Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Meeting the parents

Jump to newest

By *he_original_polo OP   Woman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Was meeting the parents a big deal when you were/are dating?

Was it different when you were younger to what you'd do now?

Was every new girlfriend/boyfriend just dragged through the house like bringing in shopping or was it a big event?

Did you wait to be sure they were perfect before letting your mum/dad anywhere near them or was it no biggy?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I must have been lucky. All my girlfriends' parents really liked me ........... except the one I actually married.

Her Dad wasn't too bad but her Mum ............

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My mum only met two, the first guy i lived with and my ex husband. Since then though shes met them all.

Callum just brings them to see me willy nilly and then they disappear of the planet.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Some have met my parents... Some have not.

The last guy I was dating met my parents they took us out for a slap up meal and spent £150 on it. 2 weeks later he dumped me by text. I was pissed off as my parents had spent so much money on a meal. Its a standing joke now that when they meet my future partner its a 2for10 job..

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

When you were younger it was called going round for tea.

"She seems like a nice girl. When are you bringing her home for tea"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Was meeting the parents a big deal when you were/are dating?

Was every new girlfriend/boyfriend just dragged through the house like bringing in shopping or was it a big event?

Did you wait to be sure they were perfect before letting your mum/dad anywhere near them or was it no biggy?"

My Dad who is no longer with us, was very strict and any boyfriend I took to the house a/I had to be pretty sure of and b/warn them they would be interrogated by my father!

over a year ago

Did you wait to be sure they were perfect before letting your mum/dad anywhere near them or was it no biggy?

My Dad who is no longer with us, was very strict and any boyfriend I took to the house a/I had to be pretty sure of and b/warn them they would be interrogated by my father!

"

My eldest daughter is almost 16 and I'll admit, I'm the same way when she introduces any boy to me.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I dont like leaving my mum and jay on their own without me as they plot against me and then corner me together

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

wonder if its different for boys and girls callum was a bit late he didnt bring the first one home until he was nearly 18 but made up for it since

over a year ago

My mum is nosey and would interrogate any man i told her about so ive never introduced any partner to her..

Ive never got to the 'meet the parents stage' with anyone. Id be very nervous though incase i wasnt good enough for their son

over a year ago

It is still a big deal for me got soooo nervous meeting Silks Mum and Sister for the first time. I had sweaty palms and was freaking out on the way there but as soon as i had settled in i was fine. The nerves were far worse then the actual meeting and luckily for me Silks family are lovely and like me.

MissD x

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

'was it different to when I was younger to what I do now?'

This Q cracks me up ......

I'd have to dig their parents up ....

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

i had to go to austria and attempt to learn a foreign language to meet my ex's parents

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"i had to go to austria and attempt to learn a foreign language to meet my ex's parents "

Did the dad have an unhealthy interest in getting you down a cellar ?

over a year ago

I wasn't allowed boyfriends as a teen,and have tried everything possible to avoid my mother with any potential partner since.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"i had to go to austria and attempt to learn a foreign language to meet my ex's parents

Did the dad have an unhealthy interest in getting you down a cellar ?"

haha nope

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

met the girlfriend of 23 year old son for the first time a few weeks ago .. tried to make it a relaxed experience and all went bowling on the afternoon followed by a meal at the local beefeater .. think it went quite well

over a year ago

God my dad made it really awkward for J he was so protective of me, and hated what J looked like.

But 4 kids and 26 yrs later he has finally excepted him.

over a year ago

Not ashamed to admit that I was scared shitless meeting crystal's parents but it was totally unfounded as we get on fine. I think crystal was also scared, as it mattered to both of us that they liked me. As I'm estranged from my family she gets it easy!

I have had a few classics with ex's. One of my ex's her mother was a lesbian who took me on a tour of Brighton's gay bars to see how I coped as her only fear was that her daughter would unintentionally date a homophobe!

over a year ago

I knew I made a big mistake with one gent as there was no way I would have introduced him to my mum as she'd have a fit!

over a year ago

"'was it different to when I was younger to what I do now?'

This Q cracks me up ......

I'd have to dig their parents up ...."

I was trying to cater for all ages....not just the Jerry-hat-tricks.

over a year ago

I've never really done the making it a big deal thing and I guess it's because my parents never tried to make a big deal out of it when I was younger. It was just like any other friend coming to the house..... no standing on ceremony. They got to know boyfriends over time in a natural sort of way and trusted my judgement to kick them into touch if they turned out to be a dickhead.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

never met any

over a year ago

"never met any "

I would have introduced you to mine......... the for the laugh of it

over a year ago

No

No

Shopping

No biggie....

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"never met any "

my mum would love you ive told her about this queen that i have for a friend in scotland lol

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I dont thing its something to make a huge issue about, its something that you do....

over a year ago

Did you wait to be sure they were perfect before letting your mum/dad anywhere near them or was it no biggy?"

Very different now to when younger as I am not intimidated these days. Though it can be a little awkward if I am only a few years younger than the parents.

over a year ago

My parents loved it because it afforded them a chance to embarrass! Years ago I brought a lass back and my mum (who isn't remotely religious) started singing hymns and pretending it was normal. That same week she cornered my little sister's 14yr old boyfriend and started asking the poor kid if he thought she was fat. My mum is, indeed, undeniably rotund so he stuttered and spluttered quite a bit...

Post new Message to Thread