Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Stopped exiting Tesco

Jump to newest

By *rhuges OP   Man
over a year ago

Cardiff

Last night I dropped into a Tesco extra to pick up a few things on my way home from work. On the way out I was stopped by security and asked if I had a receipt. I told them I didn't because the value of the things I had brought were less than £20.

They took me back to the self service checkouts and had me hand over my Tesco card to get a receipt. After about 6 mins they managed to get my receipt.

I asked them why they had stopped me.

Now wait for it........ They thought I had taken a £0.30 carrier bag without paying for it.

I asked them if I looked like a person that needed to pinch £0.30p. You'd be surprised was the answer.

They then established that I had actually paid for the bag.

I got a sorry for the inconvenience sir .

What do people think about that?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

"Last night I dropped into a Tesco extra to pick up a few things on my way home from work. On the way out I was stopped by security and asked if I had a receipt. I told them I didn't because the value of the things I had brought were less than £20.

They took me back to the self service checkouts and had me hand over my Tesco card to get a receipt. After about 6 mins they managed to get my receipt.

Now wait for it........ They thought I had taken a £0.30 carrier bag without paying for it.

I asked them if I looked like a person that needed to pinch £0.30p. You'd be surprised was the answer.

What do people think about that? "

They have a shit job and id cut them some slack - it’s a lottery - it will happen to all of us at some point and as long as they were polite - I wouldn’t have an issue … or possibly say ‘a 30p bag?’ Jeez i thought it was the 42 inch tv under my jacket!!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Security guard doing their job

over a year ago

"Last night I dropped into a Tesco extra to pick up a few things on my way home from work. On the way out I was stopped by security and asked if I had a receipt. I told them I didn't because the value of the things I had brought were less than £20.

I wonder if you were still in the store when you were stopped, or outside in the street?

By *aekaeWoman
over a year ago

Between a cock and a soft place

"Security guard doing their job"

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

they are doing their job.

unless they personally insult or assault you, be reasonable and stick to the facts when answering questions.

many supermarkets are now installing barriers which need a till barcode receipt to open them so you can exit.

over a year ago

What does someone that steals plastic bags look like?

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Probably thought "he's a dodgy looking fucker"

over a year ago

Personally, they are doing their job. Irrespective of items costing less than a certain amount, I always opt for having the receipt - quixkee to check that than check their systems/cctv etc.

By *aekaeWoman
over a year ago

Between a cock and a soft place

"What does someone that steals plastic bags look like?"

The OP.

By *avinaTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Transsexual Transylvania

My wife used to laugh. Invariably if we went into a nicer shop, a security guard would fo

llow us around. She said it never happened when she was on her own. Clearly I just looked so out of place in my leather, boots and resting bitch face that they thought I was likely to steal something.

By *opetop4UMan
over a year ago

Aberdeen

I wouldn't be happy if it happened to me.

It makes me think that I'll always ask for a receipt now.

I used to feel a bit uncomfortable when I was using an Asda shopping bag in Tesco and vice versa, but recently I used a Lidl bag in Lidl and the checkout operator was suspicious about me saying it was an old one and not one I'd just picked up. Now I find myself crunching up my bags before entering the store so they definitely look like old bags.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

On the one hand they're doing their job.

On the other hand, if Tesco (the bigwigs not the individual workers) want us to do the work of scanning and packing bags so they can employ less people, they should trust us to do it. If they don't trust us, maybe employ more staff?

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"What does someone that steals plastic bags look like?"

I've seen all kinds of people pick up a bag and pack after they've paid.

I'm not a grass though, so I didn't sat anything.

I usually take my own bags to the express tesco, and always get a receipt.

Fuck the trees!!

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I would be pissed off if I were stopped and missed my bus.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

This sort of nonsense doesn't happen at Fortnum & Mason. I always request a receipt in any case.

By *amantha TSWoman
over a year ago

Swindon

"many supermarkets are now installing barriers which need a till barcode receipt to open them so you can exit.

