for bedroom tax.. which effects your HB.. you have to pay the extra

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hay I get council tax benefit and will be paying my bit from April and NOT asking for a bigger house !! Some of you are so judgemental !!

I would like to point out I work part time and have 3 younge children that I bring up on my own with no help from there dad . Dew to my wage and the amount I have to pay out in child care I get parcal housing and councle tax benefit . Yes I have a councl house with 3 bed . But I worked 20 years before I had my children , when married I worked part time and my ex full time we paid in to the sistem for long anuth and I now find my self in hard times I see no shame in getting a little help untill I am able to go back to work full time "

That is what the benefit system was meant for, to help people through hard times, till they can get on their feet. Good luck to you!

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I would like to point out I work part time and have 3 younge children that I bring up on my own with no help from there dad . Dew to my wage and the amount I have to pay out in child care I get parcal housing and councle tax benefit . Yes I have a councl house with 3 bed . But I worked 20 years before I had my children , when married I worked part time and my ex full time we paid in to the sistem for long anuth and I now find my self in hard times I see no shame in getting a little help untill I am able to go back to work full time

That is what the benefit system was meant for, to help people through hard times, till they can get on their feet. Good luck to you! "

Seconded

Reply privately

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"oh im mixed up with the bedroom tax, i dont know anything about council tax"

Duvet tax is a far better thing I reckon. That's one tax I don't mind avoiding ;)

Wolf

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

Its not being judgemental people are getting fed up of paying out more, getting no pay rises, loosing child benefit and other benefits while working yet seeing people not working getting free money."

Some people CAN'T work though. What about the people who worked, paid into the system and through unfortunate circumstances are no longer able to earn a living?

Reply privately

By *inkershoes69Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

That is what the benefit system was meant for, to help people through hard times, till they can get on their feet. Good luck to you! Seconded "

well said, some on here would have u stoned in the street

Reply privately

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

Its not being judgemental people are getting fed up of paying out more, getting no pay rises, loosing child benefit and other benefits while working yet seeing people not working getting free money.

Some people CAN'T work though. What about the people who worked, paid into the system and through unfortunate circumstances are no longer able to earn a living?

"

non-equine content for frozen lasagne?

Wolf

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

That is what the benefit system was meant for, to help people through hard times, till they can get on their feet. Good luck to you! Seconded well said, some on here would have u stoned in the street"

I just think that being in work these days you are lucky and most of us who are in work are (potentially) at best 3 months away from not having one

Reply privately

over a year ago

That is what the benefit system was meant for, to help people through hard times, till they can get on their feet. Good luck to you! Seconded "

It just pisses me of when people . Make statement like . When there asked to pay they prob wont and they will ask for a bigger house !! Not every one on benefits is abussing the system there are some I agree .

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Very few CAN'T work! Many more claim they CAN'T work but the words they should use is DON'T WANT TO. Why should people who are working pay more and get less?

Reply privately

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

I just think that being in work these days you are lucky and most of us who are in work are (potentially) at best 3 months away from not having one "

Never a truer word spoken

Wolf

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

"I thought it was 14% per extra bedroom that you dont need with the option of moving to smaller premises

That is for bedroom tax.. which effects your HB.. you have to pay the extra "

It can be easily avoided. I know a couple who have had their 2 youngest children of 18 and 23 move back in to fill the 2 spare rooms.

Neither child work, both claim JSA, so dont need to pay towards their parents housing or council tax benefit, but still pay housekeep to parents.

Mother never worked a day in her life and the father has claimed DLA for 20 years and has no disabilities.

Now that a 'kin joke.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I love my job and am going to court to try to get my ex to have his kids for at least the school holidays so that I can then work full time . My kids have the Micky taken out of them because we were untill a few months ago getting free school dinners

Reply privately

By *hangovCouple
over a year ago

sheffield

I have worked full time, and paid NI contris, ever since I left university. Due to NHS cuts my job ends in March and my income will be nil. I am currently applying for jobs. If I do not manage to get a job by 1st April and I claim JSA will this make me a scrounger and benefit cheat?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"How do you feel now that you have to pay 20% towards your annual bill from April?

"

it's a fallacy that council tax benefit covered the whole bill. Back in 2009 I regularly had to take people on benefits to court because they hadn't paid their bill......

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

Very few CAN'T work! Many more claim they CAN'T work but the words they should use is DON'T WANT TO. Why should people who are working pay more and get less? "

yes there are a hell of a lot who dont want to work and because of this, people are so judgmental towards the genuine claimants. More should be done to get the dossers back into work, instead of making genuine people suffer.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"I thought it was 14% per extra bedroom that you dont need with the option of moving to smaller premises

That is for bedroom tax.. which effects your HB.. you have to pay the extra

It can be easily avoided. I know a couple who have had their 2 youngest children of 18 and 23 move back in to fill the 2 spare rooms.

Neither child work, both claim JSA, so dont need to pay towards their parents housing or council tax benefit, but still pay housekeep to parents.

Mother never worked a day in her life and the father has claimed DLA for 20 years and has no disabilities.

Now that a 'kin joke."

I don't think its a joke its a prevention to further homelessness..

Reply privately

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

Very few CAN'T work! Many more claim they CAN'T work but the words they should use is DON'T WANT TO. Why should people who are working pay more and get less? "

Sounds like there's a glowing career ahead at ATOS there....

Wolf

Reply privately

over a year ago

you could always get a lodger for your spare room.

Reply privately

over a year ago

That is what the benefit system was meant for, to help people through hard times, till they can get on their feet. Good luck to you! Seconded well said, some on here would have u stoned in the street"

It's because they see everything as a statistic. My own mother and father have a small works pension between them which means they get some help with rent on their small bungalow. But as dad was a paramedic for over thirty years and mum worked and paid her stamp whilst bringing up four boys then I think they deserve a little help now that times are a bit tighter for them. They've earned it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

"I have worked full time, and paid NI contris, ever since I left university. Due to NHS cuts my job ends in March and my income will be nil. I am currently applying for jobs. If I do not manage to get a job by 1st April and I claim JSA will this make me a scrounger and benefit cheat?"

sadly to many people it will. People aren't bothered about circumstances, they will judge non the less.

I wish you luck in finding a new job xx

Reply privately

By *eryCuriousCouple2012Couple
over a year ago

Funville

"Its not being judgemental people are getting fed up of paying out more, getting no pay rises, loosing child benefit and other benefits while working yet seeing people not working getting free money.

"

I have made this point before and probably will do again but it is NOT free money!!!

