Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sertraline

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I’ve just been prescribed Sertraline recently I want some feedback on this medication

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Took about 2 weeks for me to settle with it.

Seemed to work for me after that

over a year ago

Keeps me sane

A bit flatter than I’d like but stable. I’m an adhd kid so the sedative side of it keeps me a bit more chilled than I’d normally be

By *imon_hydeMan
over a year ago

Stockport

It works well but takes time to take effect, stick with it.

By *iss DevilWoman
over a year ago

Bedford

My partner was on it, it seemed to work for him for his depression, but was causing ED so he changed to a different drug (don't remember the name) until eventually stopping them all together.

By *he AmbassadorMan
over a year ago

IRLANDA. / Prague. / Cil Dara

"Keeps me sane

A bit flatter than I’d like but stable. I’m an adhd kid so the sedative side of it keeps me a bit more chilled than I’d normally be "

is this a generic of Ritalin??

By *elliflousCouple
over a year ago

North West.

Had to come off it because of the side effects - nothing scary, just bloody annoying and restricting. Mind you none of them seem to fully agree with me!

over a year ago

Didn't work for me ,brought me out in hives

over a year ago

Not all antidepressants suit everyone and everyone will find it works differently.

I was prescribed it for PND it was either have them or I think I would have done something silly. The first 2 weeks were hell. But then they started working. I did find that everything had a dullness to it. I couldn't get excited by anything but then I wasn't finding anything good before. They helped me through a sticky patch. I came off them too soon and had to restart them again but I've now been free of medication since OCT 22 and although I have down days I don't feel the need for them now

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Works for many people. Didn't work for me. Two weeks of projectile vomiting.

It's best used as an adjunct to other psychological care or self help. I think of my anti depressants as a safety net - if I fall, I don't go splat, I just hurt myself a little.

over a year ago

Changed my life for the better.

over a year ago

"Keeps me sane

A bit flatter than I’d like but stable. I’m an adhd kid so the sedative side of it keeps me a bit more chilled than I’d normally be is this a generic of Ritalin?? "

Ritalin is a stimulant used for adhd, sertraline is an antidepressant used for low mood and anxiety.

By *uicy 2020Woman
over a year ago

London

Its what Im on currently, mostly doing the job, but I need to do some of the work myself too. No side effects for me x

over a year ago

"Keeps me sane

A bit flatter than I’d like but stable. I’m an adhd kid so the sedative side of it keeps me a bit more chilled than I’d normally be is this a generic of Ritalin?? "

No, sertraline is an ssri antidepressant, one of the side effects is tiredness which works in a sedative way for me

over a year ago

"Keeps me sane

A bit flatter than I’d like but stable. I’m an adhd kid so the sedative side of it keeps me a bit more chilled than I’d normally be is this a generic of Ritalin??

Ritalin is a stimulant used for adhd, sertraline is an antidepressant used for low mood and anxiety."

Yeah I know what it is, I’ve been on it 5 years lol I have it for anxiety and one of the side effects being tiredness works well for me

By *ansoffateMan
over a year ago

Sagittarius A

Family member has been on it for 2 years. Helped her massively.

By *iasubTV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

For me for the first few months it was great but then made my mood incredibly flat not happy or sad could feel much at all. It really effected my sex drive as well. I had to stop taking it because i just couldn’t feel anything emotionally

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

My ex-wife was on it. Killed her sex drive stone dead.

over a year ago

I'm on them everyone says I'm a different person since I started taking them alot more tame and calm it has help with my anger and anxiety

over a year ago

Had it years ago, took it for a month and decided to pull myself off it, probably the best thing I did but after a couple of weeks it did help with the deep lows, just left me feeling numb, divorce sorted the root cause. Good luck OP.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"My partner was on it, it seemed to work for him for his depression, but was causing ED so he changed to a different drug (don't remember the name) until eventually stopping them all together. "
most of depression pills cause problems down there why is that one wonders

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

took a while to kick in,

wasn't keen on the side effects (made me a bit too sedate to be creative)

tried others to similar result

worth seeing how it goes for you, all the best. x

over a year ago

Didn’t work for me at all

By *ruskJokerMan
over a year ago

Royston

My partner was on them when we met. He’s a big guy (6’3 quite broad). So he was on a large dose. Everyone is different but from experience it didn’t kill his sex drive but did give him problems finishing. It gave him some terrible side effects with sleeping and stomach acid. But they definitely made sure he had more good days than bad. And you could see the better person he was for having them compared to if he went a day or two where he forgot to get them or didn’t get his prescription refilled in time.

By *he AmbassadorMan
over a year ago

IRLANDA. / Prague. / Cil Dara

"Keeps me sane

A bit flatter than I’d like but stable. I’m an adhd kid so the sedative side of it keeps me a bit more chilled than I’d normally be is this a generic of Ritalin??

Ritalin is a stimulant used for adhd, sertraline is an antidepressant used for low mood and anxiety."

over a year ago

Made everything worse for me. Left me emotionless and unable to sleep due to horrific restless leg. Coming off it was hell too, like getting an electric shock to the brain every few minutes.

MrWho.

By *egoMan
over a year ago

Preston

Sounds identical to citalopam.

Which I’ve just got. I’ve had it before.

Flatlines my thought processes, I’m content that way a robot as I like to be.

However interesting side effect. I could sex, but never cum.

By *ilfCrumpet9Man
over a year ago

Wirral

Helps with my depression and anxiety. Try not to miss taking it

over a year ago

"My partner was on them when we met. He’s a big guy (6’3 quite broad). So he was on a large dose. Everyone is different but from experience it didn’t kill his sex drive but did give him problems finishing. It gave him some terrible side effects with sleeping and stomach acid. But they definitely made sure he had more good days than bad. And you could see the better person he was for having them compared to if he went a day or two where he forgot to get them or didn’t get his prescription refilled in time."