"

Found this out last week. Stopped off in a Carrefour in Belgium, used the self service tills to avoid any language issues. Barged through the gate not realising how it worked and got a mouthful of abuse in French from the store staff! When the couple behind me went through I was like "aaaaah - sorry....."

over a year ago

I trhink bags paying on not paying is wrong n stupid .

If u stick it in your pockets and under jacket down the trousers etc

U actually saving the planet .

Is not shop lifting

Is eco system protection activity

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I think it is reasonable to be asked for proof of purchase when leaving a shop.

Moral of the story, get a receipt.

By *estLondonDeepMan
over a year ago

London

I bought some steak in Tesco once which set off their alarms. I had the receipt, but was frogmarched the length of the store to reconcile everything in the bag was accounted for. It was.

I complained to head office, received a voucher (which I gave to someone who could benefit from it) and from that day, all the staff were overly friendly with me.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

As ive worked security before

They would have got a few things thrown at them.

Whilst it is there job to check suspected people its not good to stop legit members of the public.

now id have asked for the manager to be present.

now the fun starts as im legit as ive done nothing wrong.

id let them check and also check there cctv.

its at this point id throw the inconveniance of the stop at the manager and also his security into question.

self service is supposed to have security watching at all times there

yes its a hard job more so when its a multi self serve.

if it hasnt its a store failure

id also throw in id expect compensation from the store for wrongful stop and also poor security at the self serve.

they may say sorry but its not enough for the stores failures

over a year ago

Now certain shops have barriers that barricade you when u need a receipt to get out .

When I been teaching my daughter since she was little , that print the ticket when we don’t need it is bad cause u need kill trees to make the paper .

By age of 5 she understood better then them .

She likes the receipts cause is her recepies to play in her kitchen set .

Not that she really uses them . But slowly with respect to trees she lost interest .

And we used other boring papers like useles instructions in products as her recepie or boring letters for the grown ups with loads of letters

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

Loads of people help themselves to carrier bags at the end of the till when you are not looking. It would be better if they were not so accessible, then you couldn't help yourself and you couldn't be accused. The vast majority of the price of a carrier bag goes to charity usually, so charities lose out. With Tesco, 2 or 3p is deducted by Tesco for the cost of recycling the plastic to produce them, the cost of transportation etc, the rest goes to their chosen charities.

over a year ago

She will always remember “ all daddy does is give me rubbish toys since I was little ha h aha

over a year ago

Good job you paid for it, imagine the beatdown if you hadn't, possibly even shot you!!!

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

They are just doing their job you'd be surprised how low some people would go even for a carrier bag

I've witnessed this and the guy had the cheek to say he thought they were free

over a year ago

"I think it is reasonable to be asked for proof of purchase when leaving a shop.

Moral of the story, get a receipt. "

Ok . But if they have them control pads u do your own shopping list

Why not develope an app and u do a digital receipt with them square codes on screen ?

Instead of print paper .

I don’t remember the last time I went to library n print anything .

Maybe in 2016 ?

over a year ago

30p for a bag, that's robbery.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"They are just doing their job you'd be surprised how low some people would go even for a carrier bag

I've witnessed this and the guy had the cheek to say he thought they were free "

When I worked there there was a bloke ranting about the cost if them, he didn't mind when they were 5p. He whinged all through the transaction, admitting he had a car boot full of them but too lazy to go and get them

over a year ago

"I think it is reasonable to be asked for proof of purchase when leaving a shop.

Moral of the story, get a receipt.

Ok . But if they have them control pads u do your own shopping list

Why not develope an app and u do a digital receipt with them square codes on screen ?

Instead of print paper .

I don’t remember the last time I went to library n print anything .

Maybe in 2016 ? "

Some people don’t have hold or access to technology . Well save the print paper for them .

Would be a total cut but would cut a lot down …

Bags , I have my own . Out with no bags I buy what I can grab n I’m out .

