Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Casual racism

Jump to newest

By *ranimallxl5 OP   Man
over a year ago

Winchester

I just saw Little Mermaid and I popped out to get a drink and the guy serving me asked what I was seeing and he said it's a shame they have cast a black person as Ariel as she should be white. He was like 20, I thought young people were quite open. I didn't know whether to report his opinions to his manager.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't think racism is age specific

Reply privately

over a year ago

I like challenging those views. ‘Why should Ariel be white?’ Let him mumble himself into a corner

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It's disappointing, for sure.

Ariel is a mermaid for Christ's sake, why does she need to be Caucasian

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I just saw Little Mermaid and I popped out to get a drink and the guy serving me asked what I was seeing and he said it's a shame they have cast a black person as Ariel as she should be white. He was like 20, I thought young people were quite open. I didn't know whether to report his opinions to his manager. "

In everything else Ariel is white with red hair. That's the charecter.

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

"I just saw Little Mermaid and I popped out to get a drink and the guy serving me asked what I was seeing and he said it's a shame they have cast a black person as Ariel as she should be white. He was like 20, I thought young people were quite open. I didn't know whether to report his opinions to his manager. "

I always thought surely Mermaids would be neither black nor white.

We went to see it this afternoon, i woukd say it almost exactly the same as the cartoon. 6.5-7/10

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't think racism is age specific "

I also don't think that his comment was all that 'casual' either though...

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's like people saying Tom cruise shouldn't play jack reacher because he's not 6'5"

Reply privately

By *aggonerMan
over a year ago

for a penny

Did you tell him that the Little Mermaid should be a sort of plaid yellow-grey colour?

I don’t know the other character but if he lives under the sea, he ain’t gonna be suntanned.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I don't know if we've always been this way, but it seems to be something during my adulthood.

People have been rewriting stories since for-fucking-ever.

But now you make a character in a story non-white, and a vocal minority wet themselves and scream blue bloody murder. Christ's sake. Go hire the VHS if you don't like the new version.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's like people saying Tom cruise shouldn't play jack reacher because he's not 6'5" "

And that Idris Elba could never be Bond or that it shouldn’t be a female!

People can have their opinions….I don’t think it’s right to shut them down for it but more to question and understand why!

If you’d asked why I’m sure he’d have said because the character has always known to be white with red hair like the cartoon….which I think a lot of people have stated….he won’t be the only one to give this reason!

Is that racism to think that….I’m not so sure!

Reply privately

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

Surley if they wanted to get the character right, a mermaid of the charactres age would look about 100 year old though the wrinkling of the skin from the water and then to protect the skin, probably looks very slimey not to mention the fact that mermaids are not real so who cares what ethnicity the actor playing her is, so long as the kids going to see the movie enjoy it.

If someone has a problems with it and says so, thank or letting me know who you are so I can avoid you in the future.

Reply privately

over a year ago

NO. That's how it was written/ characterized. It's a view just as anybody's.

Reply privately

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

One would hope that the actress was cast due to her acting and singing abilities not the colour of her skin.

Unfortunately Hollywood has been doing just that for many years.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not much into casual racism, I'm into competitive racism more

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's like people saying Tom cruise shouldn't play jack reacher because he's not 6'5"

And that Idris Elba could never be Bond or that it shouldn’t be a female!

People can have their opinions….I don’t think it’s right to shut them down for it but more to question and understand why!

If you’d asked why I’m sure he’d have said because the character has always known to be white with red hair like the cartoon….which I think a lot of people have stated….he won’t be the only one to give this reason!

Is that racism to think that….I’m not so sure!

"

If you've got a picture of the charecter in your head, it's hard to change the preconceptions.

As for a female bond .... Modesty Blaise! Film the modesty Blaise books and strips

Reply privately

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

It’s been a controversial decision that’s for sure. Just shows how we are influenced by stereotypes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If people are getting all worked up over a fictional character they need to get a life.

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

It's PC gone mad. Everyone knows all mermaids are white. Look at Darryl Hannah in 'Splash'.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's like people saying Tom cruise shouldn't play jack reacher because he's not 6'5" "

He was literally written in the book as a giant of a man at 6’5!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well the Egyptian government is going mad at Netflix over Cleopatra

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's like people saying Tom cruise shouldn't play jack reacher because he's not 6'5"

He was literally written in the book as a giant of a man at 6’5!

"

It's often pointed out that's why he was good at fighting too.

Reply privately

By *angtidy42Couple
over a year ago

Redditch

Is it not the problem of people trying to tag or box everything off.

I have black and brown skinned friends, I don't see the colour I see the person and the friendship.

No doubt someone will say I'm wrong in what I say.

What I do object to is other people's idea of how I should see things and having it pushed onto my face all the time.

As the blues brothers said you me them everybody. We are one race with different creads. Get along with it and respect one another.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well the Egyptian government is going mad at Netflix over Cleopatra "

I don't think factual history should be changed. Maybe they will display Hitler as being a Mongolian drag queen next

Reply privately

By *ndycoinsMan
over a year ago

Whaley Bridge,Nr Buxton,

In classical myth/ legend and reporting mermaids are white.I don't think a 17th century mariner,knackered from a double watch,seeing a wet seal sunbathing on a rock from a distance for the first time gave a moment's thought as to whether his description was "inclusive"or "racist".Not aware of any reports of Trans mermaids either.Depends on whether you want historical/book accuracy or not.

Reply privately

over a year ago

lol a member of staff as well.

I had someone shouting their mouth off being racist to me at a park in Hertfordshire an week ago in front of my child and a load of other children. The subtle racism is exhausting but the blatant stuff is still there too. Racism can’t die out with age because racist attitudes are passed on between generations. The hope that it will is just lazy inaction and denial of the extent of the issue.

