Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Are all estate agents liar's

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Trying to buy a house and everything that comes out of this agents mouth is utter BS. Just be honest Jesus!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Its the most immoral profession, they lie to you the buyer and they lie to the seller too

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

In other shocking news.....people who make money from persuading people to sell/buy houses for more money so their % commission is increased lie about faults, imperfections and important info on how the neighbours are a actually satanists sacrificing goats in the back garden every weekend during naked orgies, and how the garden may/may not contain the corpses of several previous occupants.

Yep.

Estate agents tell fibs.

A

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

ok google, play boys a liar pt2

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

With a few exception anyone who’s job is trying to sell you something tells lies

over a year ago

Swiss Tony enthusiasts

By *omtom7Man
over a year ago

Tralee

Comes with the job. Most sales do to some degree tbf

over a year ago

You have to be a different kind of person to be in sales! I don't know if I'm too honest for it. But surely they would of have more respect and possibly sales if they were honest!

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

I hear ya,

Trying to buy my first home and the estate agents here are in full on bullsh*t mode. One recently told me they had offers on a house over £500K, it sold for £450K, well within my budget so I lost out.

I was furious

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Trying to buy a house and everything that comes out of this agents mouth is utter BS. Just be honest Jesus! "

Them and car salesmen...

over a year ago

"I hear ya,

Trying to buy my first home and the estate agents here are in full on bullsh*t mode. One recently told me they had offers on a house over £500K, it sold for £450K, well within my budget so I lost out.

I was furious "

That's exactly the issue I'm in. Was told had no offered ever since it's been on the market. Too much work for everyone. I sold my house yesterday so put an offer in, then all of a sudden an offer was made that morning for asking price! WTF!

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

Arrange a 2nd viewing & speak directly to the seller?

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

"I hear ya,

I was furious

That's exactly the issue I'm in. Was told had no offered ever since it's been on the market. Too much work for everyone. I sold my house yesterday so put an offer in, then all of a sudden an offer was made that morning for asking price! WTF!"

It’s bollocks, it’s why I f*cking hate dealing with them.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I hear ya,

I was furious

That's exactly the issue I'm in. Was told had no offered ever since it's been on the market. Too much work for everyone. I sold my house yesterday so put an offer in, then all of a sudden an offer was made that morning for asking price! WTF!

It’s bollocks, it’s why I f*cking hate dealing with them. "

Its the wild wild west

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"Trying to buy a house and everything that comes out of this agents mouth is utter BS. Just be honest Jesus! "

Don't listen to them then, make your own decisions and assessments. I can honestly say I've never had any issue with any estate agent, and I don't know why anyone would.

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"I hear ya,

I was furious

It’s bollocks, it’s why I f*cking hate dealing with them. "

Offers are made and withdrawn all the time, it's not necessarily the EA's fault.

Ps. I'm not an estate agent

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

chichester

Yes most I have interacted with over the years have been full of shit and just trying to snag their commissions by any means

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

"I hear ya,

I was furious

It’s bollocks, it’s why I f*cking hate dealing with them.

Offers are made and withdrawn all the time, it's not necessarily the EA's fault.

Ps. I'm not an estate agent "

If they said that offers were dropped and there’s no chain, I wouldn’t of been quite as peeved!

By *ustus555Couple
over a year ago

NG 21

"Arrange a 2nd viewing & speak directly to the seller? "

Exactly this. House been on market 3months. No offers apparently. We took 2 viewings on a Saturday and received 2 offers for full asking price.

Go figure.

over a year ago

Is the pope a catholic?

However, they possibly did not lie and cheat as much as the politicians that have been running the country since the corrupt immoral BoJo became PM and got his snout in the trough.

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"I hear ya,

I was furious "

Why would you not have made your offer and told them that if the other offers disappeared then you were good at this price for X days. If they are bullshitting you then you win and if they are telling you the truth then you haven’t lost out

By *elpful and caringMan
over a year ago

Scarborough

Absolutely not.

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

"I hear ya,

I was furious

Why would you not have made your offer and told them that if the other offers disappeared then you were good at this price for X days. If they are bullshitting you then you win and if they are telling you the truth then you haven’t lost out"

I should have clarified, I put in an offer at 468, they refused to send it over, it was only when I spoke to the previous owners that I found out.

over a year ago

"I hear ya,

I was furious

Why would you not have made your offer and told them that if the other offers disappeared then you were good at this price for X days. If they are bullshitting you then you win and if they are telling you the truth then you haven’t lost out

I should have clarified, I put in an offer at 468, they refused to send it over, it was only when I spoke to the previous owners that I found out. "

so they did themselves out of comm ?

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple
over a year ago

Watford

"sacrificing goats in the back garden every weekend during naked orgies

A"

There you go, they always have to make the place sound better than it is.

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

"I hear ya,

I was furious

I should have clarified, I put in an offer at 468, they refused to send it over, it was only when I spoke to the previous owners that I found out. so they did themselves out of comm ?"

