Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

PrEP

Jump to newest

By *owestoft Man OP   Man
over a year ago

Lowestoft

Hi All

I know unsafe (BB) is a very controversial subject but please leave that behind and lets talk about PrEP.

For those not knowing what it is:-

Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP)

PrEP is a drug taken by HIV-negative people before and after sex that reduces the risk of getting HIV to almost zero. In England, PrEP is available from the NHS from sexual health clinics as a prescription-only drug.

I've been taking PrEP since it became available and so far no adverse reactions to it. What do people think about it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I lost a really good friend a few years ago to HIV. If you’re having regular bareback sex then it seems like a sensible idea. I don’t know much about it in regards to side effects or long term use though.

over a year ago

You can also buy it from Superdrug

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

The marketing from London based hospital trusts has mostly been target towards gay men, as gay men are considered to be the most at risk group from HIV. Quite why it’s not more widely known considering how effective it is a bit of a mystery.

over a year ago

Lowestoft

There is one problem with taking it all the time, in that it does work your kidneys pretty hard. Hence why the NHS etc insist on regular (3 monthly) checkups. These checkups include the full STD screening as taking the PrEP if you are HIV+ is not a good thing.

I agree though, there should be more information about it to the general public. Not just for Gay men but also for all swingers that have unprotected sex. At the Clinics SHC they do tell me that some drug users are prescribed it due to sharing needles etc.

By *uri00620Woman
over a year ago

Croydon

Much better to take as a precautions than taking PEP after exposure. Awful.

I guess it isn't advertised bc the NHS can't be seen to be supportive of bb and esp with the rise of other stis that are resistant to antibiotics, some of which are far more problematic than hiv.

That treatment has come such a long way and is so effective there's very little research being ploughed into it now.

over a year ago

Lowestoft

"Much better to take as a precautions than taking PEP after exposure. Awful.

I guess it isn't advertised bc the NHS can't be seen to be supportive of bb and esp with the rise of other stis that are resistant to antibiotics, some of which are far more problematic than hiv.

That treatment has come such a long way and is so effective there's very little research being ploughed into it now. "

Not sure if its not advertised due to anyone seeing it as supporting any sexual preference or actions, but it does cost the NHS a lot of money. The drug is not cheap. Also PrEP is a prevention and is totally different to the drugs taken for keeping it (HIV) in control. But all the research I've done on it and speaking to the consultants, the Governments all round the world will happily pay for the Prevention as the Cost of Medication for those who are HIV+ is several times higher. Sadly HIV will always be around. I know in Africa HIV is very very bad. But those countries cant afford the PrEP so HIV continues to grow all the time there.

By *uri00620Woman
over a year ago

Croydon

"Much better to take as a precautions than taking PEP after exposure. Awful.

That treatment has come such a long way and is so effective there's very little research being ploughed into it now.

Not sure if its not advertised due to anyone seeing it as supporting any sexual preference or actions, but it does cost the NHS a lot of money. The drug is not cheap. Also PrEP is a prevention and is totally different to the drugs taken for keeping it (HIV) in control. But all the research I've done on it and speaking to the consultants, the Governments all round the world will happily pay for the Prevention as the Cost of Medication for those who are HIV+ is several times higher. Sadly HIV will always be around. I know in Africa HIV is very very bad. But those countries cant afford the PrEP so HIV continues to grow all the time there."

They do target very at risk groups, and offer prep to them bc yes prevention better than cure of course. Plus you can get it over the counter so it's easy enough. Advertising could be seen as encouraging risky behaviors though, after all prep isn't a prevent all. I mean the morning after pill is only just being advertised now as an option and that's been around much longer than prep.

Oh I don't think lots of counties would pay for prep anyway. I was living in SA when Zuma announced if you fuck a virgin you can rid yourself of hiv. A country where it is rife in townships particularly. He had a lot of sway sadly. With corruption as it is across some of these nations still there wouldn't be the investment in treatment either before or after exposure.

