Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

When in Rome....

Jump to newest

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

do as the Romans!

Discussing this with a friend earlier... how true and appropriate is this in today's world? Just as one example I am referring to is when I see my (strict Muslim) friends who neither serve or drink alcohol or eat meat which is not kosher. Who should adapt to whom? Should both meet half way?

I am interested in people's views?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"do as the Romans!

Discussing this with a friend earlier... how true and appropriate is this in today's world? Just as one example I am referring to is when I see my (strict Muslim) friends who neither serve or drink alcohol or eat meat which is not kosher. Who should adapt to whom? Should both meet half way?

I am interested in people's views? "

I think its about respecting each others differences. If you ate at their homes, you would be aware they dont do drink or meat or whatever ...and go with the flow..as long as when they eat at yours...they are aware you may hit the wine and nosh on a steak....

compromise

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"do as the Romans!

I am interested in people's views?

I think its about respecting each others differences. If you ate at their homes, you would be aware they dont do drink or meat or whatever ...and go with the flow..as long as when they eat at yours...they are aware you may hit the wine and nosh on a steak....

compromise "

When I am at their place I eat what they offer me with some exceptions ie I dont eat lamb. I am happy not to have alcohol with the food. When they come to me I buy kosher meat (or vegetarian) and I dont serve alcohol as they are my friends and I would not wish to offend them.

By *rsIdiotWoman
over a year ago

Bedworth

If they are Muslim you should buy halal meat for when they visit not kosher.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"If they are Muslim you should buy halal meat for when they visit not kosher. "
They did specifically ask for "kosher" and referred to meat (I think it was discussed in another thread) that was killed in a particular way. Now I do not know enough about this - clearly and they seemed happy (they took me shopping to a place where the meat was ok so I could buy it).

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

No I don't think they should eat traditional British food because they live in this country, British ex-pats who live in other parts of the world don't all blend in with local traditions and eat local food.

If people of different religions choose not to eat certain foods because of their religious beliefs then that's up to them.

over a year ago

Strict Muslim friends, kosher meat?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Ive never gotten over the mother rabbit and her baby rabbits at my sons primary school.

My son went to full time nursery in leicester, it was attatched to the main primary school, in the whole of the nursery and school my son was the only white non indian/pakistani child there.

When you walked in there was a massive mother rabbit on the wall like a beatrix potter rabbit with six babies around her, each of the babies had an asian name. Now my argument was, at least one of the rabbits should of had an english name as we live in england. I had no problem with my son joining in their celebrations or being taught about their culture as to me it was good teaching for him. But these rabbits used to piss me off as it made me feel that although yes my son was in the minority we still where in his homeland, even if the children where second or third generation, english is still our first language

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

have Indian friends who have some customs that are totally different to what we are used to, but very much like yourself, when at their house we adjust to fit into their ways and try our best with staying inline with customs that they have and the guy came to live with us when his wife chose to go back to India to have her baby .. it was, all in all, a fantastic experience exchanging different ways of cooking and lifestyles etc

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Its up to them.. As long as their beliefs and morals are not shoved in my face then who am I to question what they eat or drink. I respect that there are certain things they practise.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Strict Muslim friends, kosher meat?

.........."

I think she means halal, there are both halal and kosher butchers so she may have been mistaken....it happens

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

.........."

That is what they called it - is that not the right term?

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I think she means halal, there are both halal and kosher butchers so she may have been mistaken....it happens"

Ah ok, I understand now there is a confusion over the term. Perhaps my friend used "kosher" to explain to me what it was about. I ll ask her next time.

over a year ago

I don't see the relevance of religion. It's just good manners, I have veggie friends and I would never expect to be served meat at there's and I happily cook them veggie food at mine. Eating out, then somewhere with a decent veggie choice.

If you are cooking for somone that has dietry needs, be they ethical, medical or religion why would anyone not accomodate them?

