Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Organised religeon

Jump to newest

By *or Fox Sake OP   Couple
over a year ago

Thornaby

I don't get it, or rather I do.

Simply put organised religion is an attempt by groups to grab political and other forms of power, what confuses the hell out of me is why people sign up?

It's not real you know....

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

It's not exactly new though is it?

Trying to close the gate Two thousand plus years after the bull has bolted out of the field and all that....

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I don't get it, or rather I do.

Simply put organised religion is an attempt by groups to grab political and other forms of power, what confuses the hell out of me is why people sign up?

It's not real you know.... "

I agree, its simply a way of enforcing a particular groups will onto others that are either weaker or vulnerable.

I've been happily atheist for years.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've been considering forming a religious cult for quite some time. There are so many gullible people out there that it's surely got to be easier and more financially rewarding than working!

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is probably a lot less difficulties caused by the sign ups. I guess they sign up because they asked the question and are looking for the answer.

The more dangerous perhaps are those who are brought up and basically brainwashed into it unquestioningly or help there by fear. Anytime they even consider another option they will be rapt by fear and guilt.

Reply privately

By *ss2011Man
over a year ago

Leeds/Bradford

Most religious people are born religious because they are brainwashed from a very early age to grow up to be that way! Many actually believe that all us non-believers are screwed, ruled by the devil and waiting to laugh at us on Judgement day! (Horses mouth that one...more than a few times!) Very little actually choose, and those that do, converts/born again/whatever, usually have issues that relate guilt or complete and utter emptiness and a life without meaning. Maybe even loneliness too. For somebody very down on luck, friends, happiness...religion can be a life saver! But then they are hooked and reeled in for good...not so much of a life saver!

I was Christian until I was about 8 and realised it was a load of crap...luckily my parents were of the same opinion (just sent me to a Christian Primary School) Anyway, most other kids parents were not like that...and they'll probably be religious forever and so will their kids and so on and so on. That's how it has gone on for so long! Brainwash and mind control. Suppression of women is the darker side still very much alive.

Did anybody else get kinda mad when that little girl from Pakistan who was shot and got treatment here and she decided to thank everybody who prayed for her!?! Don't you think she should of thanked the staff who saved her life!? Doubt praying would of saved her! Really annoyed me did that. You would think that after an experience like that you would turn around and think, 'Yes! This is a load of crap!'

Thank the lord I do not live in America...because I'd be a really good scam artist

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Most religious people are born religious because they are brainwashed from a very early age to grow up to be that way! Many actually believe that all us non-believers are screwed, ruled by the devil and waiting to laugh at us on Judgement day! (Horses mouth that one...more than a few times!) Very little actually choose, and those that do, converts/born again/whatever, usually have issues that relate guilt or complete and utter emptiness and a life without meaning. Maybe even loneliness too. For somebody very down on luck, friends, happiness...religion can be a life saver! But then they are hooked and reeled in for good...not so much of a life saver!

I was Christian until I was about 8 and realised it was a load of crap...luckily my parents were of the same opinion (just sent me to a Christian Primary School) Anyway, most other kids parents were not like that...and they'll probably be religious forever and so will their kids and so on and so on. That's how it has gone on for so long! Brainwash and mind control. Suppression of women is the darker side still very much alive.

Did anybody else get kinda mad when that little girl from Pakistan who was shot and got treatment here and she decided to thank everybody who prayed for her!?! Don't you think she should of thanked the staff who saved her life!? Doubt praying would of saved her! Really annoyed me did that. You would think that after an experience like that you would turn around and think, 'Yes! This is a load of crap!'

Thank the lord I do not live in America...because I'd be a really good scam artist "

and which lord would that be?

Reply privately

By *ss2011Man
over a year ago

Leeds/Bradford

"

and which lord would that be? "

Mister T.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

and which lord would that be?

Mister T."

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

Organised religion has been around a lot longer than 2000 years. It seems to be an attempt at making some sense of why we are here and what is our purpose. If you have ever asked those sort of questions then you are probably a bit religious, or maybe spiritual is more palatable.

Funny some on here are against religion and yet they seem to worship the gods of money and consumerism

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Organised religion has been around a lot longer than 2000 years. It seems to be an attempt at making some sense of why we are here and what is our purpose. If you have ever asked those sort of questions then you are probably a bit religious, or maybe spiritual is more palatable.

Funny some on here are against religion and yet they seem to worship the gods of money and consumerism "

indeed

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Oh the Irony and Hypocrisy....

People that freely choose to enter into the world of swinging questioning the rights of others to freely choose to practise their religion....

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Organised religion has been around a lot longer than 2000 years. It seems to be an attempt at making some sense of why we are here and what is our purpose. If you have ever asked those sort of questions then you are probably a bit religious, or maybe spiritual is more palatable.

Funny some on here are against religion and yet they seem to worship the gods of money and consumerism "

Could not have put it better myself - some people are replacing the need to have a spiritual/ religious way of making sense of the world by having these other "Gods" in their lives - and I d argue that following CHristian values may havea more beneficial impact on society than following Lagerfeld or Gok, Jeremy Clarkson or whoever next...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Oh the Irony and Hypocrisy....

People that freely choose to enter into the world of swinging questioning the rights of others to freely choose to practise their religion....

"

oooo that reminds me ......

Reply privately

over a year ago

You speak of these gods as though they exist as deities. There are no gods of any description, merely gullible fools who think they exist. The true irony about religion is that those who believe and are proved right won't be able to take the piss out of the non-believers in the afterlife as they won't be there, and if the non-believers are right nobody will be able to take the piss out of anyone as there won't be an afterlife.

The Church wins both ways.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

The onus is upon those who believe to prove that God exists.

Non believers do not have to prove that which they say does not exist.

There is no proof.

Incidentally Wishy , you took my words again. There are no Gods of Consumerism . It was a glib remark, a straw man uttered only for utterings sake.

Reply privately

over a year ago

ah but what if you believe in an afterlife - a sort of progression into another dimension/universe bla bla and it existed.

Then you could laugh at all the peeps who deprived themselves and lived guiltily all their lives.

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

God moves in mysterious ways.

No one ever agrees with me on these forums now its two posts in two days

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"The onus is upon those who believe to prove that God exists.

"

I disagree - and again I am putting myself into the camp of believers despite the fact that I am a non believer...

Why should anybody prove anything to anybody? We are free to choose what we believe to hold true to make sense of our worlds?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yasser Ararfat once made an interesting comment about the war in the Middle East .

He said it was about people fighting over their imaginary friends .

Reply privately

over a year ago

I disagree - and again I am putting myself into the camp of believers despite the fact that I am a non believer...

Why should anybody prove anything to anybody? We are free to choose what we believe to hold true to make sense of our worlds? "

yes, and is it not wonderful that no one can touch that.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"God moves in mysterious ways.

