Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What choices do we have

Jump to newest

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I mean are there still areas in life where we have genuine choices?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

we can choose who we love

over a year ago

We can choose who we have sex with, what cars we buy god I love my life and gf

over a year ago

We can choose whether we conform to the expectations of Society

over a year ago

"we can choose who we love"

sort of - sometimes you fall for a person you wouldnt choose

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

can we? Really? don't think I have ever chosen who to love, I love my family unconditionally but I have no choice in the matter and I love my husband the same way but it isn't a choice I couldn't choose not to love him either.

over a year ago

Or fall for the one you can't have

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

we can choose what foood we eat..... oh thats rite no we can't findas lasngna anyone??

over a year ago

How to live my life, my job, recreational activities etc. etc...

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

just chose what to have for dinner .. no horse (fingers crossed) !

over a year ago

True freedom today is homelessness. Once you're off the books, you're no longer responsible for anyone but yourself.

We also have more of a choice not to do anything for ourselves than we have the choice to go out there and make something of ourselves. Too many restrictions on life today. Wonder if the Jewish Ghettos felt like this in the 30's

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"we can choose who we love

can we? Really? don't think I have ever chosen who to love, I love my family unconditionally but I have no choice in the matter and I love my husband the same way but it isn't a choice I couldn't choose not to love him either. "

I would go along with that.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I mean are there still areas in life where we have genuine choices? "

Choices made of free will, free of social conditioning and expectations...I doubt it. But within those constraints there are still areas where we may choose to an extent, where to go on holiday, what to eat to an extent what to wear. I saw an older guy yesterday in a pink velvet suit with an eye mask on and people were really staring it took real guts to make that choice and most of us would stick within what society expects us to wear I think .

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I always choose to read your threads as they are unfailingly interesting

over a year ago

We have genuine choices in most parts of our lives - it's just up to us to be wise enough to make the choice and strong enough to fight to make it happen....

over a year ago

"we can choose who we love

Or fall for the one you can't have "

yup

over a year ago

I choose to wear odd socks

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I mean are there still areas in life where we have genuine choices?

I always choose to read your threads as they are unfailingly interesting "

Aw thanks - I am blushing - I cannot help it, I have no choice

over a year ago

no, it's destiny!

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

We have genuine choices in most parts of our lives - it's just up to us to be wise enough to make the choice and strong enough to fight to make it happen...."

So would you argue that we have those choices in many ways but sometimes choose not to see, acknowledge or realise them?

over a year ago

We have genuine choices in most parts of our lives - it's just up to us to be wise enough to make the choice and strong enough to fight to make it happen....So would you argue that we have those choices in many ways but sometimes choose not to see, acknowledge or realise them?"

I'd like to choose a good life over the petty drama I see every day - people making mountains out of molehills because that's their idea of progress - but the drama chooses me lol

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We have genuine choices in most parts of our lives - it's just up to us to be wise enough to make the choice and strong enough to fight to make it happen....So would you argue that we have those choices in many ways but sometimes choose not to see, acknowledge or realise them?"

I would argue that we have very limited actual choice that is free from outside influence. Everything we do is informed by our upbringing, religion, society, class, education so that any choice we make doesn't come from our own free will but from an amalgamation of the influences on our life, we think we are making choices but they are not free choices.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

We have genuine choices in most parts of our lives - it's just up to us to be wise enough to make the choice and strong enough to fight to make it happen....So would you argue that we have those choices in many ways but sometimes choose not to see, acknowledge or realise them?

I would argue that we have very limited actual choice that is free from outside influence. Everything we do is informed by our upbringing, religion, society, class, education so that any choice we make doesn't come from our own free will but from an amalgamation of the influences on our life, we think we are making choices but they are not free choices."

That was exactly what I was thinking when I put up this thread. How "free" are we really...

over a year ago

we have more choices than.ever before...which is really unfortunate as it s far too easy to make the wrong ones

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"We can choose whether we conform to the expectations of Society "
Absolutely - and tbh I actually quite adore those that have the genuine courage of their convictions

over a year ago

"we have more choices than.ever before...which is really unfortunate as it s far too easy to make the wrong ones "

I actually find that the more liberties and equality we have acquired over the years, it has given the powerful a handle on how to treat us all equally awfully.

Racism no longer exists as a national problem, we're all as worthless as each other in David Cameron's eyes...

Who wants a spare bedroom btw?

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

Racism no longer exists as a national problem, we're all as worthless as each other in David Cameron's eyes...

