Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

21 million

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

In news today our government has said its giving 21 million in aid to syrians seeningly to those who crossed the border.

I feel sympathy yes but yet again when its said we are in a triple dip recession charity should begin at home.

Plenty folk struggling are cast aside personally it sickens me folk in uk are told no dosh available.

Remember cam the sham wants it in law a fixed minimum amount of of our gdp pledged in foreign aid.

If we were well off then yes help others but not when uk is supposedly skint.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Charity does begin at home. That is no reason for it to stop there though.

We may be in a mess but we aren't in as much of a mess as those who have had to leave their homes with only what they can carry.

over a year ago

"Charity does begin at home. That is no reason for it to stop there though.

We may be in a mess but we aren't in as much of a mess as those who have had to leave their homes with only what they can carry."

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Even Spain, with all the severe financial problems they are having to endure, are still maintaining, even increasing, their overseas aid.

Hunger and poverty don't just stop because the West are having some fiscal problems of their own....and £21 million?....just a piss in the ocean.

over a year ago

As one of the richest nations in the world, we have a duty to help others less fortunate. Although i draw the line at giving any money to India and Pakistan, if you can afford nuclear weapons and your own space program, you don't need our aid.

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

no wonder this country is in so much shit , if we keep bailing every other fucking country out ,fuck em and look after ur own country first , dont give em nothing ,

over a year ago

On a purely mercenary note, better to give aid to Syrians in Jordan than to entertain them as guests of the state when they land in dover as immigrants.......

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

i cant this boils my piss i dont like the forum prison food to wanna go back im out

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"On a purely mercenary note, better to give aid to Syrians in Jordan than to entertain them as guests of the state when they land in dover as immigrants......."

Jordan have over the last couple of decades been a true ally to this country as regards the early detection of terrorist cells, if it helps Jordan by us sending £21 million of aid to help with this refugee crisis then it goes without saying we should be sending such aid.

over a year ago

If you knew the numbers involved in govt spending generally, thrn you'd realise that 21 million is a drop in the ocean. Really. It's like giving away 2p

By *umplay1969Man
over a year ago

Coggeshall

2p or 21 million, there's people in this country that need help and what do they get ? Nothing. While there is people having to sleep rough in this country aid shouldn't be going abroad but used here to help the troubled.

Makes me sick how people will walk past a teenager sleeping rough to put money in a charity box only for it to end up lining the pockets of some far flung corrupt goverment.

Charity begins at home.

over a year ago

It already is internationally agreed for counties in UN to put 0.7%GDP to overseas aid,- its in the millenium Development goals....

Whilst I have sympathy with the views, the evidence is clear, money spent stabilising countries that would cause complete turmoil is money well spent, it saves economic havoc for the world, and keeps markets calmer, shoring up share prices, and facilitating good international trade, and investment. If countries were allowed to descend into complete farce, then business sentiment takes a dip, and economic output is lower.

Sorry for being the boring one!

By *umplay1969Man
over a year ago

Coggeshall

And I understand all of that but why can't OUR government help OUR people ?

Get our own house in order then help others.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"And I understand all of that but why can't OUR government help OUR people ? "

'Cos they don't want to. They help their pals but **** the rest.

over a year ago

The government does help our people. Just look at the size of the benefits bill.

Whether or not the money is well spent is another matter.

Doesn't alter the fact that to us as a nation £21 million is small change but to someone who has walked their family to another country in fear of their lives it is a life saver.

By *umplay1969Man
over a year ago

Coggeshall

If you walk the streets of London or any other city or town in this country your sure to see all those people sleeping rough that the government is supposed to have helped.

Benefits are paid out to those with an address, not something a homeless person has.

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

By *obandruthCouple
over a year ago

wolverhampton

21 million is a lot of money and should be spent on our own people , well you can see where your high tax money is going old people dieing from the cold in the uk and your money goes to another country shame on the goverment sack the lot .

over a year ago

"And I understand all of that but why can't OUR government help OUR people ?

Get our own house in order then help others.

"

The answer that one is clear, don't vote Tory if you want people at home to be helped.

Foreign aid not only helps those given the aid but also stops economic immigration and also reduces the incidence of asylum seekers (which is ng far a minor form of population movement).

By *umplay1969Man
over a year ago

Coggeshall

Don't be drawn into the trap of thinking another goverment will do anything different. All a bunch of wasters, liers and cheats.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Don't be drawn into the trap of thinking another goverment will do anything different. All a bunch of wasters, liers and cheats. "

So your preference is for ............ ?

over a year ago

"Even Spain, with all the severe financial problems they are having to endure, are still maintaining, even increasing, their overseas aid.

Hunger and poverty don't just stop because the West are having some fiscal problems of their own....and £21 million?....just a piss in the ocean."

21 million would keep Great Ormond Street childrens' hospital operating for 14 months, but as you say, just a piss in the ocean.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Trade not aid....however, some 'seedcorn' money is needed to stimulate sustainable trade. £21m isn't much money. I think people would be more willing to give to charities and be happier with any government aid programme if we knew exactly where and how the money was spent, and a review a few months later to see if it had made any impact.

By *umplay1969Man
over a year ago

Coggeshall

"Don't be drawn into the trap of thinking another goverment will do anything different. All a bunch of wasters, liers and cheats.

So your preference is for ............ ?"

none of the cheating bastards.

We've been giving aid for bloody years and where's it all gone ?

Lining the pockets of the corrupt and buying arms.

CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME.

And that's where it should end.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Don't be drawn into the trap of thinking another goverment will do anything different. All a bunch of wasters, liers and cheats.

So your preference is for ............ ?none of the cheating bastards.

"

There's a reason why 'none of the above' isn't an option on the ballot paper.

By all means express your displeasure with the current system/ parties but you need to offer an alternative - unless you're an anarchist

" We've been giving aid for bloody years and where's it all gone ?

CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME.

"

I have reservations about how and where the money is spent. It seems pointless keeping babies alive (just 'cos it makes good adverts) so they can grow into adults we can't feed, clothe, water or employ.

Than, when they realise there's no food, clothing water or jobs, they start yet another war - and it all begins again.

over a year ago

CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME.

"

Can I ask?

Are you advocating that in crisis situation British people stop offeing overseas international aid….

Even if other governments around the world continue to offer substance when and where its needed?

over a year ago

CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME.

"

Would that be your country

your town

your street

your front door?

Post new Message to Thread