Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Green Shoots of Recovery

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It appears the threat of a triple dip recession is.. receding.

House repossessions are at their lowest since 2007, the BoE has said there are real signs of recovery and that inflation will be pegged at it's current level for another two years, house prices have shown their first rise in real terms for two years. Unemployment figures for last year up to November were down to just 7.7% - it's lowest since records began in 1971. Some 30m adults are in work, which is half a million more than the same period for the previous year.

Things are on the up.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The employment figures mask the fact that many of the jobs are now part-time and in-work poverty has increased with an increase to the in-work benefits paid.

Yes, there is recovery but it's still winter.

By *c69funCouple
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Maybe it just me but they go on about a triple dip, I don't think we ever got out of the first one.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Maybe it just me but they go on about a triple dip, I don't think we ever got out of the first one."

We came out of technical recession as there have been short, albeit unsustained, periods of growth. I agree that we still haven't recovered from the first of these recessions.

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

just keep Milliband away from government and we have a chance...

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"just keep Milliband away from government and we have a chance..."

Hear Hear!!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

All the talk about about triple dip etc masks the fact cost of living has risen way in excess of most folks income when you get fuel or shop we all see this.

Triple dip figures in real terms mean bugger all to me.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

I am currently working on some research on in-work poverty. The advice agencies are reporting debt cases from those in work have increased threefold, pay-day loans are being used for food and the "poverty premium" is £1,200 a year just on the basics.

Recovery can't come too soon for those people.

over a year ago

"just keep Milliband away from government and we have a chance...

Hear Hear!! "

You cannot seriously believe this crew are doing anymore than looking after the rich hence cut in top rate of tax to help those already loaded.

By *obandruthCouple
over a year ago

wolverhampton

dream on . shops are shuting people are being laid off , and you have a goverment that tells you a load of bull shxx and you beleave them ,

By *eal_Dick_TurpinMan
over a year ago

Exeter

"It appears the threat of a triple dip recession is.. receding.

House repossessions are at their lowest since 2007, the BoE has said there are real signs of recovery and that inflation will be pegged at it's current level for another two years, house prices have shown their first rise in real terms for two years. Unemployment figures for last year up to November were down to just 7.7% - it's lowest since records began in 1971. Some 30m adults are in work, which is half a million more than the same period for the previous year.

Things are on the up. "

In other news, voter gullibility and self denial of real world situations is at an all time high, since record began in 2004, or since the south sea bubble etc whichever floats your boat.

over a year ago

"dream on . shops are shuting people are being laid off , and you have a goverment that tells you a load of bull shxx and you beleave them , "

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

Hear Hear!!

You cannot seriously believe this crew are doing anymore than looking after the rich hence cut in top rate of tax to help those already loaded."

The rich are rich, they will get richer, or leave the country and take their money with them.

The current crew are politicians, therefore not to be trusted, but I would rather have the current lot than Milliband and Balls (up). Balls helped drive the train into the buffers and was more intent on stabbing Brown in the back than actually doing a job in the treasury. Milliband has all the redeeming features of a six month old lump of cheese down the back of the sofa.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Meanwhile.....Waiting times in hospital casualty departments are at a Ten year high, with average waiting times before casualties are seen rising from an average of 2 hours 13 minutes in 2010 to 4 hours and 5 minutes in the last three months of 2012.....

over a year ago

I read the thread title and thought he had been looking in my garden d'oh lol

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"It appears the threat of a triple dip recession is.. receding.

Things are on the up. "

However bad or stunted the recovery is, I love news like this. I cannot stand how every piece of news information always sides on the negative. It simply does not instil any regard of a recovery when 'news' constantly reports the negatives even when there has been good signs.

1 VOTE FOR WISHY, FOR CORRESPONDENT FOR THE YEAR HERE.!

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

Although on a technicality we came out of the 2nd recession, the only reason for that quarter showing any growth was the combined effect of The Olympics, The Paralympics and The Queens Jubilee Celebrations. To be frank, if we couldn't show a positive quarter with all that going on at the same time, we had no chance.

As soon as the next quarter's results arrived we were back in negative growth again.

It's true that the BOE suggest that there are some green shoots, though the unemployment/employment figures mask whats really happening and house prices often rise in the spring falling back in the autumn and national figures mask what is happening in regions in any event. The problem is that BOE forecasts have proven to be as reliable as government forecasts whomever has been in power. The economy is so frail at the moment that a light breeze would easily knock it off balance again.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

NEWS FLASH!!!!!