99% is what I can grab out x. Dinner n few bits for take to works : bread n etc …

I use the empty card boxes the shop staff pile up in cages

Aldi is good for it . I haven’t grabbed a shopping bag for long time

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"30p for a bag, that's robbery."

Majority goes to charity.

By *BusterflapsMan
over a year ago

Scotland

Been boycotting tesco since they made their deals clubcard holders only

over a year ago

"30p for a bag, that's robbery.

Majority goes to charity."

Robbery correct - is stupid .

Charity if is real , very pretty .

Stil not right . Can’t support a charity killing the planet

Is very hard to eat food with out causing stupid ammount of waste .

Is a joke .

A little crisp , cames inside a little bag , inside a bigger bag , that arrives inside a box wrapped with loads of film in a pallet . Is endless …

But how else to do ?

By *uietguy689Man
over a year ago

Abingdon

I always use the self service checkouts and always ask for a receipt for this reason, but last time I was in Tesco I completed my purchase and the till screen said 'receipts are not available from this machine' (or words to that effect). Not having a clubcard I wonder how easy it would be for me to prove I'd paid in the OPs position?

By *hors fantasyCouple
over a year ago

Blackpool

I won’t use self service for that reason, I have not been trained to use the tills but they get all upset if I miss something in my basket

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

I would have politely declined his offer to go back into the shop and walked away telling him that if he suspects a crime to call the police.

By *BusterflapsMan
over a year ago

Scotland

"I always use the self service checkouts and always ask for a receipt for this reason, but last time I was in Tesco I completed my purchase and the till screen said 'receipts are not available from this machine' (or words to that effect). Not having a clubcard I wonder how easy it would be for me to prove I'd paid in the OPs position? "

Every transaction is logged, with or without a clubcard

By *londebiguyMan
over a year ago

Southport

I often don't pay for a bag.

I am rather wild like that

By *londebiguyMan
over a year ago

Southport

I would always try to avoid self service where possible.

They do not pay me to work for them.

By *owestoft ManMan
over a year ago

Lowestoft

"They have a shit job and id cut them some slack - it’s a lottery - it will happen to all of us at some point and as long as they were polite - I wouldn’t have an issue … or possibly say ‘a 30p bag?’ Jeez i thought it was the 42 inch tv under my jacket!! "

LOL Thats what I would have done LOL

Sadly this will happen. I blame those who do steal and warrant the Security taking precautions.

I cant mention where this happened but many years ago doing a contract commissioning job, there were many bringing in the good old Floppy and Stiffy disks and playing games on the work computers. This, as you can imagine, caused a hell of problem with Viruses. The company even set up a desk where anyone could come in and get their Disks Virus Checked and have a Sticker put on them to say Virus checked. But still had many by pass this and Viruses were still shutting the system down for hours at a time.

This lead to the Security having to stop people leaving and search them for these disks and if they found one and no Sticker that person lost their jobs. Fair I think. But because I was on the computers a lot I also had the good old Disk Head Cleaner disk and used it a lot and always carried it with me in my Briefcase.

The one night I went out through security and got stopped. Their was two security guys doing the checking. When they pulled the Head Cleaner disk out and saw no sticker they became very awkward. The one turned and walked away and the other kept saying over and over again to himself with me hearing him, saying two disks with stickers and one disk with no sticker. You could hear how awkward the poor guy was feeling, as he now would have to take my security pass off me. So I let him down easily and said Ahhhh mate don't worry thats a head cleaner not a floppy disk... Wow the atmosphere changed straight away and they both laughed and said sorry lol. They probably didn't even know what a head cleaner was but they were certainly happy to accept what I said lol.

Security people are just doing their jobs and its not a nice job at the best of times so I always give them slack. And sometimes good fun Flack lol

By *owestoft ManMan
over a year ago

Lowestoft

Wow Sorry that was a long reply lol

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Unless the law has changed you cannot be stopped inside the shop even if you have goods under your jacket.

They need to wait for you to leave the store and what is more they need to have seen you lift something and go out of the store without paying.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

If I was asked if I had a receipt , I would say no and leave the store.

