Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Abroad

Jump to newest

By *agpie and Raven OP   Man
over a year ago

Leicester

I think that folk who go abroad for cheap cosmetic surgery, get it fucked up, and then come home expecting the NHS to fix their unnecessary surgery for free should pay for the corrective surgery. Agree? Disagree?

Frank

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

I'm not sure I know of anyone who has been disappointed in plastic surgery who has then expected the NHS to reapir or fix it.

If doesn't matter where in the world you have cosmetic surgery, if you have it in the UK and you're not happy it's not fixed by the NHS.

(I'm doing a whole host of research for when I have my own cosmetic surgery after my bypass)

By *obilebottomMan
over a year ago

All over

Never crossed my mind to have an opinion on this tbh.

over a year ago

Leicester

"I'm not sure I know of anyone who has been disappointed in plastic surgery who has then expected the NHS to reapir or fix it.

If doesn't matter where in the world you have cosmetic surgery, if you have it in the UK and you're not happy it's not fixed by the NHS.

(I'm doing a whole host of research for when I have my own cosmetic surgery after my bypass)"

Maybe I should've been more precise than saying "fucked up" I mean if the procedure is botched abroad and needs fixing. Should the recipient of said treatment then get it fixed for free on the NHS?

Frank

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I guess it depends on circumstances....for example someone I know lost weight without help of surgery or medication but was then left with so much skin that it creates sores etc and are told they can't have it removed on the NHS because it's classed as cosmetic (when it's clearly not cosmetic and this individual could of had bariactric surgery paid for by the NHS.

Anyway this person paid for treatment abroad which was less than a third of the cost in this country and they did need some further help when they got home with an infected wound. They only sourced the surgery elsewhere because they had no choice and it was affecting their quality of life. So yes the NHS should be available to help with the infected wound.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I disagree.

People do things that end badly all the time.

By *amantha_JadeWoman
over a year ago

Newcastle

I used to work in the cosmetic surgery sector and to my knowledge the the NHS won’t ‘fix’ a bad job, they will only do the absolute minimum so that your health isn’t at risk. For example, in the case of a botched breast enlargement, they wouldn’t replace the implants, do an uplift or correct bad scarring, they would just remove the implant/s. Anything else would have to be arranged and paid for privately.

over a year ago

Leicester

"I disagree.

People do things that end badly all the time. "

Do you mean you disagree that they shouldn't get free treatment on the NHS?

Frank

over a year ago

Leicester

"I used to work in the cosmetic surgery sector and to my knowledge the the NHS won’t ‘fix’ a bad job, they will only do the absolute minimum so that your health isn’t at risk. For example, in the case of a botched breast enlargement, they wouldn’t replace the implants, do an uplift or correct bad scarring, they would just remove the implant/s. Anything else would have to be arranged and paid for privately. "

Oh, OK, if that is fact then my heart is gladden

Frank

By *.L.0460.Woman
over a year ago

Bognor Regis

"I think that folk who go abroad for cheap cosmetic surgery, get it fucked up, and then come home expecting the NHS to fix their unnecessary surgery for free should pay for the corrective surgery. Agree? Disagree?

Frank"

I think you need to have more knowledge about the reasons people go abroad & more compassion for those who have suffered terribly because of post op issues.

Most people who go abroad aren't the Katie Price types...chasing the next tweak to help her career. Many are decent, normal women who feel so bad about how they look, they choose to change it.

Take me, for example. I struggled with being overweight for many years, partly due to low self esteem & depression. I was very lucky to be offered weightloss surgery on the NHS about 17 years ago & eventually lost 10st.

That excess weight destroyed my skin & I genuinely felt worse about my body than when I was big. The skin was uncomfortable, sore in the summer & wasn't going to vanish with excersise.

I saved up & had several skin removal surgeries in Poland & it changed my life.

I had issues with 3 of the 6 procedures I had. 2 were minor infections, no fault of anyone & the 3rd was a mishap. I ripped open a huge amount of stitches simply by forgetting & sitting in the car too quickly.

Each time, the NHS were wonderful. I did feel guilty for having to go to the NHS for help but I was treated with absolutel respect & there was no hint of annoyance that I'd been abroad for my surgeries. As one nurse pointed out, they treat people who do all manner of things to themselves due to poor life choices, extreme sports, reckless driving etc. How was I any less entitled to use their service than anyone else??

I would never generalise about such issues, OP. It's made you sound a little ignorant & heartless, to be honest.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I disagree.

People do things that end badly all the time.

Do you mean you disagree that they shouldn't get free treatment on the NHS?

Frank"

I disagree that they should pay. The NHS treats (rightly in my opinion) smokers, substance abusers, people who take part in dangerous sports etc. If people need help it's given

over a year ago

Leicester

I'll admit I'm having a re-think after the comment about the NHS treating smoking/alcohol related illnesses. I'd already agreed in my head about excessive skin removal. See, I can be swayed

Frank

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I'll admit I'm having a re-think after the comment about the NHS treating smoking/alcohol related illnesses. I'd already agreed in my head about excessive skin removal. See, I can be swayed

Frank"

Nothing wrong with changing your opinion after talking to people. I think it's to be respected

over a year ago

Leicester

"I'll admit I'm having a re-think after the comment about the NHS treating smoking/alcohol related illnesses. I'd already agreed in my head about excessive skin removal. See, I can be swayed

Frank

Nothing wrong with changing your opinion after talking to people. I think it's to be respected "

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Disagree. The NHS must stay universally free at delivery. What some see as optional treatments, of health, mind and body, are important to others.

If there is a major interested problem, governments should be focused on finding solutions.

Post new Message to Thread