Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

young ones get harsh time?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It seem on here a lot of people dont like youngster's specially males, we get told were "boys" or immature, get pulled up for our text speak, and spelling etc, but I dont get it, cause in reality, older people seem to be just as bad.....In birmingham i see my parents mates, or my mates parents, and people from just around, and I tell you now a lot of them are a lot worse, less hygienic, and tend to have more of a chip on the shoulder......obviously some older people r loverly.....so surley the person should be judged and not the number...........

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

SOME of the young men, and it's invariably young men, don't help themselves.

SOME believe they're the dogs bollocks and are here to do the "cougars" a favour.

Young men acting the big I am who are younger than my kids and not much older than some of the food I have in my cupboards don't impress me much. Those that keep the swagger in check have a whale of a time!

over a year ago

"not much older than some of the food I have in my cupboards "

ha ha that made me laugh. fair one

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

As a young bloke, my opinion is that text speak is for idiots.

As for the other things, a lot of guys seem to ruin it for the rest of us... but that happens EVERYWHERE and not just on this site!

By *hinaManMan
over a year ago

Twickenham

"As a young bloke, my opinion is that text speak is for idiots.

As for the other things, a lot of guys seem to ruin it for the rest of us... but that happens EVERYWHERE and not just on this site!"

But by demonstrating a mature mentality and a good attitude it will make you stand out especially if you are a younger guy surely?

over a year ago

"But by demonstrating a mature mentality and a good attitude it will make you stand out especially if you are a younger guy surely? "

While I'm pretty new, I'm hoping so!

over a year ago

As for the other things, a lot of guys seem to ruin it for the rest of us... but that happens EVERYWHERE and not just on this site!"

text speak has been proven to require the same amount of intelligence, memory, and brain function as any other form of written word, it's a convieniance method of writing, which used in the right context, or forum, is a perfectly acceptable way of communicating, however, it is when it is used in in texts such as for e.g, university work, professional documents, c.v's etc that it becomes unacceptable.

A lot of people dismiss it, and say it's stupid in a unimaginative way of trying to make themselves look intelligent. when in fact they are just dismissing a modern day form of written language, which millions use everyday to communicate quickly efficiently.

over a year ago

Text speak is lazy.

If you write like that we may think you talk like that.

It's better to meet people with good communication skills rather than someone who looks like they have put no effort in.

over a year ago

"Text speak is lazy.

It's better to meet people with good communication skills rather than someone who looks like they have put no effort in. "

would the lack of punctuation in your post class as lack of effort, or do we just assume you talk really fast.

over a year ago

Feel free to correct my post and put the punctuation in where you think I left it out young man.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 31/01/13 02:06:19]

over a year ago

really not doing yourself any favours mike

over a year ago

"really not doing yourself any favours mike"

over a year ago

"Text speak is lazy.

It's better to meet people with good communication skills, rather than someone who looks like they have put no effort in."

comma after the word "skills" ....just saying

over a year ago

"really not doing yourself any favours mike

"

y not, i put a well thought out opinion on, which got dismissed when i got told years worth of academic research, by top academics is pointless, and told it was lazy, and then corrected that person. whats the harm in that,

over a year ago

As for the other things, a lot of guys seem to ruin it for the rest of us... but that happens EVERYWHERE and not just on this site!

text speak has been proven to require the same amount of intelligence, memory, and brain function as any other form of written word, it's a convieniance method of writing, which used in the right context, or forum, is a perfectly acceptable way of communicating, however, it is when it is used in in texts such as for e.g, university work, professional documents, c.v's etc that it becomes unacceptable.

A lot of people dismiss it, and say it's stupid in a unimaginative way of trying to make themselves look intelligent. when in fact they are just dismissing a modern day form of written language, which millions use everyday to communicate quickly efficiently."

over a year ago

"Text speak is lazy.

It's better to meet people with good communication skills, rather than someone who looks like they have put no effort in.

comma after the word "skills" ....just saying"

So why would you be putting a coma there Mikey boy ?

over a year ago

I dont have that problem As i dont do text i hate it and im very respectfull

over a year ago

"Text speak is lazy.