Reply privately

By *inkyyorkshireMan
over a year ago

Northallerton

Everybody knows Jesus, God, and Ariel the Mermaid are white lol .

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/05/23 18:09:19]

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"In classical myth/ legend and reporting mermaids are white.I don't think a 17th century mariner,knackered from a double watch,seeing a wet seal sunbathing on a rock from a distance for the first time gave a moment's thought as to whether his description was "inclusive"or "racist".Not aware of any reports of Trans mermaids either.Depends on whether you want historical/book accuracy or not."

If you're expecting historical accuracy from the depiction of a mermaid we have bigger problems

Although grown adults scrambling trying to make inclusivity go away, with the horrific imposition of lack of representation that a black toddler takes into their stride, is hilarious to me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I see things like this as ignorance. I'd have maybe questioned him on why he thought like that and used the opportunity to challenge those views.

No I wouldn't have reported it to his manager after that brief interaction.

Mrs

Reply privately

over a year ago

Does this mean that no one is allowed to make any comments on other races without being called a racist?

I would take the comment as being that the actresses, cartoons have always depicted a white, so why change that. The “PC” world has gone too far.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well the Egyptian government is going mad at Netflix over Cleopatra

I don't think factual history should be changed. Maybe they will display Hitler as being a Mongolian drag queen next "

There is a large African American lady who portrays him as a strong woman of colour.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I prefer OMO to Ariel (Arial) anyway. Lol lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/05/23 18:11:11]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't think factual history should be changed. Maybe they will display Hitler as being a Mongolian drag queen next

There is a large African American lady who portrays him as a strong woman of colour. "

Lol lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"In classical myth/ legend and reporting mermaids are white.I don't think a 17th century mariner,knackered from a double watch,seeing a wet seal sunbathing on a rock from a distance for the first time gave a moment's thought as to whether his description was "inclusive"or "racist".Not aware of any reports of Trans mermaids either.Depends on whether you want historical/book accuracy or not."

Have you never heard of mertheys?

Bess x

Reply privately

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

I’m struggling to see how the young dude’s comment has been described as casual racism??

Reply privately

By *ndycoinsMan
over a year ago

Whaley Bridge,Nr Buxton,

I don't think factual history should be changed. Maybe they will display Hitler as being a Mongolian drag queen next "

Once you start re writing history the truth gets lost and the mistakes of history get repeated.Hitler,Pol Pot,Stalin,Korea's Kim Dynasty,Taliban,all re writers of history,turned out well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Should snow white be portrayed with a different ethnicity? What if I portrayed Jasmin in Aladdin. Is it rascism ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

This thread is not even funny lol.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"This thread is not even funny lol. "

I probably have the privilege to be able to find the whinging hilarious.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This thread is not even funny lol. "
Well we can all be honest.

Reply privately

over a year ago

On the contrary, I've found that it would seem that racism is making something of a comeback and much more prevalent among the younger generation.

Whilst it was still unacceptable, I could understand it among my grandparents generation not because of any reasons other than that seems to be just how society was, but not noticed it among my parents generation and certainly not my own.

Wouldn't dream of making any such racist remarks against anyone.

But now, I have noticed it from some 20 somethings and I find that very concerning.

Perhaps it's linked to the problem of uncontrolled immigration over the past couple of decades that's resulted in some form of subconcious resentment - though in truth, I have no idea where it stems from

Reply privately

By *hGlobbitsMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"It's PC gone mad. Everyone knows all mermaids are white. Look at Darryl Hannah in 'Splash'."

I did. Formative experience, that

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why do people want to make trouble when no offense was intended?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This thread is not even funny lol.

I probably have the privilege to be able to find the whinging hilarious."

Yeah pretty much. Because I can’t even see the funny side these days. But of course shout out to all the black actors finally getting roles other than as a stereotype. I guess

Reply privately

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

The ones from Greek mythology wouldn't have been white and the first ever mermaid was from Syria from 1000bc.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You still thinkng about what to do??

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"This thread is not even funny lol.

I probably have the privilege to be able to find the whinging hilarious.

Yeah pretty much. Because I can’t even see the funny side these days. But of course shout out to all the black actors finally getting roles other than as a stereotype. I guess "

Yeah. I'm sorry. It shouldn't be a thing but here we are. Arguing about why it's wrong to have too much melanin in the skin of a mythic creature.

Reply privately

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Is the film any good?

I've no interest in seeing it I'm a 54year old bloke not a 10 year old girl.

Mind you the Mrs would probably want to see it she loves all that nonsense.

Also is there a singing crab/lobster whatever sang under the sea?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't really see a problem with a mythical creature being portrayed by a female actor of colour (or "black actress" in ye olden days), but I can see the issue could be a difficult one when it comes to portraying real historical figures.

Bess x

Reply privately

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

Much worse, lobsters are blue until they are cooked. Inaccuracies everywhere.

Reply privately

By *ranimallxl5 OP   Man
over a year ago

Winchester

"I just saw Little Mermaid and I popped out to get a drink and the guy serving me asked what I was seeing and he said it's a shame they have cast a black person as Ariel as she should be white. He was like 20, I thought young people were quite open. I didn't know whether to report his opinions to his manager.

"

Because it was written a long time ago where their entire world was white. Things can move on

Reply privately

By *ranimallxl5 OP   Man
over a year ago

Winchester

"Much worse, lobsters are blue until they are cooked. Inaccuracies everywhere."

