Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Huel

Jump to newest

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

Seen a few people in the office with these on their lunch and it made me curious.

Is there anymore depressing than drinking your meals to get your calories in?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

Even the name sounds like vomit.

J

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Always preferred a pint of Guinness

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"Even the name sounds like vomit.

J"

I just did a puking sound while saying it and it made me chuckle. Thank you, Julie

over a year ago

"Seen a few people in the office with these on their lunch and it made me curious.

Is there anymore depressing than drinking your meals to get your calories in? "

People struggle getting their calories in?

over a year ago

"Even the name sounds like vomit.

J

I just did a puking sound while saying it and it made me chuckle. Thank you, Julie "

I did this too

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"Always preferred a pint of Guinness "

Rich in iron apparently so must be good for you

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

Honestly, I've been tempted by these recently.

I'm not chasing calories to meet a certain number by the end of the day.

They just seemed convenient to me.

Especially because when it comes to food I am very lazy and will often not bother eating anything at all.

I understand they will never replace a healthy balanced diet, but they do look convenient.

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"Seen a few people in the office with these on their lunch and it made me curious.

People struggle getting their calories in? "

Well it can be for that, but I suppose it's for convenience too. It's still grim though

over a year ago

"Always preferred a pint of Guinness

Rich in iron apparently so must be good for you "

And leaves you feeling happy

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

When you're slim and beautiful like me it can be a real struggle

over a year ago

Well it can be for that, but I suppose it's for convenience too. It's still grim though "

Also, less people would judge if it was a blended big Mac. Now there's an idea....

By *estarossa.Woman
over a year ago

Flagrante

Is there anymore depressing than drinking your meals to get your calories

over a year ago

I used something similar and used in my waffles when I got bored of the drink. This was before I discovered the airfryer.

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

The original “meal replacements” (myoplex, met-rx ect) fizzled out many years ago this just looks like rehashed version of those. Like you say drinking your calories is about as depressing as it comes

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"Honestly, I've been tempted by these recently.

Especially because when it comes to food I am very lazy and will often not bother eating anything at all.

I understand they will never replace a healthy balanced diet, but they do look convenient. "

I suppose if there's the choice between that or nothing then that makes sense. But there are loads of third options too. Even a ham sandwich would better imo

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"Always preferred a pint of Guinness

Rich in iron apparently so must be good for you

And leaves you feeling happy "

I'll have to try the 0% one some time!

over a year ago

I understand they will never replace a healthy balanced diet, but they do look convenient.

I suppose if there's the choice between that or nothing then that makes sense. But there are loads of third options too. Even a ham sandwich would better imo "

Nowt wrong with a ham sandwich lad

over a year ago

Can we keep replies in here please

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

Well it can be for that, but I suppose it's for convenience too. It's still grim though

Also, less people would judge if it was a blended big Mac. Now there's an idea...."

The McHuel

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"Is there anymore depressing than drinking your meals to get your calories "

Ok, I see how that looks now

By *BootyfulDayWoman
over a year ago

Oh my days I think I might be in the minority here as I have used Huel before….mainly because it sponsors a podcast I love and influencer marketing clearly works on me

I definitely don’t recommend if you’re expecting it to taste like a smoothie or milkshake haha but not going to lie I don’t mind them! For me 100% convenience as especially the months over Xmas I was working ridiculous amounts and wasn’t getting home to cook and would go 12 + hours running about without a break so it was that or living on bits of chocolate haha would I replace all my meals with it? Absolutely not and actually it’s not meant to replace all your meals…. I flippin love food but I still occasionally drink one also I’m a sucker for a free T-shirt (I know not actually free if it’s with your first order) but it’s a reallllllly good quality one!

I fear I may get chastised for liking them

over a year ago

I cannot see how they can be any good for you long term. What's the science behind it? I've always believed you need to fuel your body with a balanced diet and calorie control is not hard.

Just read the blurb and it sounds like a pseudo science: use as part of a calorie controlled diet....

I could be wrong but if your diet was calorie controlled you would let need it?