It's better to meet people with good communication skills, rather than someone who looks like they have put no effort in.

comma after the word "skills" ....just saying

So why would you be putting a coma there Mikey boy ? "

for the natural pause when repeating the sentence out loud.

over a year ago

But it doesn't need a natural pause as it is a run-on sentence.

over a year ago

"I dont have that problem As i dont do text i hate it and im very respectfull "

you obviously dont do punctuation either, however it appears you do put capital letters half way through sentences.

im not claiming to be punctuation king, im saying text speak is fine, just saying before people shoot my punctuation down ha ha, but if people r gonna say they r against text speak cuz they hate it, and its lazy, then they gotta do there punctuation too, otherwise they r contradicting themselves rendering them hypocrites

over a year ago

y not, i put a well thought out opinion on, which got dismissed when i got told years worth of academic research, by top academics is pointless, and told it was lazy, and then corrected that person. whats the harm in that, "

I guess the way you are coming across is a little aggressive and defensive. You obviously should stand by what you said as that is how you feel but try and be open/respectful to other peoples points of views. MissD x

over a year ago

"But it doesn't need a natural pause as it is a run-on sentence. "
no it isn't

over a year ago

i think its all about the moderation of the txt writing i get told all the time my txts are like trying to decipher a coded letter so as long as its not over the top it shouldnt really matter its not an english exzam people who get a grump on because of it need to lighten up and realize its not only ignorant but shallow to judge people on how they wright a mesage its the person that counts not the spelling

over a year ago

y not, i put a well thought out opinion on, which got dismissed when i got told years worth of academic research, by top academics is pointless, and told it was lazy, and then corrected that person. whats the harm in that,

I guess the way you are coming across is a little aggressive and defensive. You obviously should stand by what you said as that is how you feel but try and be open/respectful to other peoples points of views. MissD x"

yes but thats exactly what people were doing to my point of view, so bad as each other at best

over a year ago

"But it doesn't need a natural pause as it is a run-on sentence. no it isn't "

Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

By *olly Gentle GiantMan
over a year ago

Glenrothes

I think you have answered your own question. Txt spk has a time n place but the consensus of the forum is that txt spk is not sppropriate on a forum thread.

When in Rome as they say....

The thing about forums is tthat they are, for many, simply an online means if discussing with friends near and far in a manner that one would use verbally in a pub, restaurant etc..

One would not talk txt spk, would one? Therefore, if one does not speak In txt spk, why would one write in txt spk.

One other point is that all Fabbers need to earn respect from those with whom we would seek to engage in carnal pusuits. If, for example, the "Queen's English" or "Braid Scots" or Brummie" or "Geordie" or "Invernessian" is the norm in any forum, one would be best advised to follow the norm rather than seeking to impose personal views.

One would surely wish to be seen as being democratic rather than autocratic.

over a year ago

A lot of people dismiss it, and say it's stupid in a unimaginative way of trying to make themselves look intelligent. when in fact they are just dismissing a modern day form of written language, which millions use everyday to communicate quickly efficiently."

WOW well done this is great.you tell them because it seems like if someone uses text speech they think you're dumb and dull.I have come across people like that before and it's quite rude of them "TBH"

over a year ago

"But it doesn't need a natural pause as it is a run-on sentence. no it isn't

Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes. "

but i never just disagreed, thats exactly what people did to me, i didnt just say flat out your wrong, i put a argument across, as of the "no it isn't" remark, well it isnt is it, cuz a run on sentence is when theres 2 different subject matters,

over a year ago

"I think you have answered your own question. Txt spk has a time n place but the consensus of the forum is that txt spk is not sppropriate on a forum thread.

When in Rome as they say....

The thing about forums is tthat they are, for many, simply an online means if discussing with friends near and far in a manner that one would use verbally in a pub, restaurant etc..

One would not talk txt spk, would one? Therefore, if one does not speak In txt spk, why would one write in txt spk.

One other point is that all Fabbers need to earn respect from those with whom we would seek to engage in carnal pusuits. If, for example, the "Queen's English" or "Braid Scots" or Brummie" or "Geordie" or "Invernessian" is the norm in any forum, one would be best advised to follow the norm rather than seeking to impose personal views.

One would surely wish to be seen as being democratic rather than autocratic."

however theres no overall norm in the forum, some people text speak some don't. so although i see what yoour saying, you could just as easily say every1 should comply with text speakers and speak in text speak.

over a year ago

Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

but i never just disagreed, thats exactly what people did to me, i didnt just say flat out your wrong, i put a argument across, as of the "no it isn't" remark, well it isnt is it, cuz a run on sentence is when theres 2 different subject matters, "

A run-on sentence doesn't need to have two different subject matters , it's when two or more sentences are joined without appropriate punctuation.