Sebastian is a crab ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't really see a problem with a mythical creature being portrayed by a female actor of colour (or "black actress" in ye olden days), but I can see the issue could be a difficult one when it comes to portraying real historical figures.

Bess x"

Agree. Sensible post

Reply privately

By *ranimallxl5 OP   Man
over a year ago

Winchester

"Is the film any good?

I've no interest in seeing it I'm a 54year old bloke not a 10 year old girl.

Mind you the Mrs would probably want to see it she loves all that nonsense.

Also is there a singing crab/lobster whatever sang under the sea?

"

it's fine, I'd not pay for it

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

"Should snow white be portrayed with a different ethnicity? What if I portrayed Jasmin in Aladdin. Is it rascism ? "

Yeah, why not? Snow White - a made up, animated character - could be anything at all. I'm sure you'd be a brilliant Jasmine.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

There is more to this story than meets the eye

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Should snow white be portrayed with a different ethnicity? What if I portrayed Jasmin in Aladdin. Is it rascism ?

Yeah, why not? Snow White - a made up, animated character - could be anything at all. I'm sure you'd be a brilliant Jasmine.

"

ok I can play black panther then?

Reply privately

By *ezebel100Woman
over a year ago

Birmingham

[Removed by poster at 27/05/23 18:23:05]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Should snow white be portrayed with a different ethnicity? What if I portrayed Jasmin in Aladdin. Is it rascism ?

ok I can play black panther then? "

Lol worms

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I just saw Little Mermaid and I popped out to get a drink and the guy serving me asked what I was seeing and he said it's a shame they have cast a black person as Ariel as she should be white. He was like 20, I thought young people were quite open. I didn't know whether to report his opinions to his manager.

Because it was written a long time ago where their entire world was white. Things can move on "

Black people did exist in 1989 when the Disney animated version was released.

Reply privately

By *ezebel100Woman
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I don't really see a problem with a mythical creature being portrayed by a female actor of colour (or "black actress" in ye olden days), but I can see the issue could be a difficult one when it comes to portraying real historical figures.

Bess x

Agree. Sensible post"

In 2021 there was a mini series about Anne Boleyn and she was played by the black actress Jodie Turner-Smith.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"lol a member of staff as well.

I had someone shouting their mouth off being racist to me at a park in Hertfordshire an week ago in front of my child and a load of other children. The subtle racism is exhausting but the blatant stuff is still there too. Racism can’t die out with age because racist attitudes are passed on between generations. The hope that it will is just lazy inaction and denial of the extent of the issue. "

Sorry to hear ,yourself your children and others had to come under verbal abbuse.

Was the act recoreded? Or other witnesses?

Reply privately

over a year ago

There should be no reason you can't.

Bess x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was thinking in the next shaft movie we get Tom Hardy in.

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

Crack on. I just don't understand why people get so worked up about fictional characters.

I have no problem with actors from different backgrounds playing any role - it's called artistic licence.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I had someone shouting their mouth off being racist to me at a park in Hertfordshire an week ago in front of my child and a load of other children. The subtle racism is exhausting but the blatant stuff is still there too. Racism can’t die out with age because racist attitudes are passed on between generations. The hope that it will is just lazy inaction and denial of the extent of the issue.

Sorry to hear ,yourself your children and others had to come under verbal abbuse.

Was the act recoreded? Or other witnesses? "

Park full of people. The only person that came and asked if I was ok was some kid, most of been like 13. Everyone else just stood staring. So we left.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lol worms "

nope facts . Would you be offended if I played black Panther? Simple question.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lol worms nope facts . Would you be offended if I played black Panther? Simple question. "

You wouldn’t be playing the role so literally I do not care about this Fiction you’re writing on here

Reply privately

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

Crack on. I just don't understand why people get so worked up about fictional characters.

I have no problem with actors from different backgrounds playing any role - it's called artistic licence."

Korean Jesus is played by a buff Korean then there is the white blue eyed Jesus, Russion Jesus is from Siberia.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lol worms nope facts . Would you be offended if I played black Panther? Simple question.

You wouldn’t be playing the role so literally I do not care about this Fiction you’re writing on here"

It's a valid hypothetical question though.

Bess x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lol worms nope facts . Would you be offended if I played black Panther? Simple question.

You wouldn’t be playing the role so literally I do not care about this Fiction you’re writing on here"

Exactly why change it ?

Reply privately

By *ldgeezermeMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

Surely there are bigger problems with mermaids

How are you supposed to have sex with them in that configuration, surely the head/body setup should be swapped

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Park full of people. The only person that came and asked if I was ok was some kid, most of been like 13. Everyone else just stood staring. So we left. "

I'm sorry. People are fucking awful

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Surely there are bigger problems with mermaids

How are you supposed to have sex with them in that configuration, surely the head/body setup should be swapped"

You end up with fish fingers

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

You wouldn’t be playing the role so literally I do not care about this Fiction you’re writing on here Exactly why change it ? "

If we took that attitude we wouldn't have any new stories for thousands of years

Reply privately

over a year ago

And to the OP, if the guy works there I genuinely do not know why on earth he’s complaining about that stuff to a customer.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"And to the OP, if the guy works there I genuinely do not know why on earth he’s complaining about that stuff to a customer. "

I think it's made up, or the kid likes animation and the classic depiction was one of his favourite characters and he'd got a red head fetish.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You wouldn’t be playing the role so literally I do not care about this Fiction you’re writing on here

Bess x"

If this person on fab was playing the black Panther would I care? I can’t imagine that happening so why would I care for the scenario?

I don’t care for engaging in a conversation about race that’s going to exhaust me right now. That would be extremely boring

Reply privately

over a year ago

Park full of people. The only person that came and asked if I was ok was some kid, most of been like 13. Everyone else just stood staring. So we left. "

"Says it all"

always watch actions. A 13 yr old walked over.

