Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Do you ever worry about the side effects

Jump to newest

By *he love cats OP   Couple
over a year ago

South Wales

of medications, long lists of scary side effects some even death.

Do you read through them and worry or don't even bother reading them and just take the meds?

They have to be safe as the GP gave them to you right?

Have a lovely day all.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Personally no.

Although my anxiety medication has a hilarious side effect of causing anxiety.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

Yes.

I'm quite prone to not taking anything I don't believe to be necessary.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

They don't worry me, but I always check them so I know what to look out for.

I've had to stop taking a few medications because of the side effects.

The most recent one was working really well but the stomach pain was unbearable.

over a year ago

I absolutely never read them so I don’t need to worry about them

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Yes if I believe them to outweigh the benefits I stoped taking the bisopralol and perindopril feeling they were no longer necessary I was told was no longer in heart failure but to keep taking them for some reason

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I’ve never been a fan of taking tablets etc. I’ve had some menopause patches staring at me from the kitchen cupboard since last august. Keep thinking I’ll pop one on on Monday!

over a year ago

You have to take a deliberately large amount of any medication to start triggering the side effects mentioned. The only real scenario where it doesn't take much to trigger a side effect from a particular medication is if you are allergic to it in the first place. But general pop-a-pill-when-sick kind of thing? Nah, no worries at all.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Hello Cheery Chimps ......

I read the contra indications. I work out if I should avoid the medication.

Mostly I take them as I don't seem to be allergic to anything/have bad reactions.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"of medications, long lists of scary side effects some even death.

Do you read through them and worry or don't even bother reading them and just take the meds?

Have a lovely day all.

"

Nope.

I pissed myself laughing during covid when anti vaxxers started sharing a long list of side effects including death, alongside photos of covid vaccines.....only for someone to then point out that the list had been taken from the paperwork that accompanies paracetamol.

Any drug has potential side effects. Anyone can be allergic to a constituent of a medicine. To think otherwise is naive, but the odds on that person being you are generally smaller than being hit by a lose bull, struck by lightening or being crushed by a falling grand piano.

A

By *erence IIMan
over a year ago

Irrelevant

Have a lovely day all.

"

They don't have to be safe at all, they just have to pass a risk/reward assessment. If the reward is relatively minor then serious side effects are going to be statistically highly unlikely. If the reward is significant (as for example with some cancer drugs) then far higher risks can be tolerated. If paracetamol eased your headache but had a high probability of making you vomit and your hair fall out you wouldn't take it. On the other hand, chemo drugs that are known to have certain unpleasant side effects are routinely administered because not doing so would result in death.

Worth bearing in mind whet you read this side effects. If you're taking the drugs for something relatively minor the really bad side effects are almost certainly vanishingly rare.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Have a lovely day all.

"

I take them into account, yes. But am usually in a position where I need to at least try the medication. Fairly recently, I stopped taking all the painkillers I'd been prescribed for my chronic pain because of the side effects. I just take Pregabalin now to try and alleviate a bit of my nerve pain, but I can't take a high dose. I have been advised to try duloxetine or amitriptyline but I don't want the side effects, especially not in concert with the Pregabalin.

I also take care with my thyroid meds not to take my iron tablets within 6hrs etc.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

Some I do, I try not to read them to be honest, side effects come with everything from processed food to even deodorant with cancer causing ingredients, never mind medication, if it's necessary I'll take it if I feel the risk outweighs the benefit I won't.

Mrs

over a year ago

North West

"You have to take a deliberately large amount of any medication to start triggering the side effects mentioned. The only real scenario where it doesn't take much to trigger a side effect from a particular medication is if you are allergic to it in the first place. But general pop-a-pill-when-sick kind of thing? Nah, no worries at all. "

This is incorrect. I get side effects from a single 30mg codeine tablet, for example. I am allergic to ibuprofen and a regular 400mg dose will bring me out in hives (a potential side effect).

Side effects can occur at any dose.

over a year ago

Yeah, but if you need them you need them.