Very much like me, im over 6ft2 17st, im on 200mg, if i forget a day its ok, more than 2 days and it shows. Intolerant, angry, mood swings.

No problem getting it up, but yes actually finishing is a mission.

It doesn't mess with my emotions like some say. Infact i cry everyday.

I missed a script a couple times, last time i went 3 weeks cold turkey and felt i was loosing my mind, really unwell, brain zaps, suicidal thoughts.

The brain is hell of a tool, but when it goes wrong it traps you, makes you a hostage in your own body.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Sounds identical to citalopam.

Which I’ve just got. I’ve had it before.

Flatlines my thought processes, I’m content that way a robot as I like to be.

However interesting side effect. I could sex, but never cum. "

Citalopram and sertraline are both first line SSRIs

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple
over a year ago

Southampton

"I’ve just been prescribed Sertraline recently I want some feedback on this medication "

I've been on it for three years and have found it very helpful especially for my anxiety, thankfully the only real side effects I had when I first started on it was constant yawning

over a year ago

"I’ve just been prescribed Sertraline recently I want some feedback on this medication "

It didn't suit me in the end, but as others have said lots of people have different experiences on it. Citalopram was what I settled on in the end, and while it was OK for for me, it made someone I know suicidal. So give the sertraline a go for a few weeks and see how you get on. If the side effects aren't settling don't be afraid to go back to the doc and ask to change to something else.

Mrs

By *3xDECouple
over a year ago

nottingham

I was prescribed it and was hit with every side effect I was warned of and read in the information in the box. I went three days and decided I couldn’t carry it on for a couple of weeks as I had to ensure I was able to carry out my usual daily task’s.

I was later diagnosed as ADHD and am now on Elvanse which is a very different medication but have found it’s helped in the ways I needed it too x

By *Jblue321Man
over a year ago

Chester

Worked wonders for me, took about two weeks to settle and get rid of little side effects but then all good just be consistent, make it part of your routine

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

A musician friend of mine wrote a song about Sertraline after he was prescribed it. The chorus goes:

Oh Sertraline, you work unseen

You lift my mind, from where its been

Don't need cocaine, or nicotine

Just a gram or two, of Sertraline

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I'm on citalpim been on it for many years

Just had my prescription changed to a higher dose along with my anti psychotic medication

.It keeps me.out of hospital but does have.its side affects

over a year ago

Citalopram is the only pill that works for me,I've been on it years now

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple
over a year ago

Southampton

"A musician friend of mine wrote a song about Sertraline after he was prescribed it. The chorus goes:

Just a gram or two, of Sertraline"

A gram of sertraline and you'd probably be wondering into serotonin syndrome territory... milligrams is the correct dose lol

By *inkerbell67Woman
over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

I cannot take it ,im on Dulxitine which really suits me but if I forget it I feel sick and have brain zaps ..

By *os_GoddessofdawnWoman
over a year ago

In the clouds

I like it. Been on it for years...

over a year ago

"A musician friend of mine wrote a song about Sertraline after he was prescribed it. The chorus goes:

Just a gram or two, of Sertraline"

Sertraline and a sip of s?rotonin

Don't cry 'cause there's a pill for everything

Take this one, wash it down and you'll be fine

The feeling goes and you draw a chalk outline

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"For me for the first few months it was great but then made my mood incredibly flat not happy or sad could feel much at all. It really effected my sex drive as well. I had to stop taking it because i just couldn’t feel anything emotionally

"

This. You don't really feel much about anything. I honestly wouldn't recommend it.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

All the above comments. I would say though that if you can, use the anti-deps as a tool to help you through the problems, don't let the anti-deps use you. If you know what I mean. By themselves the pills are not the solution, but they can give you the support that you need to work through underlying causes. I guess it's all about balance and the balance will be different for everyone.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Was on it for a few months it took the PTSD away but also made me feel like a zombie. I hated what it did to my sex drive as well.

Came off cold turkey. Do not do this was a bad idea.

over a year ago

"All the above comments. I would say though that if you can, use the anti-deps as a tool to help you through the problems, don't let the anti-deps use you. If you know what I mean. By themselves the pills are not the solution, but they can give you the support that you need to work through underlying causes. I guess it's all about balance and the balance will be different for everyone."

Deffo this, i had 30 min sessions with a Mind councillor for a few weeks, it really really helped me. Use all the tools offered to you. Some will work, some may not, but do try them.

By *ittleMissFozzieWoman
over a year ago

Plymouth

Been on it for around 12 years. I can certainly tell if I miss a day or 2, most of the time I'm on a fairly low dose but I've learnt the early symptoms of a bad spell and the docs are happy for me to self manage the dosage.

It does numb the extreme feelings (good and bad) but given a choice of that or not being here, I know which I choose!

over a year ago

"Keeps me sane

Ritalin is a stimulant used for adhd, sertraline is an antidepressant used for low mood and anxiety.

Yeah I know what it is, I’ve been on it 5 years lol I have it for anxiety and one of the side effects being tiredness works well for me "

Wasnt a reply to you was the person asking if sertraline was a generic of ritalin

By *teveuk77Man
over a year ago

uk

Been on it for about 8 weeks. Definitely calmed me down and helped my mood. Only downside is that I haven't slept a full night since. Waking up between 2 and 4 every night but have no issue getting back to sleep. Always wake up with an erection so it's not affecting me down there!

Post new Message to Thread