Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

E Scooter Madness

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Reports that following a fire on the tube involving a privately owned e scooter the Mare of London is now fining the buggers with 12k collected so far. What's going on here guys. It's all over the news

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

I blame Brexit.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Reports that following a fire on the tube involving a privately owned e scooter the Mare of London is now fining the buggers with 12k collected so far. What's going on here guys. It's all over the news"

Makes sense to me Tom.

"In March, the Standard reported how firefighters have been called out to more than 150 fires in a year caused by e-scooter and e-bike batteries overheating. There are fears of a major disaster if a fire broke out deep underground in central London."

Imagine a fire in a tube train. Not good at all. I doubt many get taken on buses as that would kind of defeat the object of having a scooter, but tubes have to minimise any fire risk giving their design.

The ban came in back in 2021 and there are signs, so people who get fined can't really complain.

A

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Ban the buggers

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

MADNESS

over a year ago

These scooters won’t be around furlong if the “Mare” of London has anything to do with it.

By *anson44Man
over a year ago

bristol

"These scooters won’t be around furlong if the “Mare” of London has anything to do with it."

Very good !

We have them in bristol

Nightmare !

By *uper friendly aviatorMan
over a year ago

Dereham

Nice to see the mayor of London actually making a stand against something and not just being a racist POS.

over a year ago

"These scooters won’t be around furlong if the “Mare” of London has anything to do with it."

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

Do we want e-scooters mare, neigh she replied.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Ban the buggers "

To be fair, the majority of these e-scooters are being used illegally. They are a menace to pedestrians and road users. Due to being a powered vehicle, they are subject to the same rules as a car or motorbike... They are NOT allowed to be ridden on the footpaths, only on the roads, and require a driving license, Tax, Test, and insurance. Even these hire schemes that are happening around the country require that the rider is licensed.

Cal

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

"Ban the buggers "
Can we also ban the electric bikes as these are also being used on footpaths, they go some speeds as well and I have seen kids nearly run over by them.

By *utterfly64Woman
over a year ago

Raynes Park

Half the trouble is they are so quiet. Like the new electric busses. Really comfortable smooth journey but you just do not hear them coming.

E- scooters are not allowed on the underground so a fine should definitely be placed

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Ban the buggers Can we also ban the electric bikes as these are also being used on footpaths, they go some speeds as well and I have seen kids nearly run over by them."

"Electric Assisted Pedal Bikes", are the only LEGAL type of electric bike. They are only allowed to provide assistance when being pedalled and the assistance must stop at 15.6mph. They are subject to the same rules as a push bike, it is illegal to cycle on footways.

Cal

over a year ago

"Ban the buggers

To be fair, the majority of these e-scooters are being used illegally. They are a menace to pedestrians and road users. Due to being a powered vehicle, they are subject to the same rules as a car or motorbike... They are NOT allowed to be ridden on the footpaths, only on the roads, and require a driving license, Tax, Test, and insurance. Even these hire schemes that are happening around the country require that the rider is licensed.

Cal"

Actually privately owned e-scooters are not even allowed on the roads, only allowed on private land. That may change next year but at the moment only those on approved hire schemes are allowed.

By *oofy321Man
over a year ago

moon base zero

"MADNESS"

One step beyond

By *anchestercreampieloversCouple
over a year ago

manchester

"MADNESS

One step beyond "

Epic song

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

E scooters should be banned full stop.

The people who ride them have zero sense no road knowledge usually smoking a medicinal cigarette and wearing headphones.

The ride like it's their own personal road and cut up car's and pedestrians alike.

They are a fucking menace.

Ban them ban them all to hell.

over a year ago

"E scooters should be banned full stop.

The people who ride them have zero sense no road knowledge usually smoking a medicinal cigarette and wearing headphones.

The ride like it's their own personal road and cut up car's and pedestrians alike.

They are a fucking menace.

Ban them ban them all to hell."

Privately owned ones already are - in terms of where they can be used. They can not be used legally anywhere except on private property

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Well no-one seems to tell that to the dozens of morons I see daily risking their lives driving through busy traffic.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Will be a lot more fires when everyone has to drive electric cars and the batteries start to explode

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Will be a lot more fires when everyone has to drive electric cars and the batteries start to explode "

I believe that electric cars are also banned on the London Underground.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

"Will be a lot more fires when everyone has to drive electric cars and the batteries start to explode

I believe that electric cars are also banned on the London Underground. "

But for how long

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Will be a lot more fires when everyone has to drive electric cars and the batteries start to explode

I believe that electric cars are also banned on the London Underground. "

Makes sense.

It's bloody hard to balance wheels on those thin tracks and imagine all the delays if learning to do so became part of the driving test?

Takes tube drivers years of practice to learn to drive trains on them,especially keeping trains lined up going round corners, hence they get paid so much.

A

By *illan-KillashMan
over a year ago

London/Sussex/Surrey/Berks/Hants

"Reports that following a fire on the tube involving a privately owned e scooter the Mare of London is now fining the buggers with 12k collected so far. What's going on here guys. It's all over the news

Makes sense to me Tom.

"In March, the Standard reported how firefighters have been called out to more than 150 fires in a year caused by e-scooter and e-bike batteries overheating. There are fears of a major disaster if a fire broke out deep underground in central London."

Imagine a fire in a tube train. Not good at all. I doubt many get taken on buses as that would kind of defeat the object of having a scooter, but tubes have to minimise any fire risk giving their design.

The ban came in back in 2021 and there are signs, so people who get fined can't really complain.

A"

Every day on the tube you hear tannoy announcements that they're banned.

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who gets fined.

By *ullyMan
over a year ago

Near Clacton

These "new" batteries are horrendous if they overheat. I saw a bus (fortunately empty) parked in the street, as it happened right on a CCTV it burst into flames at the rear and within seconds literally there was an inferno right through the bus, firefighters got there but they could only cordon off the area and let it burn out. Thank goodness no one was hurt but had that bus been full doesn't bear thinking about. Put me right off ever owning an EV.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"These "new" batteries are horrendous if they overheat. I saw a bus (fortunately empty) parked in the street, as it happened right on a CCTV it burst into flames at the rear and within seconds literally there was an inferno right through the bus, firefighters got there but they could only cordon off the area and let it burn out. Thank goodness no one was hurt but had that bus been full doesn't bear thinking about. Put me right off ever owning an EV."

To be honest, I've seen five or six different videos of electric busses bursting into flames... MOST of them actually weren't electric busses at all, but either natural gas or diesel.

There have however been 18 verified incidents of e-bus battery fires globally since 2010. On the other hand, there were 7 recorded incidents of "bendy busses" bursting into flames around the uk between 2004 and 2010.

Post new Message to Thread