Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should triain drivers beable to strike?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Of course they should, so, here we are again with another set of strikes, starting from tomorrow and ending on saturday, there will be another one after these, they timed it on the day of the fa cup final.

The rail industry is warning of significant disruption, this is due to the two overlapping train strikes.

These strikes will always his the commuters the most as they have to find alternative ways to get to work or other plans they might have.

What is your view about it, why are they striking, is it because of pay and the rising cost of living?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

So if their employer said you have to now work 20 hours a day for £1 an hour they should have to accept it?

Where’s the line?

If you knock someone that’s got a better deal than you then you’ve fallen for the propaganda.

Bring your standards up not theirs down!

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

Basically if you skip all the politics and bullshit. The reality is because they’ve got used to a certain materialistic lifestyle and now with the cost of living going up that lifestyle is threatened, and of course instead of cutting back, they cry like a spoilt child and expect someone else to foot the bill.

The mr

By *orksRockerMan
over a year ago

Bradford

Watch Jonathan Pie on this video and then decide if anyone should strike ......

https://youtu.be/Gljtvwhcdhc

over a year ago

"Basically if you skip all the politics and bullshit. The reality is because they’ve got used to a certain materialistic lifestyle and now with the cost of living going up that lifestyle is threatened, and of course instead of cutting back, they cry like a spoilt child and expect someone else to foot the bill.

The mr "

I thought it was to do with safety claims through reducing personnel on board the train and making drivers have more responsibility?

over a year ago

The day we aren't allowed to strike is a slippery slope for this country. I totally support everyone's right to strike and have access to a good living wage, its the least we all deserve. The media like to broadcast the strikes in a negative light to turn the public against each other, like they have for years with many different issues. If we are all pointing fingers at each other, we aren't pointing the finger at the people who caused all this mess in the first place. We all need to support each other and stop accepting our people struggling when the richest are thriving.

over a year ago

Yes.

Every profession should be able to strike if done legally and following the correct procedures.

over a year ago

"The day we aren't allowed to strike is a slippery slope for this country. I totally support everyone's right to strike and have access to a good living wage, its the least we all deserve. The media like to broadcast the strikes in a negative light to turn the public against each other, like they have for years with many different issues. If we are all pointing fingers at each other, we aren't pointing the finger at the people who caused all this mess in the first place. We all need to support each other and stop accepting our people struggling when the richest are thriving."

Right wing media for you.

Separate and divide. It works well for them so the public don't hold the government accountable for their actions.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

They are paid a lot but the right to strike isn’t concerned with how much someone is paid it’s simply inevitable in a broken country.

If everyone who looks after you and the country - drivers, hospitals, police, army, politicians is allowed to sulk they don’t like their boss / pay etc and not work the uk would be fucked.

Hang on they are, it is

So instead of striking , join a political party , stand in elections and get some decent leaders and all these problems will magically disappear.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"They are paid a lot but the right to strike isn’t concerned with how much someone is paid it’s simply inevitable in a broken country.

If everyone who looks after you and the country - drivers, hospitals, police, army, politicians is allowed to sulk they don’t like their boss / pay etc and not work the uk would be fucked.

Hang on they are, it is

So instead of striking , join a political party , stand in elections and get some decent leaders and all these problems will magically disappear. "

Where's the utopia with a brilliant government that has all its citizens thrilled and filled with joy on a daily basis? No matter who we have in government, someone (or some people), somewhere will be dissatisfied.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Basically if you skip all the politics and bullshit. The reality is because they’ve got used to a certain materialistic lifestyle and now with the cost of living going up that lifestyle is threatened, and of course instead of cutting back, they cry like a spoilt child and expect someone else to foot the bill.

The mr

I thought it was to do with safety claims through reducing personnel on board the train and making drivers have more responsibility?"

The UK rail unions are among the biggest protectionists in the world. They make it very hard almost impossible to reform, automate or reduce costs of anything. Uk also has sine of the the highest train prices in the world and poorest services: Most modern countries trains make the uk’s look like some quaint history lesson.

My train comes every 90-120 seconds in rush hour and costs 65p - £1.30 if I want to ride in Gold class. There are no drivers and no staff other than a couple of security guards doing random checks and spot fines if people eat or drink on the train. It’s 100% run and subsided by the government , nothing essential is contracted out and it never stops running ever 5am to 12/1 am every day. Its affordable for everyone because getting millions of people to work everyday is a priority of the government.

How is it all financed ? Very cleverly - national banks and other big private companies are allowed to have stations named after them.

over a year ago

Same answer as last time. Yes

over a year ago

"They are paid a lot but the right to strike isn’t concerned with how much someone is paid it’s simply inevitable in a broken country.

Hang on they are, it is

So instead of striking , join a political party , stand in elections and get some decent leaders and all these problems will magically disappear. "

Can I just butt in a little please. The armed forces aren’t allowed to strike, we don’t have unions and we cover every other civil servant when they strike.

I’ve personally covered fire brigade strikes previously, we’ve covered bin lorry strikes, ambulance driver strikes and had to back up the police for 35 years in Northern Ireland.