No one ever agrees with me on these forums now its two posts in two days "

I did agree with your post earlier - that most people at some point in their lives reflect on the meaning and purpose of being here. And that makes them a a little spiritual... in my world, too

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Why should anybody prove anything to anybody? We are free to choose what we believe to hold true to make sense of our worlds?

yes, and is it not wonderful that no one can touch that. "

Absolutely - I do not ever feel the need to persuade anybody to not believe in an afterlife - why would I? Why should I be on that mission? All I ask for is that people have a right to believe in what they choose to believe in and not be mocked or ridiculed would be a bonus

Reply privately

By *li87Man
over a year ago

Preston

Religion was a way for those in power to control the masses back in the day. And still used in less developed areas like Norfolk. It was a way to keep them in check don't steal or you will go to hell. Who where they likely to steal from? The rich. So basically if your hungry and steal money or food although yes you will not be hungry at that point you will however suffer in the after life if you do. Don't steal food you will die hungry but will be rewarded in heaven. It's the same theory with suicide bombers. You will get 72 virgins in heaven if you blow your self up in the name of Allah. personaly give me 72 girls who know what these doing.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I believe that all women are less than second class and should be the property of men like animals.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Religion was a way for those in power to control the masses back in the day. And still used in less developed areas like Norfolk. It was a way to keep them in check don't steal or you will go to hell. Who where they likely to steal from? The rich. So basically if your hungry and steal money or food although yes you will not be hungry at that point you will however suffer in the after life if you do. Don't steal food you will die hungry but will be rewarded in heaven. It's the same theory with suicide bombers. You will get 72 virgins in heaven if you blow your self up in the name of Allah. personaly give me 72 girls who know what these doing. "

will they all get a bit each?

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

Why do religious people have to prove the existence of god ?

Religions are called "faiths" for a good reason. To have faith and believe in a god is just that. It is a matter of faith and belief not an absolute fact. This seems to be a mistake made by believers and non believers alike when arguing about religion.

As far as the afterlife goes there is no doubt that there is one, it is an absolute fact. People are made of matter, matter cannot be created or destroyed it can only change form. So all you non believers existed from the beginning of time and when your body dies you will still exist but in a different form or forms.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Why should anybody prove anything to anybody? We are free to choose what we believe to hold true to make sense of our worlds? "

How much thought did you give to the formulation of that second paragraph?

Or the essence of what it actually says and it's wider implications ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"ah but what if you believe in an afterlife - a sort of progression into another dimension/universe bla bla and it existed.

Then you could laugh at all the peeps who deprived themselves and lived guiltily all their lives."

even science tells us of different dimensions..thats why I dont discount much possibilities

I question peoples beliefs that have a detrimental affect to others..in the case of most religions it appears to be the case where fanatics at the heart go against everthing they claim to believe, often relying on the gullible

some people seek desitined paths, others dont..thats the only difference I can see and it would be a bad thing if everyone believed one side was more important than the other

there are truly nice decent human beings with religious leanings, just as their are horrible atheist people who dont actually care about anything other than themselves

the only thing I think I've learned is that there is no perfect balance, its all an organized chaos- neither can be without the other

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Religion was a way for those in power to control the masses back in the day. And still used in less developed areas like Norfolk. It was a way to keep them in check don't steal or you will go to hell. Who where they likely to steal from? The rich. So basically if your hungry and steal money or food although yes you will not be hungry at that point you will however suffer in the after life if you do. Don't steal food you will die hungry but will be rewarded in heaven. It's the same theory with suicide bombers. You will get 72 virgins in heaven if you blow your self up in the name of Allah. personaly give me 72 girls who know what these doing. "
You are right of course that religion was and contues to be used to control people - and that is perhaps wrong although one could argue that a society based on some morality functions better than one that is based on chaos.

Having said that - if religions gives comfort to people, gives them a moral code and something to hold on to, to live by.. why on earth would anybody want to deprive them of this?

Reply privately

over a year ago

What a load of crap, how does that even compare to worshipping some made up deity? Believe me, I'm no fan of capitalism in the slightest, it's a horrible, horrible system but unfortunately it DOES exist and so does money, so this is just rubbish. How can you compare the two?

As for the reasons why religions exist, don't be so naive. They are all forms of population control used by rulers for thousands of years, to keep the simple people in check through fear and awe with their made up crap.

They even change them over the years to suit their political needs when required. A prime example being, even though its a quite commonly known fact, I wonder how many Church of England believers actually realise that they are following a religion that was created by Henry VIII because he'd fallen out with the Catholic Church?

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Why do religious people have to prove the existence of god ?

Religions are called "faiths" for a good reason. To have faith and believe in a god is just that. It is a matter of faith and belief not an absolute fact. This seems to be a mistake made by believers and non believers alike when arguing about religion.

As far as the afterlife goes there is no doubt that there is one, it is an absolute fact. People are made of matter, matter cannot be created or destroyed it can only change form. So all you non believers existed from the beginning of time and when your body dies you will still exist but in a different form or forms. "

Yes. Dust and ash ..... not as people.

Do rocks have life ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

How could people worship me if it wasn't organised? They'd be getting the wrong buses to the wrong house, getting times and dates wrong, forgetting my birthday and everything. That's where my PA Miss Smokingrowler comes in handy. She's a wiz at organisation x

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Or the essence of what it actually says and it's wider implications ?"

Sufficient thought to state that I cannot see any reason why anybody, believer or non believer, needs to justify why they believe what they believe. I am not sure I understand what you are saying?

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/02/13 14:41:33]

Reply privately

over a year ago

As far as the afterlife goes there is no doubt that there is one, it is an absolute fact. People are made of matter, matter cannot be created or destroyed it can only change form. So all you non believers existed from the beginning of time and when your body dies you will still exist but in a different form or forms.

Do rocks have life ? "

ask Brian's Cocks

Reply privately

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 19/02/13 14:41:33]"

tch, not meeting ya now then.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Or the essence of what it actually says and it's wider implications ?"

I believe in genocide. It will be good for my country.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If a person Believes in a religion or a God, and that belief makes them a better person toward there fellow man, then that has to be a good thing right ? It would make no difference too me what religion they are if that is the outcome.

But on the flip side you get the twisted versions of a good religion, which promote violence, suffering and death to others, that is the type of religion that needs to be condemned, But to call a good person a fool because of there beliefs that's just not right. This thread has made me sad and disappointed

M

Reply privately

over a year ago

Amen to that

Reply privately

over a year ago

Pmsl at the Norfolk bit

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"ah but what if you believe in an afterlife - a sort of progression into another dimension/universe bla bla and it existed.

