Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mate’s wife

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A mate and his wife split up last year (amicably). He’s got a new gf and she is still single and got herself in great shape (why do they wait until after a split).

My real question is, is it safe for me to go for it with her or should I stay clear?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Don't ever break the bro code, it wouldn't be a good move

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Your internet

"A mate and his wife split up last year (amicably). He’s got a new gf and she is still single and got herself in great shape (why do they wait until after a split).

My real question is, is it safe for me to go for it with her or should I stay clear?"

Aside from the unfortunate body shaming comment, I guess it’s up to you. It depends on whether it will affect your friendship with him and how much that matters to you (and him).

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You’re gonna need a good 5-year grace period, buddy. Haha!

over a year ago

"A mate and his wife split up last year (amicably). He’s got a new gf and she is still single and got herself in great shape (why do they wait until after a split).

My real question is, is it safe for me to go for it with her or should I stay clear?"

How do you know she'll go for you? Has there been a conversation about it?

over a year ago

"You’re gonna need a good 5-year grace period, buddy. Haha!"

By *alirepublicMan
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Don't be a cunt

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Why wouldn't it be safe?. Her ex doesn't own her or have any influence over who she sees. He doesn't have any say over who you see either.

I really don't get this at all.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Do men really still think they can say who their ex has a relationship with?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Oh and they wait until after the split because when a relationship is crap it's really hard to look after yourself.

over a year ago

"Don't be a cunt"

Whoa. Bit extreme?

By *weetiepie99Woman
over a year ago

cardiff

"Do men really still think they can say who their ex has a relationship with?"

Thats not the point really. I wouldn't do it with a close friend's ex

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

The moment they split up both are free agents.

over a year ago

"Why wouldn't it be safe?. Her ex doesn't own her or have any influence over who she sees. He doesn't have any say over who you see either.

I really don't get this at all. "

Yeah I agree it shouldn’t be an issue but some people can have unexpected reactions which could make things awkward

By *irkby coupleCouple
over a year ago

Kirkby

She probably waited until after they split to get in shape because she has more spare time to look after herself. It’s easier to make changes.

Or maybe she has a new partner who is into his/her fitness and she has got involved, and you just don’t know about them.

Maybe ask your friend if he minds, the rest of us don’t really care.

over a year ago

She's single, he's moved on, why not.

By *alirepublicMan
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"Don't be a cunt

Whoa. Bit extreme?"

It was a tad bit of sacasm in there too, to me it shows he had intentions when they were together but hey ho, is it really worth losing a close friend over, because everything comes out in the wash lol nevermind.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

"Why wouldn't it be safe?. Her ex doesn't own her or have any influence over who she sees. He doesn't have any say over who you see either.

Yeah I agree it shouldn’t be an issue but some people can have unexpected reactions which could make things awkward "

Oh but you do get it or you wouldn't ask for public opinion and you'd just ask her if she's interested without worrying about what your friend thinks

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yeah I agree it shouldn’t be an issue but some people can have unexpected reactions which could make things awkward "

Well if I were you I'd speak to her and see how she feels. If you decide to see each other she can mention it to him or you can. If he has an adverse reaction maybe one of you could remind him that they're no longer together.

By *ricksydemonMan
over a year ago

llandudno

For me just have that chat with him and her she may not even be interested if they're split and being with her doesn't affect friendship and vice versa all good. Obviously if he kicks off have a think

over a year ago

Yeah I agree it shouldn’t be an issue but some people can have unexpected reactions which could make things awkward

Oh but you do get it or you wouldn't ask for public opinion and you'd just ask her if she's interested without worrying about what your friend thinks "

Wasn’t me who said “I don’t get it”

By *eeliciouschaosWoman
over a year ago

Wherever

Would you be still interested if she didn’t “got herself in great shape”?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I understand it might be uncomfortable at events you might all go to together. As adults that could be overcome though surely

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Your internet

I suspect he means is he likely to lose his friendship with his mate, as opposed to whether the mate will ‘allow’ it. I may be wrong - just my reading of it.

over a year ago

Mates come first. Absolute no go, surely?!

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Oh but you do get it or you wouldn't ask for public opinion and you'd just ask her if she's interested without worrying about what your friend thinks

Wasn’t me who said “I don’t get it”"

I thought you agreed it shouldn't be a issue, just talk to your friend first and see what he thinks.

