Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Aspiring and established

Jump to newest

By *obilebottom OP   Man
over a year ago

All over

gardeners. Have you planted your stuff yet? What's in your garden already or will be shortly? Your marrows courgettes, onions, green beans or your juicy tomatoes or something else

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *obilebottom OP   Man
over a year ago

All over

Nobody has planted anything yet then, perhaps too early or am I late. I just got some onions in and about to put down some courgettes too and a some char.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

My acer died. Paid £29 for it. The camellias are looking healthy though

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I've just planted some cat grass and catnip.

By *obilebottom OP   Man
over a year ago

All over

"My acer died. Paid £29 for it. The camellias are looking healthy though "

Acers can be fragile till are established. They like well drained soil but moist and rich. Sorry to hear yours did not survive.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My garden is so far behind this year that I'm starting to lose hope. Most of the seeds I sowed either failed or were eaten by ants. I sowed a second lot and have four or five varieties of tomato plant, one courgette , three melon, two artichoke, lettuce and rocket. I sowed runner beans and purple beans directly in the ground but so far nothing seems to have germinated. Other years I've been giving plants away by now.

Oh and of five varieties of pepper only one has germinated and something ate the leaves off of my aubergines

By *obilebottom OP   Man
over a year ago

All over

[Removed by poster at 14/05/23 16:27:44]

By *obilebottom OP   Man
over a year ago

All over

"My garden is so far behind this year that I'm starting to lose hope. Most of the seeds I sowed either failed or were eaten by ants. I sowed a second lot and have four or five varieties of tomato plant, one courgette , three melon, two artichoke, lettuce and rocket. I sowed runner beans and purple beans directly in the ground but so far nothing seems to have germinated. Other years I've been giving plants away by now.

Oh and of five varieties of pepper only one has germinated and something ate the leaves off of my aubergines "

Goodness me, that's a lot of lovely stuff. Intrigued about the artichokes, do they do well. I love them but never grown them. Sorry about the other stuff that have not fo e well. I think they weather has been unkind this year and lots of stuff have rotted

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"My garden is so far behind this year that I'm starting to lose hope. Most of the seeds I sowed either failed or were eaten by ants. I sowed a second lot and have four or five varieties of tomato plant, one courgette , three melon, two artichoke, lettuce and rocket. I sowed runner beans and purple beans directly in the ground but so far nothing seems to have germinated. Other years I've been giving plants away by now.

Oh and of five varieties of pepper only one has germinated and something ate the leaves off of my aubergines

Goodness me, that's a lot of lovely stuff. Intrigued about the artichokes, do they do well. I love them but never grown them. Sorry about the other stuff that have not fo e well. I think they weather has been unkind this year and lots of stuff have rotted "

I tried artichokes last year with no success but I had seeds left so thought I'd try again.

I do have some swiss chard that's doing really well but I reckon that would survive a nuclear winter...along with the cockroaches.

I think you're right about the weather.

By *obilebottom OP   Man
over a year ago

All over

Goodness me, that's a lot of lovely stuff. Intrigued about the artichokes, do they do well. I love them but never grown them. Sorry about the other stuff that have not fo e well. I think they weather has been unkind this year and lots of stuff have rotted

I tried artichokes last year with no success but I had seeds left so thought I'd try again.

I do have some swiss chard that's doing really well but I reckon that would survive a nuclear winter...along with the cockroaches.

I think you're right about the weather. "

You have yo let me know how you get on with the artichokes. Yes chard is so easy, mine comes back every year. Good luck with it all

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think you're right about the weather.

You have yo let me know how you get on with the artichokes. Yes chard is so easy, mine comes back every year. Good luck with it all "

Thank you.

I'll let you know how they grow

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

One of our Acers is doing beautifully, the other, not so much. My roses are now starting to thrive again, although one was looking sad today so I moved it.

I planted some bee bombs last year with the children and have spent today removing all the nettles

I’ve also noticed my lupins have self seeded … EVERYWHERE!

I also grow fruit for the children as they love picking it in a morning for their breakfast.

I need another lovely plant that will live happily with roses, so I’m off to the local nurseries in a week or two, some of my favourite places!

Mrs

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

I don't know if it plants well with roses but recently bought a tri-coloured camellia, never seen one so had to buy it.. I've seen some other multi-colour online (Kniphofia uvaria Red Hot Poker), but not sure if they spread. I was thinking about a magnolia as it smelled/looked lovely, but I think they grow pretty large... walked past it but maybe shouldn't have as I want it now.

By *obilebottom OP   Man
over a year ago

All over

"I don't know if it plants well with roses but recently bought a tri-coloured camellia, never seen one so had to buy it.. I've seen some other multi-colour online (Kniphofia uvaria Red Hot Poker), but not sure if they spread. I was thinking about a magnolia as it smelled/looked lovely, but I think they grow pretty large... walked past it but maybe shouldn't have as I want it now."

Magnolias are nice but do grow big. You need to pick the right variety and then make sure you prune accordingly to keep it reasonable small. A decent garden centre/nursery should be able to advise.

Post new Message to Thread