Then you could laugh at all the peeps who deprived themselves and lived guiltily all their lives.

even science tells us of different dimensions..thats why I dont discount much possibilities

I question peoples beliefs that have a detrimental affect to others..in the case of most religions it appears to be the case where fanatics at the heart go against everthing they claim to believe, often relying on the gullible

some people seek desitined paths, others dont..thats the only difference I can see and it would be a bad thing if everyone believed one side was more important than the other

there are truly nice decent human beings with religious leanings, just as their are horrible atheist people who dont actually care about anything other than themselves

the only thing I think I've learned is that there is no perfect balance, its all an organized chaos- neither can be without the other

"

I, too have a problem with fanaticism - and follow Kant's moral imperative of "Treat others as you would like to be treated" (rough translation admittedly).

As such religions and belief systems that use force to make others join in, use acts of terror or intimidation have no place in society. And yes, before I get shot down, I am aware of the crusades and other atrocities that have been carried out in the name of the (catholic) church and the fact other religions havecommitted other atrocities towards man is no justification.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"How could people worship me if it wasn't organised? They'd be getting the wrong buses to the wrong house, getting times and dates wrong, forgetting my birthday and everything. That's where my PA Miss Smokingrowler comes in handy. She's a wiz at organisation x "

Don't be stupid. Mass Consumerism gives me tons of Shiny things on your birthday.I'll never forgt you. xxxx

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"If a person Believes in a religion or a God, and that belief makes them a better person toward there fellow man, then that has to be a good thing right ? It would make no difference too me what religion they are if that is the outcome.

But on the flip side you get the twisted versions of a good religion, which promote violence, suffering and death to others, that is the type of religion that needs to be condemned, But to call a good person a fool because of there beliefs that's just not right. This thread has made me sad and disappointed

M"

Absolutely - we are singing quite literally off a similar hymn sheet

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"If a person Believes in a religion or a God, and that belief makes them a better person toward there fellow man, then that has to be a good thing right ? It would make no difference too me what religion they are if that is the outcome.

M"

No one called ANYONE a fool.

If they did , show me and I'll stop adding to the thread.

Reply privately

over a year ago

atheist 1: I believe in people aspiring to a better world and living in harmony

atheist 2: I couldnt give a toss for others and I dont believe anything has purpose, there are no consequences to any action I do

religious person 1: I follow the teachings, take some of it with a pinch of salt, but I believe the greater good of people and I strive to make the world a better place

religious person 2: I follow the teachings blindly..I will kill others knowing I was on the righteous path

Reply privately

over a year ago

Funny some on here are against religion and yet they seem to worship the gods of money and consumerism

You speak of these gods as though they exist as deities. There are no gods of any description, merely gullible fools who think they exist. The true irony about religion is that those who believe and are proved right won't be able to take the piss out of the non-believers in the afterlife as they won't be there, and if the non-believers are right nobody will be able to take the piss out of anyone as there won't be an afterlife.

The Church wins both ways. "

Think the word fools is in there some were!

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"atheist 1: I believe in people aspiring to a better world and living in harmony

atheist 2: I couldnt give a toss for others and I dont believe anything has purpose, there are no consequences to any action I do

religious person 1: I follow the teachings, take some of it with a pinch of salt, but I believe the greater good of people and I strive to make the world a better place

religious person 2: I follow the teachings blindly..I will kill others knowing I was on the righteous path"

Roughly speaking... that is how I would see it, too. Either way no need really to attack or mock anybody (I am not referring to the thread, I mean in reality as I have seen this happen on a few occasions and I have stepped in every time)

Reply privately

By *rtemisiaWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

"Most religious people are born religious because they are brainwashed from a very early age to grow up to be that way! Many actually believe that all us non-believers are screwed, ruled by the devil and waiting to laugh at us on Judgement day! (Horses mouth that one...more than a few times!) Very little actually choose, and those that do, converts/born again/whatever, usually have issues that relate guilt or complete and utter emptiness and a life without meaning. Maybe even loneliness too. For somebody very down on luck, friends, happiness...religion can be a life saver! But then they are hooked and reeled in for good...not so much of a life saver!

Thank the lord I do not live in America...because I'd be a really good scam artist "

I was born and raised into a religion but it never really took hold of me and I was bored rigid by it for the first 18 years of my life. Luckily for me, I have an enquiring mind and so I refused to swallow what I was told and have since gone on to have great fun thinking about how the world, the universe and everything in it came into being. I like to keep an open mind and I do believe that there has always been something innate in human beings which makes them look for some kind of higher consciousness upon which to model the nobler versions of themselves. The dark side gets chalked up to the devil and the light side to God/gods. Once this all weaves itself into organised religion, we then have the problem of control and division and suppression etc. As Shakespeare had Hamlet say - 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy ..'. But then in one of Hamlet's lone moments on stage, he muses and says 'how like an angel in apprehension' is the human being. He was tormented by his own thoughts and at that moment, higher consciousness seems like a burden and a curse to him. Questions. Always questions. No-one ever comes back though, to tell us what lies beyond, and unless they do, those questions will always remain as to where we end up or what we're here for in the first place. I'll go with Goethe I think. 'The point of life is life.' Seems a safe bet to me.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Think the word fools is in there some were!"

Yes, it was and sadly that is what makes it inflammatory.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

" I'll go with Goethe I think. 'The point of life is life.' Seems a safe bet to me."
And Goethe, like Hamlet... wrote (very roughly translated) "there are many more things between heaven and earth that the human mind can explain".

Reply privately

over a year ago

How can you say someone is born religious and then in next sentence day they are brain washed from an early age? Which one is it?

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

Do rocks have life ?

ask Brian's Cocks"

I wouldnt ask brian cox. Basically all he does is confirm what the likes of Lao Tzu already knew 2500 years ago

Reply privately

over a year ago

"atheist 1: I believe in people aspiring to a better world and living in harmony

religious person 2: I follow the teachings blindly..I will kill others knowing I was on the righteous path"

you forgot agnostics 1 & 2?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Im not religious as such but do keep an open mind about it. I wonder how many of the atheists out there wouldn't pray if a family member was really ill. I know I will be praying if that times comes. Whether religion is real or not, it does offer hope to those who believe.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well I'll be 100% completely honest here, if I find out that someone believes in any religion then I lose quite a lot of respect/trust in them in regards to their decision making, gullibility, vulnerability and therefore I suppose I view them as lesser people. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it

Does anybody else feel this way or am I just an atheist fascist?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Im not religious as such but do keep an open mind about it. I wonder how many of the atheists out there wouldn't pray if a family member was really ill. I know I will be praying if that times comes. Whether religion is real or not, it does offer hope to those who believe. "
That is another valuable point - how many non-believing people do in times of great anxiety, stress, fear and tragedy "turn" to ehat they believe to be a greater power and it gives them some comfort at that moment in time....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Im not religious as such but do keep an open mind about it. I wonder how many of the atheists out there wouldn't pray if a family member was really ill. I know I will be praying if that times comes. Whether religion is real or not, it does offer hope to those who believe. "

