Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Skin removal on NHS

Jump to newest

By *B9 Queen OP   Woman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Currently the NHS will perform bariatric surgery but, once the weight is lost, will not surgically remove the excess skin.

Why? It makes no sense to me. They say it is 'cosmetic' yet they also will reduce the size of women's breasts, and have been known to 'pin back' someone's ears - a friend of mine had this done as a teenager.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

[Removed by poster at 19/02/13 08:51:42]

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Currently the NHS will perform bariatric surgery but, once the weight is lost, will not surgically remove the excess skin.

Why? It makes no sense to me. They say it is 'cosmetic' yet they also will reduce the size of women's breasts, and have been known to 'pin back' someone's ears - a friend of mine had this done as a teenager."

Bariatric surgery is only done as a last resort, when the risk of death by doing nothing outweighs the risk of the surgery itself, and even that is a contentious issue when funds are limited. There just isn't the money to do the tidy up after the weight loss unless there is a significant medical need for it. Also the risk of infection and complications with those type of surgical procedures is quite high and another reason not to be done for cosmetic purposes.

I am at present losing weight by exercise and diet, but I am aware that I will still be left with saggy skin afterwards, but I wouldn't expect the NHS to literally take up (or remove) the slack even if my appearance still troubled me. In an ideal world where funds were limitless then maybe, but that just isn't going to happen.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I think if you can prove that it has a detrimental effect in your health or mental health then you can get it in the nhs.

Or just go in embarrassing bodies and they will arrange it for you

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I think the NHS has a cheek.

I ballooned two sizes over the last year and they wouldn't replace my entire wardrobe!

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

They only reduce breast sizes for health reasons too...chronic back pain, mostly. They won't just do it because you fancy a pert pair of 34C's !

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

People can get it done privately.

over a year ago

In an ideal world this type of surgery would be offered on the NHS, but at present services are being slashed due to funding cuts. The NHS needs to stop health tourism, they also new to start charging EU nationals for care. If I fall ill and visit a doctor or have an accident whilst in Europe I get a bill that i have to pay. Visit a Doctor in Europe you hav to pay but when anyone comes over here it's free.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

You can get the excess skin removed from the stomach and breasts on the nhs, and you dont have to have lost that much weight to have it done. I know around six people that have had it done. You have to wait until around six months after loosing weight to prove that is what you are going to maintain at

over a year ago

I feel for people that work so hard but are then left with saggy skin, it must be demoralising.

I don't think the NHS should cover weight loss, but after they've done the work it could make sense to help in cases like this if it then makes it less likely that they bounce back.

over a year ago

I've lost 8 stone and I'm

Left with saggy skin, I lost the weight by myself, the nhs won't touch it! Yet had I gone to them

For a stomach bypass/staples they'd have done it! X

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"In an ideal world this type of surgery would be offered on the NHS, but at present services are being slashed due to funding cuts. The NHS needs to stop health tourism, they also new to start charging EU nationals for care. If I fall ill and visit a doctor or have an accident whilst in Europe I get a bill that i have to pay. Visit a Doctor in Europe you hav to pay but when anyone comes over here it's free.

"

I totally agree about the medical tourism, happens far too frequently.

over a year ago

"In an ideal world this type of surgery would be offered on the NHS, but at present services are being slashed due to funding cuts. The NHS needs to stop health tourism, they also new to start charging EU nationals for care. If I fall ill and visit a doctor or have an accident whilst in Europe I get a bill that i have to pay. Visit a Doctor in Europe you hav to pay but when anyone comes over here it's free.

"

That is not true actually! You can freely access the National Health Service of any European Member State as long as you have your passport. It is only private medical care you have to pay, same as in the UK.

By *B9 Queen OP   Woman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"I've lost 8 stone and I'm

Left with saggy skin, I lost the weight by myself, the nhs won't touch it! Yet had I gone to them

For a stomach bypass/staples they'd have done it! X"

That's the thing - reports I have seen and read have all said that they won't. I understand what people are saying but leaving people with saggy skin seems perverse. I know it is not life-threatening - but neither is my arthritis yet I can get treatment for it on the NHS if it gets worse. It is about quality of life really.

over a year ago

That is not true actually! You can freely access the National Health Service of any European Member State as long as you have your passport. It is only private medical care you have to pay, same as in the UK."

Correct

over a year ago

"I've lost 8 stone and I'm

For a stomach bypass/staples they'd have done it! X

That's the thing - reports I have seen and read have all said that they won't. I understand what people are saying but leaving people with saggy skin seems perverse. I know it is not life-threatening - but neither is my arthritis yet I can get treatment for it on the NHS if it gets worse. It is about quality of life really."

It will vary from trust to trust and region to region I presume. They'll all have their own budgets to work to and obviously things will have to be prioritised in each.

Some will have more in the coffers than others so may well be able to offer this type of service, whereas others who are financially struggling won't as, however unpleasant it is for the individual, there will be more pressing areas that need funding.

