Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

PS4/XBOX 720

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Seen a lot of speculation in the press about the next gen consoles being the last of their kind.

They seem to think people are switching to tablet and phone gaming more than consoles. Now while I feel this is true for simplistic games, ones that require lots of buttons to play, large graphic processing and power requirements will still be only playable on consoles or PC's.

I like the immersive feeling of sitting in front of a big telly playing games too, with the big sound. I just won't get that on a tablet, and as my eyesight fails in old age I definitely won't be able to play on a 4inch phone screen.

They console makers need to make it easier for smaller game studios to use their hardware as at the moment they are priced out. They also need to make new titles downloadable. I'm starting to see apps on my 360 now and they need to further that. I can use my android phone to access my 360 too which is a step in the right direction.

Any forum gamers with any comments? Who's buying what this Christmas, I'll stick with xbox as I swore I'd never go back to Sony after the ps2 release nightmare. By all accounts there won't be much between them this generation anyway. Only big game titles separate them.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

Is it too late to change the title of this thread to "what do you prefer shagging on, PS4 or XBOX 720?"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm with you on this one Jodie, I detest using tablet games. Uninspiring and far less immersive that a big screen equivalent, hook a Bose system to it as well.........outstanding.

Will I be buying the 4th gen consoles? Not sure, I suppose it depends on how much improvement there is visually and what titles are gonna be around. I've got the worst interweb connection ever here so can't really use the Live aspect so no sitting round in my pants and a headset screaming at the tv.

over a year ago

Got my Xbox hooked up to my 50" tv lol.....its awesome !

You can't put that against playing on a 4" phone, I can't wait for the 720 to come out its looking good for release this xmas.

I too switched from ps to xbox Jodie , I'd never go back now.

over a year ago

We have the Xbox and PS3, you should try the PS3 Jodie.

Even if lets say they don't release anymore, they will definitely be part of gaming in our house.

You can't play COD on a phone or tablet!

Also you won't get the same graphics.

For people that want handheld gaming there are plenty of options about.

Of course Microsoft and Sony have updated their machines to include apps, iplayer etc to keep themselves in the market.

I don't think after years of gaming, that it will ever subside, just the technology will enhance over the years.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"You can't play COD on a phone or tablet!"

I have COD Zombies on my iPhone and it plays well.

over a year ago

"You can't play COD on a phone or tablet!

I have COD Zombies on my iPhone and it plays well. "

No idea what that is

I shouldn't have mentioned COD as I don't actually play it! Knew I should have let M post..haha

over a year ago

I have COD Zombies on my iPhone and it plays well. "

But is it more fun and immersive as playing it on a large screen?

I honestly see no point in playing stuff like that on a titchy screen.

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I much preferred the Xbox 360 over the ps3 apart from the bulky controllers. I've only got diddy hands. Lol.

I've not played anything for a while as the console left with my ex but I can't imagine playing my all time favourite game oblivion on a tablet or phone!

Dunno if they've improved their server issues but ps3 online gaming was terrible compared to Xbox as well. X

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

I honestly see no point in playing stuff like that on a titchy screen."

I'm not a big player tbh and COD on the iPhone is just a subset of levels (just the Zombie levels). I agree It is no where near the same experience as playing on a console version.

As for the consoles the Xbox desperately needs an update. The PS to a lesser extent. They are both vastly underpowered for today's technology and are actually holding back game development. The Xbox has 500MB's of RAM!!! LOL it's like a computer from 2005!

over a year ago

I'm not a big player tbh and COD on the iPhone is just a subset of levels (just the Zombie levels). I agree It is no where near the same experience as playing on a console version.

As for the consoles the Xbox desperately needs an update. The PS to a lesser extent. They are both vastly underpowered for today's technology and are actually holding back game development. The Xbox has 500MB's of RAM!!! LOL it's like a computer from 2005!"

For me, consoles provide a different gaming experience from tablets and smartphones. Console gaming is about the big-screen experience, with a proper controller with tactile feedback.

I use my iPad and phone to play smaller games, not cut-down versions of console titles, because I find that they don't transfer well to touchscreens.

The PS3 and 360 are pretty well equal in terms of performance, and there's not much to choose between them. Consoles don't need the same amount of RAM as PCs - they have a much more efficient operating system.

The 360 *is* a computer from 2005. Both consoles have lasted well, and the current generation has been the most stable for some time.

M

over a year ago

Don't like the idea of gaming on a phone or tablet it's not at all like playing on a 50" or 40" monitor.

over a year ago

Hardware requirements are apparently a big issue. There has been talk that the new consoles may have modular upgrades, so that you can upgrade ram or graphics in the future, I doubt it myself as then you're just back to PC gaming.

