Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Guinea pigs.

Jump to newest

By *ent in Black OP   Man
over a year ago

Silsden

Anyone else have them? One of mine is a proper odd ball. It sits with its head in its pile of hay

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

@GerryGerbil

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

I've never tried them, if I'm in Peru I would try them though.

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

This one's from Edinburgh

By *aggonerMan
over a year ago

for a penny

I used to have Guinea pigs. So funny.

When I was constructing a run I put them under a plastic bread tray and they would lift it on their shoulders and move it about the lawn. Very strong.

over a year ago

Silsden

"I used to have Guinea pigs. So funny.

When I was constructing a run I put them under a plastic bread tray and they would lift it on their shoulders and move it about the lawn. Very strong. "

They are funny creatures. They even wait until we’re eating until they start eating.

By *aggonerMan
over a year ago

for a penny

They could see us at the kitchen window from across the garden and squeak so loud we could hear them inside the house

over a year ago

I do … they’re my daughter’s bless !

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

I love Guinea pigs!! I live on my own in a flat so can’t have cats/dogs and have been thinking about what kind of pet I could get. GPs are high up the list.

By *he love catsCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

My daughter has two they are amazing pets.

By *aggonerMan
over a year ago

for a penny

"I love Guinea pigs!! I live on my own in a flat so can’t have cats/dogs and have been thinking about what kind of pet I could get. GPs are high up the list."

But you must get two. They are gregarious creatures.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

No Guinea Pig, but I have a Hamster who's rather adorable.

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"I love Guinea pigs!! I live on my own in a flat so can’t have cats/dogs and have been thinking about what kind of pet I could get. GPs are high up the list.

But you must get two. They are gregarious creatures. "

I hear that. Apparently (all the best facts start with that word!) it’s illegal in Switzerland to keep solitary Guinea pigs. It would be good to have 2 or 3 anyway

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"No Guinea Pig, but I have a Hamster who's rather adorable."

You big softie!!!

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"No Guinea Pig, but I have a Hamster who's rather adorable.

You big softie!!! "

By *iss DevilWoman
over a year ago

Bedford

"I love Guinea pigs!! I live on my own in a flat so can’t have cats/dogs and have been thinking about what kind of pet I could get. GPs are high up the list."

Get some gerbils- they are fun to watch, are active at various times during the day, not just at night, are much cleaner and less smelly than guinea pigs and are less noisy (unless they're chewing through some cardboard). I got two boys now, one looks exactly like the one from Gerry the Gerbil food

By *aggonerMan
over a year ago

for a penny

"I love Guinea pigs!! I live on my own in a flat so can’t have cats/dogs and have been thinking about what kind of pet I could get. GPs are high up the list.

Get some gerbils- they are fun to watch, are active at various times during the day, not just at night, are much cleaner and less smelly than guinea pigs and are less noisy (unless they're chewing through some cardboard). I got two boys now, one looks exactly like the one from Gerry the Gerbil food "

Certainly, if you want a quiet pet GPs aren’t for you. Are they smelly? Didn’t notice but didn’t have them inside.

By *d4fun73Man
over a year ago

Shipley

I've been to Peru and seen them on the menu! Cwee it's called

over a year ago

Silsden

Get some gerbils- they are fun to watch, are active at various times during the day, not just at night, are much cleaner and less smelly than guinea pigs and are less noisy (unless they're chewing through some cardboard). I got two boys now, one looks exactly like the one from Gerry the Gerbil food

Certainly, if you want a quiet pet GPs aren’t for you. Are they smelly? Didn’t notice but didn’t have them inside. "

Ours live inside, we clean them daily if we don’t they get a bit whiffy.

over a year ago

Yum. Put it on a stick and dip it in chocolate. Mmm.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I don’t but I’m liking the sound of them!

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

Certainly, if you want a quiet pet GPs aren’t for you. Are they smelly? Didn’t notice but didn’t have them inside.

Ours live inside, we clean them daily if we don’t they get a bit whiffy."