I was caught in a strong earthquake some years ago and found myself praying to die quickly and without pain. As it happened I survived but, yes, praying is instinctive. Curious eh?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well I'll be 100% completely honest here, if I find out that someone believes in any religion then I lose quite a lot of respect/trust in them in regards to their decision making, gullibility, vulnerability and therefore I suppose I view them as lesser people. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it

Does anybody else feel this way or am I just an atheist fascist?"

no and yes

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Thank the lord I do not live in America...because I'd be a really good scam artist

I was born and raised into a religion but it never really took hold of me and I was bored rigid by it for the first 18 years of my life. Luckily for me, I have an enquiring mind and so I refused to swallow what I was told and have since gone on to have great fun thinking about how the world, the universe and everything in it came into being. I like to keep an open mind and I do believe that there has always been something innate in human beings which makes them look for some kind of higher consciousness upon which to model the nobler versions of themselves. The dark side gets chalked up to the devil and the light side to God/gods. Once this all weaves itself into organised religion, we then have the problem of control and division and suppression etc. As Shakespeare had Hamlet say - 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy ..'. But then in one of Hamlet's lone moments on stage, he muses and says 'how like an angel in apprehension' is the human being. He was tormented by his own thoughts and at that moment, higher consciousness seems like a burden and a curse to him. Questions. Always questions. No-one ever comes back though, to tell us what lies beyond, and unless they do, those questions will always remain as to where we end up or what we're here for in the first place. I'll go with Goethe I think. 'The point of life is life.' Seems a safe bet to me."

Why do people quote Shakespeare ? He was a simple playwright ....

The greatest modern philosopher of today says ....... 'Do'h!'

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was born and raised into a religion but it never really took hold of me and I was bored rigid by it for the first 18 years of my life. Luckily for me, I have an enquiring mind and so I refused to swallow what I was told and have since gone on to have great fun thinking about how the world, the universe and everything in it came into being. I like to keep an open mind and I do believe that there has always been something innate in human beings which makes them look for some kind of higher consciousness upon which to model the nobler versions of themselves. The dark side gets chalked up to the devil and the light side to God/gods. Once this all weaves itself into organised religion, we then have the problem of control and division and suppression etc. As Shakespeare had Hamlet say - 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy ..'. But then in one of Hamlet's lone moments on stage, he muses and says 'how like an angel in apprehension' is the human being. He was tormented by his own thoughts and at that moment, higher consciousness seems like a burden and a curse to him. Questions. Always questions. No-one ever comes back though, to tell us what lies beyond, and unless they do, those questions will always remain as to where we end up or what we're here for in the first place. I'll go with Goethe I think. 'The point of life is life.' Seems a safe bet to me.

The greatest modern philosopher of today says ....... 'Do'h!' "

The word fools is up there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The greatest modern philosopher of today says ....... 'Do'h!' "

and he took the piss outa folks a lot of the time. like me reposting this epic post.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Im not religious as such but do keep an open mind about it. I wonder how many of the atheists out there wouldn't pray if a family member was really ill. I know I will be praying if that times comes. Whether religion is real or not, it does offer hope to those who believe.

I was caught in a strong earthquake some years ago and found myself praying to die quickly and without pain. As it happened I survived but, yes, praying is instinctive. Curious eh?"

Yep and shows just how ineffective it obviously is. It's called clutching at straws

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Think the word fools is in there some were!"

Undeniably.

Roger....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Im not religious as such but do keep an open mind about it. I wonder how many of the atheists out there wouldn't pray if a family member was really ill. I know I will be praying if that times comes. Whether religion is real or not, it does offer hope to those who believe.

I was caught in a strong earthquake some years ago and found myself praying to die quickly and without pain. As it happened I survived but, yes, praying is instinctive. Curious eh?

Yep and shows just how ineffective it obviously is. It's called clutching at straws"

hardly think they would help in an earthquake. tch

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

I was caught in a strong earthquake some years ago and found myself praying to die quickly and without pain. As it happened I survived but, yes, praying is instinctive. Curious eh?"

And the main thing for me would be... if it helped you at that moment in time - then I d say it was worth it. Irrespective of what other people make of religion.

Reply privately

over a year ago

religious person 2: I follow the teachings blindly..I will kill others knowing I was on the righteous path

you forgot agnostics 1 & 2? "

thatll be me then lol- of course they can still be arseholes..and maybe not able to pigeonhole into any extreme

*admit I didnt know what agnostic meant..I'me not particularly concerned about rationalizing the human condition

Reply privately

over a year ago

you forgot agnostics 1 & 2?

thatll be me then lol- of course they can still be arseholes..and maybe not able to pigeonhole into any extreme

*admit I didnt know what agnostic meant..I'me not particularly concerned about rationalizing the human condition"

bit of an askhole mesel.

Reply privately

over a year ago

From an existentialist point of view, does religion really matter?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yep and shows just how ineffective it obviously is. It's called clutching at straws

hardly think they would help in an earthquake. tch"

It all depends on how good your lungs are, looking at yours you ought to be able to blow in the straws and jet propel yourself away from danger

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well I'll be 100% completely honest here, if I find out that someone believes in any religion then I lose quite a lot of respect/trust in them in regards to their decision making, gullibility, vulnerability and therefore I suppose I view them as lesser people. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it

Does anybody else feel this way or am I just an atheist fascist?"

Probably!

Reply privately

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

I' m an aetheist, asked too many awkward questions in Sunday school and was asked to leave, and then did the same in school RE lessons. I wasn't deliberately awkward, I just saw gaping holes in the story being told and wanted answers.

I try to live in a Christian manner as much as life and those I come into contact with will let me, but I don't force my opinion of this on others, and prefer they respect that and reciprocate.

Many organised religions seem to me to be a form of control, and I guess I prefer to be a free spirit.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My thinking on things are always pretty basic ( believe it or not )

All of us super intelligent, well educated and very privileged in the majority of the western world are totally turning our backs on organised religions as we see the faults and lack of "science" behind it. Having spent a good deal of my life working in 3rd world countries where the organised religion is a common and respected thing. Guess which people are happiest. God works in mysterious ways and so do I x

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

"I' m an aetheist, asked too many awkward questions in Sunday school and was asked to leave, and then did the same in school RE lessons. I wasn't deliberately awkward, I just saw gaping holes in the story being told and wanted answers.

I try to live in a Christian manner as much as life and those I come into contact with will let me, but I don't force my opinion of this on others, and prefer they respect that and reciprocate.

Many organised religions seem to me to be a form of control, and I guess I prefer to be a free spirit. "

The Buddha would agree with you asking questions, he encouraged people to not be blind followers but to ask questions investigate and discover the truth for themselves.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"From an existentialist point of view, does religion really matter? "
Being a semi existentialist(yes, they do come in halves) I d agree

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My thinking on things are always pretty basic ( believe it or not )

All of us super intelligent, well educated and very privileged in the majority of the western world are totally turning our backs on organised religions as we see the faults and lack of "science" behind it. Having spent a good deal of my life working in 3rd world countries where the organised religion is a common and respected thing. Guess which people are happiest. God works in mysterious ways and so do I x "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I' m an aetheist, asked too many awkward questions in Sunday school and was asked to leave, and then did the same in school RE lessons. I wasn't deliberately awkward, I just saw gaping holes in the story being told and wanted answers.