It is money that has been paid through tax and NI contributions by every person who has worked in this country in the expectation that should the worst befall them and they find themselves without employment then they will have a financial cushion to fall back on.

It is the demonising of the poverty stricken by the government, the media and people who are judgemental and sanctimonious that personally sickens me to the stomach.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think they ( the benefit system ) should employ a LOT more investigators . I bet if they looked closely and maybe followed a few around they would find a lot of WONT WORKS claiming to be CAN'T WORKS

Reply privately

By *hangovCouple
over a year ago

sheffield

Thanks purring pussy

xx

Reply privately

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"Its not being judgemental people are getting fed up of paying out more, getting no pay rises, loosing child benefit and other benefits while working yet seeing people not working getting free money.

I have made this point before and probably will do again but it is NOT free money!!!

It is money that has been paid through tax and NI contributions by every person who has worked in this country in the expectation that should the worst befall them and they find themselves without employment then they will have a financial cushion to fall back on.

It is the demonising of the poverty stricken by the government, the media and people who are judgemental and sanctimonious that personally sickens me to the stomach. "

It is indeed an insurance this national insurance of ours, however it's more likely to be a national insurance without the insurance.

You're right that this government without exception has demonstrated its mastery of setting groups of people against each other during adverse times in order to mask the real issues that get introduced oh so quietly akin to slipping an envelope under the door and stealthily creeping off to avoid the comeback.

As for the last bit - the ignorance people demonstrate towards their fellow man (or woman) is staggering. If we had the round up for dunkirk these days we'd be found severely lacking.

Wolf

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think they ( the benefit system ) should employ a LOT more investigators . I bet if they looked closely and maybe followed a few around they would find a lot of WONT WORKS claiming to be CAN'T WORKS "

thats all well and good but a lot of women who have claimed money they are not entitled to get away with it when they get caught, you see it in the papers all the time.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think they ( the benefit system ) should employ a LOT more investigators . I bet if they looked closely and maybe followed a few around they would find a lot of WONT WORKS claiming to be CAN'T WORKS "

2 down our street been dobbed in for fiddling since xmas.

Reply privately

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"I think they ( the benefit system ) should employ a LOT more investigators . I bet if they looked closely and maybe followed a few around they would find a lot of WONT WORKS claiming to be CAN'T WORKS

2 down our street been dobbed in for fiddling since xmas. "

They weren't bankers who received untold billions in baleout loans of taxpayers money without any strings were they?

Reply privately

over a year ago

We pay £1200 a year council tax. 20% is £240 a year. divided by 12 equals £20 a month. Can people on benefits really not put a fiver a week by? I dont know what amounts others pay per year so would it be as much as that?

Reply privately

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

"Bring back poll tax, everyone should be accountable for themselves "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think they ( the benefit system ) should employ a LOT more investigators . I bet if they looked closely and maybe followed a few around they would find a lot of WONT WORKS claiming to be CAN'T WORKS

thats all well and good but a lot of women who have claimed money they are not entitled to get away with it when they get caught, you see it in the papers all the time."

I have seen that in the news as well . But if they could just be stopped now from claming any more that would be a start wouldn't it

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

As for the last bit - the ignorance people demonstrate towards their fellow man (or woman) is staggering.

Wolf "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Let's bring back the workhouses too, we could put all the lazy unemployed and scrounging benefits claimants there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

They weren't bankers who received untold billions in baleout loans of taxpayers money without any strings were they?

"

No they were work shy gits who dont want to work. Sounds lie this is a raw nerve to you want to tell us all something?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

You on the fiddle too then?

Reply privately

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

No they were work shy gits who dont want to work. Sounds lie this is a raw nerve to you want to tell us all something?"

Yes.. It's this - I'm happy to pay MY taxes and national insurance to help someone LESS fortunate than myself.

Wolf

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its not being judgemental people are getting fed up of paying out more, getting no pay rises, loosing child benefit and other benefits while working yet seeing people not working getting free money."

Some of the unemployed will probably be sick of seeing workers getting paid to take never ending fag breaks and as doing as little work as possible while they struggle to get interviews!!!

Is child benefit not free money? Don't workers on low income not get rent benefit AND council tax benefit?

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/02/13 17:14:56]

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

You on the fiddle too then? "

I would not normally respond to personal attacks, but as I am the second person you are accusing I will just say this : I have been fortunate to have worked all my life -some have not been so lucky.

And on a separate note...I am not sure whether personal attacks are helpful in a serious discussion.

Reply privately

over a year ago

No they were work shy gits who dont want to work. Sounds lie this is a raw nerve to you want to tell us all something?

Yes.. It's this - I'm happy to pay MY taxes and national insurance to help someone LESS fortunate than myself.

Wolf

"

Yeh right and Im Prince Charles lol

But you WOULDN'T dob in someone on the fiddle then?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Wolf

"

Me, too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You on the fiddle too then?

I would not normally respond to personal attacks, but as I am the second person you are accusing I will just say this : I have been fortunate to have worked all my life -some have not been so lucky.

And on a separate note...I am not sure whether personal attacks are helpful in a serious discussion."

Twisty twisty it was a question and a light hearted one are you trying to get me a ban?

Reply privately

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"They probably wont pay that ,and ask for another bigger house lol "

Really?? you can't pick YOUR family...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have worked full time, and paid NI contris, ever since I left university. Due to NHS cuts my job ends in March and my income will be nil. I am currently applying for jobs. If I do not manage to get a job by 1st April and I claim JSA will this make me a scrounger and benefit cheat?"

yes according to some on here, but not me, i dont know why some wont live and let live, there very judgemental, i just hope they never fall on bad times

Reply privately

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

Wolf

But you WOULDN'T dob in someone on the fiddle then? "

I believe in the welfare state, and I'm by no means that selfish as to judge who and who doesn't get my contributions.

In the same way as I don't believe in a securitate state that informs on others as I thought we'd faught against such regimes of terror and tyranny in the 1940's and have helped others in the free world escape from such things ever since - even though cameron will get his ceaucescu moment.

And that is my final word on the subject.

Wolf

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wolf

But you WOULDN'T dob in someone on the fiddle then?

I believe in the welfare state, and I'm by no means that selfish as to judge who and who doesn't get my contributions.

In the same way as I don't believe in a securitate state that informs on others as I thought we'd faught against such regimes of terror and tyranny in the 1940's and have helped others in the free world escape from such things ever since - even though cameron will get his ceaucescu moment.