Yea, see that puts me off a bit. I like coming back to my nice fresh smelling flat - if I stayed out overnight I wouldn’t want to come back to a funky smell.

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Don't they eat loads too?

They are not supposed to be the cheapest animals to keep; lots of space (never use plastic tubs) and lots of food and hay (which no-doubt smells). pt

By *aggonerMan
over a year ago

for a penny

"Don't they eat loads too?

They are not supposed to be the cheapest animals to keep; lots of space (never use plastic tubs) and lots of food and hay (which no-doubt smells). pt"

They eat lots, yes. But hay and food smell nice. You could close your eyes and pretend you lived in the country.

By *aggonerMan
over a year ago

for a penny

One problem which stops me keeping any animal indoors, including cats and dogs, is that you smell of them but don’t notice because you’re used to it.

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Don't they eat loads too?

They are not supposed to be the cheapest animals to keep; lots of space (never use plastic tubs) and lots of food and hay (which no-doubt smells). pt

They eat lots, yes. But hay and food smell nice. You could close your eyes and pretend you lived in the country.

"

I'm thinking of soiled hay I guess. pt

over a year ago

OMG i want guineas!! But I have three cats... It would end badly

over a year ago

"I've never tried them, if I'm in Peru I would try them though. "

I tried them in Peru, they are called cuy there, quite pleasant really. I don't think that it had hay on its head though, rather they heated stones in a pit in the ground, then I seem to recall banana leaves going on top, then the cuy (they were dead naturally and are quite big), then more banana leaves, then they covered the whole thing over with soil and hours later we ate them.

over a year ago

"OMG i want guineas!! But I have three cats... It would end badly "

I had ferrets - think they would have found guinea pigs to be a snack. The farm that used to provide their food (mainly rabbits, mice and day old chicks) also had frozen hamsters - my daughter always wanted a hamster, but not convinced she was expecting them to be frozen.

over a year ago

I’ve four little piggies, Waffle, Pepper, Dorito and Fudge. Yes, my daughter named them lol

They’re awesome little creatures, so expressive and funny with such individual personalities, I love them

over a year ago

Baby Guinea pigs are born ready for the world. They look like gerbils without tails, popcorning all over the place.

Amazing little creatures. I wish I had time and space to have more.

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

I was so hoping this was going to be about The Pet Shop Boys as well

over a year ago

"Anyone else have them? One of mine is a proper odd ball. It sits with its head in its pile of hay "

I got a cute fur ball called Hazel. He belongs to my daughter. He got such a cute personality which makes me laugh daily. As soon as I open the fridge he starts wheeking in anticipation. He knows it's food time. Just wish his bloody hair wouldn't fall out as much. It doesn't wash off well of my clothes.

By *sleWightCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Ryde

We had about 5 of them a few years ago, including Papa (he was the new Guinea...) and they were a lot of fun. We kept them outside in a hutch, but the favourite was Gilbert - he really was like a miniature dog, as he would come charging out to see you when he heard one us opening the door and always really affectionate.

We've had almost every type of domestic rodent there is (except for Chipmunks, as they are far too insane!) and Guinea Pigs are a real favourite.

For anyone wanting to explore new types of pet, then we recommend Degus, as they are really friend, boundlessly energetic and hilarious.

By *inky_CarpenterMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Rats are the way forwards

By *aggonerMan
over a year ago

for a penny

"We had about 5 of them a few years ago, including Papa (he was the new Guinea...) and they were a lot of fun. We kept them outside in a hutch, but the favourite was Gilbert - he really was like a miniature dog, as he would come charging out to see you when he heard one us opening the door and always really affectionate.

We've had almost every type of domestic rodent there is (except for Chipmunks, as they are far too insane!) and Guinea Pigs are a real favourite.

For anyone wanting to explore new types of pet, then we recommend Degus, as they are really friend, boundlessly energetic and hilarious."

Any animal can be a great deal of fun if you spend time with them rather than just clean them out and feed them.

As you say, they have their own personalities.

Post new Message to Thread