By *olly Gentle GiantMan
over a year ago

Glenrothes

Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes. "

Practical Criticism of written or oral word is healthy and to be encouraged. Difficulty is when the author cannot/ willnot/doesnot accept criticism of a negative outlok.

over a year ago

but i never just disagreed, thats exactly what people did to me, i didnt just say flat out your wrong, i put a argument across, as of the "no it isn't" remark, well it isnt is it, cuz a run on sentence is when theres 2 different subject matters, "

also nice try for trying to baffle me. almost work i did have to read it twice....

over a year ago

Practical Criticism of written or oral word is healthy and to be encouraged. Difficulty is when the author cannot/ willnot/doesnot accept criticism of a negative outlok."

touchè

over a year ago

I'm not one for using text speech while in the forums or in text messages but sometimes when I'm busy or out and about I will do as it's can be quicker and easier.

I suppose it's a case of each to there own.

over a year ago

but i never just disagreed, thats exactly what people did to me, i didnt just say flat out your wrong, i put a argument across, as of the "no it isn't" remark, well it isnt is it, cuz a run on sentence is when theres 2 different subject matters,

A run-on sentence doesn't need to have two different subject matters , it's when two or more sentences are joined without appropriate punctuation. "

no its like "i didnt take the chicken out the freezer we wont be eating tonight" thats a run on sentence

By *olly Gentle GiantMan
over a year ago

Glenrothes

"But it doesn't need a natural pause as it is a run-on sentence. no it isn't "

Actually, it is.!!

"Rather than" is the subordinate conjunction if I am not mistaken. There is therefore no requirement for a comma.

over a year ago

A run-on sentence doesn't need to have two different subject matters , it's when two or more sentences are joined without appropriate punctuation.

no its like "i didnt take the chicken out the freezer we wont be eating tonight" thats a run on sentence "

also, just for kicks, if you used a run on sentence in most professional writing formats it would be considered a mistake. so either way if your argument for text speak is "its lazy" then you have no right for using run-on sentences, which you didn't anyway cause it wasn't a run-on sentence.

over a year ago

Actually, it is.!!

"Rather than" is the subordinate conjunction if I am not mistaken. There is therefore no requirement for a comma."

yes but a comma would still be required

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 31/01/13 02:49:28]

By *olly Gentle GiantMan
over a year ago

Glenrothes

no its like "i didnt take the chicken out the freezer we wont be eating tonight" thats a run on sentence "

I beg to differ. These are separate sentences. For it to be a run on sentence you would need a coordinating conjunction such as "and" or "so".

over a year ago

no its like "i didnt take the chicken out the freezer we wont be eating tonight" thats a run on sentence

I beg to differ. These are separate sentences. For it to be a run on sentence you would need a coordinating conjunction such as "and" or "so".

"

yes that is right it would,

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 31/01/13 02:49:28]"

and its all gone quiet over there

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

One of partners in the firm of solicitors I deal with always writes emails to me in text and abbreviations. They are usually short notes to say he's on it, or will get back to me type things.

However, I know when his full update arrives it'll be word perfect. I know him, his text speak doesn't put me off as I know he's incredibly busy and I feel chuffed he's taken the time to respond to little old me.

However, if he was on here and sent me a text message I'd ignore him. Text speak doesn't equal dumbass, but why alienate yourself? Why should I need a Rosetta Stone to decipher a message?

I mean...come on now!

over a year ago

gonna come clean, i dont have a clue what a run on sentance is, just fancied a bit forum based banter, as i stuggle with my sleep pattern, while i lie here longing for tiredness to reach me, and as it happens ive bord myself to tiredness, so congratulations, victory is yours, thank you to my comrades who defended my noble cause, which i still stand by, and that is the one about the text speak. but run on sentances is yours. no offence ment if i upset any sensitive souls out there.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

y not, i put a well thought out opinion on, which got dismissed when i got told years worth of academic research, by top academics is pointless, and told it was lazy, and then corrected that person. whats the harm in that, "

Sadly, you're reverting to (young men) type. They come whinging and whining on the forums every...day...moaning about not being seeing as mature blah blah, then they're giving the advice they seek. Do they accept it with good grace?!! Yeah...right.

Presto, chango...petulant brattish responses.

Sigh...

over a year ago

A lot of people dismiss it, and say it's stupid in a unimaginative way of trying to make themselves look intelligent. when in fact they are just dismissing a modern day form of written language, which millions use everyday to communicate quickly efficiently.

One of partners in the firm of solicitors I deal with always writes emails to me in text and abbreviations. They are usually short notes to say he's on it, or will get back to me type things.

However, I know when his full update arrives it'll be word perfect. I know him, his text speak doesn't put me off as I know he's incredibly busy and I feel chuffed he's taken the time to respond to little old me.

However, if he was on here and sent me a text message I'd ignore him. Text speak doesn't equal dumbass, but why alienate yourself? Why should I need a Rosetta Stone to decipher a message?