To be able to strike and push for a) better pay b) better conditions and c) safer working practices is a good thing.

Hope you’re enjoying Dubai Mr hotnotts have you finished in Rwanda now

over a year ago

North West

The mr

I thought it was to do with safety claims through reducing personnel on board the train and making drivers have more responsibility?

The UK rail unions are among the biggest protectionists in the world. They make it very hard almost impossible to reform, automate or reduce costs of anything. Uk also has sine of the the highest train prices in the world and poorest services: Most modern countries trains make the uk’s look like some quaint history lesson.

My train comes every 90-120 seconds in rush hour and costs 65p - £1.30 if I want to ride in Gold class. There are no drivers and no staff other than a couple of security guards doing random checks and spot fines if people eat or drink on the train. It’s 100% run and subsided by the government , nothing essential is contracted out and it never stops running ever 5am to 12/1 am every day. Its affordable for everyone because getting millions of people to work everyday is a priority of the government.

How is it all financed ? Very cleverly - national banks and other big private companies are allowed to have stations named after them."

When was the infrastructure built? Not in 1840, I bet. UK infrastructure is ancient and completely inaccessible to disabled people without staff assistance. Even the newest trains built in the past few years are inaccessible without someone deploying a manual ramp. Staff free trains simply are not an option in the UK with the current infrastructure and train design.

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

[Removed by poster at 11/05/23 08:59:17]

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

No. If everyone who wasn't happy in their job went on strike the country would be at a total stand still and totally collapse. How would people survive with no food for starters?

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

This is one of the rare things I’m on the fence with

over a year ago

"No. If everyone who wasn't happy in their job went on strike the country would be at a total stand still and totally collapse. How would people survive with no food for starters?

"

Would cause the government to fold and up wages if there was a national general strike

Also there's usually minimum staffing levels- everyone doesn't just walk out so things wouldn't collapse.

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

"No. If everyone who wasn't happy in their job went on strike the country would be at a total stand still and totally collapse. How would people survive with no food for starters?

Would cause the government to fold and up wages if there was a national general strike

Also there's usually minimum staffing levels- everyone doesn't just walk out so things wouldn't collapse. "

Upping wages isn't the answer. Higher wages mean everything else rises in cost too,it's a bit of a vicious circle.

over a year ago

"The day we aren't allowed to strike is a slippery slope for this country. I totally support everyone's right to strike and have access to a good living wage, its the least we all deserve. The media like to broadcast the strikes in a negative light to turn the public against each other, like they have for years with many different issues. If we are all pointing fingers at each other, we aren't pointing the finger at the people who caused all this mess in the first place. We all need to support each other and stop accepting our people struggling when the richest are thriving.

Right wing media for you.

Separate and divide. It works well for them so the public don't hold the government accountable for their actions."

Don’t be fooled by the whole “Right Wing Media” “Left Wing Media” BS, it’s all owned by the same 2 companies when you look into it. Those being Blackrock & Vanguard

over a year ago

North West

Also there's usually minimum staffing levels- everyone doesn't just walk out so things wouldn't collapse.

Upping wages isn't the answer. Higher wages mean everything else rises in cost too,it's a bit of a vicious circle. "

But we can't just let low paid people sink deeper into poverty because we're trying to suppress wage increases. There are insufficient safety nets for the lowest paid.

By *ee95146Man
over a year ago

ILKLEY

Working for the Railway, sounds like they were close to doing a deal (altered t&cs ) then someone came in at the last minute (department for transport?) And altered the t&Cs again saying if you agree, not allowed to strike anymore. Which union is going to agree and sign off to that ffs? Lol

By *ee95146Man
over a year ago

ILKLEY

More lies from the tories!

TPE fiasco,

Every decision TPE want to make / alter has to be signed off from the DFT/ transport sec! They keep saying no, not signing then tell the public its all the fault of TPE , don't look at us!

Sick all the BS lies!!!

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Should people be able to strike? Yes.

Do I care about the rail industry? Not anymore.

Trains are expensive and unreliable. It feels wrong to not travel on them but I can’t guarantee to get where I want to in the time I want to so I go by car.

Personally I think the train driver role needs to go - automate it and put the money into guards on the train/the rest of the network. I know that won’t happen (and will need much more money) because there would be huge resistance to upgrading the infrastructure required to do so but if the _whole_ industry carries on as it is then it is going to be irrelevant except for that sector of society that has no other choice. That is what makes me most angry.

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

Every feasibility study into full automation of mainline train driving in the UK puts the cost comfortably into the trillions. Enough to pay train drivers for over a thousand years.

If you automate everything, how do normal people earn a living?

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"Every feasibility study into full automation of mainline train driving in the UK puts the cost comfortably into the trillions. Enough to pay train drivers for over a thousand years.

If you automate everything, how do normal people earn a living? "

If the trains don’t run on time at a reasonable cost how do normal people earn a living?

over a year ago

Last year I was going to Strasbourg. No direct flights so thought about flying in to Paris and then trying to get to train to Strasbourg.