"

Now that made me chuckle

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We have genuine choices in most parts of our lives - it's just up to us to be wise enough to make the choice and strong enough to fight to make it happen....So would you argue that we have those choices in many ways but sometimes choose not to see, acknowledge or realise them?

I would argue that we have very limited actual choice that is free from outside influence. Everything we do is informed by our upbringing, religion, society, class, education so that any choice we make doesn't come from our own free will but from an amalgamation of the influences on our life, we think we are making choices but they are not free choices.That was exactly what I was thinking when I put up this thread. How "free" are we really..."

I don't think we're "free" in the sense you mean at all.

I no longer wear bootcut jeans despite having two pairs with a lot of wear left in them, I chose to stop wearing them becasue of fashion's influence on me not because I exercised my free will to make that choice and although that is a fairly shallow example I think you can apply it to almost all areas of life.

By *incs-cpl1Couple
over a year ago

Peterborough

We can choose to eat, but we can't choose not to eat horse meat.

over a year ago

Yes all the time xx

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"We can choose whether we conform to the expectations of Society Absolutely - and tbh I actually quite adore those that have the genuine courage of their convictions"

We can choose but it's very difficult to choose not to conform. I often find myself in a minority of one and it isn't comfortable.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"We can choose to eat, but we can't choose not to eat horse meat."
Must confess that really made me angry. Perhaps nobody came to harm... who knows. But we should be able to choose what we eat and trust the labels.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"We can choose whether we conform to the expectations of Society Absolutely - and tbh I actually quite adore those that have the genuine courage of their convictions

We can choose but it's very difficult to choose not to conform. I often find myself in a minority of one and it isn't comfortable. "

100% agreed

over a year ago

"We can choose whether we conform to the expectations of Society Absolutely - and tbh I actually quite adore those that have the genuine courage of their convictions

We can choose but it's very difficult to choose not to conform. I often find myself in a minority of one and it isn't comfortable. "

I can think of groups of people that choose not to conform to what most of Society expect

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

"We can choose to eat, but we can't choose not to eat horse meat.Must confess that really made me angry. Perhaps nobody came to harm... who knows. But we should be able to choose what we eat and trust the labels. "

perhaps we wont know for quite some time as the horses were pumped with drugs that shouldnt really enter the human food chain .. time will tell !

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

We can choose but it's very difficult to choose not to conform. I often find myself in a minority of one and it isn't comfortable.

I can think of groups of people that choose not to conform to what most of Society expect "

And you would , of course include...?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I can think of groups of people that choose not to conform to what most of Society expect "

That's true but they tend to conform within their group and make choices based on the group's code rather than their individual thinking.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I chose a different profile pic tonight cos someone I'm talking to didn't like the 'steves face in a pussy' one. Thoughtful, eh?

over a year ago

I would say that in any so called free society its pretty hard to opt out without establishment interference.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I can think of groups of people that choose not to conform to what most of Society expect

That's true but they tend to conform within their group and make choices based on the group's code rather than their individual thinking."

DO you think that some genuinely speak out for themselves, for what they believe in?

over a year ago

That's true but they tend to conform within their group and make choices based on the group's code rather than their individual thinking."

very true but they have made choices to do what they do

over a year ago

"I would say that in any so called free society its pretty hard to opt out without establishment interference. "

Interference begins the moment you are given your birth 'berth' certificate. I have been looking in to the FMOTL approach for years, but you either need a masters degree in law or be able to recite the Magna Carta off by heart

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

That's true but they tend to conform within their group and make choices based on the group's code rather than their individual thinking.DO you think that some genuinely speak out for themselves, for what they believe in? "

Yes Malala Yousufzai is one and I think a lot of us do in our day to day lives when we challenge casual rascism, step in when someone is being bullied things like that. But we are all influenced by external factors so that a true free thinker who makes choices based entirely on original thought is not likely to exist in my opinion

over a year ago

true freedom?

well that would exist when u have ur own universe to manipulate with no consequences of ur actions...much in the way psychopaths feel..they are masters of destiny

and the more people are connected with each other, the more information is shared..its an easy way to become written in history, its more a lookatme/lookwhatIvedone rather than look at who I have ended

I rarely remember the victims, always the perpetrator and thats the sad part I think..as in the end its served their twisted purpose

over a year ago

I chose a different profile pic tonight cos someone I'm talking to didn't like the 'steves face in a pussy' one. Thoughtful, eh? "

well i personally quite liked the steve s face in a pussy one...but the white stuff was a bit weird...

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

That's true but they tend to conform within their group and make choices based on the group's code rather than their individual thinking.DO you think that some genuinely speak out for themselves, for what they believe in?