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

go halal babe. just respect your muslim friend and appreciate any nods to making non muslim allowances

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Once did "The Mile" (a pub crawl in Derby) dressed in only a sheet & sandals

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Ive never gotten over the mother rabbit and her baby rabbits at my sons primary school.

My son went to full time nursery in leicester, it was attatched to the main primary school, in the whole of the nursery and school my son was the only white non indian/pakistani child there.

When you walked in there was a massive mother rabbit on the wall like a beatrix potter rabbit with six babies around her, each of the babies had an asian name. Now my argument was, at least one of the rabbits should of had an english name as we live in england. I had no problem with my son joining in their celebrations or being taught about their culture as to me it was good teaching for him. But these rabbits used to piss me off as it made me feel that although yes my son was in the minority we still where in his homeland, even if the children where second or third generation, english is still our first language"

I can understand where you are coming from. There is a difference in being in somebody's home and being ina public educational facility like a school. I dont know what the right answer is and I have always encouraged my children to not only accept as different but also to celebrate diversity but I hear what you are saying about the enveloping culture being at risk of being neglected.

over a year ago

But you see, the compromise is one sided therefore not a compromise.

You respect them as veggies and thats what you have there. yet you will then cook them veggie .......what about your needs / likes. they are being ignored.

over a year ago

You must give respect, in order to earn it. Them as well as us

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I don't see the relevance of religion. It's just good manners, I have veggie friends and I would never expect to be served meat at there's and I happily cook them veggie food at mine. Eating out, then somewhere with a decent veggie choice.

If you are cooking for somone that has dietry needs, be they ethical, medical or religion why would anyone not accomodate them?

"

I agree and I only used this as an example. I could have used another friend's example who is vegetarian.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"go halal babe. just respect your muslim friend and appreciate any nods to making non muslim allowances "
Thank you

over a year ago

"Ive never gotten over the mother rabbit and her baby rabbits at my sons primary school.

When you walked in there was a massive mother rabbit on the wall like a beatrix potter rabbit with six babies around her, each of the babies had an asian name. Now my argument was, at least one of the rabbits should of had an english name as we live in england. I had no problem with my son joining in their celebrations or being taught about their culture as to me it was good teaching for him. But these rabbits used to piss me off as it made me feel that although yes my son was in the minority we still where in his homeland, even if the children where second or third generation, english is still our first language"

I see your point but were the asian children not in their homeland too?

If the children were 2nd or 4rd generation the liklihood is that English was their first language too, what has their names got to do with anything?

over a year ago

I think she means halal, there are both halal and kosher butchers so she may have been mistaken....it happensAh ok, I understand now there is a confusion over the term. Perhaps my friend used "kosher" to explain to me what it was about. I ll ask her next time."

kosher are foods that conform to jewish dietary laws, and halal is food in accordance with islamic law. reminds me of an episode of the apprentice when someone claiming to be a 'good jewish boy' on his cv bought halal when he was supposed to get kosher meat as part of a task

over a year ago

"But you see, the compromise is one sided therefore not a compromise.

You respect them as veggies and thats what you have there. yet you will then cook them veggie .......what about your needs / likes. they are being ignored. "

How are my needs being ignored? What harm is a veggie meal to me? I can still eat and enjoy it?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

When I lived and worked in London I had close friends from various ethnic backgrounds who practised various religions, I don't think we ever offended them when we hosted dinner at ours as we were careful to adjust to their dietary needs and beliefs....it just took a little thought.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"But you see, the compromise is one sided therefore not a compromise.

You respect them as veggies and thats what you have there. yet you will then cook them veggie .......what about your needs / likes. they are being ignored. "

In my own case I am not bothered as I would either serve something we can all eat or I would do different dishes (I frequently do to accommodate all the different likes and dislikes within my family lol)

over a year ago

What I love about this country is that for the most part we are very multi-cultural, we have a wonderfully diverse society and we can all learn from each other. I enjoy learning about other religions, cultures, festivals etc and love to be a guest at Jewish, Hindu, Muslim homes etc.

