Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Intergenerational learning conversations

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Other than family members and children, how often do we have conversations with people from different generations? Do we often learn from these conversations? Do we enjoy having them? When was the last time you spoke to someone significantly older or younger that isn’t family or a family friend?

On fab it definitely feels like generational differences are huge deals. More than, in my experiences, off of the site in the rest of my life. It’s that to do with other demographic factors?

This thread was inspired by Abbott Elementary. Shout out if you watch that on Disney +

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ate_BMan
over a year ago

London

I love speaking with my grandparents, they’re from the Caribbean, so having them share their experiences/memories before they came to the UK is uplifting

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Often. I chat up people at the bus stop - recently spoke to a very old gentleman giving me some unsolicited life advice. I chat to kids as well, i pointed a cat on the balcony to an upset girl recently to help her and her mum who couldn't settle her down. Not that it helped as she sadly had a meltdown as mum kindly explained. Still, kids and old people are usually great to talk to, easy, straight forward and open.

T

By *icassolifelikeMan
over a year ago

Luton

I do a lot with veterans. Even if it’s just a phone call.

Same theme from all of them, women and men, is the shit state the military is in. Standard of recruit, standard of kit, standard of infrastructure.

I enjoy pointing out to them it was exactly the same back in their day. Funny how time puts the rose tinted spectacles on.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

As a general rule, I don't like people.

So when I stumble across those I do like, it's pretty irrelevant how old they are.

I have friends ranging from early 20s to mid 80s.

I do enjoy hearing different perspectives.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

Age is much more of a deal here because of the sex. At work I tend to get on better with the younger people. They tend to be more positive in their outlook.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Through work I deal with people from 4-90, so I'm always chatting to varied ages.

I've witnessed a lot of old school attitudes from more elderly people but also plenty that have evolved with the times and don't share the same prejudices as others their age.

Equally though I've seen a rise in similar bigoted viewpoints in people in their 20's, which is worrying. I guess for people that age its largely down to social media and online interaction, but it's definitely a concerning trend.

A

By *ehindHerEyesCouple
over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

All the time OP

My job means that I talk with a wide range of ages of people from many different backgrounds. I’m absolutely fascinated by the stories and life experiences they have. It’s more of a real history than books could ever tell us

Marc

By *ts the taking part thatMan
over a year ago

southampton

"Age is much more of a deal here because of the sex. At work I tend to get on better with the younger people. They tend to be more positive in their outlook. "

I get that and i,m sure lifts you but often positive as niave to what's to come.

By *illy71Couple
over a year ago

Staines

I guess I'm lucky, in my job I deal with people just starting out from school and with people retiring soon, or even retired already, and from all walks of life so I think I can have sensible a discourse with most generations and backgrounds

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I do regularly

over a year ago

"I love speaking with my grandparents, they’re from the Caribbean, so having them share their experiences/memories before they came to the UK is uplifting "

These conversations are very powerful.

over a year ago

"Often. I chat up people at the bus stop - recently spoke to a very old gentleman giving me some unsolicited life advice. I chat to kids as well, i pointed a cat on the balcony to an upset girl recently to help her and her mum who couldn't settle her down. Not that it helped as she sadly had a meltdown as mum kindly explained. Still, kids and old people are usually great to talk to, easy, straight forward and open.

T"

This is very sweet to read. I love it

over a year ago

"I do a lot with veterans. Even if it’s just a phone call.

Same theme from all of them, women and men, is the shit state the military is in. Standard of recruit, standard of kit, standard of infrastructure.

I enjoy pointing out to them it was exactly the same back in their day. Funny how time puts the rose tinted spectacles on. "

Oh this is lovely.

over a year ago

"As a general rule, I don't like people.

So when I stumble across those I do like, it's pretty irrelevant how old they are.

I have friends ranging from early 20s to mid 80s.

I do enjoy hearing different perspectives."

I hear you. I have friends with a similar age range. Though I don’t have any friends older than 80 but I have one in his 70s

over a year ago

"Age is much more of a deal here because of the sex. At work I tend to get on better with the younger people. They tend to be more positive in their outlook. "

True. Although I don’t think the lounge forum is as much about sex and think that’s where I’ve noticed the biggest generational differences.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I do, frequently, and I hate any kind of written social media for this as it is so difficult to relate to context. Face to face, or even by voice, is far better.

over a year ago

"Through work I deal with people from 4-90, so I'm always chatting to varied ages.

I've witnessed a lot of old school attitudes from more elderly people but also plenty that have evolved with the times and don't share the same prejudices as others their age.

Equally though I've seen a rise in similar bigoted viewpoints in people in their 20's, which is worrying. I guess for people that age its largely down to social media and online interaction, but it's definitely a concerning trend.

A"

Bigoted people reproduce themselves I find. Education is the way to change views rather than what some people hope which is that it’ll just die out.

Your job sounds cool in the sense you meet such a wide range of people

over a year ago

"All the time OP

My job means that I talk with a wide range of ages of people from many different backgrounds. I’m absolutely fascinated by the stories and life experiences they have. It’s more of a real history than books could ever tell us

Marc"

Oral histories are the best and the ones we need to hold onto and never let die for sure! Your job also sounds great for meeting a wide range of people, Marc

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

All the time I'm super lucky. Last weekend was spent with children from the same background as me trying to get them interested into my subject and higher education. Was so much fun

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

"Other than family members and children, how often do we have conversations with people from different generations? Do we often learn from these conversations? Do we enjoy having them? When was the last time you spoke to someone significantly older or younger that isn’t family or a family friend?

On fab it definitely feels like generational differences are huge deals. More than, in my experiences, off of the site in the rest of my life. It’s that to do with other demographic factors?

This thread was inspired by Abbott Elementary. Shout out if you watch that on Disney + "

I was lucky that my hobby a few years back was WWII re enactment.

I was very fortunate to speak to many veterans snd learn of their experiences

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Other than family members and children, how often do we have conversations with people from different generations? Do we often learn from these conversations? Do we enjoy having them? When was the last time you spoke to someone significantly older or younger that isn’t family or a family friend?

This thread was inspired by Abbott Elementary. Shout out if you watch that on Disney + "

We've run out of Grandparents unfortunately, but we now have mainly elderly neighbours and we chat to them. Our work brings us into daily contact with young people and adults of all ages from around the globe, and we work with people aged 21 to about 75, also from all around the world. We have a very varied set of conversational opportunities and we love it.

Post new Message to Thread