Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Eyebrows

Jump to newest

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

Sorry me again! I promise this will be the last of my random threads

Those who fill in there eyebrows which do you prefer a pencil or powder? I got a pencil but its awful (probably doesn't help it was the cheapest of the cheap) its really difficult to use as the nib breaks when ever you press on the skin but when you don’t it does nothing. Ive been looking at getting a powder as the experts on Youtube say its easier. Whats your opinion/preference just to see if I should either buy a new pencil or just change to a new method

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

Your eyebrows are fine, if you feel the need powder looks more natural

Mrs

By *os_GoddessofdawnWoman
over a year ago

In the clouds

"Sorry me again! I promise this will be the last of my random threads

Those who fill in there eyebrows which do you prefer a pencil or powder? I got a pencil but its awful (probably doesn't help it was the cheapest of the cheap) its really difficult to use as the nib breaks when ever you press on the skin but when you don’t it does nothing. Ive been looking at getting a powder as the experts on Youtube say its easier. Whats your opinion/preference just to see if I should either buy a new pencil or just change to a new method

I use a brow mascara, I am naturally fair, so have to, or I look like I have no brows.. could try that

"

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Hold the nib of the pencil between your fingers to warm it before you apply. I tint mine (when I can be bothered)

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I use pencil because I need a more dramatic effect after the good old over plucking trend in the 90s… soap and glory do a brilliant product called archery brow tint and pencil

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Your eyebrows are fine, if you feel the need powder looks more natural

Mrs "

Its more for a costume than day to day wear as i am only just getting the hand of the basics

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Sorry me again! I promise this will be the last of my random threads

I use a brow mascara, I am naturally fair, so have to, or I look like I have no brows.. could try that

"

Thats a good idea didnt think of that

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Hold the nib of the pencil between your fingers to warm it before you apply. I tint mine (when I can be bothered) "

Thats probably why it wasn’t working then haha. They never tell you that part lol. I’ll try that and see if it makes a difference

By *ust a little bit moreWoman
over a year ago

kendal

Powder!

over a year ago

Personally I like eyebrow pencils that you twist up, and there is a spoolie brush on the other end. My current fave is the one from NYX cosmetics, but I also love the Soap & Glory one. They are softer than pencils but give more definition than powder.

Mrs

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I use pencil because I need a more dramatic effect after the good old over plucking trend in the 90s… soap and glory do a brilliant product called archery brow tint and pencil "

I will have to check it out

I’ve heard that it wasnt the best of trends

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Personally I like eyebrow pencils that you twist up, and there is a spoolie brush on the other end. My current fave is the one from NYX cosmetics, but I also love the Soap & Glory one. They are softer than pencils but give more definition than powder.

Mrs"

I will definitely have a look at those types as I have the traditional type and there a pain to sharpen as they just break.

That does sound so much easier!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Hold the nib of the pencil between your fingers to warm it before you apply. I tint mine (when I can be bothered)

Thats probably why it wasn’t working then haha. They never tell you that part lol. I’ll try that and see if it makes a difference "

Also if you're going to use mascara run the container under the hot tap it goes on much more evenly and less likely to clump

over a year ago

You can dye your eyebrows. It’s very easy, inexpensive. Boots does some good kits for this.

There is also a gel you can get from maybelline which is a longer lasting ‘brow tattoo’. It’s definitely not a brow tattoo, but it lasts well over a day or maybe a little longer.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Hold the nib of the pencil between your fingers to warm it before you apply. I tint mine (when I can be bothered)

Thats probably why it wasn’t working then haha. They never tell you that part lol. I’ll try that and see if it makes a difference

Also if you're going to use mascara run the container under the hot tap it goes on much more evenly and less likely to clump"

Thats another dilemma do i go lashes or mascara. I will definitely try at as the one from Primark is very lumpy.

Thank you so much! This is going to be a game changer

over a year ago

"Personally I like eyebrow pencils that you twist up, and there is a spoolie brush on the other end. My current fave is the one from NYX cosmetics, but I also love the Soap & Glory one. They are softer than pencils but give more definition than powder.

Mrs

I will definitely have a look at those types as I have the traditional type and there a pain to sharpen as they just break.

