Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Social services.

Jump to newest

By *oungmumxxx OP   Woman
over a year ago

Newcastle

Anyone have any experience of dealing with this? Have recently taken my little sister in, and jesus they dont make life easy. Sorry if anyone is a social worker, I know its a tough job. Suppose im just ranting!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yeah had a few dealings with them when i was going to take my sisters baby.

They don't make life easy but they have to do every relevant check and things through the book.

And i know they can be a pain but they can also be a massive help,i know they have been brill in my nieces case,and from what i can see they always prefer kids to stay within a family if possible.

over a year ago

"And i know they can be a pain but they can also be a massive help,...,and from what i can see they always prefer kids to stay within a family if possible."

The above is true IME - I have a close friend who's been a social worker for 20+ years, in child protection, fostering and adoption. Can't speak for the whole sector and of course like any field there are good and bad practitioners but my friend has always told me the first priority is to keep a child within its family if at all possible - they're focused on doing what's best for the child and in most cases staying in the family is recognised as the least traumatic option, unless there are good reasons why that can't happen. The important thing is to try and work with them not against them.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/02/13 10:20:39]

over a year ago

As you are a young mum yourself they have to be sure you're not taking on too much, but having said that if they can keep a family together then I'm sure they'd prefer that and give you all the help you need once you've demonstrated that you will move heaven and hell to prevent your young sister being fostered out.

I admire you for taking her in, and she's lucky to have a sister like you. Well done.

over a year ago

I have two adopted children. At times I have been put through hell by social services but ultimately, they always have the best interest of children at their core. Without them, I wouldn't have my children so I will always back them up and support them

over a year ago

"Anyone have any experience of dealing with this? Have recently taken my little sister in, and jesus they dont make life easy. Sorry if anyone is a social worker, I know its a tough job. Suppose im just ranting!"

They will put lots of obstacles in your way and its frustrating at times but if you can get someone on your side it helps. Just remember they are looking after the safety of the minor so it won't always go smoothly. Anyway hope it goes well and good luck x

over a year ago

When I was younger I was put into care so had social services around me alot. To be honest im so grateful that they were around if not I think I wouldn't be around today.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

good luck and I hope your love & caring for your sister will be the outcome and she gets to stay with you. Social services will be doing the best for her.

I would maybe consider taking any face pics off here in the meantime, no offence and I do appreciate single parents can meet in their own home. They may want to know who enters your home and where you meet them. Maybe, I don't know for sure but worth considering

all the best

over a year ago

"good luck and I hope your love & caring for your sister will be the outcome and she gets to stay with you. Social services will be doing the best for her.

I would maybe consider taking any face pics off here in the meantime, no offence and I do appreciate single parents can meet in their own home. They may want to know who enters your home and where you meet them. Maybe, I don't know for sure but worth considering

all the best"

That might be a good idea for a short while!

By *oungmumxxx OP   Woman
over a year ago

Newcastle

Thank you for the advice and support. When I first came here didn't realise how much of a community there was. Hugs all round xxx

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

My advice would be to go and seek your own legal advice and know what your options and entitlements are. Most reputable family solicitors will offer a free consultation.

The regulations regarding connected person fostering are the same nationwide but many local authorities choose to ignore them. Make sure you are aware of the childs legal status as this is important as to whether you receive payments which should be inline with mainstream foster carers! And above all else be honest open and work with social services as they all have the same goal which is to ensure the child's welfare. Good luck with it.

Post new Message to Thread