I used to do a lot of that back in the early 2000's but became sick of having to upgrade every year. Developers for pc games used to make them for whatever the minimum spec for PC's was likely to be NEXT year. So unless you were prepared to buy all the top end stuff you were constantly running everything at minimum resolution. So I thought why not go back to consoles? (after a few years break) Never want to go back to pc's now.

Have tried my friends PS3 and found it was pretty much the same as xbox, graphically slicker but that's all. There was no game that inspired me to change though. Nothing that made me think "I'd buy one of these just to play that". I'm happy to stick with xbox purely for the Halo franchise, I'm hooked on it.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

As for the consoles the Xbox desperately needs an update. The PS to a lesser extent. They are both vastly underpowered for today's technology and are actually holding back game development. The Xbox has 500MB's of RAM!!! LOL it's like a computer from 2005!

For me, consoles provide a different gaming experience from tablets and smartphones. Console gaming is about the big-screen experience, with a proper controller with tactile feedback.

I use my iPad and phone to play smaller games, not cut-down versions of console titles, because I find that they don't transfer well to touchscreens.

The PS3 and 360 are pretty well equal in terms of performance, and there's not much to choose between them. Consoles don't need the same amount of RAM as PCs - they have a much more efficient operating system.

The 360 *is* a computer from 2005. Both consoles have lasted well, and the current generation has been the most stable for some time.

M

"

Yes I agree there is less need for raw power in a closed system like a games console. You just need to look at an iPhone, another closed system, they have much less raw power than the the latest Android phones yet run way smoother in my experience because of less overheads that a closed system provides. Both games consoles are long in the tooth now though, no matter how stable they are. I work in the games industry and right now the gap between what we are capable of doing with a game and what we are able to do because of the technical limitations of the Xbox and PS is massive.

over a year ago

My Xbox is on all day fir movies music and games. If they was to install flash allowing you to watch live tv and stream on explorer then id happily ditch my tv provider. I see the 720 going in this direction. One box does all with kinect built in. I presume will lose discs and will be solely downloadable content using SkyDrive for storage.

over a year ago

I wouldnt say that the new playstation and xbox are really in direct competition with tablets as i think they cater for different audiences. Xbox and playstation tend to cater to existing gamers, whereas tablet games often appeal to those who might not buy consoles or dont buy many games. Its this audience that nintendo appealed to with the wii and ds.

nintendo then, will be taking a real hit on the wiiu and 3ds as many casual gamers will be opting for tablet and mobile gaming ahead of these.

over a year ago

M

Yes I agree there is less need for raw power in a closed system like a games console. You just need to look at an iPhone, another closed system, they have much less raw power than the the latest Android phones yet run way smoother in my experience because of less overheads that a closed system provides. Both games consoles are long in the tooth now though, no matter how stable they are. I work in the games industry and right now the gap between what we are capable of doing with a game and what we are able to do because of the technical limitations of the Xbox and PS is massive."

PCs are always going to surpass consoles in performance, but the current generation has lasted well and developers are still squeezing more out of them. Still can't wait for the next gen though!

M

over a year ago

I prefer the 360 as the controller is far better, you're not forced to download a game to the hdd before you play it.

As for the next machines, I won't buy any until a year after. I'll more than likely get the next Xbox (thank god it'll not be called the 720). Well, if it's online only like the rumours suggest, then I won't get it. I don't have a net connection at my house.

One thing I am happy about is the addition of blu-ray on the next Xbox. Can finally see what all the fuss is can t.

Oh dear,looks like the pc master race are here. Can I just make one point? Graphics DO NOT make a good game.

The only good thing about pc games, to me, is the mods..I don't care about graphics or frame rate etc. I just want a good story, insane action, something new I've never seen/done before.

over a year ago

Being a massive gamer myself I might as well add to this.

I will say I am firmly in the pc camp. There is something about a mouse and keyboard that to me is so much better for a lot of games. For those games that are better played with a controller then you just plug your Xbox controller in and off you go. The ability to do everything else on there as well just as easily is a deal breaker.

I can however see why people don't like PCs or prefer consoles, the simple thing of going out and buying a game and knowing it will work.

If upgrading your computer system and keeping up to date with hardware doesn't interest you then if you are able to splashing out an a top end gaming system then your get a good 4/6 years out of it before the next upgrade. Being 22, full time job and still living with parents rent free I've never found this an issue. (And the parents wonder why they can't get rid of me)

Post new Message to Thread