And that is my final word on the subject.

Wolf

"

So you wouldn't grass a benefits cheat in then?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"I have worked full time, and paid NI contris, ever since I left university. Due to NHS cuts my job ends in March and my income will be nil. I am currently applying for jobs. If I do not manage to get a job by 1st April and I claim JSA will this make me a scrounger and benefit cheat?

yes according to some on here, but not me, i dont know why some wont live and let live, there very judgemental, i just hope they never fall on bad times "

Quite agree... it is easy to say when you have not been in the siutation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

"We pay £1200 a year council tax. 20% is £240 a year. divided by 12 equals £20 a month. Can people on benefits really not put a fiver a week by? I dont know what amounts others pay per year so would it be as much as that? "

yes I can (just cut back in other areas) and happy to do so, but would much prefer to be in work.

Although when I was in full time work (44hrs a week) and a single parent paying child care costs, I was still entitled to tax credits and housing/council tax benefit as I only earned £10k per year.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have worked full time, and paid NI contris, ever since I left university. Due to NHS cuts my job ends in March and my income will be nil. I am currently applying for jobs. If I do not manage to get a job by 1st April and I claim JSA will this make me a scrounger and benefit cheat?

yes according to some on here, but not me, i dont know why some wont live and let live, there very judgemental, i just hope they never fall on bad times Quite agree... it is easy to say when you have not been in the siutation."

Believe it or not, i've never been in that situtation, but i hope if i am, there will be something to sofen the fall, but im not holding my breath on it, judgeing by the cross section of coments here, and i really dont care what my taxes go on, id rather them pay for a family who needs the help than fight a war

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

yes according to some on here, but not me, i dont know why some wont live and let live, there very judgemental, i just hope they never fall on bad times Quite agree... it is easy to say when you have not been in the siutation.

Believe it or not, i've never been in that situtation, but i hope if i am, there will be something to sofen the fall, but im not holding my breath on it, judgeing by the cross section of coments here, and i really dont care what my taxes go on, id rather them pay for a family who needs the help than fight a war "

Could not agree with you more. Once again it is about having compassion and seeing reality as shades of grey rather than in a dualistic black and white format.

Reply privately

over a year ago

yes according to some on here, but not me, i dont know why some wont live and let live, there very judgemental, i just hope they never fall on bad times Quite agree... it is easy to say when you have not been in the siutation."

When I left my ex I got £48 pound a week child benefit and £46 pound a week JSA . Dew to a mistake on a form my children and I live in a B AND B room ment for a single person we lived like that for 12 weeks till they sorted out my child tax credits . Any one who says we are getting ALL this free money wants to try living like that from a wile . My fave quote has all ways been " don't juge a man untill you have walked a mile in his shoes !!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

"

Believe it or not, i've never been in that situtation, but i hope if i am, there will be something to sofen the fall, but im not holding my breath on it, judgeing by the cross section of coments here, and i really dont care what my taxes go on, id rather them pay for a family who needs the help than fight a war Could not agree with you more. Once again it is about having compassion and seeing reality as shades of grey rather than in a dualistic black and white format. "

Reply privately

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

Well said fuckbunny

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

ok can you debate without getting personal please...it spoils the debate and gets peoples backs up.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think now the country is to pot , two people existing in this country,

One admires your car

Other wants to scratch it

Really we ought to look at the people who invent there jobs at 50-100k

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Could not agree with you more. Once again it is about having compassion and seeing reality as shades of grey rather than in a dualistic black and white format. "

Reply privately

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

yes according to some on here, but not me, i dont know why some wont live and let live, there very judgemental, i just hope they never fall on bad times Quite agree... it is easy to say when you have not been in the siutation.

When I left my ex I got £48 pound a week child benefit and £46 pound a week JSA . Dew to a mistake on a form my children and I live in a B AND B room ment for a single person we lived like that for 12 weeks till they sorted out my child tax credits . Any one who says we are getting ALL this free money wants to try living like that from a wile . My fave quote has all ways been " don't juge a man untill you have walked a mile in his shoes !! "

Your so right ,and the press dont help trying to lay the "scrounger" tag on people who are genuinely in difficulty

and entitled by law to those benefits.

You wouldn't accuse anyone who uses their tax allowances of being scroungers as the govt needs that income to pay off the debt.

Reply privately

over a year ago

. Let the rich get richer.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Apparently so

Reply privately

over a year ago

It is the demonising of the poverty stricken by the government, the media and people who are judgemental and sanctimonious that personally sickens me to the stomach. "

Well said

Reply privately

over a year ago

Very few CAN'T work! Many more claim they CAN'T work but the words they should use is DON'T WANT TO. Why should people who are working pay more and get less?

yes there are a hell of a lot who dont want to work and because of this, people are so judgmental towards the genuine claimants. More should be done to get the dossers back into work, instead of making genuine people suffer."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"How do you feel now that you have to pay 20% towards your annual bill from April?

"

Not everyone will lose 20% . For a start it depends on which county you live in. In Derbyshire for example, the reduction is 10%. People who are unemployed or families where both parents are unemployed will not have a shortfall to make up out of their other benefits ie; Jobseekers allowance. It doesn't affect O.A.P's either. The main people to be affected are those who are working and who have a percentage of their council tax paid. Before people start scaremongering, just remember,that we all have a right to welfare and as we are governed by European Law, there is a legislation that states that everyone within the E.U has a 'right to survival'. This is a broad law that can be read fully via a simple GOOGLE search. What may happen, and often does, is that one authoritive body, in this case the local council, will take away a financial support mechanism or reduce it as in this case, but this will be negated by the implementation of funding from another source, ie; modified benefits from the DWP.

As people who are unemployed for example are already on the bare minimum the government determines they need to 'survive' in accordance with EU legislation, how do you propose they make these people find extra money to make up shortfalls due to local authority cuts, without breaching or contravening the current EU laws?

Stop scaremongering, stop categorising the unemployed populous as 'swcroungers' before you KNOW their exact circumstances. For those that do this, try this and then come back and pass judgement: If you are a couple, take your meter readings for your gas and electricity usage, then take your water bill and divide the yearly amount by 52.