If they asked me to go back to the store I'd ask them why.

If they accused me of stealing i'd take them to court.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"If I was asked if I had a receipt , I would say no and leave the store.

If they asked me to go back to the store I'd ask them why.

If they accused me of stealing i'd take them to court.

"

It would be a brave security guard to take you on

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Loads of people help themselves to carrier bags at the end of the till when you are not looking. It would be better if they were not so accessible, then you couldn't help yourself and you couldn't be accused. The vast majority of the price of a carrier bag goes to charity usually, so charities lose out. With Tesco, 2 or 3p is deducted by Tesco for the cost of recycling the plastic to produce them, the cost of transportation etc, the rest goes to their chosen charities."

Sorry to say plastic bags Do Not get recycled.

and any company that says they do is lieing

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"Loads of people help themselves to carrier bags at the end of the till when you are not looking. It would be better if they were not so accessible, then you couldn't help yourself and you couldn't be accused. The vast majority of the price of a carrier bag goes to charity usually, so charities lose out. With Tesco, 2 or 3p is deducted by Tesco for the cost of recycling the plastic to produce them, the cost of transportation etc, the rest goes to their chosen charities.

and any company that says they do is lieing"

Tesco recycle donated plastic wrappings which are left in a cage by the front door (including used carrier bags), and all the stuff that are wrapped around deliveries.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Loads of people help themselves to carrier bags at the end of the till when you are not looking. It would be better if they were not so accessible, then you couldn't help yourself and you couldn't be accused. The vast majority of the price of a carrier bag goes to charity usually, so charities lose out. With Tesco, 2 or 3p is deducted by Tesco for the cost of recycling the plastic to produce them, the cost of transportation etc, the rest goes to their chosen charities.

and any company that says they do is lieing"

There are bags that can be recycled in the soft plastics section

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

I think you should have told them to check you pockets for the three fingered discount banana.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'd be miffed. More at the people who do pinch carrier bags and other stuff making it necessary for a company that pays it's shareholders good dividends to employ security guards to stop me (a regular contributor to their profits) in case I'd defrauded them of 30p.

It's all good though because Joe Lycett told me my club card had been accepted

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Also if they're going to ask me to produce a receipt they need to stop asking me if I want them to produce one one at the self service till and just print the damn thing

over a year ago

I think they have locking trollies going through the barriers too that are giving everyone whiplash according to my local facebook page

By *usie pTV/TS
over a year ago

taunton

I will deffo make sure I take my own bag from now on if the money you buy one with is mainly going to charity, most of those charities are run by con merchants who keep most of what's collected for them selves.

By *oo..Woman
over a year ago

Boo's World

I went to tesco fuel station not long ago.

Filled my car up with about £70 worth of fuel, had to go inside to pay as the pay at pump option wasn't working that day.

Got all the way to the front to pay and the lady behind the counter asked to see my ID first before she would allow me to pay for the fuel!

Not sure what she would have done if I wasn't old enough as my car already had the fuel in it!!

Made me laugh at the time, as I'm 42 years old ffs!!

By *ansoffateMan
over a year ago

Sagittarius A

The do I look like the sort of person comment would have made me laugh as I walked by, thanks for keeping the security guard busy

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"I went to tesco fuel station not long ago.

Filled my car up with about £70 worth of fuel, had to go inside to pay as the pay at pump option wasn't working that day.

Got all the way to the front to pay and the lady behind the counter asked to see my ID first before she would allow me to pay for the fuel!

Not sure what she would have done if I wasn't old enough as my car already had the fuel in it!!

Made me laugh at the time, as I'm 42 years old ffs!!