And to quote a Muslime friend - "the best thing about a Muslim wedding is trying to find out who has the stash of booze in the back of the car"! I guess we all can learn from each other.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I think she means halal, there are both halal and kosher butchers so she may have been mistaken....it happensAh ok, I understand now there is a confusion over the term. Perhaps my friend used "kosher" to explain to me what it was about. I ll ask her next time.

kosher are foods that conform to jewish dietary laws, and halal is food in accordance with islamic law. reminds me of an episode of the apprentice when someone claiming to be a 'good jewish boy' on his cv bought halal when he was supposed to get kosher meat as part of a task"

Right, the problem was in the term "kosher" - she used it because she thought that I would understand that as being meat not from my local butcher. She meant halal by the sound of it.

over a year ago

One xmas some yrs ago, i was having folk round for the big xmas dinner but ended up having one more.

Who was my mates new turkish husband...No one knew he was comming over as he had kept it a suprise. All i could do was serve him a xmas dinner, explaining what everything was.

He said later in the day "that dinner was shit"

Now i know my dinners aint shit and was highly offended and my mate is making excuses , saying hes not used to our fod etc.

I just turned round, gave him his coat and said "thats the last shit you will be getting here" and showed him the door. she was mortified.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

When you walked in there was a massive mother rabbit on the wall like a beatrix potter rabbit with six babies around her, each of the babies had an asian name. Now my argument was, at least one of the rabbits should of had an english name as we live in england. I had no problem with my son joining in their celebrations or being taught about their culture as to me it was good teaching for him. But these rabbits used to piss me off as it made me feel that although yes my son was in the minority we still where in his homeland, even if the children where second or third generation, english is still our first language

If the children were 2nd or 4rd generation the liklihood is that English was their first language too, what has their names got to do with anything?"

Yes they where in their homeland thats why i said 2nd or 3rd generation but the names these rabbits had where not english names and as english is our first language i would have expected one to have at least an english name as not to dislude anyone, i would also have expected that if the school was 50/50 that it would be half and half, maybe im not putting myself across very well

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"What I love about this country is that for the most part we are very multi-cultural, we have a wonderfully diverse society and we can all learn from each other. I enjoy learning about other religions, cultures, festivals etc and love to be a guest at Jewish, Hindu, Muslim homes etc.

And to quote a Muslime friend - "the best thing about a Muslim wedding is trying to find out who has the stash of booze in the back of the car"! I guess we all can learn from each other. "

Whata superb post - one of my children went to a Diwali celebration last year and was quite overwhelmed by the experience.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"One xmas some yrs ago, i was having folk round for the big xmas dinner but ended up having one more.

Who was my mates new turkish husband...No one knew he was comming over as he had kept it a suprise. All i could do was serve him a xmas dinner, explaining what everything was.

Now i know my dinners aint shit and was highly offended and my mate is making excuses , saying hes not used to our fod etc.

I just turned round, gave him his coat and said "thats the last shit you will be getting here" and showed him the door. she was mortified. "

So would you have reacted any differently if one of your British born guests has declared that your dinner was shit?

over a year ago

"One xmas some yrs ago, i was having folk round for the big xmas dinner but ended up having one more.

I just turned round, gave him his coat and said "thats the last shit you will be getting here" and showed him the door. she was mortified.

So would you have reacted any differently if one of your British born guests has declared that your dinner was shit?

"

Nope........i would have reacted the same way. He wanted turkish food without any forethought to who was gonna buy it and prepare it. If i had known i may have been able to do it. I objected to his basic lack of good manners

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"What harm is a veggie meal to me? I can still eat and enjoy it?"

Ratatouille is wonderful with pasta twirls

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"What I love about this country is that for the most part we are very multi-cultural, we have a wonderfully diverse society and we can all learn from each other. I enjoy learning about other religions, cultures, festivals etc and love to be a guest at Jewish, Hindu, Muslim homes etc.