I mean...come on now!"

Good point. I respect your reply and even agree with you, if only everyone argued properly like that, we wouldn't have this big boring forum thread would we.

however my point about how if people saying they hate text speak cuz its lazy then those people are condemning themselves to having to have grammatically perfect posts/messages all the time. otherwise they r being hypocritical

By *olly Gentle GiantMan
over a year ago

Glenrothes

Hark - I doth hear a bugler sounding the retreat!!!

over a year ago

Sadly, you're reverting to (young men) type. They come whinging and whining on the forums every...day...moaning about not being seeing as mature blah blah, then they're giving the advice they seek. Do they accept it with good grace?!! Yeah...right.

Sigh... "

ha ha maybe i am, feels great to be young thoe, young free fit as a fidle fresh petulant arrogeant and brattish, aahhhhh ill leave being right about everything for when im older i think and just let you guys win

By *mithy_86Couple
over a year ago

cheltenham

This post needs to bore off! Who gives a monkeys?? X

over a year ago

Sigh... "

Haha love irony.

Ur whinging that's he whinging and not accepting that some people don't care about how things are written

So as an older person ur showing the attitude u know best haha

over a year ago

I mean...come on now!

Good point. I respect your reply and even agree with you, if only everyone argued properly like that, we wouldn't have this big boring forum thread would we.

however my point about how if people saying they hate text speak cuz its lazy then those people are condemning themselves to having to have grammatically perfect posts/messages all the time. otherwise they r being hypocritical "

Each to their own

Personally if someone is that anal about apelling and grammar then for me it comes across as very "I am the best and must be bowed down to" attitude and I happily walk on by..

No big deal, it just another way of finding someone I would get on with

over a year ago

"really not doing yourself any favours mike"

Given his spelling mistakes and lack of grammar In his original post, no he isn't like pot calling kettle black

over a year ago

That is a load of rubbish, I suggest you back up your findings.

If what you say us true they'd be teaching it in school

over a year ago

Sigh... "

over a year ago

I wouldn't say idiots as it depends on when its used, for example, using text speak on a mobile, especially an old one to me would be perfectly acceptable.

As to your other comment, age doesn't make a difference nor being single or a couple to spoil it for others

over a year ago

"

No it isn't

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

My fuckbuddy and I want an extra guy and we have had the most boring, unimaginative, grammar and spelling howlers, txt speak mesages and rudeness after i decline them from men desperate to have sex with us. Our profiles are pretty clear and they simply don't match up. Quality......no effort in a message means no effort in sex in our book.

over a year ago

I mean...come on now!

however my point about how if people saying they hate text speak cuz its lazy then those people are condemning themselves to having to have grammatically perfect posts/messages all the time. otherwise they r being hypocritical "

I hate text speak but don't claim to be grammatically correct I. My writing. I would rather read a message with full words and a misplaced comma, than a message in text code that I don't understand or have to dicipher with urban dictionary.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"My fuckbuddy and I want an extra guy and we have had the most boring, unimaginative, grammar and spelling howlers, txt speak mesages and rudeness after i decline them from men desperate to have sex with us. Our profiles are pretty clear and they simply don't match up. Quality......no effort in a message means no effort in sex in our book. "

Yes, I added my own spelling mistake for irony.....thanks for the pm!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

So, the original point was that rudeness and bad manners are not the sole territory of the young and I agree. I also think that text speak is fine in it's place my father who is now 85 used phrases such as asap and pdq as a short form of communication text is many steps on from that but born from the same idea. Of however we received a message in text speak or saw a forum post in it we would be less inclined to read it because it's an indicator of attitude and maturity I'm our opinion.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

A run-on sentence doesn't need to have two different subject matters , it's when two or more sentences are joined without appropriate punctuation. "

You make it sound like a run on sentence is a correct form, or were you just trying to confuse the poor fucker ?

over a year ago

"That is a load of rubbish, I suggest you back up your findings.

If what you say us true they'd be teaching it in school

"

To be fair to him it's not a load of rubbish. There are studies claiming that people who use it (effectively) are more literate than those who don't - obviously that's based on additional and appropriate use, not exclusive use. If all you've learned is txt spk then those studies are irrelevant. On the other hand if you just can't be bothered to write appropriately you're lazy or ignorant to the needs of others.

Some schools do teach it - I wrote the stuff they use to teach it

Some Irish poet maybe summed up this chat "The error of youth is believing intelligence is a substitute for experience, while the error of age is believing experience is a substitute for intelligence"

I hate twats that throw quotes around but I also like the one that says 'I'm too old to know everything'.

Post new Message to Thread