Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should call centers be band

Jump to newest

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

Recently lost a relative, so I've been Pouncing on the phone when it rings.

I've had 9 in 4 hours aready.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Register on the TPS website and after a couple of weeks there will be no calls

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

we have joined tps a while ago but it doesnt help how can you report a company when they withhold the number and dont say what company it is

over a year ago

How about we keep call centres but only allow them to take incoming calls……

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

Been reg with TPS for years, Most call centers are outside the uk so thier not controled by english law.

I don't think I'm rasist but 90% are asian who speak english but don't understand english.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

It has worked well for us

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"How about we keep call centres but only allow them to take incoming calls…… "

lol

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

TPS helped me. But you can also help yourself by not giving unecessary people your details,address, phone, email etc. They are used to compile lists which are then sold to these companys. If you return goods to a shop they will often ask you for your name, address, post code etc. There is no legal obligation for you to give this information although they will tell you that its a requirement to get a refund, that is a lie. Did they ask for your details when they sold you an item ? you can tell them that you will give your details so long as the store manager provides their personal details, which they wont. Once you give your info these people can use it anyway they want which will never be in your interests.

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"we have joined tps a while ago but it doesnt help how can you report a company when they withhold the number and dont say what company it is"

I have caller ID although some are withheld the others with numbers are calling repeatedly three or four times a day. it's got to the point now where the ringer is off an answer phone on. phones pretty much useless now.

over a year ago

"Been reg with TPS for years, Most call centers are outside the uk so thier not controled by english law.

I don't think I'm rasist but 90% are asian who speak english but don't understand english."

I think you may find that if they are calling on behalf of or as employees of a UK firm then they are most definitely regulated by UK laws.

By *kin BohnerMan
over a year ago

derby

I get the same on my mobile. I now save the numbers in the 'phone book' under "do not answer", that way I don't mistakenly answer them. Never answer a withheld numbers and other numbers not in my 'phone book' get sent to answer phone.

One called the other day, I picked the phone up without my glasses on (doh) it looked like a name but turned out to be a short number... I'm sorry to say I lost my temper and told em where to go. Don't normally do that as the person on the other end is just doing a job. Still, they have not called back...

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"TPS helped me. But you can also help yourself by not giving unecessary people your details,address, phone, email etc. They are used to compile lists which are then sold to these companys. If you return goods to a shop they will often ask you for your name, address, post code etc. There is no legal obligation for you to give this information although they will tell you that its a requirement to get a refund, that is a lie. Did they ask for your details when they sold you an item ? you can tell them that you will give your details so long as the store manager provides their personal details, which they wont. Once you give your info these people can use it anyway they want which will never be in your interests."

Thanks, I was aware of that I have a junk email add which I use when I buy anything.

over a year ago

I only have a mobile running android and have avast installed, with that you can block calls.

I have my phone set to block all calls/txt messages from anyone that isn't in my contact list

You can get machines to do it for land line numbers, one is called DIGITONE Call Blocker 10™ but about £70

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"I get the same on my mobile. I now save the numbers in the 'phone book' under "do not answer", that way I don't mistakenly answer them. Never answer a withheld numbers and other numbers not in my 'phone book' get sent to answer phone.

One called the other day, I picked the phone up without my glasses on (doh) it looked like a name but turned out to be a short number... I'm sorry to say I lost my temper and told em where to go. Don't normally do that as the person on the other end is just doing a job. Still, they have not called back... "

I looked into that Most Mobile phone service providers have a call blocking system using the * key and a code direct from your phone, but it doen't apply on land lines.

over a year ago

I answer the call, and put the phone next to tv, and then leave it.

After a few calls from the same call centre they will note you as a timewaster, and red flag your number.

Prob the only time I'm happy to be called a timewaster lol

By *weetdebWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

TPS has worked for me but the last 2 weeks im having a load of calls from the same number,i googled the number and its a company called vanquis that deal with bloody ppi claims ,,arrgghhh..as mentioned in another post then tps cannot regulate everyone but if you go to their website and click on "still getting calls" there is a link for the ICO..information commissioners office..always worth filling in a quick form as the more that complain then they may take action,,,also if you are having these scam texts you can forward them to your service provider on 7726 and they will deal with them

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"I only have a mobile running android and have avast installed, with that you can block calls.

I have my phone set to block all calls/txt messages from anyone that isn't in my contact list

You can get machines to do it for land line numbers, one is called DIGITONE Call Blocker 10™ but about £70"

No offence but I can't afford an Android phone let alone £70, I perfer old mobiles because the battery last a whole week even using it every day.

But thanks for the tip.