That does sound so much easier! "

I prefer this kind because they are fine enough to do the shape if your brows, and also easy to use to fill in any gaps, then the spooling brush is handy for brushing through the brows to blend any harsh lines

Mrs

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

Mrs

That does sound so much easier!

I prefer this kind because they are fine enough to do the shape if your brows, and also easy to use to fill in any gaps, then the spooling brush is handy for brushing through the brows to blend any harsh lines

Mrs"

Will definitely give the NYX one a look. Need a trip to boots again i think

over a year ago

i know not specifically what you were looking for, but could maybe be an option to try?

but i use the NYX 'thick it, stick it' brow mascara.. its about £7 in superd®ug.

its like a slightly tinted gel, that has fibres in it to mimic hairs.

provides a really subtle, natural look, and stays put all day/night.

bonus for me was they actually had an auburn shade

have fun trying out your new recommendations OP Px

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"i know not specifically what you were looking for, but could maybe be an option to try?

but i use the NYX 'thick it, stick it' brow mascara.. its about £7 in superd®ug.

its like a slightly tinted gel, that has fibres in it to mimic hairs.

provides a really subtle, natural look, and stays put all day/night.

bonus for me was they actually had an auburn shade

have fun trying out your new recommendations OP Px "

Always up for trying something new, will give it a look when i go tomorrow

Thats even better as i would sooner not to have to reapply through the night

Thank you!!!!

over a year ago

I use pomade and a fine angled brush. You have to be light handed though or it ends up looking too dark and blocky.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I use pomade and a fine angled brush. You have to be light handed though or it ends up looking too dark and blocky. "

May have to do some research, im not particularly light handed though so it could be a interesting look

over a year ago

"I use pomade and a fine angled brush. You have to be light handed though or it ends up looking too dark and blocky.

May have to do some research, im not particularly light handed though so it could be a interesting look "

To be fair i probably wouldn’t recommend it if you’re not confident in using it. Maybe try a brow mascara like mentioned above. It’s fun to play around, using different methods until you find one that works

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I use pomade and a fine angled brush. You have to be light handed though or it ends up looking too dark and blocky.

May have to do some research, im not particularly light handed though so it could be a interesting look

To be fair i probably wouldn’t recommend it if you’re not confident in using it. Maybe try a brow mascara like mentioned above. It’s fun to play around, using different methods until you find one that works "

It is definitely fun and really enjoying discovering a new side of me I didn’t know was there

Appreciate the honest opinion and thank you will keep it in mind when i get a lot better at it

By *aggonerMan
over a year ago

for a penny

I’ll send you the clippings from mine. I have more than enough. Expect a small parcel each Monday.

By *onkeynutWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

I use wunderbrow HD gel, it’s AMAZING.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I use wunderbrow HD gel, it’s AMAZING."

I will take a look thank you!!

over a year ago

"

Thats another dilemma do i go lashes or mascara. "

Both!

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"

Thats another dilemma do i go lashes or mascara.

Both!"

I have been eyeing up a pair to be honest. Just scare i will poke my eye out with tweezers

over a year ago

Secret option number 3:

Glue em.

Block em.

Draw on new ones.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Secret option number 3:

Glue em.

Block em.

Draw on new ones.

"

That is actually such a good idea!!!

Random question, i see everyone uses that purple glue, will a normal gluestick work just as well?

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

These are the only part of my body that a) are actually black (my mum had jet black hair) and b) weirdly haven't greyed (though she went grey at 30!).

So I just trim them at bit, as they can grow a bit long and sprongy now. (Like pubes they seem to grow again at older ages - we men must groom!). pt

over a year ago

"Secret option number 3:

Glue em.

Block em.

Draw on new ones.

Random question, i see everyone uses that purple glue, will a normal gluestick work just as well? "

It will.

But is a long process!

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Secret option number 3:

Glue em.

Block em.

Draw on new ones.

Random question, i see everyone uses that purple glue, will a normal gluestick work just as well?

It will.

But is a long process!"

*opens up youtube*

To be fair im quite lucky my natural ones aren’t too bad. I wouldn’t dare pluck them on my own again last time it went disastrous lol

I might have to invest in some of those stencils from Amazon

over a year ago

I do all my brows freehand. Thinking of investing in stencils but I like being able to do freehand and don't want to lose the skill. X

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I do all my brows freehand. Thinking of investing in stencils but I like being able to do freehand and don't want to lose the skill. X"

Thats amazing! To be able to do free hand and look as good as yours!