Many organised religions seem to me to be a form of control, and I guess I prefer to be a free spirit. "

I agree about control and gaping holes in all religious stories. But if people have "faith" and want to believe in a greater being, an afterlife etc then I don't have a problem with it. Truth is there are plenty of unexplained gaps in scientific teaching as well. The vast majority of "religious" people are good citizens, live life by decent morals and don't do me any harm.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

I really like this way of looking at it... I try to live in a Christian manner as much as life and those I come into contact with will let me, but I don't force my opinion of this on others, and prefer they respect that and reciprocate.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"My thinking on things are always pretty basic ( believe it or not )

All of us super intelligent, well educated and very privileged in the majority of the western world are totally turning our backs on organised religions as we see the faults and lack of "science" behind it. Having spent a good deal of my life working in 3rd world countries where the organised religion is a common and respected thing. Guess which people are happiest. God works in mysterious ways and so do I x "

Good point!

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Many organised religions seem to me to be a form of control, and I guess I prefer to be a free spirit.

I really like this way of looking at it... I try to live in a Christian manner as much as life and those I come into contact with will let me, but I don't force my opinion of this on others, and prefer they respect that and reciprocate. "

Sorry Southwalescouple. looks as if I plagiarised you - I meant to quote you but was too rushed

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't get it, or rather I do.

It's not real you know.... "

It doesn't really matter what we think its what those who believe think. But I would think some go into religion not really believing but looking for personal power.

Reply privately

over a year ago

M

No one called ANYONE a fool.

If they did , show me and I'll stop adding to the thread."

The term gullible fools was used.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There are believed to be 2780 deities across all religions. I don't believe in any of them. People who believe in one of them are nearly as atheistic as I am

Reply privately

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

"I've been considering forming a religious cult for quite some time. There are so many gullible people out there that it's surely got to be easier and more financially rewarding than working!"

Oooo! Oooo! I'm in! How much do you want?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't have a lot of time for religions but I'm open minded to the absolute possibility that there is more to life (and possibly beyond) than we understand - its arrogant and narrow minded to state otherwise.

I would say too that I consider Richard Dawkins to be someway towards organised faith, albeit organised unfaith - any form of preaching that you have all the answers doesn't seem correct to me.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I've been considering forming a religious cult for quite some time. There are so many gullible people out there that it's surely got to be easier and more financially rewarding than working!"

If you set it up as a charity too, you can cash in twice.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

I would say too that I consider Richard Dawkins to be someway towards organised faith, albeit organised unfaith - any form of preaching that you have all the answers doesn't seem correct to me."

Are you thinking of Der Gotteswahn?

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" .......I try to live in a Christian manner as much as life and those I come into contact with will let me, but I don't force my opinion of this on others, and prefer they respect that and reciprocate. "

Do you try to live in a 'Christian' manner 'cos it's Christian or because it's a lifestyle which suits you?

The basic tenets of Christianity aren't necessarily a bad way to live but there's absolutely no reason get get dragged down by the religious woo-woo.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't have a lot of time for religions but I'm open minded to the absolute possibility that there is more to life (and possibly beyond) than we understand - its arrogant and narrow minded to state otherwise.

I would say too that I consider Richard Dawkins to be someway towards organised faith, albeit organised unfaith - any form of preaching that you have all the answers doesn't seem correct to me."

Dawkins is complete dork too. In fact reading my posts back, I hope I haven't let my misanthropy out of the bag

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ............

Dawkins is complete dork too. In fact reading my posts back, I hope I haven't let my misanthropy out of the bag "

Dork? Dork must mean something different when you live.

Disagree with him by all means but he's one of the best thinkers in the UK.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

when should read where.

Reply privately

over a year ago

" ............

Dawkins is complete dork too. In fact reading my posts back, I hope I haven't let my misanthropy out of the bag

Disagree with him by all means but he's one of the best thinkers in the UK."

I'm not saying I disagree with him, he just comes across as a smug dick which winds me up. He'd be ok if he stuck to writing and kept his gob shut

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ............

I'm not saying I disagree with him, he just comes across as a smug dick which winds me up. He'd be ok if he stuck to writing and kept his gob shut "

If I were that clever, I'd probably come across as a smug dick too - and I wouldn't give a monkeys

Reply privately

over a year ago

" ............

I'm not saying I disagree with him, he just comes across as a smug dick which winds me up. He'd be ok if he stuck to writing and kept his gob shut

If I were that clever, I'd probably come across as a smug dick too - and I wouldn't give a monkeys "

Haha I don't think his monotone voice helps, it really grates on me. I bought The God Delusion on audiobook ages ago and after listening to him and his bird's voices for about 3 chapters I was beginning to contemplate finding The Lord just to escape their voices

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

" ............

If I were that clever, I'd probably come across as a smug dick too - and I wouldn't give a monkeys "

The Buddha warned against to much cleverness

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I would say too that I consider Richard Dawkins to be someway towards organised faith, albeit organised unfaith - any form of preaching that you have all the answers doesn't seem correct to me. Are you thinking of Der Gotteswahn? "

Indeed - some people use it in a way not dissimilar from Christian missionaries.

I don't believe in a religion.. I also don't believe in atheism

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Dawkins is complete dork too. In fact reading my posts back, I hope I haven't let my misanthropy out of the bag "

A complete Dawk perhaps?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Dawkins is complete dork too. In fact reading my posts back, I hope I haven't let my misanthropy out of the bag

A complete Dawk perhaps?"

Well that is the reason I used that word

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

I would say too that I consider Richard Dawkins to be someway towards organised faith, albeit organised unfaith - any form of preaching that you have all the answers doesn't seem correct to me. Are you thinking of Der Gotteswahn?

Indeed - some people use it in a way not dissimilar from Christian missionaries.

I don't believe in a religion.. I also don't believe in atheism"

As arbguably not having a religion could (and is by some) seen as another form of religion

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

" ............

Disagree with him by all means but he's one of the best thinkers in the UK."