By *hristopherd999Man
over a year ago

Brentwood

Most meds list the same side effects but just in a different order

over a year ago

North West

"Most meds list the same side effects but just in a different order"

Yeah, they just a random generator to list them.....

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Have a lovely day all.

I take them into account, yes. But am usually in a position where I need to at least try the medication. Fairly recently, I stopped taking all the painkillers I'd been prescribed for my chronic pain because of the side effects. I just take Pregabalin now to try and alleviate a bit of my nerve pain, but I can't take a high dose. I have been advised to try duloxetine or amitriptyline but I don't want the side effects, especially not in concert with the Pregabalin.

I also take care with my thyroid meds not to take my iron tablets within 6hrs etc. "

That's what I'm doing at the moment. I took 200 Ibuprofen a couple of nights ago though as my foot pain was keeping me awake. I need to give my stomach a break.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

They really don't.

over a year ago

No, because my heart would be in a bit of a state without daily meds. I'll take the risk of side effects over that

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

Any medicine is a risk vs benefits trade-off. Medicines are drugs after all, and few are free of side-effects. The trick is to be sure you need them in the first place, and then optimise the dose to the absolute minimum for efficacy.

over a year ago

North West

"Any medicine is a risk vs benefits trade-off. Medicines are drugs after all, and few are free of side-effects. The trick is to be sure you need them in the first place, and then optimise the dose to the absolute minimum for efficacy."

Sometimes you have to reduce the dose below that for full therapeutic purposes, due to side effects. I get some benefit from Pregabalin, but cannot increase the dose because otherwise my liver function goes bonkers.

over a year ago

It's not just medication, anything we put it in our mouths has potential to cause harm.. food, water, penis. We don't know where its come from or how it's produced, we just trust the people telling us its okay.

Guess we all need to just be a little George Michael and have a little faith.

over a year ago

"You have to take a deliberately large amount of any medication to start triggering the side effects mentioned. The only real scenario where it doesn't take much to trigger a side effect from a particular medication is if you are allergic to it in the first place. But general pop-a-pill-when-sick kind of thing? Nah, no worries at all.

This is incorrect. I get side effects from a single 30mg codeine tablet, for example. I am allergic to ibuprofen and a regular 400mg dose will bring me out in hives (a potential side effect).

Side effects can occur at any dose. "

Yeah that's because you're already allergic to that specific drug. I'm saying in general medication side effects don't come out for no good reason unless you either are already predisposed to be allergic towards them, or you take a crap ton of them enough to overdose on.

By *andacouple3Couple
over a year ago

Chatham

I was prescribed Tamsulosin but after a couple of days I felt a little dizzy but not all the time. However on the fifth day I felt so dizzy walking down the high street that I didn't think I would be able to get home. When I popped into Boots to get advice from the pharmacist I had to hold to the shelves whist waiting my turn. The pharmacist asked what tablets I was taking and when I told her she said to stop taking them as they had a side effect of making some people dizzy. I bought a walking stick so I could get home safely. On reading the side effects it said that my symptoms were to be expected. I stopped the tablets but had to use the walking stick for nearly two weeks before the effects wore off.

So my advice is always read the accompanying literature before taking any tablets.

By *esYesOMGYes!Man
over a year ago

M20

My dad was in nursing.

He would catch errors in doctors prescriptions all of the time. Usually when giving a new medicine to a patient without considering the medication they’re already on.

Some medicines simply shouldn’t be combined.

By *ansoffateMan
over a year ago

Sagittarius A

I take them and if I get side-effects I may read up on it.

If the side-effects aren't worth it I stop taking them and tell the doc.

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

I do read the leaflet, but don't worry particularly.

Funnily enough I did suffer a side effect from some medication when I was 18. I started taking it age 11 so don't suppose I ever read the leaflet. I've just looked it up online and it does mention what happened to me as a very rare side effect. It doesn't mention that it can kill you. I suppose that would be rather off-putting.

over a year ago

I don’t read them often because if I know the possible side effects then I’m gonna start to think I’m having said side effects and panic I like to stay blissfully unaware.

over a year ago

North West

"You have to take a deliberately large amount of any medication to start triggering the side effects mentioned. The only real scenario where it doesn't take much to trigger a side effect from a particular medication is if you are allergic to it in the first place. But general pop-a-pill-when-sick kind of thing? Nah, no worries at all.

