Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

New Tyres:-(

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

With snow imminent, thought I would check state if my tyres and two are getting illegally low! Quote to replace them 300 pounds!!!! And these are the bargain bucket ones too. I know they are 18' but since when did rubber become such a bloody expensive commodity????

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Can you not get ones that have been slightly used already? Should be much cheaper.

over a year ago

Mine are runflats, I need a mortgage to replace mine.

over a year ago

"Mine are runflats, I need a mortgage to replace mine. "

Same here!

By *ethany10Couple
over a year ago

falkirk

Mine are over 300 each, yikes!

over a year ago

Have a look at camskill or blackcircles and get them delivered and then fitted for a tenner each at ur local tyre place ...

Always had excellent service from camskill

over a year ago

"With snow imminent, thought I would check state if my tyres and two are getting illegally low! Quote to replace them 300 pounds!!!! And these are the bargain bucket ones too. I know they are 18' but since when did rubber become such a bloody expensive commodity???? "

Plenty of 18"s at blackcircle at well less than half that what size have you been getting quotes on?

By *he Ring WraithMan
over a year ago

Bradford

Glad my 206 dont need posh rubber !

over a year ago

"Mine are over 300 each, yikes!"

Yikes indeed!!! Counting myself lucky now, but who remembers the sat when they used to be about 30 quid a go and I'm not that old!!!!

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Talking of new tyres, how do I chech mine are still legal depth without taking the word of a bloke whose job it is to sell me tyres?

over a year ago

"With snow imminent, thought I would check state if my tyres and two are getting illegally low! Quote to replace them 300 pounds!!!! And these are the bargain bucket ones too. I know they are 18' but since when did rubber become such a bloody expensive commodity????

Plenty of 18"s at blackcircle at well less than half that what size have you been getting quotes on?"

245/45 ZR18, will check out Tom Ta

over a year ago

"With snow imminent, thought I would check state if my tyres and two are getting illegally low! Quote to replace them 300 pounds!!!! And these are the bargain bucket ones too. I know they are 18' but since when did rubber become such a bloody expensive commodity????

Plenty of 18"s at blackcircle at well less than half that what size have you been getting quotes on?

245/45 ZR18, will check out Tom Ta "

Where have you been getting quotes? Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are top end tires are only £195 and a good qal mid range Vredesteins are only £160.

But if you really are after snow tyres you wont be after ZR's as they are a hard compound for high speeds. Snow/winter tyres are for cold weather use and hot high performance.

Best bet for all round use would be Dunlop 205/45 ZR18 90Ws at around £150 a corner.

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

"Mine are over 300 each, yikes!

Yikes indeed!!! Counting myself lucky now, but who remembers the sat when they used to be about 30 quid a go and I'm not that old!!!!"

Which Saturday was that?

By *ngelsdevilWoman
over a year ago

Merseyside

I find it's cheaper to buy normal tyres for mine and always have a can of tyre weld + AA recovery. The runflats are only designed to get you around 10 miles to get you to the nearest garage and a can of tyre weld would do the same

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Talking of new tyres, how do I chech mine are still legal depth without taking the word of a bloke whose job it is to sell me tyres?"

Stick a rule in the tread. Gotta be at least 4mm.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Talking of new tyres, how do I chech mine are still legal depth without taking the word of a bloke whose job it is to sell me tyres?

Stick a rule in the tread. Gotta be at least 4mm. "

Ruler....

over a year ago

"Mine are runflats, I need a mortgage to replace mine.

I find it's cheaper to buy normal tyres for mine and always have a can of tyre weld + AA recovery. The runflats are only designed to get you around 10 miles to get you to the nearest garage and a can of tyre weld would do the same "

I'm beginning to think it would be great to replace them with ordinary tyres but I've been told I'd have to change my wheels also.

over a year ago

I find it's cheaper to buy normal tyres for mine and always have a can of tyre weld + AA recovery. The runflats are only designed to get you around 10 miles to get you to the nearest garage and a can of tyre weld would do the same

I'm beginning to think it would be great to replace them with ordinary tyres but I've been told I'd have to change my wheels also. "

Not sure about changing the alloys, however, you would need to carry a road worthy spare for non-runflats!

over a year ago

I find it's cheaper to buy normal tyres for mine and always have a can of tyre weld + AA recovery. The runflats are only designed to get you around 10 miles to get you to the nearest garage and a can of tyre weld would do the same "

runflats are designed to let you drive 150 miles at 50 mph.

over a year ago

"

runflats are designed to let you drive 150 miles at 50 mph."

