Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

debate

Jump to newest

By *ranny-Crumpet OP   Woman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What does 'debate' mean to you ? ( no googlying )

No sniggering and asking for a mass debate.....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"What does 'debate' mean to you ? ( no googlying )

No sniggering and asking for a mass debate.....

"

Awwww

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

A discourse wherein both (or more) parties shout at one another whilst not listening to the opposing views.

Oh… I may have that wrong….

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

A slightly more civil argument …

By *ittlebirdWoman
over a year ago

The Big Smoke

An argument for each side. Neither has to win it’s designed to illustrate the point for each person or viewpoint.

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

It means that you should beable to argue against and for something, for that is an healthy debate, otherwise it would become rather one sided

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Ah ha! I remember the correct definition now; It’s when someone irks you with an opposing opinion so you slap them across the face with a glove and ask them if they’d prefer to duel with flint lock muskets or else swords

By *nkyCplCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

A discussion between parties that have differing views.

By *ansoffateMan
over a year ago

Sagittarius A

It's what de fisherman use to catch de fish?

By *nkyCplCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"It's what de fisherman use to catch de fish?"

You HAVE to be exforces.

over a year ago

Those that hold the bean bag speak whilst others listen

over a year ago

In my eyes, it's a co conversation between a group of people. But also one that needs both sides to listen to each other

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Chat shit for an hour or two then vote who chatted the best shit.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"In my eyes, it's a co conversation between a group of people. But also one that needs both sides to listen to each other"

Has to be a winner though.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Respectfully, Granny, we disagree. Too many rules

over a year ago

"In my eyes, it's a co conversation between a group of people. But also one that needs both sides to listen to each other

Has to be a winner though."

Not always. As long as people listen and not think their view is right

over a year ago

For me personally, it means massive anxiety over having to say things I don't believe in a manufactured argument! But I'm sure there's some life lessons in it about homing in on the pros and cons, recognising bias blah blah blah

By *ickD80Man
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

A debate is when someone has a different opinion to mine so we sit down together, both calmly voice our opinions to each other, discuss them for a while and eventually come to the conclusion that my opinion was the correct one…..

Does anyone get the reference….

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

A free and frank exchange of views but without the fisticuffs.

over a year ago

It makes me think of trainee lawyers /barristers who have to defend or prosecute and could argue both sides - present the 'facts' in a persuasive and charismatic way to influence the audience to side with you

By *ickD80Man
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"It makes me think of trainee lawyers /barristers who have to defend or prosecute and could argue both sides - present the 'facts' in a persuasive and charismatic way to influence the audience to side with you"

Qualified lawyers/barristers have to do that as well

over a year ago

Testing a hypothesis with views and facts.

over a year ago

Explaining my abhorrent views and you explaining yours.

By *hroatQueen_CATV/TS
over a year ago

Carlisle

A civilised conversation between adults, On different subjects who's opinion may differ.

over a year ago

"It makes me think of trainee lawyers /barristers who have to defend or prosecute and could argue both sides - present the 'facts' in a persuasive and charismatic way to influence the audience to side with you

Qualified lawyers/barristers have to do that as well"

Yes absolutely - my example was just to help demonstrate they can 'argue' the case regardless of their side or position - and in a debating society type situation it's a case of here is the topic, draw a straw for which side to argue and then swap... Who can 'win' people over to side with them

By *ickD80Man
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"It makes me think of trainee lawyers /barristers who have to defend or prosecute and could argue both sides - present the 'facts' in a persuasive and charismatic way to influence the audience to side with you

Yes absolutely - my example was just to help demonstrate they can 'argue' the case regardless of their side or position - and in a debating society type situation it's a case of here is the topic, draw a straw for which side to argue and then swap... Who can 'win' people over to side with them"

Oh, I see what you mean, yeah, a debate is definitely when you argue a case regardless of whether it’s what you necessarily believe or not for the purpose of getting an audience to side with you.

over a year ago

Yes absolutely - my example was just to help demonstrate they can 'argue' the case regardless of their side or position - and in a debating society type situation it's a case of here is the topic, draw a straw for which side to argue and then swap... Who can 'win' people over to side with them

Oh, I see what you mean, yeah, a debate is definitely when you argue a case regardless of whether it’s what you necessarily believe or not for the purpose of getting an audience to side with you. "

I am rubbish at debating but apparently can be persuasive at work when I'm passionate about something

By *ickD80Man
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Oh, I see what you mean, yeah, a debate is definitely when you argue a case regardless of whether it’s what you necessarily believe or not for the purpose of getting an audience to side with you.