Yet the rest stood viewing the show.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reply privately

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

"Surely there are bigger problems with mermaids

How are you supposed to have sex with them in that configuration, surely the head/body setup should be swapped"

And do they eat fish? How do they use the toilet? why does a merman not have a cock?

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

It's a fictional, cartoon character of a mythical creature.

Moreover, her skin colour bears no relevance on the story at all.

I can't believe so many people have got bent out of shape over this.

Do I think his comments were racist? a little bit, yes.

Would I report him? no

Reply privately

By *addad99Man
over a year ago

Rotherham /newquay

I probably don't see it as racism bit like James bond could never be of colour books films have always been portrayed as white so some cannot change how that character should look for me I ain't bothered she's a mermaid so could be green with scales.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't know if we've always been this way, but it seems to be something during my adulthood.

People have been rewriting stories since for-fucking-ever.

But now you make a character in a story non-white, and a vocal minority wet themselves and scream blue bloody murder. Christ's sake. Go hire the VHS if you don't like the new version."

Good contribition

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bess x

If this person on fab was playing the black Panther would I care? I can’t imagine that happening so why would I care for the scenario?

I don’t care for engaging in a conversation about race that’s going to exhaust me right now. That would be extremely boring"

It's exhausting for you to answer a simple hypothetical question that requires a one-word answer, but not exhausting for you to respond with two paragraphs completely avoiding it?

Bess x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bess x

I don’t care for engaging in a conversation about race that’s going to exhaust me right now. That would be extremely boring

It's exhausting for you to answer a simple hypothetical question that requires a one-word answer, but not exhausting for you to respond with two paragraphs completely avoiding it?

Bess x"

Exactly. You get it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m struggling to see how the young dude’s comment has been described as casual racism?? "

He was wearing Trainers & jeans. .so it was casual as Fcuk!!

We all can smell the "shite " on the shoes! Damn pass the oust!

Reply privately

By *hGlobbitsMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"I probably don't see it as racism bit like James bond could never be of colour books films have always been portrayed as white so some cannot change how that character should look for me I ain't bothered she's a mermaid so could be green with scales."

Daniel Craig was blonde. Previous Bond actors had dark hair. How furious are you about that? Or is it only one type of pigment that's sacrosanct?

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Bess x

Bess x"

It's also not exhausting to realise that it's a made up character not worth the debate, and yet people care enough that a black actress was casted in the role

Reply privately

over a year ago

If a character on its inception is of a certain ethnicity or race then why many many years later should it be changed just because of some opinions have changed or time has moved on.

Fucking woke shit is getting out of hand.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bess x

Bess x

Exactly. You get it.

"

Yes, I get you completely.

Bess x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's a fictional, cartoon character of a mythical creature.

Would I report him? no "

can I play any ethnic fictional character other than the standard fictional characters without causing social unrest?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bess x

Bess x

It's also not exhausting to realise that it's a made up character not worth the debate, and yet people care enough that a black actress was casted in the role"

It's cowardice, plain and simple

Bess x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I probably don't see it as racism bit like James bond could never be of colour books films have always been portrayed as white so some cannot change how that character should look for me I ain't bothered she's a mermaid so could be green with scales.

Daniel Craig was blonde. Previous Bond actors had dark hair. How furious are you about that? Or is it only one type of pigment that's sacrosanct?"

He also had a facial scar in the books

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's a fictional, cartoon character of a mythical creature.

Would I report him? no can I play any ethnic fictional character other than the standard fictional characters without causing social unrest? "

Your persistence here suggests this is just disingenuously looking for an argument with someone that disagrees with you. Go outside. Smell the Grass.

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

"It's cowardice, plain and simple

Bess x"

And that's hyperbole. If someone not answering a ridiculous hypothetical question is your definition of cowardice then hoo-boy is some perspective needed.

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

"If a character on its inception is of a certain ethnicity or race then why many many years later should it be changed just because of some opinions have changed or time has moved on.

Fucking woke shit is getting out of hand."

Or, maybe the actor was better than all the others that auditioned for the role and rightfully got the part.

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

"If a character on its inception is of a certain ethnicity or race then why many many years later should it be changed just because of some opinions have changed or time has moved on.

Fucking woke shit is getting out of hand."

You're right. Nothing should change, ever, especially not fiction. At what point do we stop the world turning? I can't decide.

Reply privately

over a year ago

When it comes to fictional characters, why is representation by different genders or ethnicities such a bad thing? Its a fictional character!

Dr Who has changed gender

Sherlock Holmes has been represented by a woman

Ariel has changed ethnicity

Im sure theres more i’ve missed. Watch the remakes or don't watch them. Getting your blood pressure up over it seems rather daft.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I posted this shit 3 days ago in the political forums. Oh look it came into fruition.Next controversy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Or, maybe the actor was better than all the others that auditioned for the role and rightfully got the part."

Yeap that was the reason

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"When it comes to fictional characters, why is representation by different genders or ethnicities such a bad thing? Its a fictional character!

Dr Who has changed gender

Sherlock Holmes has been represented by a woman

Ariel has changed ethnicity

Im sure theres more i’ve missed. Watch the remakes or don't watch them. Getting your blood pressure up over it seems rather daft.

"

There are a very small number of story arcs into which all stories can be placed. If we really want to lean into this idea that stories shouldn't be changed... well, I suppose we'd better go back to the first recorded stories. I'm not even sure what that is. Sumerian?

Everything else is an adaptation. Shakespeare is known to have ripped off other people's ideas. The ancient Greeks did it all the time.