Hmmm, I thought it is 100miles at 50mph.

By *ichelle n big alCouple
over a year ago

Derbys

yer mine to ;-(

over a year ago

"Talking of new tyres, how do I chech mine are still legal depth without taking the word of a bloke whose job it is to sell me tyres?

Ruler...."

A rule starts at 0 from the end, a ruler will have a few cm before it starts measuring so use a rule

over a year ago

I'm beginning to think it would be great to replace them with ordinary tyres but I've been told I'd have to change my wheels also.

Not sure about changing the alloys, however, you would need to carry a road worthy spare for non-runflats! "

Runflats are not that perfect and will start breaking the tyre wall down at 30 miles. Can of tyre weld and electric inhalator on normal tyres works well unless tyre is ripped.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

4mm? Isn't the minimum 1.6mm over the centre 75% of the tread

By *rystal Tipps - AlistairCouple
over a year ago

livingston

Thought that the min depth was 1.6 mm,all tyres usually have a wear bar in the tread(run across the tread)once you reach that it's time for looking to replace them

over a year ago

"Talking of new tyres, how do I chech mine are still legal depth without taking the word of a bloke whose job it is to sell me tyres?"

Have a look at the tread.

There are little wear pads in the grooves.

If the pad is level with the top of the groove then it needs a new tyre.

Dead easy and you dont even need any jacks or rulers.

If your in any doubt, go on google and have a look under images for checking tyre tread depth.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"

Always had excellent service from camskill "

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Tyres are something I take very seriously - my winter tyres came to £600 and I had to make significant cuts elsewhere. But to me they are worth every penny.... and when I change back to normal tyres I ll have yet another expense

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"Tyres are something I take very seriously - my winter tyres came to £600 and I had to make significant cuts elsewhere. But to me they are worth every penny.... and when I change back to normal tyres I ll have yet another expense "

Two sets of rims is the answer

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Tyres are something I take very seriously - my winter tyres came to £600 and I had to make significant cuts elsewhere. But to me they are worth every penny.... and when I change back to normal tyres I ll have yet another expense

Two sets of rims is the answer "

Rims? Explain thyself please

over a year ago

Rims = wheels without tyres fitted

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"Tyres are something I take very seriously - my winter tyres came to £600 and I had to make significant cuts elsewhere. But to me they are worth every penny.... and when I change back to normal tyres I ll have yet another expense

Two sets of rims is the answer Rims? Explain thyself please "

Rims are what the tyres fit on too

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Thanks Nucs and Robbo - I did understand that - what I don't understand is why that would help me when I m buying new tyres? Sorry I am a bit slow here lol

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"Thanks Nucs and Robbo - I did understand that - what I don't understand is why that would help me when I m buying new tyres? Sorry I am a bit slow here lol"

Two sets all weather and then winter for bad weather if that makes sense

By *he Ring WraithMan
over a year ago

Bradford

Get two sets of rims.... Put your normal tyres on one and winter tyres on the other.

Fancy alloys for summer and steel wheels for the winter tyres.

So when the crap weather comes take the summer wheels off, put the winter ones on and when the good weather comes change back.

That way you dont have to buy news tryes each winter and summer.

over a year ago

Although you have the cost of the new rims.

You can leave the winter tyres on the old ones and fit normal tyres on the new ones.

Cheaper to then simply swap wheels once a year and keep the others in the garage.

By *arl828Man
over a year ago

warrington, Cheshire

"With snow imminent, thought I would check state if my tyres and two are getting illegally low! Quote to replace them 300 pounds!!!! And these are the bargain bucket ones too. I know they are 18' but since when did rubber become such a bloody expensive commodity???? "

Is the £300 for 4 tyres, I've just paid £150 for a rear one on my bike.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Thanks Wrtah and Nucs - I change tyres twice a year, once in April (ish) and once before the winter season, usually end of November. My tyres last a couple of years, both winter and summer tyres. I am not sure how have two sets would save me money? Am I being thick here lol?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Although you have the cost of the new rims.

