Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

John Williams vs Hans Zimmer

Jump to newest

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

Given it’s Star Wars day I’ll be giving a lot of time to the genius that is John Williams, but I’ve never been able to decide who I prefer between him and Hans.

Anyone have a preference? Any other you think rival the pair of maestros when it comes to film scores?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

It's a really tough call, but John Williams gets my vote.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

That's tough but I'd go for John Williams.

I also rate Danny Elfman and Ennio Morricone very highly

By *educing_EmCouple
over a year ago

Tipperary

Has to be Hans Zimmer for me,the gladiator soundtrack sends shivers down my spine every time

Em x

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

"That's tough but I'd go for John Williams.

I also rate Danny Elfman and Ennio Morricone very highly "

Morricone.. another excellent choice.

over a year ago

Hans Zimmer Worked on inception and a few other masterpieces

By *viatrixWoman
over a year ago

Redhill

I adore threads like this.

My vote goes to John Williams!

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Both great composers, but my favourite film composer has to be Basil Poledouris.

Conan the Barbarian. Greatest symphonic film soundtrack ever made. Period.

By *assy69Man
over a year ago

West Sussex and Wales

Can I throw the name Atli Orvarsson (probably spelt it wrong!! ) I enjoy his soundtracks very much

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

I also rate Danny Elfman and Ennio Morricone very highly "

Completely forgot about Morricone! How badass is Good the Bad and the Ugly!?

By *ello HarveyMan
over a year ago

Lots of places

Similar roles, 2 extremely different composers.

Personally I prefer Zimmer

Williams is great at composing master pieces of music and let’s face it an icon.

Zimmer, yes composes great stuff, but it’s how he scores the music to the film that gets me. The personal and emotional level.

But again this is from 2 very different eras of film making so impossible to compare side by side.

In a nutshell

Williams - here write music for this movie

Zimmer - Here’s the movie, watch it and fill in the blanks with music

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

"Hans Zimmer Worked on inception and a few other masterpieces "

Interstellar too which for me is the greatest score of all time!

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

"I adore threads like this.

My vote goes to John Williams! "

Can’t beat a good nerdgasm!

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

I also rate Danny Elfman and Ennio Morricone very highly

Completely forgot about Morricone! How badass is Good the Bad and the Ugly!?"

Totally!

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

"Similar roles, 2 extremely different composers.

Williams is great at composing master pieces of music and let’s face it an icon.

Zimmer, yes composes great stuff, but it’s how he scores the music to the film that gets me. The personal and emotional level.

But again this is from 2 very different eras of film making so impossible to compare side by side.

In a nutshell

Zimmer - Here’s the movie, watch it and fill in the blanks with music"

Ooo I like this.

I do think Williams is the same though. Have a watch of Phantom Menace with & without the score to see how huge it is! Duel of the Fates is a masterpiece and completely makes the film.

Have to geek out on the fact he translated an old Welsh poem 3 times just to get the chorus!

KORAH MATAH KORAH RAHTAHMAHHHHHH!

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

Ooo another I’d forgotten, the Liverpool legend himself John Murphy.

In the House In a Heartbeat is perfection!

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man
over a year ago

Stourbridge

I instantly said Williams and Morricone , I remember the Spaghetti Westerns, my dad’s favourite movies, the Good the bad and the Ugly is iconic

By *ello HarveyMan
over a year ago

Lots of places

In a nutshell

Ooo I like this.

I do think Williams is the same though. Have a watch of Phantom Menace with & without the score to see how huge it is! Duel of the Fates is a masterpiece and completely makes the film.

Have to geek out on the fact he translated an old Welsh poem 3 times just to get the chorus!

"

Absolutely, Williams has his moments of engaging scores, I was just trying to sum up the reveal difference between the 2 master of film music ( can you tell I geek out on this kind of thing lol ).

For me the soundtrack and score is almost more important than the acting. So many people are unaware of the power of the sound track as often it is so well done they don’t even notice it

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

In a nutshell

Ooo I like this.

Absolutely, Williams has his moments of engaging scores, I was just trying to sum up the reveal difference between the 2 master of film music ( can you tell I geek out on this kind of thing lol ).

For me the soundtrack and score is almost more important than the acting. So many people are unaware of the power of the sound track as often it is so well done they don’t even notice it "

Completely agree mate.

I’m one of those people that if it’s a powerful score it’ll make me cry. Love the emotions a beautiful piece of music add to a good film.

By *ello HarveyMan
over a year ago

Lots of places

In a nutshell

Ooo I like this.

For me the soundtrack and score is almost more important than the acting. So many people are unaware of the power of the sound track as often it is so well done they don’t even notice it

Completely agree mate.

I’m one of those people that if it’s a powerful score it’ll make me cry. Love the emotions a beautiful piece of music add to a good film. "

100%

a movie with a bad soundtrack is like a meet with no talking / banter. Yeah it does what it says on the tin but could be so much better with

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

"

Completely agree mate.

I’m one of those people that if it’s a powerful score it’ll make me cry. Love the emotions a beautiful piece of music add to a good film.

100%

a movie with a bad soundtrack is like a meet with no talking / banter. Yeah it does what it says on the tin but could be so much better with "

Imagine Interstellar without Hans, it would be fucking awful!

By *allum29Man
over a year ago

Banbury

It's hard to pick a favourite between some of the composers named. I was given tickets to star wars at the Royal Albert Hall which I'm so excited for.

Film music is often overlooked which is such a shame

By *ello HarveyMan
over a year ago

Lots of places

"

Completely agree mate.

100%

a movie with a bad soundtrack is like a meet with no talking / banter. Yeah it does what it says on the tin but could be so much better with

Imagine Interstellar without Hans, it would be fucking awful! "

Where as 2001, well……

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

"

Completely agree mate.