I do not agree with everything Richard Dawkins postulates - but it has to be recognised that he is indeed one of the well respected thinkers today. You need some knowledge of the subject and the predisposition to understand him and his concepts and that is not easy for everybody.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you study evolutionary science cosmology anthrapology thermo dynamics you will have no choice but to come to the conclusion that the universerse is billions of years old and the earth 4 and a half million years old. The creationists will refute this by there estimation that the earth is only 6 to 7 thousand years old. I until recently thouhgt that creation was such nonsense that learned proffessorial charistians had long abandoned it as merely symbolic mythology. Having made recent studies i am wrong..there is still a huge movement extholing the autenticity of creationism especially in america. Therefore there was an adam and eve a great flood where thousands of species formed an orderly queue to get on a ship that must have been the size of the qe2 to accomadate them even though building a ship of that size would have been impossible 6 thousand years ago. Only 8 people survived the flood...not enough to repopulate the earth . Oh and dinosaurs cohabited the planet with man and some survive today. I can go on and on documenting the nonsense. The reason the redneck evangelist fanatics refuse to end there self inflicted intellectual suicide is that jesus in scripture endorsed genisis as historical fact rendering him a fraud. I am not an atheist and i believe intelligent idesign is a possibility and it is a sorry individual who decrys another there beliefs. For all its sins and atrocities religion stops us sliding into a spiritualistic empty abyss..would you get upset about a child believing in santa claus

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"If you study evolutionary science cosmology anthrapology thermo dynamics you will have no choice but to come to the conclusion that the universerse is billions of years old and the earth 4 and a half million years old. The creationists will refute this by there estimation that the earth is only 6 to 7 thousand years old. I until recently thouhgt that creation was such nonsense that learned proffessorial charistians had long abandoned it as merely symbolic mythology. Having made recent studies i am wrong..there is still a huge movement extholing the autenticity of creationism especially in america. Therefore there was an adam and eve a great flood where thousands of species formed an orderly queue to get on a ship that must have been the size of the qe2 to accomadate them even though building a ship of that size would have been impossible 6 thousand years ago. Only 8 people survived the flood...not enough to repopulate the earth . Oh and dinosaurs cohabited the planet with man and some survive today. I can go on and on documenting the nonsense. The reason the redneck evangelist fanatics refuse to end there self inflicted intellectual suicide is that jesus in scripture endorsed genisis as historical fact rendering him a fraud. I am not an atheist and i believe intelligent idesign is a possibility and it is a sorry individual who decrys another there beliefs. For all its sins and atrocities religion stops us sliding into a spiritualistic empty abyss..would you get upset about a child believing in santa claus"

This is what I have been trying to say, perhaps you said it better than me. It does not hurt anybody if people believe anymore than it hurts anybody when people choose a different lifestyle, different diet, different sexual practices... the list goes on.

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

if folk wish to believe in deities etc then thats fine by me..

there are many good aspects or 'morals' etc in all organised religeons..

equally there are those who hide behind said and twist it to justify slaughtering others..

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"if folk wish to believe in deities etc then thats fine by me..

.............."

It doesn't sound quite so fine when you point out a diety is just an invisible sky-fairy.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

It doesn't sound quite so fine when you point out a diety is just an invisible sky-fairy."

You are going to get deity status yourself ... titled "devil's advocat"

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"You are going to get deity status yourself ... titled "devil's advocat" "

I can see the whole thing snowballing.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"You are going to get deity status yourself ... titled "devil's advocat"

I can see the whole thing snowballing."

Thought that was a term from the urban rather than spiritual dictionary

Reply privately

over a year ago

It doesn't sound quite so fine when you point out a diety is just an invisible sky-fairy."

point at something invisible?...make sense man

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I can see the whole thing snowballing.Thought that was a term from the urban rather than spiritual dictionary"

I'll drink to that

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

It doesn't sound quite so fine when you point out a diety is just an invisible sky-fairy.

point at something invisible?...make sense man "

Jeeze that is another and entirely different philosophical topic. Can one point at something invisible?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

I can see the whole thing snowballing.Thought that was a term from the urban rather than spiritual dictionary

I'll drink to that "

With said drink in hand... can we agree or disagree to point at something invisible? I really MUST know as I am currently ina state of not knowing and this drives me (even more) insane

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can see the whole thing snowballing."

invisible doent mean something isnt there..I cant see a black hole...yet they appear to exist by all given scientific accounts

whether or not wishing to believe in something that isnt existing in our feiild of view/grasp...is like saying wifi doesnt exist

the view that there cant be anything in a higher evolved state than humans must be one of the silliest arguments Ive heard..and thats just working on the mathematics alone!

Reply privately

over a year ago

point at something invisible?...make sense man Jeeze that is another and entirely different philosophical topic. Can one point at something invisible? "

Would say no because if you can point at it it must be visible ( I think )

Reply privately

over a year ago

point at something invisible?...make sense man Jeeze that is another and entirely different philosophical topic. Can one point at something invisible? "

of course u can..if u eco-locate it...its not in a different dimension lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

point at something invisible?...make sense man Jeeze that is another and entirely different philosophical topic. Can one point at something invisible?

Would say no because if you can point at it it must be visible ( I think )"

it still has mass therefore is there...

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

invisible doent mean something isnt there..I cant see a black hole...yet they appear to exist by all given scientific accounts

whether or not wishing to believe in something that isnt existing in our feiild of view/grasp...is like saying wifi doesnt exist

the view that there cant be anything in a higher evolved state than humans must be one of the silliest arguments Ive heard..and thats just working on the mathematics alone!"

I am curious, serious question again, can you point at something that does not exist? (Not talking deity now, just anything?)

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

And also... if you can "think" it... does it exist even if invisible to the human eye at that moment in time (thoughts can be measured and made visible)

Reply privately

over a year ago

point at something invisible?...make sense man Jeeze that is another and entirely different philosophical topic. Can one point at something invisible?

it still has mass therefore is there..."

But if it has mass can you see it?

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I can see the whole thing snowballing.Thought that was a term from the urban rather than spiritual dictionary

I'll drink to that

With said drink in hand... can we agree or disagree to point at something invisible? I really MUST know as I am currently ina state of not knowing and this drives me (even more) insane "

It isn't pointing at something invisible, it's pointing out that something is invisible.

You can, however, point to where an invisible object is predicted to be.

Reply privately

over a year ago

the view that there cant be anything in a higher evolved state than humans must be one of the silliest arguments Ive heard..and thats just working on the mathematics alone!I am curious, serious question again, can you point at something that does not exist? (Not talking deity now, just anything?)"

I could make something up in my head and point at it...whether I choose it to be real may be a product of my sanity or lack of- nobody can actually say it does not exist 100% can they?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

the view that there cant be anything in a higher evolved state than humans must be one of the silliest arguments Ive heard..and thats just working on the mathematics alone!I am curious, serious question again, can you point at something that does not exist? (Not talking deity now, just anything?)

I could make something up in my head and point at it...whether I choose it to be real may be a product of my sanity or lack of- nobody can actually say it does not exist 100% can they?"

Yep, I d go along with that statement.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

".

But if it has mass can you see it? "

If it has mass, does that leave it in a state of grace?