Yeah that's because you're already allergic to that specific drug. I'm saying in general medication side effects don't come out for no good reason unless you either are already predisposed to be allergic towards them, or you take a crap ton of them enough to overdose on. "

No, the side effects from codeine, for example, are nothing to do with allergy, but occur at normal therapeutic dosages. For example, constipation. You don't need to be taking a high dose for constipation to occur, it happens to the majority of people taking codeine. Side effects do happen at normal therapeutic doses. Side effects are usually identified during clinical trials, which test therapeutic doses.

over a year ago

Yeah that's because you're already allergic to that specific drug. I'm saying in general medication side effects don't come out for no good reason unless you either are already predisposed to be allergic towards them, or you take a crap ton of them enough to overdose on.

No, the side effects from codeine, for example, are nothing to do with allergy, but occur at normal therapeutic dosages. For example, constipation. You don't need to be taking a high dose for constipation to occur, it happens to the majority of people taking codeine. Side effects do happen at normal therapeutic doses. Side effects are usually identified during clinical trials, which test therapeutic doses."

Spot on

over a year ago

Ignorance is bliss.

This is also why I don't read profiles.

By *elinda BeaverCouple
over a year ago

Nottinghamshire

The drugs don't work, they just make you worse!!

I have spent years on many different medications. They may appear to work at first but your body gets used to them. Addicted even. We listen to the people we trust, Dr's and take it thinking it will help. They don't always and it's not easy coming off said medication either. I now think twice before taking anything newly prescribed.

By *andycandy88Woman
over a year ago

Northolt

I would rather a long term fix than a quick fix like what doctors prescribe

Herbal drinks

Vitamin tablets

Steam room for our joints

Lemon and Ginger tea with a bit of rum for a cold

Comedy when you feel down

Music to keep the spirits up

Walks to clear the mind

Those are my kind of medicines

Great Post OP XX

By *he love cats OP   Couple
over a year ago

South Wales

"I would rather a long term fix than a quick fix like what doctors prescribe

Herbal drinks

Vitamin tablets

Walks to clear the mind

Great Post OP XX"

Thanks yes very interesting just to see the different points of view, totally respect them all tbh.

over a year ago

North West

Herbal drinks

Vitamin tablets

Walks to clear the mind

Great Post OP XX"

If only chronic nerve pain could be alleviated thus.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Always

As I read what to expect and what could be long term which is important because you could end up taking something else because of this medication can cause serious damage if used long term

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Absoulutly! Every new medication! Was prescribed one last year read the side effects and decided was not for me in effect could make my fanny fall off! Told the diabetic nurse would rather die! So got prescribed an injection instead which has not nice side effects and of course I get them! But its better than the former! And it's doing good job of controlling the diabetes! I'm not one for taking medication generally but obvs have to for certain things so yes allways read them x

By *andycandy88Woman
over a year ago

Northolt

Herbal drinks

Vitamin tablets

Walks to clear the mind

Great Post OP XX

Thanks yes very interesting just to see the different points of view, totally respect them all tbh. "

For sure that's what it's about, respecting everyone's views doesn't have to be criticised because it's ot something we practice. Shouldn't concern us let people get on with it xx

By *andycandy88Woman
over a year ago

Northolt

Herbal drinks

Vitamin tablets

Walks to clear the mind

Great Post OP XX

If only chronic nerve pain could be alleviated thus. "

I can only speak about myself and I quoted that's my kind of medicines doesn't mean it has to be for everyone or will be

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Herbal drinks

Vitamin tablets

Walks to clear the mind

Great Post OP XX"

You do understand victim tablets aren't natural

Natural resources for vitamin's comes from understanding the benefits of fruit and vegetables nuts and seeds as well as meat

over a year ago

"You have to take a deliberately large amount of any medication to start triggering the side effects mentioned. The only real scenario where it doesn't take much to trigger a side effect from a particular medication is if you are allergic to it in the first place. But general pop-a-pill-when-sick kind of thing? Nah, no worries at all. "

That's not true.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Herbal drinks

Vitamin tablets

Walks to clear the mind

Great Post OP XX"

I agree that we can all help ourselves by modifying our lifestyles, unfortunately there are also many ailments, conditions or disease that require a medical intervention.