You can leave the winter tyres on the old ones and fit normal tyres on the new ones.

Cheaper to then simply swap wheels once a year and keep the others in the garage."

Where I live at the moment I would not be able to store them, so I just have them changed twice a year, keep them (both sets of 4 tyres) for 2 years approx.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"Thanks Wrtah and Nucs - I change tyres twice a year, once in April (ish) and once before the winter season, usually end of November. My tyres last a couple of years, both winter and summer tyres. I am not sure how have two sets would save me money? Am I being thick here lol? "

You do not have to pay to have there's put on to rims, or are you friendly with local tyre fitter

over a year ago

You lot need to know a nice friendly guy that runs a very successful garage! the garage I run turnsover more than £1million a year selling tyres. Kwik-fit we are not lol. X

over a year ago

the legal limit in uk is 1.6 mm. Best way to check on your own is to put a 20p coin in the tread. If you can see the lil raised edge of the coin your tyre needs replacing.

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

I think you will find the minimum legal reguirement is 1.6mm across 75% of the tread....

Head to halfords or an autoparts shop and pick up a tyre tread gauge and just keep it in the car ..the shop assistant will show you how to use and read it

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"You lot need to know a nice friendly guy that runs a very successful garage! the garage I run turnsover more than £1million a year selling tyres. Kwik-fit we are not lol. X"

To be fair a blind bloke could change a set of wheels, I know I did.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

4mm? Isn't the minimum 1.6mm over the centre 75% of the tread ;-

)"

Fucking kwik fit rip off artists!!!!!!!! Told me 4mm for my tyres!!!!!

over a year ago

I know. I get customer complaining every day about shit-fit!! At least dick Turpin wore a mask!?!?!?

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Just outside St Ives is a tyre fitters called slow fit

over a year ago

Shit. I thought the £125 a corner I pay was expensive.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Shit. I thought the £125 a corner I pay was expensive. "
Nope, 150 per tyre for me

By *erebothbiCouple
over a year ago

howden

asda tyres .com

over a year ago

"Shit. I thought the £125 a corner I pay was expensive. Nope, 150 per tyre for me "

I do go through tyres a lot. I bought some Dunlop Sportmax last time and got 6000 miles out of them, and I don't even tear around.

over a year ago

4mm? Isn't the minimum 1.6mm over the centre 75% of the tread"

The legal limit for car tyre tread depth is 1.6mm (across 75% of the tyre). However, the deeper the tread the more grip you have. It is recommended that you replace your tyres when the tread is less than 3mm as the performance of the tyre will begin to reduce significantly.

over a year ago

Ruler...."

Rulers usually have 3 or 4 mm from the end of the ruler to zero... Kids love a good chew

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Shit. I thought the £125 a corner I pay was expensive. Nope, 150 per tyre for me

I do go through tyres a lot. I bought some Dunlop Sportmax last time and got 6000 miles out of them, and I don't even tear around."

I get about 12000 out of my winter tyres and I drive sensibly most of the time.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

I presume we're talking £300 for all 4..? Sounds about right to me.

If my lottery numbers ever come up then I'm buying myself a Nissan GT-R. Tyres for that are more than £300 each!

over a year ago

wow glad im a mchanic and get my tyres for free after reading this we only put £10 +vat on to the price we bye them in for at my place i.e £90 + £10 +20% =£120

over a year ago

buy used on ebay, then get fitted at local place.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"Shit. I thought the £125 a corner I pay was expensive. Nope, 150 per tyre for me

I do go through tyres a lot. I bought some Dunlop Sportmax last time and got 6000 miles out of them, and I don't even tear around."

My experience with the Yokohamas I replaced last year was similar

over a year ago

"I presume we're talking £300 for all 4..? Sounds about right to me.