Reply privately

over a year ago

But if it has mass can you see it? "

not if its invisible lol..tahts why we cant see a black hole..just the stuff around it, or the emitting radiation via technology

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

not if its invisible lol..tahts why we cant see a black hole..just the stuff around it, or the emitting radiation via technology"

And of course, some things can be proved/ disproved mathematically and we can never "see, feel, touch" the reality of it.

Reply privately

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

the view that there cant be anything in a higher evolved state than humans must be one of the silliest arguments Ive heard..and thats just working on the mathematics alone!I am curious, serious question again, can you point at something that does not exist? (Not talking deity now, just anything?)"

Nearly!..Quantum Mechanics..particles at quantum levels can be measured and observed for position and momentum, but not simultaneously.

Reply privately

over a year ago

not if its invisible lol..tahts why we cant see a black hole..just the stuff around it, or the emitting radiation via technology

And of course, some things can be proved/ disproved mathematically and we can never "see, feel, touch" the reality of it."

well from weird theories, sciencefiction etc...we have uncovered many things...some we take for granted in everyday life...some may shape our next big jump..

getting back to the preposterous idea of sky-faries- dont discount it... they might not be those in books, they might be something rather unimaginable based on the diversity we have on one planet alone

Reply privately

over a year ago

not if its invisible lol..tahts why we cant see a black hole..just the stuff around it, or the emitting radiation via technology"

So we can't point at it only in the general direction of it or at the stuff around it

Reply privately

over a year ago

So we can't point at it only in the general direction of it or at the stuff around it "

of course u can point AT it, u just cant see it...its sorta like working out where ur pool ball will go after u take the shot..

Reply privately

over a year ago

So we can't point at it only in the general direction of it or at the stuff around it

of course u can point AT it, u just cant see it...its sorta like working out where ur pool ball will go after u take the shot.."

So how do you know your pointing at it if you can't see it ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

of course u can point AT it, u just cant see it...its sorta like working out where ur pool ball will go after u take the shot..

So how do you know your pointing at it if you can't see it ?"

by working out the momentum of the objects attracted by it...via gravity

Reply privately

over a year ago

".

If it has mass, does that leave it in a state of grace?"

My ass has too much mass, leaving it in more of a state if 'dis'grace

Reply privately

over a year ago

".

If it has mass, does that leave it in a state of grace?

My ass has too much mass, leaving it in more of a state if 'dis'grace

"

antigravity for my cock...can i ride it!

Reply privately

By *adyH and GrissomCouple
over a year ago

Llantarnum

Going by the number of guys that shout Oh God, Oh God as they're coming - there is quite a lot of Believers out there lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

by working out the momentum of the objects attracted by it...via gravity"

But you still can't see it

Reply privately

over a year ago

But you still can't see it"

I never said u can..

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

disagree, if thats what they believe then tbh i dont actually care..

your perhaps preaching to the unconverted..

Reply privately

over a year ago

I never said u can.."

No but the start of this chat was can you point at something invisible

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

And of course, some things can be proved/ disproved mathematically and we can never "see, feel, touch" the reality of it."

This reminds me of the thing that it's impossible to draw an 'alien' because by definition everything about them is alien to us.

Reply privately

By *igSuki81Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

It's not about proving anything to someone else. It is, or ought to be, about providing proof to yourself.

In the absence of proof, all there is is belief and you can kid yourself till the cows turn into horses and appear in burgers - it's still bollox.

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

"

And of course, some things can be proved/ disproved mathematically and we can never "see, feel, touch" the reality of it.

This reminds me of the thing that it's impossible to draw an 'alien' because by definition everything about them is alien to us."

strictly speaking we are all alien.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Organised religeon more like gangsters

Reply privately

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

" .......I try to live in a Christian manner as much as life and those I come into contact with will let me, but I don't force my opinion of this on others, and prefer they respect that and reciprocate.

Do you try to live in a 'Christian' manner 'cos it's Christian or because it's a lifestyle which suits you?

The basic tenets of Christianity aren't necessarily a bad way to live but there's absolutely no reason get get dragged down by the religious woo-woo."

I use the word Christian to mean that I try to live an honest life, and treat others with respect, not always easy and I am a flawed individual.

Although I am an atheist, something happened to me ( see " A tribute to Tim" thread) which rocked my world, and now although not religious, I have a more open mind to the possibility that there is "something" out there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I never said u can..

No but the start of this chat was can you point at something invisible "

observation is not limited to the visual field..I dunno why u appear not to grasp that...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I never said u can..

No but the start of this chat was can you point at something invisible

observation is not limited to the visual field..I dunno why u appear not to grasp that..."

Meaning of the word observe

To look at,to examine, to see

So what part am I not grasping ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Meaning of the word observe

So what part am I not grasping ?"

The wider definition?

How could you prove it's not possible to point at something you can't sense? (even if by chance)

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

It's not about proving anything to someone else. It is, or ought to be, about providing proof to yourself.

In the absence of proof, all there is is belief and you can kid yourself till the cows turn into horses and appear in burgers - it's still bollox."

The mere definition of "believing" is thae assumption that something holds true but you cannot prove it.

I probably di not express myself well..I meant if I wanted to believe something (that ultimately I could not prove or disprove) then that is my choice and I would not need anybody's approval, neither would anybody's disapproval or mockery stop me.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Can a blind person point at an object ?

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Simply deciding to believe something does not make it so.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Can a blind person point at an object ?"

Well erm yes! Obviously.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Can a blind person point at an object ?"
Most blind people have some form of vision but suppose they did not - they can point at where they believe the object is - if that is inaccurate then that is because of their failing eyesight but not because the object is not there.... I think?

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Simply deciding to believe something does not make it so."

disagree, to the 'believer's' it does..

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Can a blind person point at an object ?

Well erm yes! Obviously. "

Obvious to who ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Meaning of the word observe

So what part am I not grasping ?

The wider definition?

How could you prove it's not possible to point at something you can't sense? (even if by chance)"

Sometimes we sense something that isn't there. We can only point a hundred percent at something we can see

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Simply deciding to believe something does not make it so.

"

A belief is not a fact.

Your statement does not counteract mine.

Simply believing something exists does not make it exist.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

Indeed and in this case that is all that matters. I would not care if other people do not share my beliefs.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Can a blind person point at an object ?Most blind people have some form of vision but suppose they did not - they can point at where they believe the object is - if that is inaccurate then that is because of their failing eyesight but not because the object is not there.... I think?"

The simple definition of blind IS unable to see / without sight

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well erm yes! Obviously.

Obvious to who ?"

They can point at it if they know its there but if you where to say put them in a strange room and ask them to point at say the light switch how could they?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wouldn't say that something can exist simply by people believing in it. However people can have faith, and that faith can 'exist'.

It may be that we can't then prove or disprove if that faith has any substance, but until we can do either it's not irrational for people to retain faith in those things.

For me the issue of religion isn't to do so much with faith, but more the methods by which that faith is practised.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

A belief is not a fact.

Simply believing something exists does not make it exist. "

A belief that something exists/ holds true is not a fact - neither is its opposite.