By *ombshellWoman
over a year ago

islington

had gastric by pass in 2009, followed by tummy tuck in 2011 curtesy of NHS, boob job was refused a year later cos of the cut-backs so went private in Poland ...

By *ombshellWoman
over a year ago

islington

and lost almost 14 stone ..

over a year ago

"Currently the NHS will perform bariatric surgery but, once the weight is lost, will not surgically remove the excess skin.

Why? It makes no sense to me. They say it is 'cosmetic' yet they also will reduce the size of women's breasts, and have been known to 'pin back' someone's ears - a friend of mine had this done as a teenager."

It seems harsh but the NHS like all tax payer funded services have less money due to the recession. If it was a choice between excess skin removal or the money going on a hip operation for an oap or expensive drugs to keep a cancer patient alive which would you choose to give the funds to?

over a year ago

"had gastric by pass in 2009, followed by tummy tuck in 2011 curtesy of NHS, boob job was refused a year later cos of the cut-backs so went private in Poland ... "

That is what's wrong I think. That if you can afford to go private why expect the tax payer to cover the cost for you

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/02/13 13:42:21]

By *ombshellWoman
over a year ago

islington

when I had my by-pass we were all told we had 3 skin removal follow-up operations which were then cut to 1..leaving a lot of people 'hanging' literally.

I couldn't afford to go private! I'm a student.. worked my butt off all summer to pay for it.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

I provide a free skin removal service in my cellar. However, I choose who has their skin removed.

over a year ago

My sister had a boob job on the NHS, because if was affecting her mentally, she had a bad burn when she was two that ment she had to have a skin grafts on her neck and chest and because of this her boobs didnt grow properly, when she was 21 she was given a boob job

You can get anything on the NHS is its needed, having a boob job to get more topless work isnt needed but if its affecting your mental state they will give you one

over a year ago

"when I had my by-pass we were all told we had 3 skin removal follow-up operations which were then cut to 1..leaving a lot of people 'hanging' literally.

I couldn't afford to go private! I'm a student.. worked my butt off all summer to pay for it. "

So you could afford it by working. The same as anything else people want that costs money they have to save up for it.

By *ombshellWoman
over a year ago

islington

"My sister had a boob job on the NHS, because if was affecting her mentally, she had a bad burn when she was two that ment she had to have a skin grafts on her neck and chest and because of this her boobs didnt grow properly, when she was 21 she was given a boob job

You can get anything on the NHS is its needed, having a boob job to get more topless work isnt needed but if its affecting your mental state they will give you one"

sorry I hasten to disagree but the nhs don't!

By *ombshellWoman
over a year ago

islington

"when I had my by-pass we were all told we had 3 skin removal follow-up operations which were then cut to 1..leaving a lot of people 'hanging' literally.

I couldn't afford to go private! I'm a student.. worked my butt off all summer to pay for it.

So you could afford it by working. The same as anything else people want that costs money they have to save up for it. "

Like everyone yes! but nhs shouldn't tell you you can have this and that then cant deliver....

over a year ago

So you could afford it by working. The same as anything else people want that costs money they have to save up for it.

Like everyone yes! but nhs shouldn't tell you you can have this and that then cant deliver...."

your right they shouldnt, i think this happens a lot too

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Interesting question.

I d say it all depends on the individual circumstances - there is of course the need for a balance to be found between available funds and patients' needs. I can well imagine scenarios where it would be very appropriate to fund gastric surgery as well as the excess skin removal. I do not have a problem with people obtaining this service on the NHS and I gladly pay for this through my contributions.

As with most things it is not black and white and clear cut; I believe life saving operations should/ would be a priority over anything cosmetic but cosmetic does not mean the patient's need is not important. Eaach case on its own merits.

over a year ago

Think it is a bit of a post code lottery. I was going to have a band fitted. But moved one area over and then couldn't have it done.

So I have to do it myself. But I think that's for the better.

over a year ago

Like everyone yes! but nhs shouldn't tell you you can have this and that then cant deliver...."

So you got the main operation that you "needed" but the other cosmetic stuff isn't as important really so they have to cut costs. There is plenty of people out there that would love to change the appearance of parts of there body but can't afford to do it so they live with it.

The surgery you had originally could of been prevented if it had been dealt with a long time ago so it is totally different to what some one above mentioned we're it was done because of a burn when a child.

over a year ago

I think it should be the same rule across the country. Postcode lottery is just wrong, no matter what the operation is.

I'm undecided about weight loss surgery and cosmetic surgery for weight loss patients being paid for by the NHS. I can see both sides.

over a year ago

My sister had her boobs done on the nhs,she had abnormally large breasts and is very petite...she had to wait 3 years and was saving herself as it was causing her a lot of discomfort.

I think if they are going to do the op on the nhs then finish it off,no good leaving the skin.

Post new Message to Thread