FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Do you take vitamins and do they really work?

Jump to newest

By *he love cats OP   Couple
over a year ago

South Wales

I have big doubt's myself, surely everything you need is somewhere in your diet and if not are vitamins going to solve the problem.

Have a great day all.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nkyCplCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

Regularly supplement with vit c, d, krill oil and a few others.

Massively help me. I find I pick up colds and the like a lot more frequently if I don’t.

By *MandMMCouple
over a year ago

Welwyn garden city

Vitamin D during the winter. Definitely helps with skin

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

Vitamin D plus I take Turmeric for dodgy joints.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I take vit d, collagen (super condensed vit a), omega 3 capsule, b12 and 3 guarana capsules daily

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Vitamin D and iron.

Vitamin D is widely recommended and I have iron absorption problems.

over a year ago

"I take vit d, collagen (super condensed vit a), omega 3 capsule, b12 and 3 guarana capsules daily"
They work. Go for the more expensive options though as they’ve purer, quality ingredients

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

If you have issues absorbing them from what you eat, then it doesn't matter how healthy you are.

They really do help if you know what and how much to take. Also any co factors, for example you need a good level of folate for B12 to activated and with vitamin D, you need K2 and magnesium in various forms.

By *he love cats OP   Couple
over a year ago

South Wales

Dietary supplements don't extend life and might actually shorten it if taken at high levels, researchers reported Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine. While certain nutrients may contribute to a longer life, they need to come from a food source, the study found.

Just read this don't know if it's correct or not but it doesn't seem great if you take too many, best to try and get it from the food source if possible.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Dietary supplements don't extend life and might actually shorten it if taken at high levels, researchers reported Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine. While certain nutrients may contribute to a longer life, they need to come from a food source, the study found.

Just read this don't know if it's correct or not but it doesn't seem great if you take too many, best to try and get it from the food source if possible."

I suspect that this is a multifactorial analysis and depends on a lot of factors.

I eat stuff like liver and spinach *and* take iron supplements to get myself to just above anaemic. I'll keep popping the pills.

By *ams_jokerMan
over a year ago

york

Awe what a good thread, I was just thinking I need to start getting heatly and take some vitamins too. If anyone can message me with recommendations and links I would be so grateful x

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

I take vit D daily ,I had fatigue after my 2nd bout of covid.

I think they help my energy levels and joints as they have calcium in too.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I take fish oil tablets, vitamin D, zinc, and a general multivitamin. I definitely feel like I've had a fewer colds and feel less run down when I take them

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Most create expensive piss, but certain ones are worth it. Vitamin D, for example.

I take VitaBiotics gentle iron (when I remember) because my ferritin stores have become low. I only take it on the back of empirical blood tests. I probably should take Vit D again but did hopefully make decent stores by going abroad last year.

over a year ago

I take one multivitamin a day. Does it work? Fuck knows.

By *ravelling_WilburyMan
over a year ago

Beverley

I try to get them through food, however I do take cod liver oil to lube up my joints

By *nd as if by magicMan
over a year ago

ilford

A bit of cod liver oil helps me, I think. Or maybe it is just learned behaviour from my parents after they made me have a teaspoon a day as a kid!

By *obilebottomMan
over a year ago

All over

"I take fish oil tablets, vitamin D, zinc, and a general multivitamin. I definitely feel like I've had a fewer colds and feel less run down when I take them "

I take exactly the same ones. Not sure of they work but no harm dome, except on the wallet

I do sometimes forget to take the though. I might need a vitamin for that

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Most create expensive piss, but certain ones are worth it. Vitamin D, for example.

I take VitaBiotics gentle iron (when I remember) because my ferritin stores have become low. I only take it on the back of empirical blood tests. I probably should take Vit D again but did hopefully make decent stores by going abroad last year. "

This ^ expensive wee in general. If you look at vit C there are research studies that state that "supplementation does not decrease the overall incidence of colds" and it's generally because we get enough in our diet. Companies want you to take supplements for profit that is always worth remembering.

However the exceptions, I avoid the sun so I take vitamin D and I'm anaemic so I take iron.

over a year ago

I take herbal stuff like rutin (extract from the skin of fruits) and other herbal flavanols, that help with blood flow.

They do work yes.

By *leasures4Couple
over a year ago

East midlands

I take 2 A-Z multivitamins a day and have regular B12 injections.

As a bariatric surgery patient, I don’t get enough vitamins from food alone.

Blood tests show they are keeping me within the right levels.

Mrs x

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Menopause sucks the life out of healthy eating, so I'm that supplemented up, I rattle. I am managing to exist without having to resort to Hrt though, so it works for me

over a year ago

I'm prescribed hihh strength vitamin D and folate because I have a form of blood cancer my body doesn't absorb vitamins properly.

Everyone in the UK should take vitamin D as we don't get enough sun

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

Folic and vitamin D. Doc suggested it and I would have to say that I have been a lot less susceptible to colds and the like to others around me in the same time period

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Best to get all the vitamins from eating the right food. I don't believe in any sort of 'artifical' methods. A lot seem to be there for company profits.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"I take vit D daily ,I had fatigue after my 2nd bout of covid.

I think they help my energy levels and joints as they have calcium in too."

You don't need to have calcium if you take vit D...

By *t0600Man
over a year ago

elvedon

Vitamins are key to your diet . I find them very beneficial

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Best to get all the vitamins from eating the right food. I don't believe in any sort of 'artifical' methods. A lot seem to be there for company profits."

My mum removed all processed food from her diet, stopped taking supplements, and promptly ended up really ill.

Very context specific, but there's a nutrient that doesn't occur in unprocessed food where she lives which is... kinda necessary.

over a year ago

Take a multivitamin tablet every day particularly because I find it helps my skin.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Currently taking marine collagen and also a calcium, magnesium, zinc & Vitamin D combo.

The collagen is to try and stave off perimenopausal skin

Only just started though so not sure of any benefit yet.

over a year ago

^^This. + Collagen tablets have really plumped my skin, reduced any fine lines. I wouldn’t get that from diet alone. Yes could eat copious amounts of cow foot/liver etc but who’s got the time or inclination for that?!

By *mf123Man
over a year ago

with one foot out the door

Yes they taste better than veg

over a year ago

Magnesium definitely works for me.

Zinc and feel like crap.

Others I can't tell.

I struggle with iron though and had to have infusions to solve that one at one point.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

I eat fish and chicken and plenty of veg guess it doesn't get healthier than that, no need for pills

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"I eat fish and chicken and plenty of veg guess it doesn't get healthier than that, no need for pills "

I eat healthily too, but a medication I have to take can cause iron deficiency, hence taking iron for low ferritin. Almost all of us are vit D deficient without supplements. Vit D from diet is poorly absorbed, mainly needs to be synthesised via sunlight in the skin but the UK lacks the right wavelengths of UV light for about half the year.

By *irkby coupleCouple
over a year ago

Kirkby

I took cod liver oil for years, hoping it would help a dodgy knee. Then I read online there is no scientific evidence that it actually helps.

I don’t take anything now.

Post new Message to Thread