Funnily enough, though, those are all ok. It's only the very specific kind of adaptation talked about in this thread that makes people mad

Reply privately

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Watched the trailer …

Looks good

Reply privately

over a year ago

So if a white person played the black panther or jasmine or Mulan is that acceptable?

Reply privately

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

Bess x"

. Correct a fictional character can be played by a black or white actor or actress.In the 1970’s for 5-6 years Kojak was played by a white actor Telly Savalas in 2005 was play by a black actor Ving Rhames just for 10 episodes apparently no second series was done because of low ratings.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Where is little mermaid set, other than under the sea?

The comparisons to characters in stories set with cultural back drops is a false wquivalence imo.

I suspect many people have only pictured mermaids as being white. Without asking why.

Reply privately

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"So if a white person played the black panther or jasmine or Mulan is that acceptable? "

Yes of course

Reply privately

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

Jeez. How can you read this thread and hear someone’s experience of a racist attack in a park a week ago and still bait them to do your labour of educating yourself why your hypothetical scenarios are just irrelevant and how you are part of the problem if you don’t see that calling them a coward for their unwillingness to engage in your ridiculous question , I just don’t know. Mind blowing to me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Jeez. How can you read this thread and hear someone’s experience of a racist attack in a park a week ago and still bait them to do your labour of educating yourself why your hypothetical scenarios are just irrelevant and how you are part of the problem if you don’t see that calling them a coward for their unwillingness to engage in your ridiculous question , I just don’t know. Mind blowing to me. "

Because I don't believe him?

Reply privately

By *amierebelMan
over a year ago

nae danger.

Films get remakes all the time I don't get why people get so mad just because someone of a different ethnicity to the original character has changed the remake of Annie was brilliant I did however prefer the original but that was due to childhood nostalgia but again the remake was brilliant couldn't fault it was great casting

Reply privately

By *ranimallxl5 OP   Man
over a year ago

Winchester

"And to the OP, if the guy works there I genuinely do not know why on earth he’s complaining about that stuff to a customer. "

Agree,

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

"So if a white person played the black panther or jasmine or Mulan is that acceptable? "

Mulan is Chinese if memory serves me right. There is a country called China, it has the largest population in the world... There're are many Chinese actors.

Ariel is a mermaid... Mermaids don't exist, they have no ethnicity, no country and there is not a large pool (no pun intended) of mermaid actors to draw from ... Anyone can play a mermaid

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Jeez. How can you read this thread and hear someone’s experience of a racist attack in a park a week ago and still bait them to do your labour of educating yourself why your hypothetical scenarios are just irrelevant and how you are part of the problem if you don’t see that calling them a coward for their unwillingness to engage in your ridiculous question , I just don’t know. Mind blowing to me.

Because I don't believe him?"

Wow

Reply privately

By *amierebelMan
over a year ago

nae danger.

I'll most likely watch the remake of this at some point with the little ones

Reply privately

over a year ago

No one kicked off about Django.

Or the remake of the magnificent seven.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Jeez. How can you read this thread and hear someone’s experience of a racist attack in a park a week ago and still bait them to do your labour of educating yourself why your hypothetical scenarios are just irrelevant and how you are part of the problem if you don’t see that calling them a coward for their unwillingness to engage in your ridiculous question , I just don’t know. Mind blowing to me.

Wow "

Yee gads

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Where is little mermaid set, other than under the sea?

The comparisons to characters in stories set with cultural back drops is a false wquivalence imo.

I suspect many people have only pictured mermaids as being white. Without asking why. "

Valid points especially concerning cultural representation.

Reply privately

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

"Films get remakes all the time I don't get why people get so mad just because someone of a different ethnicity to the original character has changed the remake of Annie was brilliant I did however prefer the original but that was due to childhood nostalgia but again the remake was brilliant couldn't fault it was great casting "

Fings ain't wot they used to be.

No seriously, its just another tiresome culture war wedge issue.

Reply privately

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Well the Egyptian government is going mad at Netflix over Cleopatra "

That's because the Egyptians seem not to understand what ethnicity their people would have been, before the Arabs invaded. Cleopatra's paternal line were Macedonians but had been in Egypt for a long time. No-one knows exactly who her mother was. Modern day Macedonians are probably not the same ethnically as those from the Ptolemaic period and since then, various other peoples have immigrated or invaded. Interesting to note that Cleopatra I was from the Seleucid dynasty, so modern day Syria/Iran/Iraq/Afghanistan etc.

Cleopatra was a northern Greek, possibly with other ethnic roots via her mother, which might include ethnic groups from the modern day Middle East/Levant.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'd better explain.

Thread about casual racism..

"Oh I got racially abused and only one little kid asked if I was ok"

Card pulled....

Do you not get enough hugs at home?

Reply privately

By *he Ring WraithMan
over a year ago

Bradford

Will they will be portraying the Blue men of the Minch as green next ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Jeez. How can you read this thread and hear someone’s experience of a racist attack in a park a week ago and still bait them to do your labour of educating yourself why your hypothetical scenarios are just irrelevant and how you are part of the problem if you don’t see that calling them a coward for their unwillingness to engage in your ridiculous question , I just don’t know. Mind blowing to me. "

Reply privately

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

Do you not get enough hugs at home? "

What a hideous view.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Point proven

Reply privately

over a year ago

I love the phrase "you're part of the problem" - it's one of those get-out clause meaningless statements that requires little or no thought, but bandied about like it really means something. If you want to debate, then debate or get off the pot. That poster always seems to have a convenient little racist anecdote to throw in, probably for the sympathy angle. Believe me, I know what racism is. I'm Jewish and have been present on occasions of walking to the synagogue on a Friday evening and having racial slurs shouted at me and my relatives by muslim youths in BMWs. Always reported, never followed up by the police.