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"TPS has worked for me but the last 2 weeks im having a load of calls from the same number,i googled the number and its a company called vanquis that deal with bloody ppi claims ,,arrgghhh..as mentioned in another post then tps cannot regulate everyone but if you go to their website and click on "still getting calls" there is a link for the ICO..information commissioners office..always worth filling in a quick form as the more that complain then they may take action,,,also if you are having these scam texts you can forward them to your service provider on 7726 and they will deal with them"

vanquis is a credit card company, you must owe them

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

"I have caller ID although some are withheld"

We have "Call baring" meaning the caller must release their number prior to calling us.

We pay an additional monthly fee with our VM package, in all the years we've had it, not once have we thought about cancelling it.

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"TPS has worked for me but the last 2 weeks im having a load of calls from the same number,i googled the number and its a company called vanquis that deal with bloody ppi claims ,,arrgghhh..as mentioned in another post then tps cannot regulate everyone but if you go to their website and click on "still getting calls" there is a link for the ICO..information commissioners office..always worth filling in a quick form as the more that complain then they may take action,,,also if you are having these scam texts you can forward them to your service provider on 7726 and they will deal with them"

Thanks I will look into that. I had looked up the numbers on line, and found hundereds of complaints from other people all over the country.

There is a systen called Voip which is Voice over internet provider, IE using your PC to make phone calls with which you put in the number your calling "from" So the ID comes up with a false number.

By *weetdebWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

"TPS has worked for me but the last 2 weeks im having a load of calls from the same number,i googled the number and its a company called vanquis that deal with bloody ppi claims ,,arrgghhh..as mentioned in another post then tps cannot regulate everyone but if you go to their website and click on "still getting calls" there is a link for the ICO..information commissioners office..always worth filling in a quick form as the more that complain then they may take action,,,also if you are having these scam texts you can forward them to your service provider on 7726 and they will deal with them

vanquis is a credit card company, you must owe them"

Lol....everytime i answer they ask if i am Mrs jones ,i say no but they then go into the ppi claim patter...they are indian callers but when i googled the number this morning it sain they were on the pest calling list and they were a company called Vanquis???

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Vanquis are a bank that offer Credit cards at high rates to people who need to build up or improve a credit rating...

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"I have caller ID although some are withheld

We have "Call baring" meaning the caller must release their number prior to calling us.

We pay an additional monthly fee with our VM package, in all the years we've had it, not once have we thought about cancelling it."

Big problem, Hospitals, Doctors all emergencies services with hold thier numbers, found out the hard way.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Oh...and Vanquis call centres are UK based

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Spit my coffe all over my iPad with this comment. Image room full of people diving for phone if it ever rang

By *weetdebWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

"Vanquis are a bank that offer Credit cards at high rates to people who need to build up or improve a credit rating..."

Well the guy this morning just asked me about PPI...when i googled number there are forums with 100s of complaints about this number,,,anyway iv reported it to the TPS

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"How about we keep call centres but only allow them to take incoming calls……

Spit my coffe all over my iPad with this comment. Image room full of people diving for phone if it ever rang "

I cracked up when I read this comment, Nice one.

over a year ago

"I only have a mobile running android and have avast installed, with that you can block calls.

You can get machines to do it for land line numbers, one is called DIGITONE Call Blocker 10™ but about £70

No offence but I can't afford an Android phone let alone £70, I perfer old mobiles because the battery last a whole week even using it every day.

But thanks for the tip."

None taken and yes I can see your point about the battery lasting longer on an older phone, Mine only lasts 1 day lol

You can get landline phones that have a memory and if the number is in your call list it shows the name, then you can just end the calls from numbers you dont know without even answering it.

They are fairly cheap, argos does one.

At the end of the day we shouldn't have to piss about like this, I think unsolicited calls are a pain and should be banned yes!

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

Wonder if I'd get banned for putting a list of nuisance phone numbers on here.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Register on the TPS website and after a couple of weeks there will be no calls "

Only true if the call centre is based in the U.K.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Probably, and what good would it do?

There are websites for that, Fab isn't one of them.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Wonder if I'd get banned for putting a list of nuisance phone numbers on here. "

Why would you want to?

over a year ago

I just hand the phone to our 5yr old and tell them its Father Christmas. lol

over a year ago

Get a referees whistle.

They soon get the message

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"Wonder if I'd get banned for putting a list of nuisance phone numbers on here.

Why would you want to?"

Your right, just pissed off with the calls, would of been nice to warn others of certain numbers but as some one said this is not the place.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Most people get unwanted/unsolicited phone calls, it's how you react to them and handle them that is all important.