"

They would have been fucked if it was me, I don’t think I have ever carried ID with me.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"They are just doing their job you'd be surprised how low some people would go even for a carrier bag

I've witnessed this and the guy had the cheek to say he thought they were free

When I worked there there was a bloke ranting about the cost if them, he didn't mind when they were 5p. He whinged all through the transaction, admitting he had a car boot full of them but too lazy to go and get them "

Plus they are reusable should they get a hole you can receive a replacement bag for life I paid 50p can't exactly buy any chocolate at that price

over a year ago

I would not like it, especially if I have to go somewhere and I'm running late. Though at the end of the day, they're doing their job x

over a year ago

I don’t know whether Tesco employ their own security staff or have sub contractors but my local lot are more kitted up than Plod. Not quite sure what they are expecting?

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"I don’t know whether Tesco employ their own security staff or have sub contractors but my local lot are more kitted up than Plod. Not quite sure what they are expecting?"

Have you not seen the latest trend in youngsters going into the store and helping themselves to whatever they like and leaving without paying?

There is also a trend of supermarket grazing where they go in and eat whatever they like and leave.

over a year ago

"I don’t know whether Tesco employ their own security staff or have sub contractors but my local lot are more kitted up than Plod. Not quite sure what they are expecting?

Have you not seen the latest trend in youngsters going into the store and helping themselves to whatever they like and leaving without paying?

There is also a trend of supermarket grazing where they go in and eat whatever they like and leave."

No, I’ve never seen any trouble there in the 5 years I’ve been using it..

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"I don’t know whether Tesco employ their own security staff or have sub contractors but my local lot are more kitted up than Plod. Not quite sure what they are expecting?

There is also a trend of supermarket grazing where they go in and eat whatever they like and leave.

No, I’ve never seen any trouble there in the 5 years I’ve been using it.."

Our local Asda is like a free for all!

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Tesco, 2 or 3p is deducted by Tesco for the cost of recycling the plastic to produce them, the cost of transportation etc, the rest goes to their chosen charities.

and any company that says they do is lieing

Tesco recycle donated plastic wrappings which are left in a cage by the front door (including used carrier bags), and all the stuff that are wrapped around deliveries."

none of that is recycled its burnt

the dirty truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7kXsw_Yeqk

By *onticusMan
over a year ago

Greater London

Often pass through TE and most of the security guys are not present, they get a minimum wage to be on their feet for 12+ hours, and they’re usually on their phones watching stuff of conversing. Seen people walking in picking stuff and leaving a lot in London. Sainsbury’s and Waitrose security are a friendly and helpful bunch, and fairly vigilant don’t have other shops round me… This is not an advert.

over a year ago

Wow, they were keen!

I'd be a bit irritated, but would stay chilled

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

our tesco had a security guard but got rid of them awhile a go as it was a waste of time

over a year ago

Set up a bag stall outside tesco selling them for 25p.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/05/23 22:43:53]

over a year ago

"As an ex store setective with 20 yeqrs of experience and with over 1400 successful stops for shoplifting for Tss (the company that provides security for tescos) and a trainer for them.

No security guard or store detective can stop you unless the have seen A.S.C.O.N.E

A- APPROACH THE ITEM

S- Selected the item

O - had continuous observation on you

N- No pay (walked past the very last piint of paymeny)

E - exited the store completely. If this has not been followed it is classed as wrongfull stop and you could actually sue them."

Does this only apply to scones or are all baked goods included?

over a year ago

As an ex store setective with 20 yeqrs of experience and with over 1400 successful stops for shoplifting for Tss (the company that provides security for tescos) and a trainer for them.

No security guard or store detective can stop you unless the have seen A.S.C.O.N.E

A- APPROACH THE ITEM

S- Selected the item

C-conealed they must see you conceal the item

E - exited the store completely. If this has not been followed it is classed as wrongfull stop and you could actually sue them.

over a year ago

"As an ex store setective with 20 yeqrs of experience and with over 1400 successful stops for shoplifting for Tss (the company that provides security for tescos) and a trainer for them.

A- APPROACH THE ITEM

S- Selected the item

E - exited the store completely. If this has not been followed it is classed as wrongfull stop and you could actually sue them.

Does this only apply to scones or are all baked goods included?"

oh yes

Post new Message to Thread