You really got to think about friends first I think at the end of the day.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I suspect he means is he likely to lose his friendship with his mate, as opposed to whether the mate will ‘allow’ it. I may be wrong - just my reading of it."

You could well be right. I feel though that if a man who has separated from a woman will cut a friend out if he starts seeing that woman then he's got skewed ideas of friendship (the same applies if genders are reversed) and there is an element of control there. The 'bro code' was mentioned earlier whatever that is, that implies to me that there are unwritten rules around this.

Obviously it's not ideal and really awkward sometimes but blimey, does it really matter?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I thought you agreed it shouldn't be a issue, just talk to your friend first and see what he thinks.

You really got to think about friends first I think at the end of the day. "

See that's what I don't understand, genuinely. Why would he talk to his friend before he talked to her?

over a year ago

What you do relationship-wise is entirely up to you, if you think she'd be interested I don't see why not.

But your comment about getting shape? I'll share something of my personal experience with you that might help you get a bit of perspective - when you are in a miserable relationship, being manipulated and controlled the way I was by my ex, for example, your self esteem is non- existent...And you've been told so often that you're fat and shit, and that no one else will want you so often that you believe it, and that's what you think of yourself. Then eventually you get out of that relationship situation, and with the right support you start finding your confidence and self esteem again- and that's when the transformation happens. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk lol

Mrs

By *alirepublicMan
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

See that's what I don't understand, genuinely. Why would he talk to his friend before he talked to her?"

I feel he's scared of repercussions, also you have the body ideology in there as well but who are we to judge?

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Your internet

I suspect he means is he likely to lose his friendship with his mate, as opposed to whether the mate will ‘allow’ it. I may be wrong - just my reading of it.

You could well be right. I feel though that if a man who has separated from a woman will cut a friend out if he starts seeing that woman then he's got skewed ideas of friendship (the same applies if genders are reversed) and there is an element of control there. The 'bro code' was mentioned earlier whatever that is, that implies to me that there are unwritten rules around this.

Obviously it's not ideal and really awkward sometimes but blimey, does it really matter?"

I don’t disagree at all, but his friend may think “Hey, we’re lifelong friends and you could go out with any woman on the planet. And yet you pick my ex?!”

Appreciate in this circumstance they separated amicably, but for some it may keep reminders of a failed relationship in full view.

I honestly don’t care either way

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

See that's what I don't understand, genuinely. Why would he talk to his friend before he talked to her?

I feel he's scared of repercussions, also you have the body ideology in there as well but who are we to judge? "

Rightly wary by the sound of it.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Obviously it's not ideal and really awkward sometimes but blimey, does it really matter?"

Friends usually don't go with who their friends have been with if was a serious relationship, which I'd say as they got married it was.

It's just a case of if you care about how other people will feel about it and how it may affect them emotionally if they see you with them.

I'm very much about thinking about how my actions might impact others and seems like OP is the same.

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Your internet

My real question is, is it safe for me to go for it with her or should I stay clear?

What you do relationship-wise is entirely up to you, if you think she'd be interested I don't see why not.

But your comment about getting shape? I'll share something of my personal experience with you that might help you get a bit of perspective - when you are in a miserable relationship, being manipulated and controlled the way I was by my ex, for example, your self esteem is non- existent...And you've been told so often that you're fat and shit, and that no one else will want you so often that you believe it, and that's what you think of yourself. Then eventually you get out of that relationship situation, and with the right support you start finding your confidence and self esteem again- and that's when the transformation happens. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk lol

Mrs"

Hey, Mrs. Good for you! Good for you breaking that cycle. Good for you in finding someone else who sees you for what you’re worth. Good for you owning it on a swingers site!

Winning!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Obviously it's not ideal and really awkward sometimes but blimey, does it really matter?

I don’t disagree at all, but his friend may think “Hey, we’re lifelong friends and you could go out with any woman on the planet. And yet you pick my ex?!”

Appreciate in this circumstance they separated amicably, but for some it may keep reminders of a failed relationship in full view.

I honestly don’t care either way "

Nor I but it's Sunday afternoon, I've just eaten a very large slice of chocolate cake with three cups of coffee and I enjoy a discussion about these things.

over a year ago

"Mates come first. Absolute no go, surely?!"