Bess x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

What a hideous view. "

Truths ugly init

Reply privately

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

I love the phrase "you're part of the problem" - it's one of those get-out clause meaningless statements that requires little or no thought, but bandied about like it really means something. If you want to debate, then debate or get off the pot. That poster always seems to have a convenient little racist anecdote to throw in, probably for the sympathy angle. Believe me, I know what racism is. I'm Jewish and have been present on occasions of walking to the synagogue on a Friday evening and having racial slurs shouted at me and my relatives by muslim youths in BMWs. Always reported, never followed up by the police.

Bess x"

So you know better and can do better, Bess.

Reply privately

By *skyouneverknowMan
over a year ago

Calne

The mermaid is 15 - isn't that as big a story?

Reply privately

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

Warwick Davis playing Shaft should be a good watch

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

You’re a bit of a dick aren’t you. It’s not pulling cards, it’s sharing an experience of being racially abused. Going on to take the piss in such a childish way shows you clearly have the intelligence and empathy of a slug.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wow "

Wee!!

Reply privately

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

You’re a bit of a dick aren’t you. It’s not pulling cards, it’s sharing an experience of being racially abused. Going on to take the piss in such a childish way shows you clearly have the intelligence and empathy of a slug. "

Oh he’s been around for years, this is his fetish.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

If I was going to lie about my experiences with racism I a) wouldn’t involve my child and b) would at least make it dramatic.

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Black Panther was set in a country in Africa, Jasmine in an Arabic country and Milan in China. It makes sense for those characters to to be the ethnicities they are. Ariel... is a fucking mermaid in the fucking sea!

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

"So if a white person played the black panther or jasmine or Mulan is that acceptable?

Black Panther was set in a country in Africa, Jasmine in an Arabic country and Milan in China. It makes sense for those characters to to be the ethnicities they are. Ariel... is a fucking mermaid in the fucking sea!"

*Mulan

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

Because it was written a long time ago where their entire world was white. Things can move on

Black people did exist in 1989 when the Disney animated version was released. "

How many black or non white characters were written into Disney stories, before 1989. The only one I can think of is Mowgli, and he was portrayed as an incredibly light-skinned Indian child. It was probably pretty whitewashed, to be honest. I can't think of any others from the pre 2000s.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

You’re a bit of a dick aren’t you. It’s not pulling cards, it’s sharing an experience of being racially abused. Going on to take the piss in such a childish way shows you clearly have the intelligence and empathy of a slug. "

I'll show you how this works.

You're only insulting me because I'm foreign and picking on me because of my learning difficulties and personality disorder.

How dare you.

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

"So if a white person played the black panther or jasmine or Mulan is that acceptable?

Black Panther was set in a country in Africa, Jasmine in an Arabic country and Milan in China. It makes sense for those characters to to be the ethnicities they are. Ariel... is a fucking mermaid in the fucking sea!"

Yeah, but, Joe - when the CARTOON was drawn, the animator used his pink pen, so WE CAN'T CHANGE HISTORY!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bess x

So you know better and can do better, Bess."

I can do better by challenging nonsense posts and people who won't engage in frank discussions.

Bess x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

If I was going to lie about my experiences with racism I a) wouldn’t involve my child and b) would at least make it dramatic. "

Ok you stick with that.

But I know you are lying.

Reply privately

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

Bess x

So you know better and can do better, Bess.

I can do better by challenging nonsense posts and people who won't engage in frank discussions.

Bess x"

We can agree to disagree, I think it just makes you look (redacted)

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

You’re a bit of a dick aren’t you. It’s not pulling cards, it’s sharing an experience of being racially abused. Going on to take the piss in such a childish way shows you clearly have the intelligence and empathy of a slug.

You're only insulting me because I'm foreign and picking on me because of my learning difficulties and personality disorder.

How dare you. "

No, I’m insulting you because you’re an arse.

Reply privately

By *lay 4 your plessureMan
over a year ago

Wigan

Did you actually challenge him to find out if his point of veiw was meant to be racist or did you just jump to the conclusion? Although it does sound it, there is a possibility is wasn't meant that way. There are people who think that a live action remake should stay true to the animation, just as there are people who think it can be made differently. Both sides of the are just as entitled to their opinions as the other without any kind of hatred intended. Maybe he was a huge Disney fan who thinks it should be true to the animation? Let's just say they did cast a white girl as the lead but she had dyed green hair, if he'd had then said she should have been a redhead instead of green then no racist connection would have been made, see what I mean?

In my opinion, op hasn't given enough info on the exchange to determine if it was casual racism or not.

For the avoidance of doubt, I agree that there has been a lot of racial hatred about the casting of the film and it is disgusting. I also understand that not all of the argument over the casting has come from a racist point of veiw.

Maybe it's just me, but I would have asked the cinema worker to explain his point of view before jumping to conclusions

Reply privately

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

What a hideous view.

Truths ugly init "

Added to my collection of blocks, thank you. Always nice knowing who to avoid.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bess x"

‘That poster’ has a name.

Allyship doesn’t look like dismissing other people’s experiences with racism.

Nobody said you didn’t know what racism looks like.

I have never explicitly mentioned or detailed any of my experiences with racism on here other than this.

I don’t need sympathy from strangers on the internet.