By *exySwing3rsCouple
over a year ago

In Your Hearts

If you have some time on your hand, it's fun taking them on.

Tell them you belong to Jevohas Witnesses and try to covert them

They will probably never call you again.

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"Get a referees whistle.

They soon get the message"

Great idea, but don't do it in a small hallway it's deafning

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I just hand the phone to our 5yr old and tell them its Father Christmas. lol"

Also when I get a text which says "text STOP to stop these messages" at the end, I don't. If you do, they will know your number is active

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Wonder if I'd get banned for putting a list of nuisance phone numbers on here. "

Wonder no more....yes you would

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/02/13 16:20:00]

over a year ago

if it's for PPI ask them if they can pay you

in bacon if you promise not to tell

anyone. It totally throws them.

To my shame i told one to fuck off during a

stressful Saturday morning. He phoned

back every Saturday for 6 weeks and asked

for Mr Fuck Off. Irritating but funny

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"Most people get unwanted/unsolicited phone calls, it's how you react to them and handle them that is all important.

"

When your waitting for an important call from a hospital, sorry but I can only react one way "F*** O**"

I think most of us paid to have phone lines installed to keep intouch with friends and family and for our use only, there not public phones. It does not seem right that any bussness should have any right to invade others privcy, and try and push thier products in your face, or gather and collect your private informtion to be sold on.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Then be more careful who you give your number out to then.....

I give No-One our home phone number, except for close family, everyone else gets a mobile number.

Companies are far less likely to phone mobile numbers thn landline

over a year ago

We let friends and relatives know that we only answer the phone if they ring twice .

We have missed loads of important calls but are soooo pissed off with cold callers , even with the TPS.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

just people doing their job..... and as is mentioned on another thread the abuse of people whilst doing their role is not big or clever.

Yeah, the TPS will minimise calls, be careful when signing up to any services that you don't agree to marketing activity.

But sadly, they won't all go away.

One thing is for sure, being a twat to them will mostly guarantee they will diary you for a call back

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"We let friends and relatives know that we only answer the phone if they ring twice .

We have missed loads of important calls but are soooo pissed off with cold callers , even with the TPS."

The TPS is useless. A dog with no teeth, better chance of licking some one to death that doing what they should do.

over a year ago

Does trading standards have a hotline you can report phone numbers to? They should do. And if cold-caller companies are punished the way they should be, the people they harass should get a bloody payout for taking their shit

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

OK guys, I get the idea of not giving out your number, but eventualy it will get out some how. Telling them to F off will often get repercusions, and asking them politely to remove your number from thier call list does not work either, and the TPS is a waste of time in most cercumstances. I know I've tried them all.

But it cost them one hell of a lot of cold calls, so how do they get thier money back, is it right that some one makes cash from anoying thousands of people.

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"Does trading standards have a hotline you can report phone numbers to? They should do. And if cold-caller companies are punished the way they should be, the people they harass should get a bloody payout for taking their shit"

Good point I'll look into that.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Try answering with "I'm sorry, no one is available to take your call at the moment. One of our operators will be with you shortly. You are at queue position no. 99."

They soon get the picture

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"Try answering with "I'm sorry, no one is available to take your call at the moment. One of our operators will be with you shortly. You are at queue position no. 99."

They soon get the picture "

By *rs and mr sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

Boldon

ok, I'm gonna get my tin hat on now ready as I was trained to work in an outbound call centre - I hasten to add that I now work in inbound which is customer service so I'm really not trying to sell you anything although I may suggest cheaper tariffs or other options which might save you money - I would not pressure you to buy anything you didn't want or need.

Even if you are registered with TPS, if you have been on a comparison site or filled in a survey at any point - your details will be sold on to other companies. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do. Outbound contact centres are not allowed to ring after 9 pm by law - unfortunately if the contact centre is in India then they forget what time it is over here - all you can do is tell them to remove your number from their list and if they don't, then you can report them to TPS - that's the only advice I can give, I've been trained in objection handling so have been told what to say for most of the things that are said back to us when trying to promote a product. The sales targets are very high so the pressure is on to sell sell sell. That's why I'm glad that I'm inbound!

Please don't hate me for working in a contact centre

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

"Most people get unwanted/unsolicited phone calls, it's how you react to them and handle them that is all important.

