Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The youth of today....

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Worries me! Recently placed an advertisement for an apprentice on our careers website. Out of 15 applicants, I have had, one, yes one C.V that actually reads well and does not contain poor spelling and grammar. I am sure that at eighteen I could string a coherent sentence together and use a spell check.

Rant over.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Worries me! Recently placed an advertisement for an apprentice on our careers website. Out of 15 applicants, I have had, one, yes one C.V that actually reads well and does not contain poor spelling and grammar. I am sure that at eighteen I could string a coherent sentence together and use a spell check.

Rant over."

Blame the schools. Anyone who is capable of stringing a sentence together is automatically seen as university fodder. That's why we need migrants to do all the jobs our kids are now too educated to do. My rant over

over a year ago

Apprentise for what may i ask?

over a year ago

Careful, u sound like ur parents

over a year ago

"Apprentise for what may i ask? "

Warehouse/trade counter mainly but to include sales office occasionally.

over a year ago

"Careful, u sound like ur parents "

haha I thought exactly that

Scary how quickly we become what we once hated.

By *nnejohnCouple
over a year ago

warrington

just when did trainee warehouse/sales person become apprentice?

over a year ago

"Worries me! Recently placed an advertisement for an apprentice on our careers website. Out of 15 applicants, I have had, one, yes one C.V that actually reads well and does not contain poor spelling and grammar. I am sure that at eighteen I could string a coherent sentence together and use a spell check.

Rant over."

its not like tht in ireland!ppl screaming out for jobs but theres none!

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"just when did trainee warehouse/sales person become apprentice?"

I was thinking the same thing.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Since the government started paying for apprenticeships.

My branch recently took on an apprentice. She is paid £120 a week, which the government pays, doesn't come out of our budget, she does 41 hours, and does exactly the same job as we all do.

over a year ago

Well if it's one of the £2.65 an hour 'apprenticeships' that may explain the applicants?

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"just when did trainee warehouse/sales person become apprentice?"
when apprentisess can be paid £2.40per hour to circumvent the minimum wage thats when

By *nnejohnCouple
over a year ago

warrington

can you swap em when the gov.stops paying?

sounds exploitative

over a year ago

Rant over."

Look on the bright side, no need for lengthy pointless inter_iews with people who stand no chance of getting the job. Just shortlist the one CV that's legible and rubber stamp him/her for the job.

over a year ago

I get a lot of really bad C.V's sent into me and find it very annoying.

As most are done on word and should be spell checked,also if not sure of the layout google some and take a look.

over a year ago

"Careful, u sound like ur parents "

Guilty as charged

over a year ago

"I get a lot of really bad C.V's sent into me and find it very annoying.

As most are done on word and should be spell checked,also if not sure of the layout google some and take a look. "

Pretty much my point. If an applicant can't be bothered to double check their C.V. Then how do I know that they will be bothered to double check things at work.

over a year ago

As most are done on word and should be spell checked,also if not sure of the layout google some and take a look.

Pretty much my point. If an applicant can't be bothered to double check their C.V. Then how do I know that they will be bothered to double check things at work."

This is why CV's are the first part of the selection process.

I don't think its a new occurance.. I'm sure if u ask older generations of how it was they would say a simular thing

over a year ago

"can you swap em when the gov.stops paying?

sounds exploitative"

No obligation to keep them after 12 months but they will have gained an NVQ qualification during that time. So far we have a very good record of keeping apprentices employed after their 12 months and have an increasing number moving into management positions. I would rather take young people and have them work my way given the chance.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Rant over.

Blame the schools. Anyone who is capable of stringing a sentence together is automatically seen as university fodder. That's why we need migrants to do all the jobs our kids are now too educated to do. My rant over "

wy not blame the parents, it is their responsibility to make sure their children are applying themselves etc, sitting down to do their homework with them.

Just this evening i sat with my nephew doing homework on Neil Armstrong. It was lovely sitting with him watching him do his best neat writing, making him try to spell the words before i would tell him how to.

i think its sad that some children dont have parets that spend that time with them

over a year ago

Pretty much my point. If an applicant can't be bothered to double check their C.V. Then how do I know that they will be bothered to double check things at work.

I don't think its a new occurance.. I'm sure if u ask older generations of how it was they would say a simular thing"

And young people should have this drummed into them at school! Surely teaching them how to apply for jobs and holding mock inter_iews would be no bad thing?

over a year ago

Rant over.

Blame the schools. Anyone who is capable of stringing a sentence together is automatically seen as university fodder. That's why we need migrants to do all the jobs our kids are now too educated to do. My rant over

wy not blame the parents, it is their responsibility to make sure their children are applying themselves etc, sitting down to do their homework with them.