Once you have done this, draw £240.00 out of your bank. This £240.00 has to provide you and any kids you have with Gas, electricity, water, food. clothing, pay for your phone if you have one, internet to name the basics.( And yes, this is the government that expects every unemployed person to be contactable by phone 24 HOURS A DAY, and to have internet access, should work become available!) OK...now this may seem easy for the first 2 weeks, yes!..2 WEEKS...that's how long your £240.00 has to last before you get it again...now try doing it for 6 months or a year. See that car or cars you have in your drive?...think you'll be able to afford to put petrol in it, nevermind insuring it, taxing it or paying for any breakdowns. Those sunday lunches in the pub, those drives out to the country, the taking the kids swimming, to a theme park, going on holiday?...all those things that you take for granted, do you really think unemployed dont want those things for themselves or their children? Having to say no to kids when their friends want to go to the cinema because you cant afford a fiver entrance fee, yet alone the fuel or bus fare to get there. Your friends going for a night out, you can't go because you have no transport yet alone being able to afford a babysitter. Just a few examples...think on!!

Narrow-minded, self-centred ignorance...just remember, it may happen to you!

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you get benefits and now need to pay more - so what? If you don't like it - so what? - no-one gives a toss - suck it up and deal with it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If you get benefits and now need to pay more - so what? If you don't like it - so what? - no-one gives a toss - suck it up and deal with it"

your all heart you arent ya.

Reply privately

By *ichelle n big alCouple
over a year ago

Derbys

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some of the unemployed will probably be sick of seeing workers getting paid to take never ending fag breaks and as doing as little work as possible while they struggle to get interviews!!!

Is child benefit not free money? Don't workers on low income not get rent benefit AND council tax benefit? "

And you think the government pays more 'benefits' out when the cost of food goes up? Or pays more when bus fares go up because they put the price of fuel up again?...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have to pay 100% towards my bill.. Id love to pay 20%..

"

same here

Reply privately

over a year ago

THis

Reply privately

over a year ago

I havent got a clue as yet on how it will effect me. ?

What with the f...ing bedroom tax and now this...why not an arsnic pill to all on benefits and get rid of the problem.....

I have worked since i was 15yrs old. fulltime and then full and part time when my son was little. No help re nurseries either. my old mom helped. Then back to full time when he was older. I have never signed on in all them years but now i CANT work due to ill health and if im honest. Im sick and fed up with being tarred with the same brush as the workshy and those who choose to try and re populate the world on their own.

Its bloody hard on benefits. i kid you not. i get enough to survive on. and yes i agree, it shouldnt be the same or more as those who work.

If someone has a magic wand and make my problems go away....i would be back at work tomorrow.

It aint gonna happen though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wow some very judgementle posts on here!

We don't recieve any benefits so we pay 100% for everything!

But for those that are getting their wages topped up with benefits are going to feel the pinch when these cuts come into force

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

IF people don't know about it already, it's worth looking into the Single Person Discount.

The Council Tax assumes that there's two adults living in a house.

If only one adult lives in the property (as their main home) the bill may be reduced by 25%.

Apply via your council.

You don't have to be on any sort of benefit to qualify.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its easy to be judgemental but its also easy to find yourself in a bad situation with no one to help except the benefits. Thats what its for.

Blame the welfare system for giving it out willynilly and without first checking the authenticity of the claimants.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

....... and make sure your home is in the correct band. Talk to your neighbours in similar sized houses.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am fed up with watching Millionaire PM's

claiming thousands in "Allowences" but I don't see you complaing about that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

And if you want to be flippant about it Iserved for 22yrs in the Army. In Northern Ireland I was shot at twice, In the Falklands I was on the Sir Gallaghad when it was blown up. After I got out I was thrown on the rubbish tip.

Got no help for housing(Single men are on the bottom of the pile) A charity stepped in and I am now in the only housing I can get. It happens to be a three bed house. After this so called "Reform" I will probably be unable to live here. So I will be homeless AGAIN.

I am fighting for my life. WHAT are you fighting for

Reply privately

By *picenicelyCouple
over a year ago

third star on the right

[Removed by poster at 21/02/13 19:55:52]

Reply privately

By *picenicelyCouple
over a year ago

third star on the right

"And if you want to be flippant about it Iserved for 22yrs in the Army. In Northern Ireland I was shot at twice, In the Falklands I was on the Sir Gallaghad when it was blown up. After I got out I was thrown on the rubbish tip.

Got no help for housing(Single men are on the bottom of the pile) A charity stepped in and I am now in the only housing I can get. It happens to be a three bed house. After this so called "Reform" I will probably be unable to live here. So I will be homeless AGAIN.

I am fighting for my life. WHAT are you fighting for

"

Reply privately

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

Its ohhh so easy to judge people you know nothing about.Sure a minority of criminally minded people pop the system

but that is the same as chucking horse into beef mince ,or fiddling the tax.

If the people of this country demonize the people on benefits,how does it improve things,to make people who need a hand up feel worse than they already do. I have been on these forums for many years now and have seen hostility towards people on benefits grow faster than the unemployment figures.

People should not have to account for or feel bad for needing the safety net provided by the people of this country, for its own people. A benefit fought for by previous generations of hard working people.

Sure catch the criminals and give them what they deserve ,but at the time provide support and training to get genuine people back to work instead of calling them scroungers.

it doesn't take long for peoples self esteem to disappear when unemployed

lets get off their backs eh, remember no one in this day and age is exempt from the dole queue,there but for the grace of good luck go all of us .

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Its ohhh so easy to judge people you know nothing about.Sure a minority of criminally minded people pop the system

If the people of this country demonize the people on benefits,how does it improve things,to make people who need a hand up feel worse than they already do. I have been on these forums for many years now and have seen hostility towards people on benefits grow faster than the unemployment figures.

People should not have to account for or feel bad for needing the safety net provided by the people of this country, for its own people. A benefit fought for by previous generations of hard working people.

Sure catch the criminals and give them what they deserve ,but at the time provide support and training to get genuine people back to work instead of calling them scroungers.

lets get off their backs eh, remember no one in this day and age is exempt from the dole queue,there but for the grace of good luck go all of us . "

Could not have put it better myself

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Its ohhh so easy to judge people you know nothing about.Sure a minority of criminally minded people pop the system

lets get off their backs eh, remember no one in this day and age is exempt from the dole queue,there but for the grace of good luck go all of us . Could not have put it better myself "

Thank you for your common sense approach to this subject.