When your waitting for an important call from a hospital, sorry but I can only react one way "F*** O**"

I think most of us paid to have phone lines installed to keep intouch with friends and family and for our use only, there not public phones. It does not seem right that any bussness should have any right to invade others privcy, and try and push thier products in your face, or gather and collect your private informtion to be sold on."

no doubt you had a letter box fitted to your door so you could get letters from friends and relatives do you get stroppy with the postman when he shoves unwanted bills in as well

over a year ago

I think most of us paid to have phone lines installed to keep intouch with friends and family and for our use only, there not public phones. It does not seem right that any bussness should have any right to invade others privcy, and try and push thier products in your face, or gather and collect your private informtion to be sold on.

no doubt you had a letter box fitted to your door so you could get letters from friends and relatives do you get stroppy with the postman when he shoves unwanted bills in as well "

Erm we are both posties and yes we get gyp over bills and more with the Door to Doors which you know as junk mail .

During the elections one guy who had opted out of Door to Doors got really lairy because electoral material is non opt outable and left rude messages about what he would do if we gave him more , which I did with relish .

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I think most of us paid to have phone lines installed to keep intouch with friends and family and for our use only, there not public phones. It does not seem right that any bussness should have any right to invade others privcy, and try and push thier products in your face, or gather and collect your private informtion to be sold on."

I hope you get told to fuck off for doing your job to

Such a childish and immature attitude!!

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

if people could listen to some of the calls... you would be truly horrified by the way people speak to the call centre advisors

truly horrified

over a year ago

Contact your telephone provider, ask them to do anonymous call barring.

Any number that doesnt come through cant call you.

Saves all the agro and cost a couple of £ a month.

over a year ago

evesham

"if people could listen to some of the calls... you would be truly horrified by the way people speak to the call centre advisors

truly horrified"

Its another version of the keyboard warrior. They woukdnt do it face to face with someone but over the phone it's fair game.

I got told that someone hoped I got cancer and died because the company I worked for dared to take the money she owed them out of her bank!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I think some people don't always understand how companies like Vanquis operate nor how they get your contact information....

If you go to just about any lender (Bank, Credit Card Company etc.) and they turn you down for a loan, they then pass your information on to Vanquis and companies like that who will pay your first port of call a referral fee or finders fee if you take on a credit card or loan with Vanquis.

So if Barclays/Nationwide/Nat West etc. say no to an initial loan or card application you are very likely to get companies like Vanquis contacting you to offer you money at a very high interest rate.

The same goes if your credit score is _iewed by any given company and falls below a certain criteria....companies like Vanquis will follow that up with a high interest offer...even if you never contacted them in the first place.

Vanquis don't simply pluck names and numbers out of thin air....they work on leads.

So Op....maybe, just maybe, you left yourself open to their interest in you with a previous enquiry with another organisation?

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

verym very few companies will make multiple calls in one day... probable exceptions are the collections dept chasing late payments or fraud prevention.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"verym very few companies will make multiple calls in one day... probable exceptions are the collections dept chasing late payments or fraud prevention."

Very true...

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Slightly off topic, any junk mail I get goes straight back in the post box over the road

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Without reading it again but I don't think it was the OP who mentioned Vanquis.

We just don't give our number out , plus the being registered with TPS seems to keep our phone quiet.....but before we registered they were a pain in the arse. I

f I want a service or want to buy something I am quite capable of looking for things myself.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"just people doing their job..... and as is mentioned on another thread the abuse of people whilst doing their role is not big or clever.

"

But very enjoyable, if the sensitive souls can't handle the abuse they can always get another job that doesn't involve pissing people off in a big way.

I'd like to meet some of the gormless cunts that actually do business with them, they are the ones that need shaking warmly by the throat.

If it didn't work they wouldn't do it.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"Slightly off topic, any junk mail I get goes straight back in the post box over the road "

I do this with a twist, junk mail from company A gets sent to company B and so on.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"just people doing their job..... and as is mentioned on another thread the abuse of people whilst doing their role is not big or clever.

But very enjoyable, if the sensitive souls can't handle the abuse they can always get another job that doesn't involve pissing people off in a big way.

I'd like to meet some of the gormless cunts that actually do business with them, they are the ones that need shaking warmly by the throat.

If it didn't work they wouldn't do it."

if that's your enjoyment

over a year ago

evesham

If it didn't work they wouldn't do it."

What a charming individual!!!!

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

Such a childish and immature attitude!!"

Is it, he's now passed away, what would you say to some one who phoned you for a survay or change your energy tariff to a company you never use. when your waiting to find out if a loved one survived an operation.

And No one has told me to fuck off for doing my job, the've been great full for me being there.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

you can get a phone that displays incoming callers numbers you will have to upgrade your phone services. my mum did it for her peace of mind

over a year ago

evesham

Such a childish and immature attitude!! Is it, he's now passed away, what would you say to some one who phoned you for a survay or change your energy tariff to a company you never use. when your waiting to find out if a loved one survived an operation.

And No one has told me to fuck off for doing my job, the've been great full for me being there."