And finally- I’m actually sorry to hear about your experiences with racism.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Did you actually challenge him to find out if his point of veiw was meant to be racist or did you just jump to the conclusion? Although it does sound it, there is a possibility is wasn't meant that way. There are people who think that a live action remake should stay true to the animation, just as there are people who think it can be made differently. Both sides of the are just as entitled to their opinions as the other without any kind of hatred intended. Maybe he was a huge Disney fan who thinks it should be true to the animation? Let's just say they did cast a white girl as the lead but she had dyed green hair, if he'd had then said she should have been a redhead instead of green then no racist connection would have been made, see what I mean?

In my opinion, op hasn't given enough info on the exchange to determine if it was casual racism or not.

For the avoidance of doubt, I agree that there has been a lot of racial hatred about the casting of the film and it is disgusting. I also understand that not all of the argument over the casting has come from a racist point of veiw.

Maybe it's just me, but I would have asked the cinema worker to explain his point of view before jumping to conclusions "

Fair points well made.

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

If I was going to lie about my experiences with racism I a) wouldn’t involve my child and b) would at least make it dramatic.

Ok you stick with that.

But I know you are lying. "

Can you also tell me tonight's lottery numbers while you're saying what you clearly know?

Reply privately

By *skyouneverknowMan
over a year ago

Calne

"The mermaid is 15 - isn't that as big a story? "

I aways thought they were green and slimey anyway - I've no idea why anyone would be upset about a mermaid's ethnicity or colour unless they really are racist

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bess x

So you know better and can do better, Bess."

Wtf!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

What a hideous view.

Truths ugly init Added to my collection of blocks, thank you. Always nice knowing who to avoid."

That's very noble of you, they'll be devastated. Thanks for letting us all know

Bess x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

Oh he’s been around for years, this is his fetish."

Wear the cape! And hide under it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

How dare you.

No, I’m insulting you because you’re an arse. "

No you have to tolerate my behaviour or you are discriminating against me.

But anyway his story.

Victim of racist abuse. So some random punter just starts with blatant open racism? Hertfordshire...yeah ok.

In front of kids (designed to elicit extra sympathy from women)

And his own child (double whammy)

Reply privately

over a year ago

If they ever and i mean ever cast del boy with an non Caucasian actor then stop the fucking world as I off.

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

How dare you.

But anyway his story.

Victim of racist abuse. So some random punter just starts with blatant open racism? Hertfordshire...yeah ok.

"

Steve posted about his experience on the very day it happened, completely independently and without prompting.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

Ok you stick with that.

But I know you are lying. "

Are you a mind reader and a shrink??

Reply privately

over a year ago

Snow white is a fictional character with 7 dwarfs. So little people should retain being calt dwarfs. Maybe we should change it to snow white and the 7 bearded buff guys to suit your analogy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

Ok you stick with that.

Can you also tell me tonight's lottery numbers while you're saying what you clearly know?"

I don't know about that. But I've witnessed and been involved in 30 years worth of "confrontations" from dorks in the naffi, to clubs, bars, here, and other countries including back home. And it does not sound right.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

How dare you.

But anyway his story.

"

Did I say that just started? Randomly? Comprehension. Please

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Black Panther was set in a country in Africa, Jasmine in an Arabic country and Milan in China. It makes sense for those characters to to be the ethnicities they are. Ariel... is a fucking mermaid in the fucking sea!

Snow white is a fictional character with 7 dwarfs. So little people should retain being calt dwarfs. Maybe we should change it to snow white and the 7 bearded buff guys to suit your analogy. "

Completely missed the point but ok

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

How dare you.

But anyway his story.

Steve posted about his experience on the very day it happened, completely independently and without prompting. "

So he reinserts it for more clout

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

How dare you.

But anyway his story.

Steve posted about his experience on the very day it happened, completely independently and without prompting. "

It’s crazy that this thread has turned into this. But I’ve learned from this at least

Reply privately

By *ndycoinsMan
over a year ago

Whaley Bridge,Nr Buxton,

"In classical myth/ legend and reporting mermaids are white.I don't think a 17th century mariner,knackered from a double watch,seeing a wet seal sunbathing on a rock from a distance for the first time gave a moment's thought as to whether his description was "inclusive"or "racist".Not aware of any reports of Trans mermaids either.Depends on whether you want historical/book accuracy or not. The ones from Greek mythology wouldn't have been white and the first ever mermaid was from Syria from 1000bc."

To the Greeks and Syrians they were white,otherwise they would be described as Nubian.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Snow white is a fictional character with 7 dwarfs. So little people should retain being calt dwarfs. Maybe we should change it to snow white and the 7 bearded buff guys to suit your analogy.

Completely missed the point but ok"

No I didn't all are fictional accordingly. So why change?

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

Ok you stick with that.

Can you also tell me tonight's lottery numbers while you're saying what you clearly know?

I don't know about that. But I've witnessed and been involved in 30 years worth of "confrontations" from dorks in the naffi, to clubs, bars, here, and other countries including back home. And it does not sound right. "

And who are you to say whether someone else's experience "sounds right"? What do you hope to achieve by doing this other than proclaiming yourself the king of knowing what casual racism is? It's fucking pointless. Move on.

Reply privately

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

Anyway, I hope you got popcorn as well as a drink after posting this

Reply privately

over a year ago

How many black or non white characters were written into Disney stories, before 1989. The only one I can think of is Mowgli, and he was portrayed as an incredibly light-skinned Indian child. It was probably pretty whitewashed, to be honest. I can't think of any others from the pre 2000s. "

My point was it wasn't an entirely white world in 1989

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Completely missed the point but ok

No I didn't all are fictional accordingly. So why change? "

Because I mentioned the locations where they are set, the thread is about racism. You're just coming up with pointless hypotheticals that have nothing to do with the topic because you you're trying and failing to get one over on the people who believe this is wrong. Take a break, it'll be good for you

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

How dare you.

