Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Freeview/digi box

Jump to newest

By *riendlyfunfem OP   Woman
over a year ago

A world of my own

I'm looking for a cheap one for my kitchen/dining room portable TV so I don't need anything fancy or expensive, just a basic one, whats the cheapest you've seen/bought? The silence when cooking/eating is driving me mad already

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

£16.00 out of Asda

By *artin216Man
over a year ago

Spilsby

"£16.00 out of Asda"

seen some for £9 in Asda but that was a few months ago....you dont need to pay more than 20 for them nowadays..

over a year ago

A world of my own

I have a good one in bedroom and living room TV is cable so £9 for kitchen would be great, I'll go have a look in Asda, thanks

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

A wee bit of advice for what it's worth.

Although they all do the same basic thing, the way they work with regard to moving about the menus etc can vary, and if it was me, I wouldn't go for the very cheapest.

We've got 2 that I got out of Lidl or Aldi, and although they do the basic job, they're very slow when you're checking the guide/listings for instance, and in some other areas too, like the amount of info that the guide/listing gives.

I'm about to replace one of them and I'll be going to the cheapest and then moving up a few quid. You can also get a lot of feedback on various websites. Once you come across one you fancy, put it's details into Google, name and model number, and see if it comes up on any selling sites and see if they have buyer reviews. They can be very useful!

over a year ago

A wee bit of advice for what it's worth.

Although they all do the same basic thing, the way they work with regard to moving about the menus etc can vary, and if it was me, I wouldn't go for the very cheapest.

We've got 2 that I got out of Lidl or Aldi, and although they do the basic job, they're very slow when you're checking the guide/listings for instance, and in some other areas too, like the amount of info that the guide/listing gives.

I'm about to replace one of them and I'll be going to the cheapest and then moving up a few quid. You can also get a lot of feedback on various websites. Once you come across one you fancy, put it's details into Google, name and model number, and see if it comes up on any selling sites and see if they have buyer reviews. They can be very useful!

over a year ago

They're £16 in asda at the moment, cheapest we've seen them was £14.99 and that was in argos.

over a year ago

The secret to a reliable digital picture is a good signal from the aerial. Chose a good quality digital compatible aerial and you won't have a problem, avoid splitting an aerial signal, it'll only lead to problems - 1 aerial per box OR 1 aerial fed into a good quality amplifier if you are using a multi room system.

Some boxes are more tolerant to poor signal than others, but start at base level with a good signal and you'll be fine

over a year ago

A world of my own

@ Glaswegian, thanks, but as its just for the kitchen basic is fine, I just use it for a bit of background when cooking/eating and news etc so won't be bothered about much programme info etc.

over a year ago

A world of my own

@ redhotcouple, thanks, the aerial info is noted I do need a new one actually.

over a year ago

check what u buy tho, mine isnt compatible with the digital change over.

A mate who's an ariel guy told me not all digi boxes have a memory good enough so wont store everything.

apparently lots of people have had to buy new ones

Post new Message to Thread