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"I used something similar and used in my waffles when I got bored of the drink. This was before I discovered the airfryer. "

Wait, You put the powder they gave you in solid food?

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"The original “meal replacements” (myoplex, met-rx ect) fizzled out many years ago this just looks like rehashed version of those. Like you say drinking your calories is about as depressing as it comes "

Ahhh right, I didn't know about those but keep getting adverts about it Asif it's some great and healthy thing

By *rancois Du BoisMan
over a year ago

Down the back of the sofa.

"Always preferred a pint of Guinness "

I did 7 pints in two hours and Jessicagrace had to chat to me on the phone to make sure I got home ok….

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

I suppose if there's the choice between that or nothing then that makes sense. But there are loads of third options too. Even a ham sandwich would better imo

Nowt wrong with a ham sandwich lad "

I never said there was, I just said they were better than Huel

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"Can we keep replies in here please "

Want me to ba'er 'em?

over a year ago

I never said there was, I just said they were better than Huel "

I’ve never had a huel so I’ll take your word for it

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"Oh my days I think I might be in the minority here as I have used Huel before….mainly because it sponsors a podcast I love and influencer marketing clearly works on me

I definitely don’t recommend if you’re expecting it to taste like a smoothie or milkshake haha but not going to lie I don’t mind them! For me 100% convenience as especially the months over Xmas I was working ridiculous amounts and wasn’t getting home to cook and would go 12 + hours running about without a break so it was that or living on bits of chocolate haha would I replace all my meals with it? Absolutely not and actually it’s not meant to replace all your meals…. I flippin love food but I still occasionally drink one also I’m a sucker for a free T-shirt (I know not actually free if it’s with your first order) but it’s a reallllllly good quality one!

I fear I may get chastised for liking them "

You're a wrong'un so I'm not surprised

But that's fair enough. I absolutely get the convenience of them as they're very quick to prepare. I just don't think I could do it, no matter how much a pinch I have for time but you do you!

By *arpePinguisWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

Salted caramel Huel is delicious! It's a perfectly balanced, nutritious meal option. My lardy arse would be even bigger if I didn't occasionally use it as a meal replacement option- much healthier than the cheese sandwiches I'd probably end up eating otherwise

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"I cannot see how they can be any good for you long term. What's the science behind it? I've always believed you need to fuel your body with a balanced diet and calorie control is not hard.

Just read the blurb and it sounds like a pseudo science: use as part of a calorie controlled diet....

"

I'm sure there's loads of food we eat that isn't completely traceable to see how much is good for us. There's just something about drinking your calories that makes me think all hope is lost

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

I never said there was, I just said they were better than Huel

I’ve never had a huel so I’ll take your word for it "

Oh neither have I. Wait, am I being judgemental?

over a year ago

They’re exactly 400 calories, high in protein, and full of vitamins and minerals, and don’t taste bad for this kind of thing.

I tried them as an alternative to service station food when driving up and down the country.

Only trouble is, they didn’t seem to stop the hunger or quell the habit, so I ended up drinking a really healthy balanced and nutritious meal, on top of a double whopper or a boneless banquet

over a year ago

"I cannot see how they can be any good for you long term. What's the science behind it? I've always believed you need to fuel your body with a balanced diet and calorie control is not hard.

I'm sure there's loads of food we eat that isn't completely traceable to see how much is good for us. There's just something about drinking your calories that makes me think all hope is lost "

Oh I agree with that.

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"Salted caramel Huel is delicious! It's a perfectly balanced, nutritious meal option. My lardy arse would be even bigger if I didn't occasionally use it as a meal replacement option- much healthier than the cheese sandwiches I'd probably end up eating otherwise"

Sounds like it's done you good! I still think it seems a bit depressing to drink

By *oeBeans OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"They’re exactly 400 calories, high in protein, and full of vitamins and minerals, and don’t taste bad for this kind of thing.

I tried them as an alternative to service station food when driving up and down the country.

Only trouble is, they didn’t seem to stop the hunger or quell the habit, so I ended up drinking a really healthy balanced and nutritious meal, on top of a double whopper or a boneless banquet "

That's pretty interesting. I wonder where the protein content of it comes from though...