Depends how hot she is surely?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Friends usually don't go with who their friends have been with if was a serious relationship, which I'd say as they got married it was.

It's just a case of if you care about how other people will feel about it and how it may affect them emotionally if they see you with them.

I'm very much about thinking about how my actions might impact others and seems like OP is the same. "

Good for him.

I expect his friend is very worried about how him seeing someone else is impacting his ex and will be happy if she starts seeing someone too

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Your internet

Nor I but it's Sunday afternoon, I've just eaten a very large slice of chocolate cake with three cups of coffee and I enjoy a discussion about these things. "

Right, now I’m very angry because I’ve had no chocolate cake today!!

OP - I wonder if you could expand on your initial post with some detail that answers some of the things we’ve raised above?

By *orthyorkypairCouple
over a year ago

North Yorkshire

Fail to see what it has to do with his mate! he doesnt want her anymore!!!!

By *ouseofhoneyCouple
over a year ago

North West

There is 7 billion people in the World, never go after a mates ex whatever the circumstances...

By *alirepublicMan
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"There is 7 billion people in the World, never go after a mates ex whatever the circumstances..."

Thank you, my thoughts exactly... can we close the thread now!

over a year ago

It's entirely her choice she may not be interested. OP you will just have to deal with a potential negative reaction from your mate.

Couple I know spilt ... both friends of mine ... he made a pass at me I politely told him to find someone new he didn't know as I was not interested in him.

I did however booty call a friend of my ex's once when d*unk and yes he did come over to service me as he'd fallen out with my ex over the way my ex treated me.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

I'm very much about thinking about how my actions might impact others and seems like OP is the same.

Good for him.

I expect his friend is very worried about how him seeing someone else is impacting his ex and will be happy if she starts seeing someone too"

I'm pretty sure he's not with one of her friends or the whole thread would be pointless

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Nor I but it's Sunday afternoon, I've just eaten a very large slice of chocolate cake with three cups of coffee and I enjoy a discussion about these things.

Right, now I’m very angry because I’ve had no chocolate cake today!!

OP - I wonder if you could expand on your initial post with some detail that answers some of the things we’ve raised above?"

Oh dear sorry. This is a huge tray bake, enough for probably ten more servings. Such a shame you're not closer

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

"There is 7 billion people in the World, never go after a mates ex whatever the circumstances..."

Exactly

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Good for him.

I expect his friend is very worried about how him seeing someone else is impacting his ex and will be happy if she starts seeing someone too

I'm pretty sure he's not with one of her friends or the whole thread would be pointless "

I doubt he is.

I think we clearly disagree on this which is fine .

By *tsJustKateWoman
over a year ago

London

Why is it even an issue???

By *amantha_JadeWoman
over a year ago

Newcastle

I’ve been the woman in this position and knocked back quite a few of my exs friends after we’d split. Do you know (or at least have a good idea) that she’d even be open to it? Personally, I would never consider going out with an exs friend out of respect for my ex.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Why is it even an issue???"

Because those involved make it one usually

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Good for him.

I'm pretty sure he's not with one of her friends or the whole thread would be pointless

I doubt he is.

I think we clearly disagree on this which is fine . "

Yeah, it's the sort of thing that has devided opinion. Like is dark or milk chocolate cake better and the answer is obviously milk chocolate

By *hogun300Man
over a year ago

Dundee

Wow! Body shaming is alive and well here.

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

This.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Good for him.

I doubt he is.

Yeah, it's the sort of thing that has devided opinion. Like is dark or milk chocolate cake better and the answer is obviously milk chocolate "

Divided, I can't let that sit

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Good for him.

I doubt he is.

Yeah, it's the sort of thing that has devided opinion. Like is dark or milk chocolate cake better and the answer is obviously milk chocolate "

Steady! I can cope with you disagreeing with me on this issue but not on cake choice.

By *rispyDuckMan
over a year ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

Depends how close you are with your mate?

Myself I wouldn’t, surely there are plenty more fit birds to chose from ayy . It’ll just look like you been a wolf in sheep’s clothing eyeing up his Mrs all these previous years

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Good for him.

I doubt he is.

