Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dodgy Tradespeople

Jump to newest

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

Need a bit of advice. I had a plumbing emergency at the weekend and had to call a emergency plumber. They turned up to do the job, didnt look like they knew what they were doing to be honest as they didnt have the correct tools, and didnt even bring gloves! They had to keep going to get different tools

They didn’t actually fix the issue as they said they couldnt access the manhole for the drains.

They charged me £80 (given though there rate was £150 ph) plus the £125 call out charge. They left more mess than there was to begin with and now without any use.

I told my family and they said I shouldn’t have paid. What would you have done in this situation? I know hindsight is always the hardest but would be good to hear your opinion

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *estarossa.Woman
over a year ago

Flagrante

Were they from an accredited body?

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Where did they go for the extra tools ?

By *adCherriesCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

Where did they leave their horse? You should of asked before they arrived if the call out fee was still payable if they couldn't fix the problem.

I certainly wouldn't of paid the other 80 though and to be honest I probably wouldn't have given them the 125 if they had made a mess and not fixed anything.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It's very easy for other people to tell you you shouldn't have paid but you were in a difficult situation.

You can either call the guy and ask that he returns o do the job properly (good trades will guarantee their work) or put it down to experience and get another plumber out after checking their credentials.

Are you renting? If so your landlord is probably responsible for repairs

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Were they from an accredited body?"

They said they were on checkatrade but apparently it so easy to fake

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Where did they go for the extra tools ?"

Back to there house i belive, i even had to lend them screwdrivers

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I feel for you. The problem is in an emergency you have to do what you have to do.

Put it down to experience.

Make a list of reputable tradespeople for emergency times.

Pay British Gas or similar a monthly amount for cover.. they cover, gas , water, leccy , drains etc ( I don't do this I put the money in a separate account and call them if there is an emergency ) that way I don't spend dead money each year.

They asked you paid. I don't think there is much else you can do about it other than contacting them to let them know that the job hasn't been done satisfactorily. The problem is ... you paid.

You can ask CAB for advice or search online but I don't see anyone chasing this for you to be fair.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Where did they go for the extra tools ?

Back to there house i belive, i even had to lend them screwdrivers "

That was a red flag... you should have just said 'no thanks' and let them go.

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Where did they leave their horse? You should of asked before they arrived if the call out fee was still payable if they couldn't fix the problem.

I certainly wouldn't of paid the other 80 though and to be honest I probably wouldn't have given them the 125 if they had made a mess and not fixed anything."

Looking back i really shouldn’t have but yano when your super stressed and they looked like the type who could get really aggressive and im not gonna lie im not going to stand a chance

They damaged the plaster and paintwork and the room flooded after that i had clean up

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"It's very easy for other people to tell you you shouldn't have paid but you were in a difficult situation.

You can either call the guy and ask that he returns o do the job properly (good trades will guarantee their work) or put it down to experience and get another plumber out after checking their credentials.

Are you renting? If so your landlord is probably responsible for repairs "

I am but it was saturday so the agents were closed and the emergency number given didnt have any availability until tuesday luckily they are sending someone today and looking at reimbursement

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It's very easy for other people to tell you you shouldn't have paid but you were in a difficult situation.

I am but it was saturday so the agents were closed and the emergency number given didnt have any availability until tuesday luckily they are sending someone today and looking at reimbursement "

Hope you get it sorted.

By *adCherriesCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

"Where did they leave their horse? You should of asked before they arrived if the call out fee was still payable if they couldn't fix the problem.

I certainly wouldn't of paid the other 80 though and to be honest I probably wouldn't have given them the 125 if they had made a mess and not fixed anything.

Looking back i really shouldn’t have but yano when your super stressed and they looked like the type who could get really aggressive and im not gonna lie im not going to stand a chance

They damaged the plaster and paintwork and the room flooded after that i had clean up "

Yes unfortunately it sounds like you had the cowboys in and I get that can be intimidating.

As someone else said have a list of good trades people you can call in an emergency. I'd put this one down to experience and next time you wont get stung

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I feel for you. The problem is in an emergency you have to do what you have to do.

Put it down to experience.

Make a list of reputable tradespeople for emergency times.

Pay British Gas or similar a monthly amount for cover.. they cover, gas , water, leccy , drains etc ( I don't do this I put the money in a separate account and call them if there is an emergency ) that way I don't spend dead money each year.

They asked you paid. I don't think there is much else you can do about it other than contacting them to let them know that the job hasn't been done satisfactorily. The problem is ... you paid.

You can ask CAB for advice or search online but I don't see anyone chasing this for you to be fair. "

It should have been. When i told my dad he was shocked as as a family friend is a carpenter who practically build there house. I just felt bad ringing at the weekend.

When i get stressed i dont think and i fell bad this time. It’s definitely a learning curve i think

By *adCherriesCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

I am but it was saturday so the agents were closed and the emergency number given didnt have any availability until tuesday luckily they are sending someone today and looking at reimbursement "

Even better if you're renting, hopefully you'll get your money back

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

They damaged the plaster and paintwork and the room flooded after that i had clean up

Yes unfortunately it sounds like you had the cowboys in and I get that can be intimidating.

As someone else said have a list of good trades people you can call in an emergency. I'd put this one down to experience and next time you wont get stung "

Exactly like looking back now its like why on earth did i use them. But i spoke to a family friend who practically built my mum and dads house by himself and he said he would have come. I just felt bad for calling on a Saturday.

I will definitely do that!

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

I am but it was saturday so the agents were closed and the emergency number given didnt have any availability until tuesday luckily they are sending someone today and looking at reimbursement

Even better if you're renting, hopefully you'll get your money back "

Fingers crossed i do

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I probably would have done the same, subject is checking accreditation. I'd make clear that the work shouldn't leave me in a greater mess and it must be as clean as beforehand.

At least you have the right people sorting it now

By *avinaTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Transsexual Transylvania

I need new contact lenses. I read the thread topic as "Doggy Tradespeople"!

Obsessed!

By *iasub OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I need new contact lenses. I read the thread topic as "Doggy Tradespeople"!

Obsessed! "

That does sound more fun though, i could get behind that idea

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

The object of an emergency tradesperson and the reason why they have expensive call out charges is that they get the job done, he hasn't done the job you shouldn't have paid him

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Ask your landlord for a list of tradespeople he would recommend if something similar happens again, gas , electric, water etc. He may even have some he has a deal with.

By *licecdTV/TS
over a year ago

Hatfield

Where did they park the regulation white Transit pick up with greedy boards in the body ? You’ve been well and truly scammed by caravan utilising nomadic travellers

By *obilebottomMan
over a year ago

All over

Hard enough to find any trades people these days, never mind a good one. Plumbers tell you they are not free till next year, decorators the same and the last emergency plumber I had to use had to pay over the odds but did fix the issue temporarily. Any good trades people put your hand up. I want to compile a list

Post new Message to Thread