100%

Where as 2001, well……"

I consider myself a bit of a film geek, but have to admit I’ve never watched it all the way through!?!

Full Metal Jacket & Clockwork Orange aside I’m not a huge Kubrick fan…

Never watched The Shining either………

over a year ago

"Hans Zimmer Worked on inception and a few other masterpieces

Interstellar too which for me is the greatest score of all time! "

Yup. That’s the one I was thinking of. Couldn’t think of the name without explaining the plot and giving spoilers

over a year ago

I do like some of what Hans Zimmer has done - the Interstella soundtrack for example, and the whole process that he and the director went through on it - but John Williams gets my vote. The man is a legend.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Jerry Goldsmith and John Barry were both amazing also

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

It’s a good drinking game.

Make a playlist of Williams and Zimmer film themes. Stick it on shuffle. See who can guess which composer as each tune comes on. Drink for the losers.

By *ello HarveyMan
over a year ago

Lots of places

"

Completely agree mate.

100%

Where as 2001, well……

I consider myself a bit of a film geek, but have to admit I’ve never watched it all the way through!?!

Full Metal Jacket & Clockwork Orange aside I’m not a huge Kubrick fan…

Never watched The Shining either……… "

I can understand and respect that. He’s a slow intense story teller for sure and not everyone’s cup of tea

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

John Williams for me

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

John Williams

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

Zimmer is brilliant but Williams pips it for me. Imagine Jaws without the score and iconic music. Wouldn't be half as scary.

J

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

"Zimmer is brilliant but Williams pips it for me. Imagine Jaws without the score and iconic music. Wouldn't be half as scary.

J"

Any of the films he’s done wouldn’t be half as good imo. Modern day Mozart.

By *endricks321Couple
over a year ago

Oxfordshire

Zimmer tops it for me not least because John Williams stole such a lot of thematic material from Gustav Holst.

I love soundtracks. Max Richter has a special place in my heart.

James Horner, Danny Elfman and Alan Silvestri are also great!

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

"Zimmer tops it for me not least because John Williams stole such a lot of thematic material from Gustav Holst.

James Horner, Danny Elfman and Alan Silvestri are also great!"

Never knew that about John!

Can’t say I know too much about Max, only that he done Hostiles and that was awesome, decent film too.

By *uri00620Woman
over a year ago

Croydon

"Zimmer is brilliant but Williams pips it for me. Imagine Jaws without the score and iconic music. Wouldn't be half as scary.

J

Any of the films he’s done wouldn’t be half as good imo. Modern day Mozart."

Yes, tough call but Spielberg for me too. Jurassic Park, fantastic.

Do like others that have been mentioned plus Michael Nyman. Spent hours as a teenager practicing the score from The Piano'.... never did play it well though! That's a beautiful soundtrack.

By *endricks321Couple
over a year ago

Oxfordshire

"Zimmer tops it for me not least because John Williams stole such a lot of thematic material from Gustav Holst.

Can’t say I know too much about Max, only that he done Hostiles and that was awesome, decent film too. "

Did you watch The Last of Us? The end of episode 3 featured singer of Max R.

By *endricks321Couple
over a year ago

Oxfordshire

Can’t say I know too much about Max, only that he done Hostiles and that was awesome, decent film too. "

Some not singer!

By *endricks321Couple
over a year ago

Oxfordshire

J

Do like others that have been mentioned plus Michael Nyman. Spent hours as a teenager practicing the score from The Piano'.... never did play it well though! That's a beautiful soundtrack."

I had forgotten about Michael Nyman. Music from The Cook The Thief The Wife and his lover was amazing!!

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

Can’t say I know too much about Max, only that he done Hostiles and that was awesome, decent film too.

Did you watch The Last of Us? The end of episode 3 featured singer of Max R."

I haven’t, but thanks for reminding me to get started.

By *nkyCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Northampton

J

Do like others that have been mentioned plus Michael Nyman. Spent hours as a teenager practicing the score from The Piano'.... never did play it well though! That's a beautiful soundtrack."

I’m actually stumped as no idea who Michael Nyman is!? Massively outgeeked me and am off to Spotify now.

By *iggy5Man
over a year ago

Northamptonshire

Without hesitation, Williams for me. So many iconic scores.

Huge Elfman fan, early Burton period moreso than later works.

Similarly, a huge Thomas Newman fan.

But so many great composers already mentioned, Horner, Silvestri, Jerry Goldsmith and newer composers, Max Richter, Atticus Ross/Trent Reznor.

By *endricks321Couple
over a year ago

Oxfordshire

"Without hesitation, Williams for me. So many iconic scores.

Huge Elfman fan, early Burton period moreso than later works.

Similarly, a huge Thomas Newman fan.

But so many great composers already mentioned, Horner, Silvestri, Jerry Goldsmith and newer composers, Max Richter, Atticus Ross/Trent Reznor."

Oooh Trent Reznor!!!

By *uri00620Woman
over a year ago

Croydon

J

Do like others that have been mentioned plus Michael Nyman. Spent hours as a teenager practicing the score from The Piano'.... never did play it well though! That's a beautiful soundtrack.

I’m actually stumped as no idea who Michael Nyman is!? Massively outgeeked me and am off to Spotify now. "

Haha, it's very evocative I think. Not one of the big boys of soundtracks but I'd certainly doff my hat to him if I ever met him!

By *llaandGCouple
over a year ago

London

Definitely Zimmer and Richter but my fave are Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Their development from the Fincher movies and then through to really diverse, great soundtracks like Soul and Mank

G

Post new Message to Thread