If my lottery numbers ever come up then I'm buying myself a Nissan GT-R. Tyres for that are more than £300 each! "

bugatie verion tryes are £5000 each and thay can only be fitted in germany

over a year ago

I do go through tyres a lot. I bought some Dunlop Sportmax last time and got 6000 miles out of them, and I don't even tear around.I get about 12000 out of my winter tyres and I drive sensibly most of the time. "

I have just spat nuts at the screen - usually ????? lol

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

I do go through tyres a lot. I bought some Dunlop Sportmax last time and got 6000 miles out of them, and I don't even tear around.I get about 12000 out of my winter tyres and I drive sensibly most of the time.

I have just spat nuts at the screen - usually ????? lol "

I am still trying to work out how that helps me with my expensive winter tyres...;-)

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

245/45 ZR18, will check out Tom Ta

Where have you been getting quotes? Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are top end tires are only £195 and a good qal mid range Vredesteins are only £160.

But if you really are after snow tyres you wont be after ZR's as they are a hard compound for high speeds. Snow/winter tyres are for cold weather use and hot high performance.

Best bet for all round use would be Dunlop 205/45 ZR18 90Ws at around £150 a corner. "

paid 60-80 a corner on my bmw in budget

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

I have just spat nuts at the screen - usually ????? lol "

not wheel nuts I hope

Wolf

By *erebothbiCouple
over a year ago

howden

reading some of the advise given on these posts is scary.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"reading some of the advise given on these posts is scary.

"

I agree. Especially when it is thought that lady drivers don t have a clue lol

By *pecifically1Woman
over a year ago

Hull

Same here! "

same here but mine's a company car so it's easy for me....

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"reading some of the advise given on these posts is scary.

"

over a year ago

"Mine are over 300 each, yikes!"

I thogut paying £180 for a rear tyre and £120 for the front on a motorbike was a bit steep, glad I only have to buy two tyres now

over a year ago

Event tyres are usually competitive on price and usually discount if buying more than one. They are a mobile service too do you can get them fitted at work if you need to.

My car has run flats and generally cost about £140 a corner for Dunlop Sport SP01s. As it has pressure sensors on each tyre, and is set up for run flats it is not recommended that you put standard tyres on under any circumstances, so I have been told.

By *erebothbiCouple
over a year ago

howden

Why ???

over a year ago

As far as I am aware a cars suspension settings are linked to the size of wheel and the rubber that they have on them. As run flats have reinforced sidewalls they have a firmer ride and the suspension settings reflect this. Putting standard rubber on will mean the car will handle differently, unless you go to the lengths of getting the suspension settings adjusted.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

I do go through tyres a lot. I bought some Dunlop Sportmax last time and got 6000 miles out of them, and I don't even tear around.I get about 12000 out of my winter tyres and I drive sensibly most of the time.

I have just spat nuts at the screen - usually ????? lol I am still trying to work out how that helps me with my expensive winter tyres...;-)"

your post sounded as if you were buying a new set every 6mths and not just swapping them over, then refitting the old ones later

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

I have just spat nuts at the screen - usually ????? lol I am still trying to work out how that helps me with my expensive winter tyres...;-)"

It doesn't really, quite a lot of English do not know you can buy tyres for different weather conditions

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"..........

bugatie verion tryes are £5000 each and thay can only be fitted in germany "

Isn't that against EU law?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I suppose how much you object to paying for tyres is about how seriously you take safety.

Not so much a case of 'more show than go' as 'more show than stop'.

over a year ago

Think your tyres are worth more than my car lol

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

I have just spat nuts at the screen - usually ????? lol I am still trying to work out how that helps me with my expensive winter tyres...;-)

your post sounded as if you were buying a new set every 6mths and not just swapping them over, then refitting the old ones later "

Ah I see - all is starting to make sense now

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

I have just spat nuts at the screen - usually ????? lol I am still trying to work out how that helps me with my expensive winter tyres...;-)

your post sounded as if you were buying a new set every 6mths and not just swapping them over, then refitting the old ones later Ah I see - all is starting to make sense now "

Finally

But in your defence I have two sets of wheels for both of my vehicles and snow socks for one. The other has all terrain soft compound with snow chains and winch. We get bad weather in Dudley.

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

I always vowed to buy new tyres. However in Aug 2011 I needed to replace all 4 as a nice person slashed them. As I was skint I bought 2 new for the front and went to ASM for to part worn for the back. They cost 50 quid then paid a fiver to have them fitted. They are still good

Post new Message to Thread