But anyway his story.

"

Oh sure, you cross the border into Hertfordshire and magically racism just stops doesn’t it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

How dare you.

But anyway his story.

Steve posted about his experience on the very day it happened, completely independently and without prompting.

It’s crazy that this thread has turned into this. But I’ve learned from this at least"

Gaslighting.

So why was he mouthing off with racist things? In front of kids? Presumably his own as well, this terrible person?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

How dare you.

But anyway his story.

It’s crazy that this thread has turned into this. But I’ve learned from this at least"

Stick around awhile longer. In all rooms of fab and the Garden etc.

Just observe at a distance,much to view what really goes on Daily.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

How dare you.

But anyway his story.

It’s crazy that this thread has turned into this. But I’ve learned from this at least

Gaslighting.

So why was he mouthing off with racist things? In front of kids? Presumably his own as well, this terrible person?"

What on earth is your problem?? Ffs

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

How dare you.

But anyway his story.

Oh sure, you cross the border into Hertfordshire and magically racism just stops doesn’t it "

Was never really known for it treacle

Reply privately

By *mf123Man
over a year ago

with one foot out the door

Hmmmm i must say now thats got me wondering about if the shrek movie will use a martian actor

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hmmmm i must say now thats got me wondering about if the shrek movie will use a martian actor "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd better explain.

Card pulled....

Ok you stick with that.

I don't know about that. But I've witnessed and been involved in 30 years worth of "confrontations" from dorks in the naffi, to clubs, bars, here, and other countries including back home. And it does not sound right.

And who are you to say whether someone else's experience "sounds right"? What do you hope to achieve by doing this other than proclaiming yourself the king of knowing what casual racism is? It's fucking pointless. Move on."

Make me.

My opinion is as valid as any.

And I bet you I've experienced more black or Asian on white racism than he has in his life in merry old Englands Rosey gardens and parks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Black Panther was set in a country in Africa, Jasmine in an Arabic country and Milan in China. It makes sense for those characters to to be the ethnicities they are. Ariel... is a fucking mermaid in the fucking sea! Snow white is a fictional character with 7 dwarfs. So little people should retain being calt dwarfs. Maybe we should change it to snow white and the 7 bearded buff guys to suit your analogy. "

They were going to call it Snow Person of No Particular Gender, Race or Ethnicity and the Seven Other Individuals of Unspecified Height, Race, Gender or Ethnicity but they realised that putting all that up in lights outside the theatre would cost them a fortune in electricity.

Bess x

Reply privately

By *andadbodMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

doesn’t take a genius to see how this thread was gunna go

Reply privately

By *amierebelMan
over a year ago

nae danger.

Closed finally

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Much worse, lobsters are blue until they are cooked. Inaccuracies everywhere."

I thought Sebastian was supposed to be a crab.

Under the Sea

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yeah, bet they all relieved the African dude can't post anything else.

He's vile he is.

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

How many black or non white characters were written into Disney stories, before 1989. The only one I can think of is Mowgli, and he was portrayed as an incredibly light-skinned Indian child. It was probably pretty whitewashed, to be honest. I can't think of any others from the pre 2000s.

My point was it wasn't an entirely white world in 1989"

You've not read the comment. It said "their [people assuming mermaids are all white] entire world was white." For most white people in the 1980s, that's probably not far from the truth. I know that where I lived from birth, the whole village was white people.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Gaslighting.

So why was he mouthing off with racist things? In front of kids? Presumably his own as well, this terrible person?"

Firstly, she*

Secondly I am not going to explain any further. Like.. why would I do that for you to pick it a part and tell me it didn’t even happen.

Finally I only posted about it to highlight that casual racism AND more overt forms of racism still exist and aren’t dying out with age. A direct response to the OP.

I could care less about sympathy from a bunch of strangers honestly. You and Bess have been pretty horrible about me bringing up my experience, implying I’m a liar in the case of Bess and outright calling me one in your case. Don’t know why. If you don’t believe me you could just ignore me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Indeed, finally closed I hope those who descended into personal insults are dealt with accordingly by the mods.

Bess x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why would I ignore a lie?

Why would I let you?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Eh?

Because your village was predominantly white you assume most people's worlds were white? Lol do you think black people just suddenly decended on the planet one day in their droves?

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

Some of the comments on here make me want to scream.

~Fin~

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

Hecky-thump.

Not THE world [globe]

But

SOME PEOPLE'S worlds [as in, the locale they live or lived, who and what they see day to day, where they travel, if they meet people who are different to them etc.]

How is this hard to comprehend?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Eh?

Because your village was predominantly white you assume most people's worlds were white? Lol do you think black people just suddenly decended on the planet one day in their droves?

Which village?

Salisbury was a city so was Pretoria? I don't think I've ever lived in a village and both those cities had very large and sprawling suburbs full of black and coloured Africans. (In my experience they do differentiate)

Reply privately

over a year ago

Think you missed my point entirely.

Never mind.

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

I lived in a village in rural north Wales. I can assure you that even a white English person moving into the village would have caused a stir. It was and still is a Welsh-medium village.

Plenty of white people have or still live in places where they see little diversity. It's not hard to imagine people in the 1980s who had only white reference points in their lives.

My life became a lot more diverse when we moved to England and to Greater Manchester, which is a very diverse part of the world. A bit like moving to a completely different continent in terms of the day to day life, in all honesty.

My personal life isn't relevant, however. The point is, people who have assumed that mermaids must all be white and can't imagine any other ethnicity of mermaid, might well have very white-centric views or experiences in life. This is not hard to understand.

Reply privately