Government scientists are reporting cases of excessive gullibility are at a record high......

The Science Minster said,,,,"If some people had twice the brains they have now....they would still be a half wit"

over a year ago

Hear Hear!!

You cannot seriously believe this crew are doing anymore than looking after the rich hence cut in top rate of tax to help those already loaded.

The rich are rich, they will get richer, or leave the country and take their money with them.

The current crew are politicians, therefore not to be trusted, but I would rather have the current lot than Milliband and Balls (up). Balls helped drive the train into the buffers and was more intent on stabbing Brown in the back than actually doing a job in the treasury. Milliband has all the redeeming features of a six month old lump of cheese down the back of the sofa."

I am not a milliband fan but a labour man i go for the parties that to me generally try look after more than just the well off thatscwhy in part will never vote tory. When the bankers fucked things up causing the crisis all parties were guilty of letting things slide.

Now there is chance to hit the bankers the tories are not strong enough to deal with mates in the city.

Even as we speak rbs i think it is whom the taxpayers own the majority of it are thinking of giving bonuses out. Rewarding failure is disgraceful. When labour were in power yes mistakes made but at time of recession caused by bankers things were in place that kept folk in work to a point. I remember the days when due to incompetence by tories in particular lamont interest rates went up more than once in same day wiping out thousands of businesses straight away. So i do not acceot tories can ve trusted on economy unless you already well off.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"

I am not a milliband fan but a labour man i go for the parties that to me generally try look after more than just the well off thatscwhy in part will never vote tory. When the bankers fucked things up causing the crisis all parties were guilty of letting things slide.

Now there is chance to hit the bankers the tories are not strong enough to deal with mates in the city.

Even as we speak rbs i think it is whom the taxpayers own the majority of it are thinking of giving bonuses out. Rewarding failure is disgraceful. When labour were in power yes mistakes made but at time of recession caused by bankers things were in place that kept folk in work to a point. I remember the days when due to incompetence by tories in particular lamont interest rates went up more than once in same day wiping out thousands of businesses straight away. So i do not acceot tories can ve trusted on economy unless you already well off.

"

You realise Labout had 13 yrs to regulat the banking industry and never bothered. Ball actually encouaged banks to be more 'feeelance' in how they acquired money.

The recession was not the fault of the bankers, it was the lack of regulation that allowed them to put vast amount of monies into mortages that were simply not viable.

That added to the biggest borrowing figures out of war time. When the economy was grossing its highest!

That and departments set up to spend treasury money on agencies that were wholey uncesessary.

That and spending billions on projectsthat were ill fated.

The incompetence of the Labour government if written down at lenght would be a book titles 'How to fuck up at everything in one go'.

One lax and incompetent govt.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

And to add. The 50p tax rate was only in place for 30 days (I believe) just as Labour were getting voted out. Before that, it was as it stands now - as the 45p rate... throughout the entire term of the Labour Govt!

(correct me pls if im wrong)

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

"i go for the parties that to me generally try look after more than just the well off thatscwhy in part will never vote tory. When the bankers fucked things up causing the crisis all parties were guilty of letting things slide.

"

You do realise that Labour were up the bankers rear ends, and depiste being told repeatedly to get on the case with the banks, the didn't?

"

"

So if we "hit the banks" then the banks jobs go as well and we are really stuffed?

"

"

This recession came out of the US, we should have been well placed to deal with it, after all the economy was doing well, wasn't it? Erm, no it wasn't, Brown moved the goal posts on borrowing, then borrowed more, so when the wheels came off, he had no scope for anything.

We NEED RBS more than RBS needs Britain, if it moved lock stock and barrel it would be welcomed with open arms in the Gulf or China or India.

Labour claim to be the party of the working class, they havn't been for a generation. They are (like all parties) more interested in getting elected than actually doing the dirty jobs that need doing.

over a year ago

"just keep Milliband away from government and we have a chance..."

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

"Meanwhile.....Waiting times in hospital casualty departments are at a Ten year high, with average waiting times before casualties are seen rising from an average of 2 hours 13 minutes in 2010 to 4 hours and 5 minutes in the last three months of 2012.....

"

Aha!! That can't be true,Dave's Tory party promised the NHS would be ringfenced.

hence no cuts to services,or budgets,whilst he was in power,and as we all well know,Dave never lies .

Although his nose does seem decidedly bigger now,than when he came to power hmmmmmmmmm I wonder.

Post new Message to Thread