Yeah, it's the sort of thing that has devided opinion. Like is dark or milk chocolate cake better and the answer is obviously milk chocolate

Steady! I can cope with you disagreeing with me on this issue but not on cake choice. "

I'm not saying I don't eat dark chocolate cake, it's chocolate cake after all

By *dsurreyCouple
over a year ago

Epsom

I (D,male), agree with most of the sentiment in this thread, as in, don't go there, it'll never end well, but also wanted to add that the stories and fantasies section is further down the main forum page.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Steady! I can cope with you disagreeing with me on this issue but not on cake choice.

I'm not saying I don't eat dark chocolate cake, it's chocolate cake after all "

A true renaissance man

over a year ago

I don’t think I body shamed her. She was already attractive. She changed her body shape because she clearly wasn’t happy with the way she looked previously That’s just a fact. Her friends all shower her with praise for what she’s achieved so they think she looks better and she’s happy.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

"

I'm not saying I don't eat dark chocolate cake, it's chocolate cake after all

A true renaissance man "

I love the cake

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Your internet

"I don’t think I body shamed her. She was already attractive. She changed her body shape because she clearly wasn’t happy with the way she looked previously That’s just a fact. Her friends all shower her with praise for what she’s achieved so they think she looks better and she’s happy."

It’s the suggestion you’re only interested because she got herself in great shape; and the way you added “(why do they always wait until after a split)” like she was lazy, wasn’t doing herself any favours and probably could have saved her relationship if only she’d bothered.

Someone’s body is only the business of that person, no one else. Her worth to anyone should not be based on her build.

over a year ago

Mrs

Hey, Mrs. Good for you! Good for you breaking that cycle. Good for you in finding someone else who sees you for what you’re worth. Good for you owning it on a swingers site!

Winning! "

Thank you. I don't share my experience to get attention, I share to hopefully enable other people in similar situations to see that it's not right and its OK to leave. Meeting Mr was really random, and the fact we are both into this lifestyle is an added bonus. He's helped me find confidence in myself, and here I am posting nudes when even just 2 years ago I couldn't stand the sight of myself in a mirror

Mrs

over a year ago

Because finding someone you like isn't that easy.

By *oshker71Man
over a year ago

Cardiff

Man code I wouldn’t break it …a no no from me.

By *oobaaMan
over a year ago

South Shields

Some do yeah...I was a victim of a jealous ex

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

Give it to her dude.

I’d lose the winter jumper though before I made my move

over a year ago

"There is 7 billion people in the World, never go after a mates ex whatever the circumstances...

Because finding someone you like isn't that easy. "

over a year ago

"Give it to her dude.

I’d lose the winter jumper though before I made my move "

Some ladies like it

over a year ago

The fact you’re even asking and thinking about it says a lot about how you think friends act…

He’s probably better of you doing the deed and him finding out what kind of friend you are

over a year ago

"The fact you’re even asking and thinking about it says a lot about how you think friends act…

He’s probably better of you doing the deed and him finding out what kind of friend you are "

Nah you’re wrong, I’m asking because I value the friendship

By *opman121Man
over a year ago

stoke on trent

Depends how much u value your friendship with your mate ?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"The fact you’re even asking and thinking about it says a lot about how you think friends act…

He’s probably better of you doing the deed and him finding out what kind of friend you are

Nah you’re wrong, I’m asking because I value the friendship "

Honestly judging by the majority of the responses here I'd stay clear. It seems there's an unwritten rule that friends exes are off limits .

over a year ago

Nah you’re wrong, I’m asking because I value the friendship

Honestly judging by the majority of the responses here I'd stay clear. It seems there's an unwritten rule that friends exes are off limits .

"

Yeah definitely looking that way

By *aucasian GhandiMan
over a year ago

from my dad's left nut (Warwick)

What do you feel around it Op? Do what feels right by you. You'll get a multitude of opinions on here. But ultimately its about what you think.

over a year ago

Nah you’re wrong, I’m asking because I value the friendship "

Then I’d put yourself in his shoes and ask how you’d feel if your friend or any friend did it to you…

Certainly needs to be left a fair amount of time for sure. Ask if he minds? Ect. He might not careless but you’d need to make sure before anything else…

Also she might not want to either

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

I wouldn't go anywhere near a good mates ex,I value my friends.