And to quote a Muslime friend - "the best thing about a Muslim wedding is trying to find out who has the stash of booze in the back of the car"! I guess we all can learn from each other. Whata superb post - one of my children went to a Diwali celebration last year and was quite overwhelmed by the experience. "

Diwali is one of my favoutie celebrations i lived right in the middle of the biggest diwali celebrations outside india, all the children used to come and show us themselves dressed up in all there best clothes and we used to go to the temple place and watch them do the dancing. We used to celebrate along with them and they treated us just the same as one of them except the shop keepers used to really spoil my son cause he was a blonde haired blue eyed boy

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I don't see the relevance of religion. It's just good manners, I have veggie friends and I would never expect to be served meat at there's and I happily cook them veggie food at mine. Eating out, then somewhere with a decent veggie choice.

"

Indeed!

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

I recall a recent holiday muself and my partner took in Spain. We for some reason engaged early in the holiday with a huge Spanish family. Each day we would engage in the polite 'Good Mornings' etc but it soon became apparent that our grasp of Spanish and theirs of English was somewhat limited beyond the polite exchanges .. We did however regardless manage to spend the whole week together in what was one of the friendliest and fun gatherings regardless of the language barriers and all exchanged gifts on our departure date

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

If the children were 2nd or 4rd generation the liklihood is that English was their first language too, what has their names got to do with anything?

Yes they where in their homeland thats why i said 2nd or 3rd generation but the names these rabbits had where not english names and as english is our first language i would have expected one to have at least an english name as not to dislude anyone, i would also have expected that if the school was 50/50 that it would be half and half, maybe im not putting myself across very well"

You are: I knew what you meant and I agree with you.

At my daughters' school every religous festival was celebrated bar Easter and Christmas it seemed. They knew more about Kwanzaa than the nativity!

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

Don't forget, many "English" names are hebrew by origin and therefore African or Asian, depending on where you believe the Jews originally came from.

Think of "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John" for a start - all yiddish words/names.

By *give2uMan
over a year ago

Oswaldtwistle

Everyone should be free to do or eat what they want in their own home. BUT -

Why should Non-Muslims have to eat Halal meat? If I go to KFC or McDonalds in Blackburn, their product is Halal. It looks as though Muslims have a choice but we don't.

As a Christian,I quite often visit Muslim countries & I abide by their traditions & laws (you have too anyway or you would be locked up). I firmly believe that the same should happen in a Christian Country. - When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"

As a Christian,I quite often visit Muslim countries & I abide by their traditions & laws (you have too anyway or you would be locked up). I firmly believe that the same should happen in a Christian Country. - When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

I agree fully, but Rome wasn't built in a day

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"do as the Romans!

My ex husband was Muslim. I never converted yet his family accepted me instantly and I was always welcome to them - I still am even though we have been divorced now for 4 years. They have been more than happy to meet me half way - and even more. And, likewise, I have also done what I can to accommodate them. When I have cooked meals for them I have always ensured that it was halal.

If people simply just learn to accept others, regardless of their lifestyles/beliefs, etc, then there are no problems. Being open and talking about differences helps too - then misunderstandings are easy to deal with.

For example, you should always take off your shoes as you enter a Muslim house. Why? Many families often eat sat on the floor (using some kind of mat or table cloth) so you would be walking your outdoor shoes over their dining table in effect. Also, they pray on the floor. That's the same as putting your muddy boot all over the pews in a church.

Respect does not take a great deal of effort.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

I think she means halal, there are both halal and kosher butchers so she may have been mistaken....it happens"

Muslims can eat kosher. It is meat which is not kosher or halal which is considered haram (forbidden).

Fish is always halal.

over a year ago

"Everyone should be free to do or eat what they want in their own home. BUT -

Why should Non-Muslims have to eat Halal meat? If I go to KFC or McDonalds in Blackburn, their product is Halal. It looks as though Muslims have a choice but we don't.