Yes Malala Yousufzai is one and I think a lot of us do in our day to day lives when we challenge casual rascism, step in when someone is being bullied things like that. But we are all influenced by external factors so that a true free thinker who makes choices based entirely on original thought is not likely to exist in my opinion "

Yes, Malala is truly amazing - I agree

over a year ago

the original post asked whether there were areas in life where we have genuine choices, we all seem to have become embroiled in the point of all areas rather than just some areas where we have choice ........... just saying

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"true freedom?

well that would exist when u have ur own universe to manipulate with no consequences of ur actions...much in the way psychopaths feel..they are masters of destiny

and the more people are connected with each other, the more information is shared..its an easy way to become written in history, its more a lookatme/lookwhatIvedone rather than look at who I have ended

I rarely remember the victims, always the perpetrator and thats the sad part I think..as in the end its served their twisted purpose"

Are you saying the more poeple get connected... the less the freedom and freedom of choices? If you are then that would echo my thoughts on things like Facebook (hate it)

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I choose my individuality

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"the original post asked whether there were areas in life where we have genuine choices, we all seem to have become embroiled in the point of all areas rather than just some areas where we have choice ........... just saying "
Thanks for bringing us back in line

over a year ago

"the original post asked whether there were areas in life where we have genuine choices, we all seem to have become embroiled in the point of all areas rather than just some areas where we have choice ........... just saying "

one choice make many freedom grasshoppa!

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I choose my individuality"
Question:

Is that a genujine choice or is it not sometimes defined by simply being the opposite of what the norm is? Does that make sense what I am trying to say?

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"the original post asked whether there were areas in life where we have genuine choices, we all seem to have become embroiled in the point of all areas rather than just some areas where we have choice ........... just saying

one choice make many freedom grasshoppa!"

oy, one of my all time fav programs

over a year ago

"Be yourself, everybody else is taken!"

-Oscar Wilde

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

It is driven by me, not influenced by others

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"true freedom?

I rarely remember the victims, always the perpetrator and thats the sad part I think..as in the end its served their twisted purposeAre you saying the more poeple get connected... the less the freedom and freedom of choices? If you are then that would echo my thoughts on things like Facebook (hate it) "

You mean because people become conditioned to do the things the heard approve of (freedom socially constrained) and not neccessarily what the individual wants in order to score points, or develop a hive mind when it comes to posting habits - now that could be a dangerous thing that could be exploited in many ways.

Wolf

By *OOMBBYWoman
over a year ago

NOT IN THE MIDLANDS

I choose to be me. I take the the good with the bad...if i make mistakes that was my choice..

over a year ago

"the original post asked whether there were areas in life where we have genuine choices, we all seem to have become embroiled in the point of all areas rather than just some areas where we have choice ........... just saying

one choice make many freedom grasshoppa!oy, one of my all time fav programs "

AssO!

over a year ago

"I would say that in any so called free society its pretty hard to opt out without establishment interference.

Interference begins the moment you are given your birth 'berth' certificate. I have been looking in to the FMOTL approach for years, but you either need a masters degree in law or be able to recite the Magna Carta off by heart "

Its not a way of life I’d conform too (pardon the pun) , but I totally get why it would appeal to many people,,,,,,

over a year ago

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice "

that's deep

Wolf

over a year ago

grrr finding it hard to quote long messages from my phone.

the example of the boot cut jeans to me is the perfect example of too much choice. if that s what people have to worry about nowadays i worry. although i do get society is putting crazy pressure on people to conform...it s also people's choice to conform..surely? or do.i live in dreamland? (quite possible!)

over a year ago

Its even become impossible to decide to be indecisive....

over a year ago

"grrr finding it hard to quote long messages from my phone.

the example of the boot cut jeans to me is the perfect example of too much choice. if that s what people have to worry about nowadays i worry. although i do get society is putting crazy pressure on people to conform...it s also people's choice to conform..surely? or do.i live in dreamland? (quite possible!)"

You prove a massive point with that. Its true that vanity shrinks our understandings of real freedom and naturally distracts us from what we naturally have a responsibility to. Small minds make for small lives and little lives leave little choice

over a year ago

"true freedom?