The flight to Paris cost £120 each return

The train in France bought through a French train company app and off peak was going to cost over £240 each.

That’s more expensive than the UK for mileage travelled on a train.

It’s not just the UK with high prices.

By *unfunfun xMan
over a year ago

LONDON

For personally reasons absolutely yes

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/05/23 16:07:03]

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"The day we aren't allowed to strike is a slippery slope for this country. I totally support everyone's right to strike and have access to a good living wage, its the least we all deserve. The media like to broadcast the strikes in a negative light to turn the public against each other, like they have for years with many different issues. If we are all pointing fingers at each other, we aren't pointing the finger at the people who caused all this mess in the first place. We all need to support each other and stop accepting our people struggling when the richest are thriving."
Yes, it will be a slippery slope as well, the military and the armed forces are not allowed to strike.

By *anchestercreampieloversCouple
over a year ago

manchester

"Working for the Railway, sounds like they were close to doing a deal (altered t&cs ) then someone came in at the last minute (department for transport?) And altered the t&Cs again saying if you agree, not allowed to strike anymore. Which union is going to agree and sign off to that ffs? Lol"

They offered 4% for last year and 4% for this year but in order to receive this offer we had to sign away all our terms and conditions !!

If they removed their ridiculous demands for the t&cs we would happily accept this well below RPI pay deal ( not had a pay rise for 4 years )

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

If they're doing well enough for bumper bonuses for bosses and dividends for share holders then there's enough for a wage increase for the workers. Especially considering most of the train companies still get bloody tax payers money on top of the extortionate fares they charge

over a year ago

North West

"If they're doing well enough for bumper bonuses for bosses and dividends for share holders then there's enough for a wage increase for the workers. Especially considering most of the train companies still get bloody tax payers money on top of the extortionate fares they charge "

TPE are clearly extracting the urine. Being stripped of the franchise today, finally......

By *iscreetfuncpl12Couple
over a year ago

Somerset

They seem to have it in for us personally! We have booked two trips to London in the last year by train, both six months in advance and both ended up on strike days. The first we had to drive up, the second is on Saturday. Our original train was cancelled but the next train is still scheduled to depart so we are going to risk it though I suspect we will end up standing if it does still go. To add insult to injury we had to pay extra to change trains despite GWR cancelling the original. Hopefully our journey home on Sunday will be unremarkable.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Train drivers don’t even have to strike .. the problem is if they just work their rota there is not enough of them to work the timetable

If they “worked to rule “ you would never have a Sunday service!

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
over a year ago

nearby

Network rail made 324 million profit last year and 1.6bn the year before. So can afford a pay rise

By *anchestercreampieloversCouple
over a year ago

manchester

It’s now not just about money. because the companies have now got government backing, then can ask for crazy changes to our T&Cs, things that would even think about demanding if they had any financial risk too the company !!

This industry is awash with money for the shareholders !!

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

The train strikes is starting today.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Hang on they are, it is

So instead of striking , join a political party , stand in elections and get some decent leaders and all these problems will magically disappear.

Can I just butt in a little please. The armed forces aren’t allowed to strike, we don’t have unions and we cover every other civil servant when they strike.

I’ve personally covered fire brigade strikes previously, we’ve covered bin lorry strikes, ambulance driver strikes and had to back up the police for 35 years in Northern Ireland.

To be able to strike and push for a) better pay b) better conditions and c) safer working practices is a good thing.

Hope you’re enjoying Dubai Mr hotnotts have you finished in Rwanda now "

I’m glad the armed forces can’t strike and I’d personally like to see it extended to all critical services for health , education, infrastructure, transport etc that keep the country functioning well and its people safe. The last thing a country needs is being held to ransom by those who are meant to be serving it.

Thanks…. It’s alright apart from the heat! It’s been a few years since I was in Rwanda, beautiful country

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

The mr

How is it all financed ? Very cleverly - national banks and other big private companies are allowed to have stations named after them.

When was the infrastructure built? Not in 1840, I bet. UK infrastructure is ancient and completely inaccessible to disabled people without staff assistance. Even the newest trains built in the past few years are inaccessible without someone deploying a manual ramp. Staff free trains simply are not an option in the UK with the current infrastructure and train design. "

You make a valid point about the need for investment in infrastructure.

The last big upgrade was done after WW2. Financed by borrowing , it’s possible to do without a war.

By *ortyairCouple
over a year ago

Wallasey

"Train drivers don’t even have to strike .. the problem is if they just work their rota there is not enough of them to work the timetable

If they “worked to rule “ you would never have a Sunday service!

"

Sunday is not even in the working week. We have an option to work it and so is essential ran by drivers volunteering...

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

Hang on they are, it is

Yes, that too .

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

Today, it is the last day of the strikes

By *unfunfun xMan
over a year ago

LONDON

Late starting service tomorrow. Then we're striking 31st May 3rd June unless they sort out this crap contract.

Post new Message to Thread