By *ornycougaWoman
over a year ago

Wherever I lay my hat

Great. If you are going to BB then get on it. But I wish people would educate themselves and understand that it doesn't give blanket protection against all STIs

over a year ago

"Great. If you are going to BB then get on it. But I wish people would educate themselves and understand that it doesn't give blanket protection against all STIs "

I think this is a big factor, plus unless regularly sexually active it seems a lot more convenient and less hard on the body to stick to condom use for rare encounters perhaps

over a year ago

Lowestoft

"Oh I don't think lots of counties would pay for prep anyway. I was living in SA when Zuma announced if you fuck a virgin you can rid yourself of hiv. A country where it is rife in townships particularly. He had a lot of sway sadly. With corruption as it is across some of these nations still there wouldn't be the investment in treatment either before or after exposure. "

Good to hear from another who lived there. And yes Zuma among many others in Africa said some very strange things about a lot. Africa is very different to the rest of the world when it comes to anything let alone just Medical issues. Before I left there, before Zuma times, I met a lot of American doctors who were brought in by the then Government to go into the villagers and give medical help. They had many problems including the locals being told HIV and Condoms is Western world problem and not for them. But the one thing that shocked all those doctors was that everytime they came back to base they spent hours and hours filling in forms for new HIV+ cases. They were telling me every week each one of them was having 20+ new cases. I know when my Brother was still in Zim the weekend Braais were full of talk about how many new employees died in their work that week. I don't think PrEP will become fully available there and even if it does I don't think it will stop HIV. But its working in other countries to bring the New cases down.

over a year ago

Lowestoft

"Great. If you are going to BB then get on it. But I wish people would educate themselves and understand that it doesn't give blanket protection against all STIs "

I think anyone who knows about PrEP and who are active in BB sex already knows this to be the case. Any who are taking it regularly are reminded of this every time they go to the SHC to get a new supply. But education should also teach that its more than just not wearing condoms that is a problem with pretty much all the other STI's. There seems to be a well spoken myth that oral sex is safe lol. Although catching HIV is less likely in oral sex its not always the case. All the other STI's can be very very easily passed on through oral sex.

The only real safe way is to never have sex with anyone other than your own long term partner. But even that can catch you out lol.

By *ornycougaWoman
over a year ago

Wherever I lay my hat

"Great. If you are going to BB then get on it. But I wish people would educate themselves and understand that it doesn't give blanket protection against all STIs

I think anyone who knows about PrEP and who are active in BB sex already knows this to be the case. Any who are taking it regularly are reminded of this every time they go to the SHC to get a new supply. But education should also teach that its more than just not wearing condoms that is a problem with pretty much all the other STI's. There seems to be a well spoken myth that oral sex is safe lol. Although catching HIV is less likely in oral sex its not always the case. All the other STI's can be very very easily passed on through oral sex.

The only real safe way is to never have sex with anyone other than your own long term partner. But even that can catch you out lol."

You would hope that anyone on here would know all that - but it never ceases to appall me how many don't. I'm not moralising - all I'm saying is that people need to understand the consequences of their actions and make decisions based on their own risk appetite rather than ignorance.

over a year ago

Lowestoft

Agreed but sadly its not just in Sex people are ignorant about risk. Risk is an every day occurrence which we all take in one way or another. I've had to take risks that were required for my own life and for others. Probably a hell of lot more risky than HiV. We have to behave according to our own lives and sometimes those risks pay well and sometimes they don't. I run my life according to my own lifestyle and put risk assessment in the forefront. I understand the consequences but so should all of us.

By *ete1983Man
over a year ago

Antrim

Does anybody know how to buy it without prescription?

By *herry delightWoman
over a year ago

Ilfracombe

"Great. If you are going to BB then get on it. But I wish people would educate themselves and understand that it doesn't give blanket protection against all STIs

I think this is a big factor, plus unless regularly sexually active it seems a lot more convenient and less hard on the body to stick to condom use for rare encounters perhaps "

Can I ask if you use condoms or a dental dam when doing oral sex?

over a year ago

"Does anybody know how to buy it without prescription?"

Superdrug sell it. You still need to buy it from the pharmacy side, but you do the prescription request online

By *ete1983Man
over a year ago

Antrim

Thanks

Post new Message to Thread