As a Christian,I quite often visit Muslim countries & I abide by their traditions & laws (you have too anyway or you would be locked up). I firmly believe that the same should happen in a Christian Country. - When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

I tend to take the expression as meaning if you visit somewhere else, its good fun and beneficial to explore their culture, ideas, lifestyle and food, but wouldnt necessarily say it should apply to people conforming to lifestyles that confilct with their religious beliefs.

As for your KFC, mcdonalds comment, thats just economics. They know that in these areas, they will get more customers if the food is halal.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

I think she means halal, there are both halal and kosher butchers so she may have been mistaken....it happens

Muslims can eat kosher. It is meat which is not kosher or halal which is considered haram (forbidden).

Fish is always halal."

...but jews don't eat halal as it does not conform to kosher law.

In Israel, McDonalds is kosher.

over a year ago

"

In Israel, McDonalds is kosher."

no cheeseburgers

wouldnt be worth going to

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Fish is always halal.

...but jews don't eat halal as it does not conform to kosher law.

In Israel, McDonalds is kosher."

I never said Jews did eat halal! My point was that kosher is acceptable to Muslims (or at least to the Muslims I know).

over a year ago

I think we are are all different irrespective of where we from come or what we believe in. I have Muslim friends who have no problem with me having a glass of wine or a pint of beer or eating whatever i like, even though they don't consume those things themselves. As for me I will eat my food their food or anybody's food just put it in front of me.

As an individual we should be free to eat and drink whatever we like.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

For example, you should always take off your shoes as you enter a Muslim house. Why? Many families often eat sat on the floor (using some kind of mat or table cloth) so you would be walking your outdoor shoes over their dining table in effect. Also, they pray on the floor. That's the same as putting your muddy boot all over the pews in a church.

Respect does not take a great deal of effort."

I quite agree and tbh visitors to my home are expected to take their shoes off - not for religious reason but when considering what we walk through outside the home... I dont want some of that in my home. Likewise I take my shoes off when I visit friends.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"

Respect does not take a great deal of effort.I quite agree and tbh visitors to my home are expected to take their shoes off - not for religious reason but when considering what we walk through outside the home... I dont want some of that in my home. Likewise I take my shoes off when I visit friends. "

Same in my house! Especially since I just carpeted the whole house in very very pale colours!

My ex-inlaws are happy to provide you with slippers as you enter. And they never need to be told to remove shoes when they enter my house - it is just automatic.

over a year ago

I find it refreshing to meet with friends who don't need to drink to have fun. As for the halal meat, try it, the quality and, often enough, the price is better.

I think we need to be flexible. All things in moderation - except chocolate and sex.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"I find it refreshing to meet with friends who don't need to drink to have fun. As for the halal meat, try it, the quality and, often enough, the price is better.

I think we need to be flexible. All things in moderation - except chocolate and sex. "

A family member of mine said she would never eat halal as she didn't like the taste! I asked her what she meant and she said that 'what they did with it made it taste funny'. She actually did not know what it was and thought they 'added' something to it. I pointed out that it was really no different to kosher and that she had probably eaten loads of halal when she went for a curry. Her prejudice against it was due to her ignorance of what it was - she was quite happy to be 'educated' by my hubby at the time and had no problem with it after that.

Personally, though I often did not like to go to some of my local halal butchers as they knew nothing about cuts of meat and some were dirty. Even hubby and his family would not shop in them. Took me a while to find a suitable one.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"do as the Romans!

If they do not effect me or try and force their views on me I work on the live and let live rule.

Someone once told me no one should comment on anyone's religion until you have read their holy book

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Was thinking, slightly off the topic that when going on holiday to another country I would probably try most things (with the exception that I am very fussy with meat and only eat certain cuts of certain animals) but in terms of different spices and flavourings I really love trying new things. I have seen people go on holidays and expecting to find food they are used to from home... not any particular nationality, I have seen it across the board and it always makes me think how much they miss out.

Post new Message to Thread