For me its pretty difficult to see without my glasses on so i think the stencil route is probably best for me personally

over a year ago

Send me a friend invite and let me know which ones you get, think I'm going to get some too xx

over a year ago

For drawing them I use Mac fluidline eyeliner in dark brown, and apply with a nail brush.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Send me a friend invite and let me know which ones you get, think I'm going to get some too xx"

Will do xx

over a year ago

"I use pencil because I need a more dramatic effect after the good old over plucking trend in the 90s… soap and glory do a brilliant product called archery brow tint and pencil

I will have to check it out

I’ve heard that it wasnt the best of trends "

That trend was deeply regrettable for many

over a year ago

I use a pomade and a thin eyebrow angled brush.

Revolution pomade is pretty good! And I recommend investing in a high quality brush like Zoeva etc. And always use a light hand.

I've filled my eyebrows in for years but I'm shit at it. Pomade gel is definitely the best I've tried.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I use a pomade and a thin eyebrow angled brush.

Revolution pomade is pretty good! And I recommend investing in a high quality brush like Zoeva etc. And always use a light hand.

I've filled my eyebrows in for years but I'm shit at it. Pomade gel is definitely the best I've tried. "

Will definitely have a look at pomade as a few people have mentioned it. Hopefully i can master it and not get too blocky

Thank you for the brush recommendation will definitely invest in better brushes as the one i got are not the best to be honest

By *ehindHerEyesCouple
over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

I used to use pomade, but now I use a powder palette, revolution do a good one if you want to keep costs down, or you can always just use a good matte eyeshadow in the colour you want.

Soap and glory do a good pomade pencil and benefit are really good for brow products too

Tinder x

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

Don't now about filling them in currently they're vying for the Dennis Healy award for eyebrows. Have to trim them

By *ehindHerEyesCouple
over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

I've filled my eyebrows in for years but I'm shit at it. Pomade gel is definitely the best I've tried.

Will definitely have a look at pomade as a few people have mentioned it. Hopefully i can master it and not get too blocky

Thank you for the brush recommendation will definitely invest in better brushes as the one i got are not the best to be honest "

worst case get some stencils, it's how I started, a good tip is to have a good angled flat eyebrow brush for a sharper finish x

Tinder

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Don't now about filling them in currently they're vying for the Dennis Healy award for eyebrows. Have to trim them "

Don't you instantly look younger though eh?

By *anshee99Woman
over a year ago

all over

The pencil type that you wind up, not one you sharpen.

Rimmel

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I used to use pomade, but now I use a powder palette, revolution do a good one if you want to keep costs down, or you can always just use a good matte eyeshadow in the colour you want.

Soap and glory do a good pomade pencil and benefit are really good for brow products too

Tinder x

"

Definitely do appreciate good items that dont break the bank lol

Will take a look at those as the people in boots are not always the most helpful at times. Thank you!

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"The pencil type that you wind up, not one you sharpen.

Rimmel"

I learned that the hard way after destroying 2 sharpers lol

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

Thank you for the brush recommendation will definitely invest in better brushes as the one i got are not the best to be honest

worst case get some stencils, it's how I started, a good tip is to have a good angled flat eyebrow brush for a sharper finish x

Tinder "

I’ve ordered some, they are coming tomorrow. Never been so excited for pieces of plastic lol

Hopefully they will help as ive managed to make everything else somewhat there just brows i cant get the hang of

By *ehindHerEyesCouple
over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

Tinder

I’ve ordered some, they are coming tomorrow. Never been so excited for pieces of plastic lol

Hopefully they will help as ive managed to make everything else somewhat there just brows i cant get the hang of "

It took me a whole bit once you get the knack of it you'll do them in minutes

Tinder x

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

Tinder

Hopefully they will help as ive managed to make everything else somewhat there just brows i cant get the hang of

It took me a whole bit once you get the knack of it you'll do them in minutes

Tinder x "

Fingers crossed, its all part of the fun and once it comes together theres no better feeling

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Mrs"

I agree on the Nyx one.

over a year ago

I use the Maybelline crayon, easy to style and brush to finish.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I use the Maybelline crayon, easy to style and brush to finish."