I''ve never told anyone to fuck off because they called me. I have politely pointed out that I am registered with the tps and they are breaking the law by contacting me. They thenoffer to take me off ytheir list so I am not bothered again.

Just telling them to fuck off puts you to the bottom of the list and that is why you get multiple calls during this sad time.

I may be the odd one out but I really don't see the need for unecessary rudeness to anyone, no matter what their job. At least they have a job!

over a year ago

Boldon

I forgot to say - a classic response is to ask for the caller's personal home/mobile number so you can call them back at a more convenient time. When they no, you ask 'Do you not like people ringing you at home?' They say no and you tell them politely that neither do you and hang up lol

over a year ago

"I forgot to say - a classic response is to ask for the caller's personal home/mobile number so you can call them back at a more convenient time. When they no, you ask 'Do you not like people ringing you at home?' They say no and you tell them politely that neither do you and hang up lol "

Excellent tip , will try that next time we get called .

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

Such a childish and immature attitude!! Is it, he's now passed away, what would you say to some one who phoned you for a survay or change your energy tariff to a company you never use. when your waiting to find out if a loved one survived an operation.

And No one has told me to fuck off for doing my job, the've been great full for me being there.

I''ve never told anyone to fuck off because they called me. I have politely pointed out that I am registered with the tps and they are breaking the law by contacting me. They thenoffer to take me off ytheir list so I am not bothered again.

Just telling them to fuck off puts you to the bottom of the list and that is why you get multiple calls during this sad time.

I may be the odd one out but I really don't see the need for unecessary rudeness to anyone, no matter what their job. At least they have a job! "

I only resort to rudness when politeness fails. months ago I would remind cold callers that the number is registered with the TPS and request they remove my number to save every one time. Then I noticed the same Numbers coming up on the caller ID three or four times a day, which I ignored, it was only when some one went in hospital that it became a real problem.

Just out of curiosity would you get pissed off if you repeatedly got messages from people on this site who you don't like, do you block them or report them.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

You can apply to BT to have your number changed on the grounds of nuisance calls, so maybe that would be your best port of call rather than an internet forum....where no-one can help you.

And when you get your new number....tell only your loved ones the details.....tell no other body.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

He wasn't asking for help

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"He wasn't asking for help "

People offer advice and assistance on these forums all the time.....

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"He wasn't asking for help

People offer advice and assistance on these forums all the time....."

They do

But he wasn't asking for help.

over a year ago

evesham

I may be the odd one out but I really don't see the need for unecessary rudeness to anyone, no matter what their job. At least they have a job! I only resort to rudness when politeness fails. months ago I would remind cold callers that the number is registered with the TPS and request they remove my number to save every one time. Then I noticed the same Numbers coming up on the caller ID three or four times a day, which I ignored, it was only when some one went in hospital that it became a real problem.

Just out of curiosity would you get pissed off if you repeatedly got messages from people on this site who you don't like, do you block them or report them."

Isn't blocking the same as using the tps? If so, then yes I block people.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

They do

But he wasn't asking for help."

Am I missing something obvious here?...

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

They do

But he wasn't asking for help.

Am I missing something obvious here?..."

You said " so maybe that would be your best port of call rather than an internet forum....where no-one can help you"

I pointed out he didn't ask for help.

It was more a topic of conversation with a question.

over a year ago

"Been reg with TPS for years, Most call centers are outside the uk so thier not controled by english law.

I don't think I'm rasist but 90% are asian who speak english but don't understand english."

It is to do with wages, why pay the going rate i nthis country when you can pay the going rate in a slightly less expensive country.

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"

Isn't blocking the same as using the tps? If so, then yes I block people. "

No, the TPS is a register for those not wanting cold callers, they have little or no power to block phone calls. on this Site you block some one and thats it, that profile will never get thro. It's quick simple and effective, if thanks but no-thanks doesn't work then blocking does. pity the phone system don't work the same way.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Sometimes I ask them to just hold for a mo as I'm just in the middle of doing something then leave the phone lying on a surface for about half an hour. Strangely they have gone when I get back to it. And they don't tend to call again.

over a year ago

Boldon

"Sometimes I ask them to just hold for a mo as I'm just in the middle of doing something then leave the phone lying on a surface for about half an hour. Strangely they have gone when I get back to it. And they don't tend to call again."

That's a very good one as the callers have very high targets to meet so they can't wait for you - I like it - even if it will frustrate the caller who could well be a friend of mine

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

If it didn't work they wouldn't do it.

What a charming individual!!!! "

Why make it personal?

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"I think some people don't always understand how companies like Vanquis operate nor how they get your contact information....