Believing something MAY mean it is true in absolute terms but it does not matter to the believer if other people dispute this.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

A belief is not a fact.

Simply believing something exists does not make it exist. "

again i disagree..

to those that 'believe' the rituals and traditions are very real..

even the misguided ones who blow themselves up believed in their own religion..

so whilst to myself and also other none believers, these things are not fact..

to those who do etc etc...

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Can a blind person point at an object ?Most blind people have some form of vision but suppose they did not - they can point at where they believe the object is - if that is inaccurate then that is because of their failing eyesight but not because the object is not there.... I think?

The simple definition of blind IS unable to see / without sight

"

Definition of blind is not about not seeing anything - in fact most registered blind people do have some albeit severely impaired vision.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well erm yes! Obviously.

Obvious to who ?

They can point at it if they know its there but if you where to say put them in a strange room and ask them to point at say the light switch how could they? "

Whether they know it's there or not is irrelevant. If they CAN point, it is therefore possible they MAY be able to point at something. That may be by chance or by design, but it's still POSSIBLE that they can.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Sightless is having a maximal visual accuity of the better eye after correction of 1/10th of normal vision or less - equates over 20/200 or less on the Snellen test.

Reply privately

By *aster of a mindCouple
over a year ago

York

"Oh the Irony and Hypocrisy....

"

There are a lot of people who find comfort in religion, organised or not.

I heard a ood saying the other day

" Those that on't hear the music, think that those who dance are insane"

There are enough people who don't hear the swinging music, maybe those on here who critisise religion don't here that music!!

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

A belief is not a fact.

again i disagree..

to those who do etc etc..."

I hear what you are saying. I understand what you are saying. I can only repeat.... Simply because someone believes something does not make that something a fact or a truth or real.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Consider this for me.

A man is in a room. Someone he trusts tells him that if he leaves the room he will be shot by the sniper outside the door.

The man never leaves the room for fear of being shot.

The truth is that there is no sniper behind the door.

I accept that to the man that believed there was a sniper the sniper was VERY real in his head.

None the less.... the sniper was not a universal truth or a fact or indeed existent.

Reply privately

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"Sightless is having a maximal visual accuity of the better eye after correction of 1/10th of normal vision or less - equates over 20/200 or less on the Snellen test. "

that is important in terms of defining legal blindness, but it can also relate to the degree of peripheral vision as with macular degeneration ,i think it is anything below 20 deg of normality is classed as blindness.

Reply privately

By *igSuki81Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

This topic is sooooo topsy turvey

Here's an idea & i'll leave it to all you guys & girls to decide what you wish to do.

If someone believes in a religion & as long as they dont shove it down your throat why not show some respect and accept that it is thier belief. Even if you don't believe in a god or higher entity does it hurt that much to RESPECT someone elses beliefs?

Oh and just an after thought if you say god doesn't exist and keep telling a religous believer that its wrong and there is no god then whats the difference between you and the religous nuts who force thier views on to others???

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Consider this for me.

A man is in a room. Someone he trusts tells him that if he leaves the room he will be shot by the sniper outside the door.

I accept that to the man that believed there was a sniper the sniper was VERY real in his head.

None the less.... the sniper was not a universal truth or a fact or indeed existent. "

And yet the faith was real.

Now could you prove that another sniper would not have come along in the meantime and have been outside at the time had they happened to take the chance to check?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"This topic is sooooo topsy turvey

Here's an idea & i'll leave it to all you guys & girls to decide what you wish to do.

If someone believes in a religion & as long as they dont shove it down your throat why not show some respect and accept that it is thier belief. Even if you don't believe in a god or higher entity does it hurt that much to RESPECT someone elses beliefs?

Oh and just an after thought if you say god doesn't exist and keep telling a religous believer that its wrong and there is no god then whats the difference between you and the religous nuts who force thier views on to others??? "

I could not have worded this better myself. At the end of the day it is about respect as much as anything.

Reply privately

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"This topic is sooooo topsy turvey

Oh and just an after thought if you say god doesn't exist and keep telling a religous believer that its wrong and there is no god then whats the difference between you and the religous nuts who force thier views on to others??? "

class post !

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Your comment supports precisely what im saying.

Faith does not make what you have faith in real.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Consider this for me.

None the less.... the sniper was not a universal truth or a fact or indeed existent.

Now could you prove that another sniper would not have come along in the meantime and have been outside at the time had they happened to take the chance to check?"

Also worth considering

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Your comment supports precisely what im saying.

Faith does not make what you have faith in real. "

It is real for that person - and that is all that matters when we are discussing one person's belief. It is a relational concept between the believer and the object (in want of a better word) of his belief.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Your comment supports precisely what im saying.

Faith does not make what you have faith in real. "

I agree too, but I think you may have missed my broader point which is that simply because something can not be proven to be 'real' does not mean it is not. The only things we can prove are of our own understanding.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

A belief is not a fact.

again i disagree..

to those who do etc etc...

I hear what you are saying. I understand what you are saying. I can only repeat.... Simply because someone believes something does not make that something a fact or a truth or real. "

would agree to a none believer who requires proof, yes thats true..

but then again lol..

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm of faith and darn proud of it. If that makes me a 'lesser' person or a 'gullible fool' then consider me a gullible fool My faith matters more to me than a random opinion on a message board. Live and let live, I say, debate is good but there's no need for people to get snarky and nasty about things that are so personal to another Love Ned Flandiddlyanders x

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Consider this for me.

Now could you prove that another sniper would not have come along in the meantime and have been outside at the time had they happened to take the chance to check?"

No i cannot prove that a sniper would not have come along. So therefore I WONT claim that a sniper exists.

Reply privately

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

surely context also plays a hand in belief structures ,remember we once believed the world flat..it was a genuine belief,born of ignorance.

Religions develop even as societies change,i dont think anyone would seriously believe a omnipotent god made the world in 6 days and rested on the seventh.

But at the time the belief was and ids genuine therefor regardless of truth ,the faith is real to the people who believe it .

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/02/13 21:02:59]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am an atheist but fully respect everyone's choice in their lives and find religion "interesting" in many ways....however, I have lived amongst groups of differing religions and have to say some of the biggest hypocrites I have ever met have been the most "religious"!

I don't live a "christian life", I live by morals that were instilled from childhood and morals I believe are common sense as opposed to being from a religious background.

What I don't like and get annoyed by is having people knock on my door to tell me about their religion (if it is that good we would all have "found it and be following it" and I don't go knocking on their doors to rejoice in Atheism!); banner waving religious types saying my beliefs etc have offended them (well some of their behaviour and customs offend me but I am not in the street saying up the Atheists!);Those that go to church on a sunday just to be seen as an upstanding citizen!

In life I have found the most genuine religious people to be those that just get on with their lives quietly and honour their religion in private

xx

Reply privately