Why aren't you an MP

Reply privately

By *exywheelsCouple
over a year ago

inverness

Maybe they should put more effort in to not making mistakes and paying out more money than they have to than just demonizing those who do claim. It happened to me circumstances changed so told the job center a couple of days latter final giro arrived. Then 2 weeks later another one arrived so handed it back telling them why a week later it came back to me so this time I sent it back with a letter saying why. 2 weeks later back it came and another giro was with it for the next payment. At this point gave up and just cashed them this went on for 11 months when they realised the answer from them was as you told us in writing its our mistake we will just forget about it

How much is lost due to errors my the benefits staff. And could this not be sorted out instead of attacking those who need it

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

lets get off their backs eh, remember no one in this day and age is exempt from the dole queue,there but for the grace of good luck go all of us . "

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/02/13 23:08:58]

Reply privately

over a year ago

There are always extremes. There will always be lots of people who manipulate the benefits system and have no intention of ever working. In the same way there will always be lots of people who manipulate the tax system and never pay what they rightly should. If policy is determined only by extremes then society will be the poorer. The fact is the extremes at both ends do cost the ordinary tax payer millions of pounds and the more that can be done to make those that should be paying tax, whether it be individual or corporate, the better and likewise the more that can be done to encourage those who can and are capable of work to support themselves rather than rely on the state the better.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's 30% here! I know longer need it now left uni and got a good job, but I know people who genuinely need it after working for a life time due to circumstances, and are treated terribly now. Reality of how the system works is very different to what's on tv and paper.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's 30% here! I know longer need it now left uni and got a good job, but I know people who genuinely need it after working for a life time due to circumstances, and are treated terribly now. Reality of how the system works is very different to what's on tv and paper. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

" Reality of how the system works is very different to what's on tv and paper. "

It really is

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's 30% here! I know longer need it now left uni and got a good job, but I know people who genuinely need it after working for a life time due to circumstances, and are treated terribly now. Reality of how the system works is very different to what's on tv and paper. "

You only find out how deep the shit really is, when your stood in it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's 30% here! I know longer need it now left uni and got a good job, but I know people who genuinely need it after working for a life time due to circumstances, and are treated terribly now. Reality of how the system works is very different to what's on tv and paper.

You only find out how deep the shit really is, when your stood in it "

Indeed you do, I am young so have a chance to try fight get out and make myself a future which I have. Others will never get the chance especially older people. I have been in situations due to loss(death) of family members, leaving you with nothing. Help that should be there is kept away from you and no sympathy is shown, then years later apology letters arrive to say common things such as 'we are sorry we lost you in the system' etc etc

Reply privately

over a year ago

The system is such that its isnt designed for those that have no experiance of it.

If you hear of people claiming huge amounts, they are the exception not the norm.

Lots of people fall through the system and get little or no help.

Having any pride or self esteem means the system will chew you up and spit you out.

No body should fiddle but I do understand why some do.

Reply privately

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

I was on benefit and always paid 25% of my Council Tax bill. I did get my rent paid.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"The system is such that its isnt designed for those that have no experiance of it.

If you hear of people claiming huge amounts, they are the exception not the norm.

Lots of people fall through the system and get little or no help.

Having any pride or self esteem means the system will chew you up and spit you out.

No body should fiddle but I do understand why some do."

It's probably naive of me but I don't see how anyone can falsely claim huge amounts of Council Tax Benefit.

The house doesn't move and it + the residents are available for inspection whenever the council sees fit.

A bit like the mansion tax - that's the reason why the Tories hate it - too hard to fiddle.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's probably naive of me but I don't see how anyone can falsely claim huge amounts of Council Tax Benefit.

"

When the new rules come in, some houses in the South East will be liable to huge council tax bills.

This will be paid straight to the person who claims it.

You can already see those landlords booking extra holidays on the strength of all the extra cash.

One of the reasons the Libs want the mansion tax on housing empires.

Couple of houses in London and your well up for the new tax then.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"It's probably naive of me but I don't see how anyone can falsely claim huge amounts of Council Tax Benefit.

When the new rules come in, some houses in the South East will be liable to huge council tax bills.

You can already see those landlords booking extra holidays on the strength of all the extra cash.

Couple of houses in London and your well up for the new tax then."

I'm not sure you've understood these 'new rules', whatever they are.

Rest assured, were there a chance you're correct, I'd be in the vanguard of those giving the ****ards a good kicking, but I don't see a situation arising.

Might you be thinking of the Mansion Tax?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Couple of houses in London and your well up for the new tax then.

I'm not sure you've understood these 'new rules', whatever they are.

Rest assured, were there a chance you're correct, I'd be in the vanguard of those giving the ****ards a good kicking, but I don't see a situation arising.

Might you be thinking of the Mansion Tax?"

The new rules mean anyone that claims will be paid into their bank account.

Landlords get 3 or 4 people to claim for rooms they rent.

Landlord gets the cash from tenants as part of their rent.

Have spoken to a few that have experiance of it under housing benefit.

Same room multiple tenants claiming for it.Plenty of cash left over after paying council their share.

All tenants are related to landlord as well.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

The new rules mean anyone that claims will be paid into their bank account.

Landlords get 3 or 4 people to claim for rooms they rent.

Landlord gets the cash from tenants as part of their rent.

Have spoken to a few that have experiance of it under housing benefit.

Same room multiple tenants claiming for it.Plenty of cash left over after paying council their share.

All tenants are related to landlord as well."

I'm still not sure you actually understand how Council Tax Benefit is calculated and paid.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am always somewhat confused by everyone having a pop at landlords. There has been a lack of newly built social housing over the past few years, the gap is being met by private landlords with the rent being largely market determined based on supply and demand. To own that property the landlord has either had to accumalate the cash to buy or take a mortgage which needs servicing. Either way the rent pays a yield based on investment. The "demand" is there and rental yields averaging about 4-5% are not totally outrageous. Would people rather see these houses empty with people having no where to live?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am always somewhat confused by everyone having a pop at landlords. There has been a lack of newly built social housing over the past few years, the gap is being met by private landlords with the rent being largely market determined based on supply and demand. To own that property the landlord has either had to accumalate the cash to buy or take a mortgage which needs servicing. Either way the rent pays a yield based on investment. The "demand" is there and rental yields averaging about 4-5% are not totally outrageous. Would people rather see these houses empty with people having no where to live?"

Good point there although you can get a bit more this way getting 5-8% in the right area but its still not megabucks and you are taking a risk with people.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I am always somewhat confused by everyone having a pop at landlords. There has been a lack of newly built social housing over the past few years, the gap is being met by private landlords with the rent being largely market determined based on supply and demand.

To own that property the landlord has either had to accumalate the cash to buy or take a mortgage which needs servicing. Either way the rent pays a yield based on investment.

The "demand" is there and rental yields averaging about 4-5% are not totally outrageous. Would people rather see these houses empty with people having no where to live?"