Maybe ask him and see what he says op.

By *r_PinkMan
over a year ago

london stratford

On a personal note, As this has happened to me. I suggest you go to your mate and ask him if it is OK for you to "go for it" as it where. If he is cool with it, go for it but if he is not. Don't.

you don't want to lose a friend over it and as you say he is already in a new relationship so I see no reason he should object.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Why are people saying to ask him first? It's not like he's borrowing a lawn mower

over a year ago

Echoing this thought. At least not actively pursue it.

By *amantha_JadeWoman
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Why are people saying to ask him first? It's not like he's borrowing a lawn mower"

I agree. What’s the point in speaking to his mate first and rocking the boat if he doesn’t even know for sure that she’s interested? He needs to establish that first…

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

He needs to be dead before you go there he may still have feelings for her omg hope i haven't given you ideas

By *aucasian GhandiMan
over a year ago

Op what's your moral stance on?

What is your gut feeling around this topic?

Would you be pissed if it was your ex and your mate?

Can you deal with any potential fallout between you and your friend?

Does she feel the same way?

And if you spoke with your mate, he said he feels a certain way about it. Would that stop you or would you do it any way?

over a year ago

I knew someone who met a girl and over the years and after a couple of babies she went from size 10 to 14/16 and the husband left her citing she had "let herself go."

my wife was and is a size 10 again and was 16 after having our kids and I dont recall tha tother than when we look at pics.

OP, what will happen is the girl put the weight back on?

TBH, I'm not sure why you are asking.

Is she interested in you?

By *ts the taking part thatMan
over a year ago

southampton

"Don't be a cunt"

Too right.

over a year ago

southampton

It's not say, it's a sort of moral thing. Would you go after a girlfriends ex husband once they split up?

Would you honestly not see any awkward issues with it?

over a year ago

"I knew someone who met a girl and over the years and after a couple of babies she went from size 10 to 14/16 and the husband left her citing she had "let herself go."

my wife was and is a size 10 again and was 16 after having our kids and I dont recall tha tother than when we look at pics.

OP, what will happen is the girl put the weight back on?

TBH, I'm not sure why you are asking.

Is she interested in you?"

Gosh yes, if she puts the weight back on the world will surely end!

By *pltoplayCouple
over a year ago

close by

If he was banging your ex wife or partner would you mind?

By *aucasian GhandiMan
over a year ago

"Do men really still think they can say who their ex has a relationship with?

It's not say, it's a sort of moral thing. Would you go after a girlfriends ex husband once they split up?

Would you honestly not see any awkward issues with it? "

Sort of a moral thing? Morals are or there not....sort kind of suggests that morals are loose to suit an agenda

By *londebiguyMan
over a year ago

Southport

When you are single and free to do what you want as do adult then it is absolutely nobody else business what you do.

You are both consenting adults.

It is upto you both to decide if it's what you want to do.

By *ixed MisterMan
over a year ago

London

If it was a mate of mine going after my ex wife while I was happily moved on, then I'd say crack on. Just don't be a dickhead.

On the other side though. I wouldn't be looking pursue an ex wife of a mate, would just feel a bit odd. Even more so if I was at their wedding.

over a year ago

southampton

"If it was a mate of mine going after my ex wife while I was happily moved on, then I'd say crack on. Just don't be a dickhead.

On the other side though. I wouldn't be looking pursue an ex wife of a mate, would just feel a bit odd. Even more so if I was at their wedding. "

Exactly that, going to be very Marmite subject & just feel people are being Niave to how awkward it would be.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

Talk to your friend as only he has the answer.

By *alirepublicMan
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Why is this thread still going...

1 - bros first

2 - coming here for advice = scared

3 - the body shaming

Shouldn't have said anything in the first place

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Do men really still think they can say who their ex has a relationship with?

Would you honestly not see any awkward issues with it? "

What is the moral issue with two adults who are not lying to or cheating on anyone seeing each other?

I wouldn't 'go after' anyone but if a woman friend of mine was divorced or separated and had moved on and her ex husband and I wanted to date I would ask him how he felt about it and tell her out of courtesy but I wouldn't apologise or ask her permission.

Yes I can see awkward issues but life is full of them and adults are used to navigating them .

Post new Message to Thread