I’d imagine they got comm, but not what they were expecting once it sold for 450. It may have taught them a lesson in not being greedy and massively overpricing a property.

What also happened, I think, was that 2 identical properties on the same estate came up as well, in much better condition at 550 and 540, they were fully decorated, kitchen updated etc etc and, I would argue, ready to go straight away, that didn’t help their case.

The current owners wanted to move quickly to a smaller place.

By *ellanbennyCouple
over a year ago

cambs

[Removed by poster at 19/05/23 09:17:31]

By *ellanbennyCouple
over a year ago

cambs

Yes, they're all liars!

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"I hear ya,

I was furious

I should have clarified, I put in an offer at 468, they refused to send it over, it was only when I spoke to the previous owners that I found out. "

If I was the seller and did not receive the best offer then I would be more than pissed off.

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

"I hear ya,

I was furious

I should have clarified, I put in an offer at 468, they refused to send it over, it was only when I spoke to the previous owners that I found out.

If I was the seller and did not receive the best offer then I would be more than pissed off."

It was weird, when I first spoke to the owners on a viewing, they said they wasn’t happy with the Agent. Ignoring what they’re saying, pictures were rubbish etc. property was stunning, but wasn’t worth near what they were asking for it.

By *he Silver FuxMan
over a year ago

Uttoxeter

I’m always amazed at the cameras they use - amazing lenses! And then the cropped selective shots…

I’m traveling 4 hours to look at these properties, walking in, swearing, walking straight out…

By *he Silver FuxMan
over a year ago

Uttoxeter

"I hear ya,

I was furious

I should have clarified, I put in an offer at 468, they refused to send it over, it was only when I spoke to the previous owners that I found out. so they did themselves out of comm ?

I’d imagine they got comm, but not what they were expecting once it sold for 450. It may have taught them a lesson in not being greedy and massively overpricing a property.

What also happened, I think, was that 2 identical properties on the same estate came up as well, in much better condition at 550 and 540, they were fully decorated, kitchen updated etc etc and, I would argue, ready to go straight away, that didn’t help their case.

The current owners wanted to move quickly to a smaller place. "

I don’t doubt that buyers who arrange for a brown envelope, off the books, cash incentive are getting to see properties first and having their offers promoted

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yes but on the whole we've found them to be honest and reliable.

The agents who dealt with our most recent sale and purchase were extremely good. Obviously they took flattering pictures of both properties and described them in glowing terms but you catch more flies with honey than vinegar and we took all sensible measures to ensure the property was worth the money before proceeding

By *ehindHerEyesCouple
over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

"I hear ya,

I was furious

I should have clarified, I put in an offer at 468, they refused to send it over, it was only when I spoke to the previous owners that I found out. so they did themselves out of comm ?

The current owners wanted to move quickly to a smaller place.

I don’t doubt that buyers who arrange for a brown envelope, off the books, cash incentive are getting to see properties first and having their offers promoted"

Most estate agents have a list of cash buy rent to let etc that get heads up of properties when they're getting ready for listing, we were told this when we were in a rented property and the owner was selling.

Tinder x

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"I hear ya,

I was furious

I think they're legally obliged to send all offers to the sellers - I could be wrong, but that's as I understand it.

By *uffymayfairCouple
over a year ago

vera playa, Almeria

Here in Spain, generally, they are the biggest crooks you'll ever meet.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Trying to buy a house and everything that comes out of this agents mouth is utter BS. Just be honest Jesus!

Is the pope a catholic?

However, they possibly did not lie and cheat as much as the politicians that have been running the country since the corrupt immoral BoJo became PM and got his snout in the trough. "

Oh.. Thats OK then.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"I hear ya,

I was furious

I thought they were obliged (legally) to pass on all offers to the seller.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Liar liar pants on fire

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Car Sales, House Sale and Politics.

By *oublethefunMan
over a year ago

royston

Well after working for them for a number of years I can tell you I have only come across one that was good at their job. Most would sell their own children if they could and they all promise the world but deliver very little. Always late and know every excuse in the book.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Car Sales, House Sale and Politics."
all venerable occupations

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I hear ya,

I was furious "

Why ? You stopped yourself paying 50k more than you wanted to pay. If you'd have offered 450 or just over it would probably be yours.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Car Sales, House Sale and Politics.all venerable occupations "

Did I just sell my car to ?

over a year ago

"I should have clarified, I put in an offer at 468, they refused to send it over, it was only when I spoke to the previous owners that I found out. "

If you put in an offer then they are legally bound to pass that offer on to the vendor. Even if the offer is a piss take price. An exception may be where the vendor has given instructions to auto reject offers bellow a certain price. I would have thought any agent worth their salt would keep in touch with all interested parties and try and make a deal happen.

If you’ve spoken with the vendor tell them you put in a higher offer which the agent never passed on. They will be more furious than you!

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

You generally can’t rely on a sales person for such big purchases like property and cars. Do your own due diligence.