Just this evening i sat with my nephew doing homework on Neil Armstrong. It was lovely sitting with him watching him do his best neat writing, making him try to spell the words before i would tell him how to.

i think its sad that some children dont have parets that spend that time with them "

Agreed!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I don't think its a new occurance.. I'm sure if u ask older generations of how it was they would say a simular thing

And young people should have this drummed into them at school! Surely teaching them how to apply for jobs and holding mock inter_iews would be no bad thing?"

A lot of schools already do this....

over a year ago

"And young people should have this drummed into them at school! Surely teaching them how to apply for jobs and holding mock inter_iews would be no bad thing?"

They do - some pick it up, some don't. Those applying for a warehouse apprenticeship at 18 years old are maybe less likely to be the ones who do.

As they're applying to be able to continue their education with you in return for some cheap labour, maybe your company could help with their education in paperwork skills too?

re. homework - I don't think that homework itself is the answer, more perhaps that those parents prepared (or able!) to sit down and do stuff with their kids are more likely to have kids willing to learn.

over a year ago

All the blame is not on the youth ! The apprentise system is a sham I have had an apprentise brickie and a carpenter and the stuff they are taught in college is very outdated in techniques and materials! Instead of teaching them do actually do the work t is all about health and safety and paperwork just to cover they're arse's. It is also sad that the system makes it very difficult for anyone undef 18 to actually get a job due to rules and regulations. The point I am makeing is do we want a generation who knows how to do the paperwork and is clueless about actually doing the job in hand because that is how we are heading .

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Are mostly a joy... Eager & keen to learn.

Met some last week who are new into business and they were superb.

over a year ago

"Since the government started paying for apprenticeships.

My branch recently took on an apprentice. She is paid £120 a week, which the government pays, doesn't come out of our budget, she does 41 hours, and does exactly the same job as we all do.

"

My son was an apprentice mechanic on the same, when he got qualified they didn't increase his wage, works somewhere else now on proper money and is taking the MOT testers course. Not bad for some who left school with barely any qualifications though he did have to take English and Maths whilst at college so he could do the mechanics apprenticeship

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"And young people should have this drummed into them at school! Surely teaching them how to apply for jobs and holding mock inter_iews would be no bad thing?

They do - some pick it up, some don't. Those applying for a warehouse apprenticeship at 18 years old are maybe less likely to be the ones who do.

As they're applying to be able to continue their education with you in return for some cheap labour, maybe your company could help with their education in paperwork skills too?

re. homework - I don't think that homework itself is the answer, more perhaps that those parents prepared (or able!) to sit down and do stuff with their kids are more likely to have kids willing to learn."

Good points, i agree, Z

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"All the blame is not on the youth ! The apprentise system is a sham I have had an apprentise brickie and a carpenter and the stuff they are taught in college is very outdated in techniques and materials! Instead of teaching them do actually do the work t is all about health and safety and paperwork just to cover they're arse's. It is also sad that the system makes it very difficult for anyone undef 18 to actually get a job due to rules and regulations. The point I am makeing is do we want a generation who knows how to do the paperwork and is clueless about actually doing the job in hand because that is how we are heading ."

with respect given the injury and fatality rate within the construction industy, Health and Safety is very necessary...

over a year ago

im 24, all my mates who did apprenterships including plastering, bricky, elctritian, roofer, loads and loads, most of em dont do it now, cuz recession hit at the wrong time for people my age, and there was no work in the building trade, and what work was there was for much more experienced workers, so a lot of them now work at land rover, jag, who however do pay well, just very boring, point being, apprentership was waste of time. spelling also just ent as much of a big deal for younger people, we got spellcheck, and we been bought up with text speak, we know nothing else its normal for us, older people need to chill out and except it, i would say thoe i personally would make sure it was correct on somthing like a c.v, but like on here no chance i ent got the time.

over a year ago

Whilst clearly in the o p it comes across bad on part of youth i get annoyed when the youth get slagged off mainly on press you only hear about the bad ones not the majority who wish to get on.

Each year when a level results come out all we hear is exams must be easy no mention of fact they worked hard to get the result instead of praise they get slagged off how on earth can they expect to be positive about things when told no matter what you do you are crap.

Makes my blood boil.

over a year ago

On the other hand I heard a radio programme about University Challenge on which they said they'd had to make the questions increasingly difficult each year - presumably kids are becoming cleverer.

I don't however agree that "spelling just ent as much of a bigger deal for younger people" - no doubt it isn't for some, but there are plenty who spell perfectly well. The text speak excuse is utter shite - abbreviated language has been shown to require a high level of literacy, it's not an excuse for laziness, particularly when, as you say, the technology is there to assist.

over a year ago

I'm well aware of how important health an safety is in any trade or enviroment but at least 75% is awareness! and common sense ! the point I was trying to make is the paperwork is only there to cover firms arses and not to protect employes.

Post new Message to Thread