Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Britain, India and China

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Universities are complaining the overseas student numbers are down. Indians are saying they don't feel that they would be welcome to visit here, study or work here.

Cameron is busy drumming up trade links with India.

Chinese people have to go through many hoops to visit this country and spend their money here. They are managing to spend money here with a very large department store accepting Yen.

Business colleagues tell me they feel that the government is sending out mixed messages that are hampering growth with the immigration message impacting on the trade/work/study with us message.

What do you think?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Listening to the news last night I must confess I felt there was a bit of a mixed message in that respect but also a clear one that India will be the prime port of call in many ways for the foreseeable future and I was wondering whether he was giving a message to Europe by doing so?

over a year ago

"Listening to the news last night I must confess I felt there was a bit of a mixed message in that respect but also a clear one that India will be the prime port of call in many ways for the foreseeable future and I was wondering whether he was giving a message to Europe by doing so?"

Europe is still our biggest market and he may well be trying to tell them something but when universities are already saying that their revenues are down because of the message we are sending around the world it may be too late. Interestingly, it seems Indians are choosing universities in Europe now.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Whilst half-asleep this am I heard someone on Today insist Belgium exports more to India than the UK does.

Given the difference in the UK and Belgian aid budgets to India, that's just wrong.

over a year ago

"Whilst half-asleep this am I heard someone on Today insist Belgium exports more to India than the UK does.

Given the difference in the UK and Belgian aid budgets to India, that's just wrong."

I hadn't heard that. I'd like to know what Belgium is exporting to India.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

......... Interestingly, it seems Indians are choosing universities in Europe now."

That may be a language thing. Lots of Indian folk, especially those contemplating tertiary education, already have a goodish grasp of English so it might make commercial sense to look to a German or Spanish university.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Out of Europe and rebuild the Empire!!!

I blame coffee!

Ban coffee and get everyone drinking tea, annex India as the British Raj once more and get the Chinese hooked on opium so we can steal all their tea!

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Brazil, Russia, India and China are all going to become very important soon so time to start being nice to them all!

over a year ago

"Brazil, Russia, India and China are all going to become very important soon so time to start being nice to them all!"

I think the BRIC contingent have already become important. When Ken Livingstone set up offices in China and India he was slated for doing it but it served a purpose.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Whilst half-asleep this am I heard someone on Today insist Belgium exports more to India than the UK does.

Given the difference in the UK and Belgian aid budgets to India, that's just wrong.

I hadn't heard that. I'd like to know what Belgium is exporting to India."

Much of the value seems to be in gemstones.

over a year ago

"Out of Europe and rebuild the Empire!!!

I blame coffee!

Ban coffee and get everyone drinking tea, annex India as the British Raj once more and get the Chinese hooked on opium so we can steal all their tea!"

They may be wise to that one this time around.

over a year ago

I hadn't heard that. I'd like to know what Belgium is exporting to India.

Much of the value seems to be in gemstones."

Interesting. Thank you.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

......... Interestingly, it seems Indians are choosing universities in Europe now.

That may be a language thing. Lots of Indian folk, especially those contemplating tertiary education, already have a goodish grasp of English so it might make commercial sense to look to a German or Spanish university."

The other thing is that university fees are nominal in Germany ie something like £100 per term or even year (not sure about Spain) So that would make it attractive I guess.

over a year ago

Im ok with students etc but a bit suss when it comes to importing .

A lot in india still work in places that are no better than slave camps.

So i think anyone importing should be well vetted

By *uncpl2015Couple
over a year ago

Bridgend Area

I hadn't heard that. I'd like to know what Belgium is exporting to India."

They can't be exporting as many jobs as the UK are too India

over a year ago

£100 per term in Germany £9000 per year in UK.

You live in a third world country and have little spare money.

Wonder which country we should send little Raj to for his education????

Maybe DC & Nick aint as smart as they like to think they are

over a year ago

Op its just a chaotic argument really,

in entirety, its about people believing we are being bled dry by foreigners..those that come and work for cheap pay and those that come to claim benefit

and forgive me if I'm wrong..but even work that goes abroad (telephone stuff etc)..the workers are deemed as possibly more hardworking,less likely to be sick,cost companies in claims of injury etc

basically because they have a harder life scenario and add that with huge populations, they will work for survival and not so much for getting that new car or telly

over a year ago

"Op its just a chaotic argument really,

in entirety, its about people believing we are being bled dry by foreigners..those that come and work for cheap pay and those that come to claim benefit

and forgive me if I'm wrong..but even work that goes abroad (telephone stuff etc)..the workers are deemed as possibly more hardworking,less likely to be sick,cost companies in claims of injury etc

basically because they have a harder life scenario and add that with huge populations, they will work for survival and not so much for getting that new car or telly"

And thats why they are not coming to the UK for University Education ????

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I dunno, it's all double dutch to me

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

International jobs. From the BBC website.

"One of Scotland's biggest call centre employers, HEROtsc, has been sold by its Indian owner to a French company."

Just how does any of the above make HEROtsc Scottish?

over a year ago

"Op its just a chaotic argument really,

basically because they have a harder life scenario and add that with huge populations, they will work for survival and not so much for getting that new car or telly

And thats why they are not coming to the UK for University Education ???? "

Op quote: Universities are complaining the overseas student numbers are down. Indians are saying they don't feel that they would be welcome to visit here, study or work here.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Listening to the news last night I must confess I felt there was a bit of a mixed message in that respect but also a clear one that India will be the prime port of call in many ways for the foreseeable future and I was wondering whether he was giving a message to Europe by doing so?