On price , the agents job is to get the best price for the client. They can’t discuss other offers and must respond formally not verbally, so ignore anything they say , make your offer and wait for an email confirming it’s not been accepted before deciding your next move. If they won’t put it in an email but say no, it’s actually still being considered by the client or hasn’t been put forward. Call them out and say you’ll report them

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I should have clarified, I put in an offer at 468, they refused to send it over, it was only when I spoke to the previous owners that I found out.

If you put in an offer then they are legally bound to pass that offer on to the vendor. Even if the offer is a piss take price. An exception may be where the vendor has given instructions to auto reject offers bellow a certain price. I would have thought any agent worth their salt would keep in touch with all interested parties and try and make a deal happen.

If you’ve spoken with the vendor tell them you put in a higher offer which the agent never passed on. They will be more furious than you!"

Even auto rejects they must respond in writing for compliance on the gazunping law.

over a year ago

Yes. Yes they are. The biggest lie being that the British public has been brainwashed into believing that we need an Estate Agent in order to sell our property!

I strongly believe we are all just human beings trying to make our way in life with minimal fuss and maximum effort, no matter of our race or creed or personal definition. We are all beautiful people inside and out. We are the magnificent human race and worthy of our time in the suns brilliant rays, illuminating our path to happiness. That is, except, Estate Agents. Not them.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Its the most immoral profession, they lie to you the buyer and they lie to the seller too "

Pretty much this. The agents we dealt with for our recent sale and purchase were actually really good but when viewing houses, we had some absolutely awful agents who would have told us black is white, if we agreed to buy. Made me NOT want to view any other properties they marketed, even if ones we'd have liked. One agent would phone us incessantly which I found very, very annoying.

By *inballs99Man
over a year ago

Blackheath

Ok in reality they are just trying to make a commission and that means selling the product!!

(Is hieneken beer the best ?) They are just trying to make sales

over a year ago

I’ve actually had good and bad experiences with estate agents, and on the whole they’ve been good. (The bad experience was when selling and I binned that agent, and haven’t even viewed properties they were marketing when buying since.)

With regards to the property, do your own checks! If buying with a mortgage, the lender will also do insist on checks.

The real value of an estate agent is progressing the deal and keeping it in bed.

By *he Silver FuxMan
over a year ago

Uttoxeter

"Yes. Yes they are. The biggest lie being that the British public has been brainwashed into believing that we need an Estate Agent in order to sell our property!

I strongly believe we are all just human beings trying to make our way in life with minimal fuss and maximum effort, no matter of our race or creed or personal definition. We are all beautiful people inside and out. We are the magnificent human race and worthy of our time in the suns brilliant rays, illuminating our path to happiness. That is, except, Estate Agents. Not them. "

LoL’d!!

By *izzy.Woman
over a year ago

Stoke area

My son is an Estate Agent and he has a good wage and the commission is a very small part of his salary. He's previously worked for some agents that didn't have good standards of practise, however the company he's with now is wonderful for being realistic, thorough and with an extremely good reputation. There are awards given that are based on customer feedback, I'm not sure how the public can find out the award winners in their area.

By *eroMacrMan
over a year ago

Kincardine

Short answer: yes.

Rental agents are worse though!

over a year ago

Last time I used fixed fee agents and once in contact with the other vendors we did it all ourselves. Only used the agents again for key handover on completion as they couldn’t keep up with events.

By *anes HubbyCouple
over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

"Trying to buy a house and everything that comes out of this agents mouth is utter BS. Just be honest Jesus!

Don't listen to them then, make your own decisions and assessments. I can honestly say I've never had any issue with any estate agent, and I don't know why anyone would. "

This.....

By *ed MartinMan
over a year ago

Shefford

There’s literally no professional training or qualification needed to be an estate agent, you just need to be able to bullshit and lie convincingly.

over a year ago

I’m just wondering how many actual estate agents are on here and secretly following the thread

Wondering why they’re up there with traffic wardens

By *hilledGuyClactonMan
over a year ago

Little clacton

My one was good.

When buying the house it was empty,was being sold because the previous owner had died.(so no chain)

He was honest,he said don't offer the asking price because these houses have issues with mould,during winter.because of how the brickwork is done.Basically a a full brick is used to connect the front/back skim of bricks.So cold air hits the front of the house,travels through the brick to the inside wall of the house = causing bad condensation when the inside is hot (heating etc) got the house for around 10k cheaper.Because they didn't want to own during winter months.

over a year ago

"There’s literally no professional training or qualification needed to be an estate agent, you just need to be able to bullshit and lie convincingly."

The same as car salesmen, and any sales person to be fair. But yeah estate agents and car salesmen, would sell their own granny’s for a £1 profit

By *anes HubbyCouple
over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

By law (In England and Wales) agents are obliged to submit all offers to the seller, they are also legally obliged to submit any higher offer up to the point of completion.

We have brought and sold multiple properties through agents and have never once had a problem.

Post new Message to Thread