I am rubbish at debating but apparently can be persuasive at work when I'm passionate about something "

Haha, well it’s easier to be persuasive when you’re passionate about something, I think I’m too laid back to care enough about anything to feel the need to debate it, I’m a live and let live person so i don’t feel the need to force my opinions onto others. I’m quite happy to accept that people have different opinions to mine and get on with my life without having a debate about it haha

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

People elected to run the country in funny clothes making animal noises at each other in a big room

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

Two opposing views, discussing why they believe their view should be held as credible, while trying to diminish the other.

The mr

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

"A discussion between parties that have differing views."
This

over a year ago

Two parties having a lively chat

over a year ago

Listening to other people's views and responding with your own thoughts.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

A conversation which includes different points of view and opinions, and everyone will be heard regardless of whether we agree with said view/opinion

By *aleakalaMan
over a year ago

Stourbridge

A debate is a formal method of presenting arguments to an audience with predetermined rules on length of time to speak, rebuttals etc.

However language changes and people use the word debate to mean something much less formalised.

over a year ago

Ohhhhh a personal debate! Narrative in your own head weighing things up by looking at the positive and the negative

By *ranny-Crumpet OP   Woman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Those that know above you warm my cockles......

I asked cos in a thread I was reading last night, so many said they were 'debating' an issue and it was clear to me they didn't have a scoobies what debate is.

Anyway ...... fanks.

I prefer to dialogue rather than debate AND

I think if very many people learned the difference between dialogue, discussion and debate their would be fewer people vomiting puerile crap into the ether and fewer people attempting to discredit others or simply just becoming insulting.

It does make me wonder why so many are unnerved when someone doesn't agree with them.

over a year ago

The thing with dialogue or debate is there’s always many factors so when you see it on the news or question time or whatever that’s not a debate that’s just shouting and who shouts the loudest, the best is long form podcasts, then even at the end of three hours of it, there is still a difference of opinion but all avenues have been explored and it’s just more informed

By *erence IIMan
over a year ago

Irrelevant

It is a discussion between people holding two or more different views on a subject where each person gets to present their ideas and attempts to demonstrate why they are correct, either to the other participants or to an an audience.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"A debate is a formal method of presenting arguments to an audience with predetermined rules on length of time to speak, rebuttals etc.

However language changes and people use the word debate to mean something much less formalised. "

I don't use it in the original sense. I didn't know I wasn't using it correctly. People understand me.

By *wingin CatMan
over a year ago

London

Debate is the means of two parties with opposing opinions discussing their sides, and listening to the other side without violating their right to be heard.

A successful debate does not involve the losing party (right or wrong) becoming a cry-baby, or a sore loser, or crying that they're the victim simply because they didn't end up best off in the debate.

over a year ago

It's what you put on de hook to catch de fish..

By *aleakalaMan
over a year ago

Stourbridge

"A debate is a formal method of presenting arguments to an audience with predetermined rules on length of time to speak, rebuttals etc.

However language changes and people use the word debate to mean something much less formalised.

I don't use it in the original sense. I didn't know I wasn't using it correctly. People understand me. "

Language evolves, meanings alter, words fall out of use, new words are invented. Context often helps us understand what meaning someone intends their words to convey.

By *ames-77Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Two people conversing and sharing points of view over a specific subject .. obviously it can be a debate on a larger scale between groups of people and even nations and cultures

By *ansoffateMan
over a year ago

Sagittarius A

[Removed by poster at 27/04/23 13:14:21]

over a year ago

To me a debate is two or more people discussing something and exchanging views and opinions. Everyone needs to be able to listen as well as speak. It does not mean that everyone agrees at the end but everyone should understand each others viewpoints by the end.

By *exyBums22Couple
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

In my experience, it's two groups of people with little to no knowledge on their given subjects shouting over eachother.

Normally spouting buzzwords or regurgitating extracts from a podcast they've listen to recently.

They go back and forth for a while not really listening to eachother or trying to understand the other side of the argument, until everyone gets angry and calls eachother names.

Finally ending in everyone leaving with the same bad opinion the went in with, slightly disgruntled and unfulfilled from the whole affair.

And then we have chirstmas dinner.

Post new Message to Thread