By *BootyfulDayWoman
over a year ago

Is it soya or pea? It’s a vegan source anyway can’t remember tbh! Maybe that’s cos I’m a wrong ‘un haha My phone even tried to correct that as I’ve never used that phrase before or been called it!

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I need to shed a few calories

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"

I suppose if there's the choice between that or nothing then that makes sense. But there are loads of third options too. Even a ham sandwich would better imo "

Try telling that to the pig

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I haven't tried girl, but I did try the myprotein ones. And they were ok. I only get 30mins for lunch and usually work through so was convenient to just drink one of them.

However, I'm lactose intolerant so they weren't appropriate should we say. So I tried the vegan ones instead, they were absolutely grim.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Girl? Huel

By *piritualSFCMan
over a year ago

london

I'm a hueligan three days of the week. I take the higher protein huel and quite like all the flavours. It's not the greatest tasting but as it says on the packet helps to fuel my days at work when very busy - also gives you a healthy balance.

Vegan sourced ingredients, only 3 shakes a week, works out cheaper than a meal deal and a lot healthier to.

Often have it with some fruit.

Not a replacement or calorie counting - just something convenient. I have a proper meal at home in the evening.

over a year ago

I thought this was about the big guy from Better Call Saul

By *BootyfulDayWoman
over a year ago

"I thought this was about the big guy from Better Call Saul "

Oh I forgot that was his name haha!

By *ecretRdvzMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I tried huel once and it tasted like shit. I’ve had a lot of different protein shakes etc over the years and never tasted anything as vile in my life. Two full bags went in the bin, never again.

By *uzzy-LogicMan
over a year ago

Fochabers

"Oh my days I think I might be in the minority here as I have used Huel before….mainly because it sponsors a podcast I love and influencer marketing clearly works on me

No chastising from me.

I also liked them, was great when I worked in the bar doing long shifts no breaks.

And yes t-shirt was great partner currently has mine

By *amantha TSWoman
over a year ago

Swindon

I use Huel when doing long days and I can't get away to get anything else. For the convenience it's great, I mix the salted caramel with coffee caramel and it's not bad. The texture is the biggest thing I had to get used to, but when you're hungry you don't mind it!

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

I won't chastise you.

Myself, husband and the boyfriend all use huel (and several of our friends)

We are all neurodiverse which I do think plays some part in it. We have issues with tastes and textures and often forget to eat (or it feels like a chore)

So being able to grab a huel (or a hot and savoury) while knowing it's better for you than a pot noodle or yet another latte is a good thing.

Actuall doesn't taste bad either!

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"I use Huel when doing long days and I can't get away to get anything else. For the convenience it's great, I mix the salted caramel with coffee caramel and it's not bad. The texture is the biggest thing I had to get used to, but when you're hungry you don't mind it! "

I much prefer the RTD... More expensive but it's a nicer texture.

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

I use Huel! I really like it for a number of reasons but, JoeBeans, I totally get your point. What you said makes me think of the gruel they ate in the Nebuchadnezzar in The Matrix!

My trouble is I’m lazy with preparing food and a massive child. I’d far rather have baked beans and little sausages than a chicken salad, or chocolate granola than weetabix. Consequently, for a slim bloke, I put weight on in the middle and look weird!

Huel helps me with that because it takes out the thinking, buying, prep etc. I have loads of different flavours on the go and get two 400g meals a day while I’m working at my desk. Then I have a decent meal in the evening. Sometimes there’s even vegetables!!

I supplement with a bit of fruit and it works for me.

Luckily I like the Huel flavours and I'm not someone who gets bored with eating the same thing each day.

So, to each their own, I guess. It works for my tastes, habits and work commitments, but I get that they won’t be for everyone.

over a year ago

I get the utility of it, but I agree it’s sad. People who have lost their connection to the pleasures of food, or never had it in the first place, are missing out on one of the greatest simple pleasures of life.

But what do I know. I’m Italian.

Post new Message to Thread