That mortgage 'which needs servicing' is all too often nowadays being serviced by Housing Benefit.

Does it really make sense for UK taxpayers to create property owning multi- millionaires?

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"..........Good point there although you can get a bit more this way getting 5-8% in the right area but its still not megabucks and you are taking a risk with people. "

Not if Housing Benefit is paying the rent which, in turn, is servicing the mortgage.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am always somewhat confused by everyone having a pop at landlords. There has been a lack of newly built social housing over the past few years, the gap is being met by private landlords with the rent being largely market determined based on supply and demand.

To own that property the landlord has either had to accumalate the cash to buy or take a mortgage which needs servicing. Either way the rent pays a yield based on investment.

The "demand" is there and rental yields averaging about 4-5% are not totally outrageous. Would people rather see these houses empty with people having no where to live?

That mortgage 'which needs servicing' is all too often nowadays being serviced by Housing Benefit.

Does it really make sense for UK taxpayers to create property owning multi- millionaires?"

No not at all however its cheaper to use private landlords as running council property is less efficient and costs more in many cases.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The "demand" is there and rental yields averaging about 4-5% are not totally outrageous. Would people rather see these houses empty with people having no where to live?

Does it really make sense for UK taxpayers to create property owning multi- millionaires?"

The alternative is the state taking the equity risk to build thus increasing the national debt burden. The private sector is going to have to fill the housing gap for years as the country simply does not have the cash to invest for the forseeable future.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"..........Good point there although you can get a bit more this way getting 5-8% in the right area but its still not megabucks and you are taking a risk with people.

Not if Housing Benefit is paying the rent which, in turn, is servicing the mortgage."

And insurgence, and repairs and refurbishing and the rest.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Does it really make sense for UK taxpayers to create property owning multi- millionaires?

The alternative is the state taking the equity risk to build thus increasing the national debt burden. The private sector is going to have to fill the housing gap for years as the country simply does not have the cash to invest for the forseeable future."

The State is taking the risk and funding it right now. It might as well arrange to benefit from any ongoing capital gains.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"..........Good point there although you can get a bit more this way getting 5-8% in the right area but its still not megabucks and you are taking a risk with people.

Not if Housing Benefit is paying the rent which, in turn, is servicing the mortgage.And insurgence, and repairs and refurbishing and the rest. "

D'ye get a lot of insurgence in Huddersfield?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Don't assume that everyone in receipt of council tax benefit is paying next to nothing. When I was out of work, I was entitled to no JSA (because it was 2nd spell unemployed within two tax years) and my wife was on 19K, but we still had to pay mortgage etc, and we got A WHOPPING 10% of our bill. That really helped a lot. So can I just say a big thanks to all our governments past present and future for being such a set of cunts. 20 odd years of tax and NI for fuck all. I want the central government, local government and civil service decimated. Lets see just how much tax we would have to pay then.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

No not at all however its cheaper to use private landlords as running council property is less efficient and costs more in many cases. "

That's simply incorrect.

Reply privately

By *ot30scoupleCouple
over a year ago

Oxford, London

It's so easy just to soak up the tabloid rhetoric and demonize the most vulnerable in our society.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The alternative is the state taking the equity risk to build thus increasing the national debt burden. The private sector is going to have to fill the housing gap for years as the country simply does not have the cash to invest for the forseeable future.

The State is taking the risk and funding it right now. It might as well arrange to benefit from any ongoing capital gains."

The state isn't take any risk in terms of principal invesment, that risk is being borne by the landlord - I know it is a short termist view, but by avoiding the capital invesment and just paying the housing benefit the state is making significant short term savings. Once the finances of the UK are more stable I am sure you will see investment in housing. While finances are not stable the state is happy for that housing burden to be borne by the private sector. Arguably you can trace the problem back to Thatcher and the sale of council houses.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"The alternative is the state taking the equity risk to build thus increasing the national debt burden. The private sector is going to have to fill the housing gap for years as the country simply does not have the cash to invest for the forseeable future.

The State is taking the risk and funding it right now. It might as well arrange to benefit from any ongoing capital gains.

The state isn't take any risk in terms of principal invesment, that risk is being borne by the landlord - I know it is a short termist view, but by avoiding the capital invesment and just paying the housing benefit the state is making significant short term savings. Once the finances of the UK are more stable I am sure you will see investment in housing. While finances are not stable the state is happy for that housing burden to be borne by the private sector. Arguably you can trace the problem back to Thatcher and the sale of council houses."

There's no doubt the Auld Whore is in the frame for this (and loadsa othe shit) but the notion that the Exchequer should fund amateur property 'tycoons' who've watched too much daytime 'be a landord' tv is just nonsensical.

The State is taking no risk at all.

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"It's so easy just to soak up the tabloid rhetoric and demonize the most vulnerable in our society. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The alternative is the state taking the equity risk to build thus increasing the national debt burden. The private sector is going to have to fill the housing gap for years as the country simply does not have the cash to invest for the forseeable future.

The state isn't take any risk in terms of principal invesment, that risk is being borne by the landlord - I know it is a short termist view, but by avoiding the capital invesment and just paying the housing benefit the state is making significant short term savings. Once the finances of the UK are more stable I am sure you will see investment in housing. While finances are not stable the state is happy for that housing burden to be borne by the private sector. Arguably you can trace the problem back to Thatcher and the sale of council houses.

There's no doubt the Auld Whore is in the frame for this (and loadsa othe shit) but the notion that the Exchequer should fund amateur property 'tycoons' who've watched too much daytime 'be a landord' tv is just nonsensical.

The State is taking no risk at all."

you need to go look inside some council property that has been abused, stripped of cables and the rest then say no risk! You need to think that bit again as with problem tenants it costs more than you get in by far.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It comes down to available finance, if you run a company with limited resources you tend to lease rather than own machinery/property etc etc. It is no different for the govt today, it is more affordable today to meet the service charge than pay the upfront cost. It won't always be that way but for the time being housing (both for private and public rental markets) is being predominantly provided by the private sector with the "market" determining rents.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

No not at all however its cheaper to use private landlords as running council property is less efficient and costs more in many cases.

That's simply incorrect."

He he he you dont know much about costs do you? Nip to your local council and ask them. Then ask why they contracted the bins out, school meals, old folks care etc and you will see the bigger picture.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"..............There's no doubt the Auld Whore is in the frame for this (and loadsa othe shit) but the notion that the Exchequer should fund amateur property 'tycoons' who've watched too much daytime 'be a landord' tv is just nonsensical.

you need to go look inside some council property that has been abused, stripped of cables and the rest then say no risk! You need to think that bit again as with problem tenants it costs more than you get in by far. "

I hear this nonsense all the time.