I am happy to take that intervention when necessary, this does not detract from the benefits derived from lifestyle choices.

It’s not either, or, for me, it’s whatever achieves the required outcome.

over a year ago

Oh dear !

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Side effects can occur at any dose. "

Yes. Paracetamol: the amount that does you good, is too close to the amount that does you harm and it explains why you are restricted to buying only two packs at once.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Herbal drinks

Vitamin tablets

Walks to clear the mind

Great Post OP XX

I agree that we can all help ourselves by modifying our lifestyles, unfortunately there are also many ailments, conditions or disease that require a medical intervention.

I am happy to take that intervention when necessary, this does not detract from the benefits derived from lifestyle choices.

It’s not either, or, for me, it’s whatever achieves the required outcome. "

Don't forget to include holidays and massage and cuddles too.

By *rincipessaWoman
over a year ago

your wildest dreams,

As someone who was hospitalised, not once, but twice, for 10 days the second time because of side effects of medication I was on I always read the leaflet fully.

It’s not about not taking the meds, but being fully aware of what are side effects. I was in my medication for 5 yrs, each time I discussed new symptoms with my consultant they upped my meds.

The meds were causing my symptoms to the point I started having seizures. Seizures as in my body/brain seized, stopped moving. It was terrifying

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man
over a year ago

Stourbridge

Have a lovely day all.

"

Some are bad, I’m on various due to health issues. My heart operation , diabetes. I get a very dry mouth. Sometimes I get little cuts on my tongue because it gets so dry overnight it’s horrible.

One medication used to make me sweat like I had a shower.

Not the best advert.

over a year ago

Herbal drinks

Vitamin tablets

Walks to clear the mind

Great Post OP XX

If only chronic nerve pain could be alleviated thus. "

over a year ago

Herbal drinks

Vitamin tablets

Walks to clear the mind

Great Post OP XX

It’s not either, or, for me, it’s whatever achieves the required outcome. "

By *ust a little bit moreWoman
over a year ago

kendal

I do t read the info leaflet if I'm taking something.... Usually it's only pain relief anyway.

But my son is profoundly disabled so I have to read every leaflet, about 16 times, to check the side effect and the 'do not take if you have' bit.

Youd be surprised how many times GPS prescribe something n then I have to change it for something else, coz it either can't be taken with his other meds, the side effects are horrid, or you shouldn't take it if you have any of his medical conditions

By *andycandy88Woman
over a year ago

Northolt

Herbal drinks

Vitamin tablets

Walks to clear the mind

Great Post OP XX

You do understand victim tablets aren't natural

Natural resources for vitamin's comes from understanding the benefits of fruit and vegetables nuts and seeds as well as meat "

I take those as well, I never knew I had to list my diet regime

over a year ago

I have to take a medication daily so regardless of its side affects what the benefit is makes it worth it.

I tend to not take things if I can help it.

Because of an existing condition yes I do look at side effects and if there's a couple listed I'll avoid as it'll counteract the benefit of my daily one.

over a year ago

Side effects are usually the same as the symptom you are trying to ease in many cases! If its a fairly low level med I dont tend to bother anymore. If the doc was trying to precribe something a little more heavy I would look. I was offered immune suppressants a while back but didnt take them as the negatives outweighed any benefits for me.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I read it and am mindful, and try to discuss potential medications with the doctor if I can.

I see side effects as something I may be susceptible to, and a cost/benefit analysis. But I require pills to function (autoimmune disease - no I can't positive thinking fairy fart homeopathy it away ) so... It just is what it is.

By *entleman.kMan
over a year ago

close by

If you read them and then think why are you being prescribed medication that can give me the symptoms I'm trying to get rid of,.. need to take something for the headache the small print is giving me as well.

Post new Message to Thread