I rarely remember the victims, always the perpetrator and thats the sad part I think..as in the end its served their twisted purposeAre you saying the more poeple get connected... the less the freedom and freedom of choices? If you are then that would echo my thoughts on things like Facebook (hate it) "

well the more connected we are the less need there is to witness it...rather than being horrified at horrific events now..ppl get the mobile out to take a snap...and they arent even doing it for greed...just to share it

everything has its upwards and downwards effect..the internet,facebook, etc etc...but bearing in mind...its technology in its infancy

and the closer we inspect how other people think we effectively change their behavior (ie big brother), then there is the other aspect of remotely watching people without their consent...it ends up spiraling inwards and outwards to the extremes

if (more a when in my opinion)it gets to a point where we can share or steal memories dreams..u'll see the beauty of things..and also the horrors

oops Ive went of track...done by choice..so up urs

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

the example of the boot cut jeans to me is the perfect example of too much choice. if that s what people have to worry about nowadays i worry. although i do get society is putting crazy pressure on people to conform...it s also people's choice to conform..surely? or do.i live in dreamland? (quite possible!)

You prove a massive point with that. Its true that vanity shrinks our understandings of real freedom and naturally distracts us from what we naturally have a responsibility to. Small minds make for small lives and little lives leave little choice"

Thumbs up to you both...personally while I like dressing up, looking ok and wearing a little make up - I dont actually follow fashion as such. I have a kind of classic style and feel more comfy with that.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

the example of the boot cut jeans to me is the perfect example of too much choice. if that s what people have to worry about nowadays i worry. although i do get society is putting crazy pressure on people to conform...it s also people's choice to conform..surely? or do.i live in dreamland? (quite possible!)"

I used the example of boot cut jeans to illustrate how choices are influenced, I personally don't "worry" about whether my jeans are boot cut or straight I have many more important things to concern me

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"true freedom?

I rarely remember the victims, always the perpetrator and thats the sad part I think..as in the end its served their twisted purposeAre you saying the more poeple get connected... the less the freedom and freedom of choices? If you are then that would echo my thoughts on things like Facebook (hate it)

well the more connected we are the less need there is to witness it...rather than being horrified at horrific events now..ppl get the mobile out to take a snap...and they arent even doing it for greed...just to share it

everything has its upwards and downwards effect..the internet,facebook, etc etc...but bearing in mind...its technology in its infancy

and the closer we inspect how other people think we effectively change their behavior (ie big brother), then there is the other aspect of remotely watching people without their consent...it ends up spiraling inwards and outwards to the extremes

if (more a when in my opinion)it gets to a point where we can share or steal memories dreams..u'll see the beauty of things..and also the horrors

oops Ive went of track...done by choice..so up urs"

Hey stroppy -lol- I was only asking a question... and tbh that kind of world will not be for me. I have a choice of not having facebook and twitter and whatever lese accounts and I can even choose to disconnect from the net if it becomes ever more invasive?

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I used the example of boot cut jeans to illustrate how choices are influenced, I personally don't "worry" about whether my jeans are boot cut or straight I have many more important things to concern me "

I took your comment as just one example of choice vs non choice

over a year ago

"true freedom?

I rarely remember the victims, always the perpetrator and thats the sad part I think..as in the end its served their twisted purposeAre you saying the more poeple get connected... the less the freedom and freedom of choices? If you are then that would echo my thoughts on things like Facebook (hate it)

oops Ive went of track...done by choice..so up ursHey stroppy -lol- I was only asking a question... and tbh that kind of world will not be for me. I have a choice of not having facebook and twitter and whatever lese accounts and I can even choose to disconnect from the net if it becomes ever more invasive? "

u can say that when we're floating head to head in simpsons style head jars x

over a year ago

There are 3 things you are slave to in this era.

1.) Your own decisiions and their outcomes. Non-committment to what you do not care for is frowned upon by society, despite the fact it should not be able to dictate the outcome of your choices, but often does.

2.) The government says that you pay taxes or do not have the right to freedom despite the fact that slavery to tax is not freedom. If you dont work enough to pay tax, you dont work enough to afford to live.

3.) The media distracts you and keeps you rooted to the spot and always craving the new products and gadgets so you may seem happy but are always in debt and wanting more more more...

If you can cheat at least two of these systems (and yes I will screw this country over at any clever opportunity for a better life), then you are freer than probably 2 thirds of the rest of the developed world

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

u can say that when we're floating head to head in simpsons style head jars x"

I can think of nothing sexier than that xx

over a year ago

It's the price of freedom in the western world , we open the door an walk in , and there it is before my eyes , rows and rows of CHOCOLATE SWEETS !

Mars bars, fudge, toffee crisp , marathon, chocolate covered peanuts, lion bars, milky way, caramel bars, curly wurlys ooooooo the choice is endless

over a year ago

Depends on what you would call a genuine choice. I make choices about many different things, but others may say I am being swayed by society... or (like another quote further up) that I am choosing to rebel against conformity.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"It's the price of freedom in the western world , we open the door an walk in , and there it is before my eyes , rows and rows of CHOCOLATE SWEETS !