If being a private landlord was such a crap way of making money, nobody would do it.

The evidence is to the contrary.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"..............There's no doubt the Auld Whore is in the frame for this (and loadsa othe shit) but the notion that the Exchequer should fund amateur property 'tycoons' who've watched too much daytime 'be a landord' tv is just nonsensical.

you need to go look inside some council property that has been abused, stripped of cables and the rest then say no risk! You need to think that bit again as with problem tenants it costs more than you get in by far.

If being a private landlord was such a crap way of making money, nobody would do it.

The evidence is to the contrary."

You see you missed the point by a mile again. Private landlords are more efficient, they end up with lower overheads ie less admin staff, workers being paid for what ever speed they go at etc. You only have to look at councils contracting out work rather than employing to get costs down.

The simple fact is private landlords run a leaner ship with less waste so can make a profit where the council struggles to break even.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The evidence is to the contrary."

The real yields are not as great as people think when you take into account repair and maintenance costs plus the aggro of having to deal with people! Most letting agents advice strongly against taking housing benefit clients for all of the reasons stated by other posters. That is not to say that everyone should be tarred with the same brush, but most landlords would normally go for a privately funded rather than state funded tennant.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

The real yields are not as great as people think when you take into account repair and maintenance costs plus the aggro of having to deal with people! Most letting agents advice strongly against taking housing benefit clients for all of the reasons stated by other posters. That is not to say that everyone should be tarred with the same brush, but most landlords would normally go for a privately funded rather than state funded tennant."

So what are the 'real' yields and what rate of return would you get elsewhere?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

That's simply incorrect.

He he he you dont know much about costs do you? Nip to your local council and ask them. Then ask why they contracted the bins out, school meals, old folks care etc and you will see the bigger picture. "

It isn't ACTUALLY cheaper, it comes out of a different cost centre and so looks good on one part of the books, the bottom line is usually it is costing you more.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Landlords invest in property to make money, be that with the rent to pay the morgage or the price of the house going up.

We rented before buying when we relocated....we were in it for nearly two years before we found what we wanted...no repairs were needed in the house in that whole time we were there and the rent was over £600 a month.

I think landlords do ok for themselves otherwise they wouldn't invest in the first place.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In London 4-5% would be typical before repair and maintenance for which you can probably knock off 1-2%. Of course you hope you may get capital appreciation over time but that is by no means certain. So 3-4% real yield, better than the bank but less than you might get investing your cash with Tesco's at the moment.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Landlords invest in property to make money, be that with the rent to pay the morgage or the price of the house going up."

or both!

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Landlords invest in property to make money, be that with the rent to pay the morgage or the price of the house going up.

or both!

"

And if it were a one way bet everyone would do it. But property prices do go down and interest rates do go up and that is why a lot of property companies come unstuck. And why the govt at present is happy to let the private sector take the "equity risk" today.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

The real yields are not as great as people think when you take into account repair and maintenance costs plus the aggro of having to deal with people! Most letting agents advice strongly against taking housing benefit clients for all of the reasons stated by other posters. That is not to say that everyone should be tarred with the same brush, but most landlords would normally go for a privately funded rather than state funded tennant.

So what are the 'real' yields and what rate of return would you get elsewhere?"

How long is a piece of string?

You don't know how hard your tenant will be on your property. Ok you have a bond but wear and tare you can't charge for and some are heavier than others.

The key factor is more to do with on how chap you can buy in the first place and if you can get something cheap and have people who can renovate quickly and work hard for a fair price also area is key to purchase price and rental.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Landlords invest in property to make money, be that with the rent to pay the morgage or the price of the house going up.

or both!

And if it were a one way bet everyone would do it. But property prices do go down and interest rates do go up and that is why a lot of property companies come unstuck. And why the govt at present is happy to let the private sector take the "equity risk" today."

They're not taking the 'equity risk', that's why the mansion tax is a bone of contention amongst the Con-Dem 'coalition.

Property resale prices do, indeed, go down in the short term but not over all.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

or both!

And if it were a one way bet everyone would do it. But property prices do go down and interest rates do go up and that is why a lot of property companies come unstuck. And why the govt at present is happy to let the private sector take the "equity risk" today."

Landlords must weigh up the risks and decide it is for them

Reply privately

over a year ago

or both!

And if it were a one way bet everyone would do it. But property prices do go down and interest rates do go up and that is why a lot of property companies come unstuck. And why the govt at present is happy to let the private sector take the "equity risk" today.

They're not taking the 'equity risk', that's why the mansion tax is a bone of contention amongst the Con-Dem 'coalition.

Property resale prices do, indeed, go down in the short term but not over all."

Who isn't taking equity risk? Any landlord whether it be a private individual or a council that has paid to buy a property has taken equity risk.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ..............

Who isn't taking equity risk? Any landlord whether it be a private individual or a council that has paid to buy a property has taken equity risk."

Property, over time (often a short time) has never been a risk, equity or otherwise.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

" ..............

Who isn't taking equity risk? Any landlord whether it be a private individual or a council that has paid to buy a property has taken equity risk.

Property, over time (often a short time) has never been a risk, equity or otherwise."

Thats not technically true...otherwise lots of people wouldn't be in negative equity.

Reply privately

over a year ago

" ..............

Property, over time (often a short time) has never been a risk, equity or otherwise."

Nonsense, look at the US, Ireland, the UK in the late 80's and a whole bunch of people today who find themselves in a negative equity situation. Over the long run property has had a pretty decent track record as long as you could afford to buy without a mortgage. Once you introduce debt into the equation it becomes a whole different story.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ..............

Property, over time (often a short time) has never been a risk, equity or otherwise.

Thats not technically true...otherwise lots of people wouldn't be in negative equity."

That's why I included the 'over time'.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ..............

Nonsense, look at the US, Ireland, the UK in the late 80's and a whole bunch of people today who find themselves in a negative equity situation. Over the long run property has had a pretty decent track record as long as you could afford to buy without a mortgage. Once you introduce debt into the equation it becomes a whole different story."

There's all sorts of other factors elsewhere. My concern is UK tenants.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Splitting hairs spring to mind.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Splitting hairs spring to mind."

Split hairs can be the difference between breaking even and milking the benefit system for all it can be worth.