If you go to just about any lender (Bank, Credit Card Company etc.) and they turn you down for a loan, they then pass your information on to Vanquis and companies like that who will pay your first port of call a referral fee or finders fee if you take on a credit card or loan with Vanquis.

So if Barclays/Nationwide/Nat West etc. say no to an initial loan or card application you are very likely to get companies like Vanquis contacting you to offer you money at a very high interest rate.

The same goes if your credit score is _iewed by any given company and falls below a certain criteria....companies like Vanquis will follow that up with a high interest offer...even if you never contacted them in the first place.

Vanquis don't simply pluck names and numbers out of thin air....they work on leads.

So Op....maybe, just maybe, you left yourself open to their interest in you with a previous enquiry with another organisation?"

Actually, all the banks SELL the details of their declined loans to people like Vanquis, Cattles, Wonga etc.

I once refused to work on a project at the bank I worked at for that very reason.

You can't afford to pay the 4-6% rate of interest on the loan you applied for with us, however we're quite willing to sell your details on to someone that will give you the same loan but at horrifically inflated interest rates.

It's quite a lucrative sideline for them.

over a year ago

"Register on the TPS website and after a couple of weeks there will be no calls "

we registered and it dad make a little difference but calls still get through, got to say I am REAL NASTY now if I get a call centre on the fone, one of the worst culprits are the windows call centres telling me I had problems, when asked what I could see on my screen, I told him I was watching a couple shagging and he had just disturbed me, don't know why but he hung up quick !! pmsl.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"Register on the TPS website and after a couple of weeks there will be no calls

we registered and it dad make a little difference but calls still get through, got to say I am REAL NASTY now if I get a call centre on the fone, one of the worst culprits are the windows call centres telling me I had problems, when asked what I could see on my screen, I told him I was watching a couple shagging and he had just disturbed me, don't know why but he hung up quick !! pmsl."

You know those calls are a scam, right?

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"

Actually, all the banks SELL the details of their declined loans to people like Vanquis, Cattles, Wonga etc.

I once refused to work on a project at the bank I worked at for that very reason.

You can't afford to pay the 4-6% rate of interest on the loan you applied for with us, however we're quite willing to sell your details on to someone that will give you the same loan but at horrifically inflated interest rates.

It's quite a lucrative sideline for them."

Interesting bit of inside information, It explains how peoples details can get into the wrong hands. Well done for having higher moral standards than the bank, and the courage to stick to them. Please leave out Company Names, I wound not like to see you get banned from the forum for being honest.

I would still like to know what call centers have to gain by repeatedly making nusence calls to those that have made it clear they don't want them.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"

It's quite a lucrative sideline for them.

Interesting bit of inside information, It explains how peoples details can get into the wrong hands. Well done for having higher moral standards than the bank, and the courage to stick to them. Please leave out Company Names, I wound not like to see you get banned from the forum for being honest.

I would still like to know what call centers have to gain by repeatedly making nusence calls to those that have made it clear they don't want them."

Well one of them had already been named and the other two are well known anyway

I eventually left the bank (I worked in IT, not the finance side) for that and a few other reasons...not entirely altruistic though, it was a bit of Champagne Socialism that involved a reasonably large payout !

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"

we registered and it dad make a little difference but calls still get through, got to say I am REAL NASTY now if I get a call centre on the fone, one of the worst culprits are the windows call centres telling me I had problems, when asked what I could see on my screen, I told him I was watching a couple shagging and he had just disturbed me, don't know why but he hung up quick !! pmsl.

You know those calls are a scam, right?"

Yes they are a scam, and they do keep tring to get into your computer. it stems from computer shops that you may of bought a laptop a printer or ungrade from, every one in my street who has a computer has had them. Thankfully they have stopped now, thought the police had done some thing, but seems they targeted a new area.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"

I would still like to know what call centers have to gain by repeatedly making nusence calls to those that have made it clear they don't want them."

It's a numbers game, it only needs the odd one to say yes and they are in the money.

PPI claims are money for old rope for them, they know the banks will pay eventually.

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"

I would still like to know what call centers have to gain by repeatedly making nusence calls to those that have made it clear they don't want them.

It's a numbers game, it only needs the odd one to say yes and they are in the money.

PPI claims are money for old rope for them, they know the banks will pay eventually."

seems like that what comes around goes around. There is one comment that banks sell customers information, and others using it to get back at the bank, and us poor buggers are in the middle getting all the crap. but good point.

over a year ago

Take the steps nec to ban it from your phone. You can't go around banning everything you don't like. Maybe it's useful for some?

over a year ago

"Recently lost a relative, so I've been Pouncing on the phone when it rings.