Europe is still our biggest market and he may well be trying to tell them something but when universities are already saying that their revenues are down because of the message we are sending around the world it may be too late. Interestingly, it seems Indians are choosing universities in Europe now."

My daughter worked as an international officer for a London university travelling the world encouraging foreign students to study in British unis. She said it didn't use to be a hard sell but foreign students don't want to study in Britain now as they didn't feel welcome.

over a year ago

BBC news reporter just ended his piece with "India is not quite Britains choice of partner. At least not just yet."

It looks like Cameron hasn't clarified his message to India yet.

over a year ago

"Brazil, Russia, India and China are all going to become very important soon so time to start being nice to them all!"

Allegiances change. The UK Govts will jump into bed with whoever gives us the best deals on energy, trade, investment etc. usually they are a few years behind the trends & always seem to cock it up - none moreso than Cameron who is like an excited puppy going "Where's the ball, where's the ball?" He hasn't a clue & if this is seriously the best politician we have we're all in big shit! We're so blinded by what other countries can be doing for us rather than start with looking at what we could be doing for ourselves on energy, education, resources, health etc. to answer the question tho... Cameron hasn't a clue what message to send other than try to appeal to the broadest audience he can.

over a year ago

"Im ok with students etc but a bit suss when it comes to importing .

A lot in india still work in places that are no better than slave camps.

So i think anyone importing should be well vetted "

Sure you don't use any of the smart phones then? Like Samsung, iPhone, Nokia and the list goes on. Simply because they have factories in China for mass production where people work under slavery conditions.

over a year ago

As an international student who paid £12,000 for a one year Masters (MSc). While a student, one has right to 20hrs and no claim to public funds but paying tax. Employers wouldn't offer any reasonable employment since the 20hrs would often be cut into by lectures or practical classes (meaning your 20hrs often come in as 2-3-4 hours here and there).

After MSc as an international student, you'd be given 2yrs working visa to gain experience before going back or if one wants to stay should show that they've got a job that pays £50,000 per year (I can imagine many people on here are on such wages or salaries ).

Where people get the idea that immigrants claim benefits baffles me. If someone knows how that is possible, I'd be very interested in knowing how it's sorted

At present, international students no longer have the right to the normal 20hrs employment. And they get 28 days to leave the country immediately after graduation.

Would you as a parent pay a cash sum of £12,000 excluding leaving expense (rent, bills, transport and all that) only to have them thrown out after 28 days of finishing their final exams? Then pay another visa fees when they have their graduation?

The popular story is every immigrant is illegal and claiming benefits. So the real story is often unheard. We all are victims of the single story syndrome. Once it's repeated over and over it starts competing with facts, and then in time overtakes facts in popularity.

over a year ago

"As an international student who paid £12,000 for a one year Masters (MSc). While a student, one has right to 20hrs and no claim to public funds but paying tax. Employers wouldn't offer any reasonable employment since the 20hrs would often be cut into by lectures or practical classes (meaning your 20hrs often come in as 2-3-4 hours here and there).

After MSc as an international student, you'd be given 2yrs working visa to gain experience before going back or if one wants to stay should show that they've got a job that pays £50,000 per year (I can imagine many people on here are on such wages or salaries ).

Where people get the idea that immigrants claim benefits baffles me. If someone knows how that is possible, I'd be very interested in knowing how it's sorted

At present, international students no longer have the right to the normal 20hrs employment. And they get 28 days to leave the country immediately after graduation.

Would you as a parent pay a cash sum of £12,000 excluding leaving expense (rent, bills, transport and all that) only to have them thrown out after 28 days of finishing their final exams? Then pay another visa fees when they have their graduation?

The popular story is every immigrant is illegal and claiming benefits. So the real story is often unheard. We all are victims of the single story syndrome. Once it's repeated over and over it starts competing with facts, and then in time overtakes facts in popularity."

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"As an international student who paid £12,000 for a one year Masters (MSc). While a student, one has right to 20hrs and no claim to public funds but paying tax. Employers wouldn't offer any reasonable employment since the 20hrs would often be cut into by lectures or practical classes (meaning your 20hrs often come in as 2-3-4 hours here and there).

The popular story is every immigrant is illegal and claiming benefits. So the real story is often unheard. We all are victims of the single story syndrome. Once it's repeated over and over it starts competing with facts, and then in time overtakes facts in popularity."

over a year ago

"The popular story is every immigrant is illegal and claiming benefits. So the real story is often unheard. We all are victims of the single story syndrome. Once it's repeated over and over it starts competing with facts, and then in time overtakes facts in popularity."

Too true. The economic contribution is what we are losing now. Your £12k in fees plus another £5-15k on living expenses and any tax you pay.

There is project called British Futures which is trying to change the press narrative on migrants, ethnic minorities and those visiting the country to study and work.

over a year ago

"The popular story is every immigrant is illegal and claiming benefits. So the real story is often unheard. We all are victims of the single story syndrome. Once it's repeated over and over it starts competing with facts, and then in time overtakes facts in popularity.

Too true. The economic contribution is what we are losing now. Your £12k in fees plus another £5-15k on living expenses and any tax you pay.

There is project called British Futures which is trying to change the press narrative on migrants, ethnic minorities and those visiting the country to study and work."

I'd wait to see how that unfolds...

Post new Message to Thread