Mars bars, fudge, toffee crisp , marathon, chocolate covered peanuts, lion bars, milky way, caramel bars, curly wurlys ooooooo the choice is endless "

Love it.... although some would argue we don t have a choice anymore the moment our eyes see chocolate as we start to salivate...;-)

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Depends on what you would call a genuine choice. I make choices about many different things, but others may say I am being swayed by society... or (like another quote further up) that I am choosing to rebel against conformity.

"

I was kind of curious whether people generally felt that we have choices... in whatever way.

over a year ago

I was kind of curious whether people generally felt that we have choices... in whatever way. "

Then yes, I do.

I think some people would say that they don't have choices... often the people that don't take responsibility for their own lives.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I was kind of curious whether people generally felt that we have choices... in whatever way.

Then yes, I do.

I think some people would say that they don't have choices... often the people that don't take responsibility for their own lives. "

That is such a good point - sometimes it is just easier to think that one does not have a choice rather than taking positive action. It is probably a human trait to do that...

over a year ago

"That is such a good point - sometimes it is just easier to think that one does not have a choice rather than taking positive action. It is probably a human trait to do that... "

That may be a by-product of being taught to conform since birth. When your parents stop telling you what not to do, you carry on yourself. When my dad died I started to bully myself in his absence and couldn't stop even though i was aware of it. Some people would sooner keep themselves in check than be seen being dragged to the grown up naughty step?! Goddamn love being a rebel after school hours me lol

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"That is such a good point - sometimes it is just easier to think that one does not have a choice rather than taking positive action. It is probably a human trait to do that...

That may be a by-product of being taught to conform since birth. When your parents stop telling you what not to do, you carry on yourself. When my dad died I started to bully myself in his absence and couldn't stop even though i was aware of it. Some people would sooner keep themselves in check than be seen being dragged to the grown up naughty step?! Goddamn love being a rebel after school hours me lol"

You sound rebellious but for me rebellious means intelligent and able to question and challenge so for me it is a quality

over a year ago

"That is such a good point - sometimes it is just easier to think that one does not have a choice rather than taking positive action. It is probably a human trait to do that...

That may be a by-product of being taught to conform since birth. When your parents stop telling you what not to do, you carry on yourself. When my dad died I started to bully myself in his absence and couldn't stop even though i was aware of it. Some people would sooner keep themselves in check than be seen being dragged to the grown up naughty step?! Goddamn love being a rebel after school hours me lol

You sound rebellious but for me rebellious means intelligent and able to question and challenge so for me it is a quality "

Aww shucks ma'am haha they actually say nowadays that those who rebel and question authority are better off in mind and smarter than those that do as they're told and therefore dont think for themselves...

WELL NO SHIT!!! lol I could have told them that a long time ago

over a year ago

"There are 3 things you are slave to in this era.

1.) Your own decisiions and their outcomes. Non-committment to what you do not care for is frowned upon by society, despite the fact it should not be able to dictate the outcome of your choices, but often does. "

As long as i m legal they can frown away.

"

2.) The government says that you pay taxes or do not have the right to freedom despite the fact that slavery to tax is not freedom. If you dont work enough to pay tax, you dont work enough to afford to live. "

hate to hear some people complain how they just can t afford to live and they have to work more...yet they live in nice houses, drive fancy cars and have nice hols. people should learn to live within their means...

taxes though are a necessary evil in developed countries...how else are the roads going to ve built and rubbish collected?

"

3.) The media distracts you and keeps you rooted to the spot and always craving the new products and gadgets so you may seem happy but are always in debt and wanting more more more... "

i have a very easy way to deal with that...never read the papers or mags nor watch the news..i m.perfectly aware how bad things are in.this world without being told everyday and i have no idea how inadequate my fashion sense or way of life might be. and frankly i don t feel too bad for it

the only people i.feel real.bad for is parents. unfortunately kids will be kids and the playground pressure can t be helped. they have to conform.to some extent so.their kids fit in...

"

If you can cheat at least two of these systems (and yes I will screw this country over at any clever opportunity for a better life), then you are freer than probably 2 thirds of the rest of the developed world

"

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

Yes you can - but sometimes you are better off with a Lucky Dip...

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I am having a choice of retiring from fabs for the evening

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I just had the choice eat peanut puffs or don't eat peanut puffs......I ate peanut puffs.

Post new Message to Thread