I've had 9 in 4 hours aready."

Call centers no as they are nessesery to get information. Telly sales incoming yes they are a pain.

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"Take the steps nec to ban it from your phone. You can't go around banning everything you don't like. Maybe it's useful for some? "
I don't under stand what steps nec to ban it from my phone about.

Yes I agree perhaps a total ban for every one is not the awnser, The responsible call centers are useful to some people, but the irresponsible ones have distroyed the reputaion in my _iew.

The repeated calls, after a polite no thank you, and please remove my number from your call list, only serves to prevoke anger in almost every one including me. This usualy ends up abusive, the people who make these calls " not the companies they work for " fail to understand why some get angry, maybe they are not allowed to remove telephone numbers from the call list I don't know. If they could, no one else in that call center would call and the problem would be resovled. The company would save on call costs, the callers would not get angry replies. and people would not get nusence phone calls, it's only greedy companies that want your information, that puts every one involved through the grinder.

But thanks for your comment.

over a year ago

I don't think I'm rasist but 90% are asian who speak english but don't understand english.

I think you may find that if they are calling on behalf of or as employees of a UK firm then they are most definitely regulated by UK laws."

I can vouch that this is true. I work for a high street bank for my sins and our call centres are treated as an extension of our ops in this country.

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"

Call centers no as they are nessesery to get information. Telly sales incoming yes they are a pain. "

Nessesery for what purpose, "profit". Census records and Electrory records are covered by the data protection act, by nessecity.

If you have insurence for a car house or some thing else, then your details such as Name address tele No age and how much you earn and what you do for a living will be sold or shared, that apparently is not covered by the data protection act.

over a year ago

evesham

"

Call centers no as they are nessesery to get information. Telly sales incoming yes they are a pain.

Nessesery for what purpose, "profit". Census records and Electrory records are covered by the data protection act, by nessecity.

If you have insurence for a car house or some thing else, then your details such as Name address tele No age and how much you earn and what you do for a living will be sold or shared, that apparently is not covered by the data protection act."

It is covered. You have the right to opt out of ant third party marketing. If you are sure you have done this every time you have left your details with a company, registered online etc then you are entitled to know where your details were bought from and enter a formal complaint with them as they broke the law.

If it is found that one ONE site you have forgotten to opt out you have no case.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"

If you have insurence for a car house or some thing else, then your details such as Name address tele No age and how much you earn and what you do for a living will be sold or shared, that apparently is not covered by the data protection act.

It is covered. You have the right to opt out of ant third party marketing. If you are sure you have done this every time you have left your details with a company, registered online etc then you are entitled to know where your details were bought from and enter a formal complaint with them as they broke the law.

If it is found that one ONE site you have forgotten to opt out you have no case. "

over a year ago

evesham

Also, only information that is deemed relevant to the enquiry should be taken. Of you feel something is jot relevant you can ask why they need it and if it's of no importance you can refuse to give it.

By *icky55 OP   Man
over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"Also, only information that is deemed relevant to the enquiry should be taken. Of you feel something is jot relevant you can ask why they need it and if it's of no importance you can refuse to give it. "

I have just looked at the 4 renewal quotes that came in the post and my existing policy, nowhere does it mention what happens to your data when or if it expires, or an option to opt out off information being passed on. It is under the terms and conditions, if you chose "not" to accept those terms then your policy or quote is cancled without a chance to opt out. they are free to sell your info on, if you do accept then same thing, as the man from Scotland pointed out it only takes ONE and there is no way out.

Is there a case that can be made for hidding or obscuring the opting out of passing your details on. If a call center dealing insurence has been asked to remove your number from the call list, can they be held accountable if they call you again and again.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"

you are entitled to know where your details were bought from "

I ask for that every time I'm called, not one cold caller has answered it yet. Also when they say "we've been asked to call" I ask who by? "your details were passed to us" by whom?

Not one answer, ever.

Then I tend to go into FOAD mode. The funny thing is some of the scrotes get really upset.

Good.

over a year ago

evesham

I think its sad that some peoples lifea are so un fullfilling that they have to abuse innocent people for trying to do their job

I have signed up to the tps and make sure I opt out of as many third party marketing boxes as o remember to and do you know what......I get very few cold calls

In this day and age where we have such strong _iews about people not having jobs and claiming benefits why should we make any one feel victimised in their job?

I wonder if those so hapy to abuse people on the phone do the sane to big issue sellers or market researchers in the street, or is the protection if the phone a lot to do with it?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

But they are interrupting people in their own homes when they havn't been invited.

They may well be doing their job but it is a job that obviously annoys a lot of people.