Reply privately

over a year ago

" ..............

Nonsense, look at the US, Ireland, the UK in the late 80's and a whole bunch of people today who find themselves in a negative equity situation. Over the long run property has had a pretty decent track record as long as you could afford to buy without a mortgage. Once you introduce debt into the equation it becomes a whole different story.

There's all sorts of other factors elsewhere. My concern is UK tenants."

In what context?? The way it is presented you would have us believe that no one has lost money on property in the Uk in the recent past which is simply not true. There are huge numbers of UK homeowners in negative equity and a number of reckless landlords who took oversized mortgages and cannot service the debt on their portfolio. Property like any other asset class carries risk.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Splitting hairs spring to mind.

Split hairs can be the difference between breaking even and milking the benefit system for all it can be worth."

It can also be used to backtrack or change what was said/implied.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Splitting hairs spring to mind.

Split hairs can be the difference between breaking even and milking the benefit system for all it can be worth.

It can also be used to backtrack or change what was said/implied. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

it seems it will ...i worked and paid into the system for over 25 years , but had an accident , now on disability as i cant walk ..but most people call me a scrounger and a doley ...get sick of being tarred with the same brush !!!...yet i'm back at college training to be an accountant so i can work from home ...i DO NOT intend to stay on benefits

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

[Removed by poster at 22/02/13 01:44:51]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

Don't assume that everyone in receipt of council tax benefit is paying next to nothing. When I was out of work, I was entitled to no JSA (because it was 2nd spell unemployed within two tax years) and my wife was on 19K, but we still had to pay mortgage etc, and we got A WHOPPING 10% of our bill. That really helped a lot. So can I just say a big thanks to all our governments past present and future for being such a set of cunts. 20 odd years of tax and NI for fuck all. I want the central government, local government and civil service decimated. Lets see just how much tax we would have to pay then."

I haven't assumed, I'm going off my own personal circumstances of paying Nil towards my bill for the past 5 years.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Until this recent period of over a year or so i have worked all my life paid my dues etc but find it annoying when folk jump on the if on benefits must be scroungers band wagon.

Council tax benefit and others are in place to help folk in need otherwise mysekf and others would be homeless as despite what mps and press say surviving on jsa is a struggle.

To thos criticising folk claiming council tax etc i truly hope you never end up in position where you need help.

As for the 20% i agree some payment in these times of cutbacks in theory is a good thing however 20% hits my lack of income stream dramatically. Its not a whoa is me moan just stating facts as it affects me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I havent got a clue as yet on how it will effect me. ?

What with the f...ing bedroom tax and now this...why not an arsnic pill to all on benefits and get rid of the problem.....

I have worked since i was 15yrs old. fulltime and then full and part time when my son was little. No help re nurseries either. my old mom helped. Then back to full time when he was older. I have never signed on in all them years but now i CANT work due to ill health and if im honest. Im sick and fed up with being tarred with the same brush as the workshy and those who choose to try and re populate the world on their own.

Its bloody hard on benefits. i kid you not. i get enough to survive on. and yes i agree, it shouldnt be the same or more as those who work.

If someone has a magic wand and make my problems go away....i would be back at work tomorrow.

It aint gonna happen though. "

same here, got my first job at 13 on a market stall, worked every day even bringing my kids up. Its only the last year or two I haven't worked til now, due to health issues.. like you, if I could wave a wand, id be back at work as quick as a flash !!

Reply privately

By *lay 4 uMan
over a year ago

bolton

Try 150 per cent council tax all because I have a empty property I cannot sell still helps to keep council workers final salary pensions paid and people who do not want to work

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

"Try 150 per cent council tax all because I have a empty property I cannot sell still helps to keep council workers final salary pensions paid and people who do not want to work "

150%???

Is that the empty property and one your currently in, combined?

Reply privately

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Reply privately

over a year ago

ive gone from paying nothing to 100% of my council tax

also gone from £0 towards my rent to paying 80% of my rent.. still im glad to be back at work now and standing on my own two

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I do think its sad that people on here who get benefits feel as though they have to justify to others. Yes of cause their are scroungers thats the ones we here about in the papers, but i bet most people who get benefits get them for a good reason. Its noone elses business why you get them

Reply privately

over a year ago

"it seems it will ...i worked and paid into the system for over 25 years , but had an accident , now on disability as i cant walk ..but most people call me a scrounger and a doley ...get sick of being tarred with the same brush !!!...yet i'm back at college training to be an accountant so i can work from home ...i DO NOT intend to stay on benefits "

The welfare state is there for people like you. I just object to the communities that have generation after generation of claimants because that's become their way of life.

Reply privately

By *obsrocketMan
over a year ago

Loughborough

"IF people don't know about it already, it's worth looking into the Single Person Discount.

The Council Tax assumes that there's two adults living in a house.

If only one adult lives in the property (as their main home) the bill may be reduced by 25%.

Apply via your council.

You don't have to be on any sort of benefit to qualify.

"

Very good point and worth raising as not everyone knows about this. I live on my own and do qualify and just had to let my District Council know.

I am wondering though if the Govt might relaunch poll tax as a means to getting more tax from larger households. One of my neighbours has 4 adults living in a 2 bedroomed house that works out at about £25 a month each. As a single occupant I'm paying £75 a month, which Iam happy to pay for the services I get.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Deviant City

"I do think its sad that people on here who get benefits feel as though they have to justify to others. Yes of cause their are scroungers thats the ones we here about in the papers, but i bet most people who get benefits get them for a good reason. Its noone elses business why you get them"

Reply privately

By *ot30scoupleCouple
over a year ago

Oxford, London

"Try 150 per cent council tax all because I have a empty property I cannot sell still helps to keep council workers final salary pensions paid and people who do not want to work "

Such a sad story. It must be desperately hard for you, having two houses and all. Still, I agree; if only we decided not to pay teachers, and leave disabled people to their own devices, then the world might be a fairer place.

Reply privately

over a year ago

thankfully students are exempt from council tax. Yet another tax on the poor. The gov own statistics are:

Unpaid corporate tax 36 billion

Unclaimed benefits 16 million

Benefit fraud 1.6 million.

Do the maths

Reply privately

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

"thankfully students are exempt from council tax. Yet another tax on the poor. The gov own statistics are:

Unpaid corporate tax 36 billion

Unclaimed benefits 16 million

Benefit fraud 1.6 million

Do the maths"

.....woaoooo. 36 billions??? That could pay for the HS2 project straight away

Reply privately