Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Barry Humphries

Jump to newest

By *ull English with tea OP   Man
over a year ago

London

Very sad news.

A brilliantly funny and clever man, whose portfolio extended far beyond his best known character, Dame Edna.

Not to mention another Humphries character, the Australian cultural attaché, Sir Les Patterson.

My dad actually got my mum tickets to a performance of his in London (as she was an Aussie) and to her horror she was called up on stage and had to do a bizarre cookery demonstration with him. A story she never tired of telling us!

RIP Barry / Edna / Sir Les / etc. A great man.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Very sad news.

A brilliantly funny and clever man, whose portfolio extended far beyond his best known character, Dame Edna.

Not to mention another Humphries character, the Australian cultural attaché, Sir Les Patterson.

My dad actually got my mum tickets to a performance of his in London (as she was an Aussie) and to her horror she was called up on stage and had to do a bizarre cookery demonstration with him. A story she never tired of telling us!

RIP Barry / Edna / Sir Les / etc. A great man."

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

RIP Barry. A true comedy great.

A

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

That’s sad to hear.

Les was my favourite of his characters

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

[Removed by poster at 22/04/23 13:26:51]

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

When he played sir Les Patterson on Parkinson. You can watch it on YouTube. At first people honestly thought he was d*unk.

The uncontrolled dribbling, yellow hands from too much tobacco and the sick down his suit. He even use to have a inflatable massive cock in his trousers which went up during interviews.

Never get away with it today but what a genius

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

RIP Barry Humphries indeed. I remember he did a Saturday night show in the persona of Dame Edna called Neighbourhood Watch. His ad lib humour was pure genius in that. So sad.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

A full life, well lived. RIP

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I just came here to post the same. I used to find Dame Edna and Sir Les hilarious. A really talented and funny man gone....

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/apr/22/barry-humphries-dies-australian-comedian-death-dead-dame-edna-everage-sir-les-patterson

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Along with Hinge & Bracket, took drag to the mainstream way before most of the current 'look at me' crowd were born...and did it with way more class and humour too.

Sharper than a razor and some of the best put downs you'll encounter anywhere- usually with the person on the receiving end laughing as much as the audience.

Possibly one of Australias finest global exports

By *aizyWoman
over a year ago

west midlands

Oh that is sad I loved Dame Edna.

By *ts the taking part thatMan
over a year ago

southampton

Goodbye Possums......

By *vilgasamWoman
over a year ago

The dot in the i

"Goodbye Possums...... "

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I couldn’t cope with the Les persona - he always wore filthy stained shirts and looked a bit seedy. But I loved Dame Edna.

Another star for the sky.

Post new Message to Thread