To the comment of "ask them where they got your details" before we registered with TPS we asked this question many a time and the phone always went dead. They obviously don't like the question.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

the advisor won't likely know where the marketing department have bought the calling list from, they may be able to agree to find out and post it to you. Then you may want to call them and ask where they have bought your details from and post it to you. Then you may want to......

you will eventually may get the 'agree to marketing activity that you have ticked by accident'.

and more often than not, outbound activity is out sourced to a 3rd party , who in turn may outsource it further.

that is the reality a lot of the times.

if they identify who they are calling on behalf of and they should, may be best to write to their HQ and address it to List Management, c/o Marketing department

over a year ago

evesham

"But they are interrupting people in their own homes when they havn't been invited.

They may well be doing their job but it is a job that obviously annoys a lot of people.

To the comment of "ask them where they got your details" before we registered with TPS we asked this question many a time and the phone always went dead. They obviously don't like the question."

You're right, they don't which is why more people need to be aware of what their rights are to ensure that companies are upholding them.

All I see in threads like this are bullies gloating about how they get off on abusing people. Why is that right?

over a year ago

"Also, only information that is deemed relevant to the enquiry should be taken. Of you feel something is jot relevant you can ask why they need it and if it's of no importance you can refuse to give it. "

or you could just put the phone on one side til later ........

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

and most blue chips have significantly reduced their outbound calling to a minimum and invested more in advertising and stimulation to inbound calling and selling through a service strategy. they have recognised the impact on the brand by pissing people off and o the customer

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"But they are interrupting people in their own homes when they havn't been invited.

To the comment of "ask them where they got your details" before we registered with TPS we asked this question many a time and the phone always went dead. They obviously don't like the question.

You're right, they don't which is why more people need to be aware of what their rights are to ensure that companies are upholding them.

All I see in threads like this are bullies gloating about how they get off on abusing people. Why is that right? "

I don't think it is bullying, I think it is people pissed off in their own homes on their own phones and sounding off to the person that is pissing them off in their own homes.

Personally we don't get any , but if I did and was annoyed enough to tell them to F off...thats up to me.

They can always not call again.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Also, only information that is deemed relevant to the enquiry should be taken. Of you feel something is jot relevant you can ask why they need it and if it's of no importance you can refuse to give it.

or you could just put the phone on one side til later ........"

Or tell them you will just go get your dad and leave it next to the telly speaker

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"

I wonder if those so hapy to abuse people on the phone do the sane to big issue sellers or market researchers in the street, or is the protection if the phone a lot to do with it? "

Why would I abuse Big Issue sellers?

'Market Researchers' and chuggers are fair game though.

over a year ago

evesham

"

I wonder if those so hapy to abuse people on the phone do the sane to big issue sellers or market researchers in the street, or is the protection if the phone a lot to do with it?

"

Don't they interupt your walk hroufh town asking you to buy their mags? Funny how they escape your wrath.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"

Don't they interupt your walk hroufh town asking you to buy their mags? Funny how they escape your wrath. "

They generally ask nicely, they take no for an answer (I always buy from the same seller) and I fee sorry for them. Nothing funny about it at all.

There I've answered another question, how about you reciprocate:

Why are you making this personal?

over a year ago

evesham

I'm not, why are you taking it personal?

over a year ago

I find now saying no thank you as soon as they say what it's about and then putting the phone down works. Polite but effective.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"I'm not, why are you taking it personal?"

That's not the way it looks but no matter.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Such a childish and immature attitude!!"

forgive me if i'm wrong but are you not actually acting in a similar way..?

your hoping he gets treated the same way which in your opinion is childish and immature...

over a year ago

evesham

your hoping he gets treated the same way which in your opinion is childish and immature... "

If thats how you see it then sure.

what i was actuall trying to point out is tat its not nice to be abused for doing your job. it may not be the job you would want to do, but it is a job for someone. something a lt of people are struggling to find.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

your hoping he gets treated the same way which in your opinion is childish and immature...

what i was actuall trying to point out is tat its not nice to be abused for doing your job. it may not be the job you would want to do, but it is a job for someone. something a lt of people are struggling to find."

i aree with the no need for abuse..

just surprised if thats your stance as you state then you hope someone gets treated that way..?

over a year ago

evesham

"

what i was actuall trying to point out is tat its not nice to be abused for doing your job. it may not be the job you would want to do, but it is a job for someone. something a lt of people are struggling to find.

i aree with the no need for abuse..

just surprised if thats your stance as you state then you hope someone gets treated that way..?"

the rolly eyes icon was meant to indicate the sarcasm intended

Post new Message to Thread