Simple is the way i like to roll sounds fairly straightforward

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I don't know if it's still available (I've still got plenty left), but Maybelline do or did something that was sort of like a brow mascara? Not a gel - it doesn't freeze the hair in place - but it adds colour on top. It's a bit uneven so you need to go over it with a spoolie after, but if the problem is pale or thin hair, rather than patchiness, that will help.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I just use one of those retractable pencil type ones, with a spoolie on the other end.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"I don't know if it's still available (I've still got plenty left), but Maybelline do or did something that was sort of like a brow mascara? Not a gel - it doesn't freeze the hair in place - but it adds colour on top. It's a bit uneven so you need to go over it with a spoolie after, but if the problem is pale or thin hair, rather than patchiness, that will help."

Maybelline tattoo brow gel is quite good.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I don't know if it's still available (I've still got plenty left), but Maybelline do or did something that was sort of like a brow mascara? Not a gel - it doesn't freeze the hair in place - but it adds colour on top. It's a bit uneven so you need to go over it with a spoolie after, but if the problem is pale or thin hair, rather than patchiness, that will help.

Maybelline tattoo brow gel is quite good."

Probably a silly question, is it permanent?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I don't know if it's still available (I've still got plenty left), but Maybelline do or did something that was sort of like a brow mascara? Not a gel - it doesn't freeze the hair in place - but it adds colour on top. It's a bit uneven so you need to go over it with a spoolie after, but if the problem is pale or thin hair, rather than patchiness, that will help.

Probably a silly question, is it permanent? "

Not a silly question. It's a silly name. No, it's not permanent.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

[Removed by poster at 22/05/23 06:41:58]

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

Probably a silly question, is it permanent?

Not a silly question. It's a silly name. No, it's not permanent."

Phew, that could have led to a few interesting conversations lol

May have to have a look then if it give a more natural hint

over a year ago

I use gel and a brilliant brow brush from Mac.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I use gel and a brilliant brow brush from Mac. "

Is mac worth the money as i have a few friends who said there not brilliant for the cost?

over a year ago

"I use gel and a brilliant brow brush from Mac.

Is mac worth the money as i have a few friends who said there not brilliant for the cost? "

Overall no. Not because they aren’t good just that the quality of cheaper brands has caught up. Hard to justify the price now. The briw brush is good, stays sharp as a lot of cheap ones get a bit fluffy.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

Is mac worth the money as i have a few friends who said there not brilliant for the cost?

Overall no. Not because they aren’t good just that the quality of cheaper brands has caught up. Hard to justify the price now. The briw brush is good, stays sharp as a lot of cheap ones get a bit fluffy."

I got ridiculously cheap brushes (3.50 for 10) and can definitely see that they are not great and the bristles just fall out.

Will take a look at some of them as i got some new ones coming but always good to expand the collection

over a year ago

Overall no. Not because they aren’t good just that the quality of cheaper brands has caught up. Hard to justify the price now. The briw brush is good, stays sharp as a lot of cheap ones get a bit fluffy.

I got ridiculously cheap brushes (3.50 for 10) and can definitely see that they are not great and the bristles just fall out.

Will take a look at some of them as i got some new ones coming but always good to expand the collection "

Real Techniques and Morphe are both very good, reasonably priced. RT often have deals on in Boots too.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

Will take a look at some of them as i got some new ones coming but always good to expand the collection

Real Techniques and Morphe are both very good, reasonably priced. RT often have deals on in Boots too. "

Will definitely take a look today when i go

By *mma29Couple
over a year ago

wirral

I use a twist up one called incredibrow from a brand called collection, it's like £3 in Asda. You name it, I've tried it, but weirdly i've found this to be the best. It's got a teardrop shaped tip so you can follow the shape of your brows easy and it doesn't smudge and lasts until you wipe it off. I do get mine microbladed now because naturally they're white blonde and I look like I have none but I still use this pencil to go over them

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I use a twist up one called incredibrow from a brand called collection, it's like £3 in Asda. You name it, I've tried it, but weirdly i've found this to be the best. It's got a teardrop shaped tip so you can follow the shape of your brows easy and it doesn't smudge and lasts until you wipe it off. I do get mine microbladed now because naturally they're white blonde and I look like I have none but I still use this pencil to go over them "

Oooo sounds like that could definitely be helpful. A trip to asda too then

Post new Message to Thread