Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

·· Meeting / Courting from a Bygone Era ··

Jump to newest

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

Lådìes, Gentlemën, Nøn-Bínarìes and Persons of Interest...

Tell me about how your parents met. Was it a workplace romance? Was it through mutual friends? Did they bump into each other in a pub or perhaps a chance encounter at a discotheque or a dance hall? Perhaps they struck up a friendly conversation whilst out walking in the park or shopping, or maybe even a match made by an affectionate Aunt who wanted to play cupid?

Or — dare I ask — was it through the nascent online dating portals of that time?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

University.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My dad and grandad worked together, my grandad had a party and invited my dad along. He introduced my dad to my mum and they sat through the whole party on the stairs talking. My dad moved in two weeks later. 47 years later and mum does the washing up and my dad still does the drying

By *ull English with teaMan
over a year ago

London

Dogging

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

They lived opposite each other so knew each other all their lives. And still together

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

They were at a film lovers weekend. My dad was with a friend who discovered she had no bed in her room. He went looking for someone to sort it out and bumped into my grandma, who he'd met at a previous film weekend. She introduced him to her daughter. They were married 6 months later. Still together after 44 years

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

They were siblings so were quite familiar anyway.

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

But if you want bygone eras, one set of grandparents met at a football match. They supported opposite teams. The other set met at a communist youth meeting.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"They were siblings so were quite familiar anyway."

At first I thought wtf. Then I saw who posted it

over a year ago

They had known each other for a long time but didn’t get properly introduced until my aunt and uncle’s wedding. My mum said they danced with each other all night and were inseparable from then on

over a year ago

Both my parents had just emigrated to my home country to work as factory workers. He was working in heavy industry, she was working in a fabric factory manufacturing army tents.

They stayed in the same worker estate but in different blocks. Their mutual friends dragged them both out on group outings together, and my dad told me that he made his move on my mother only after a few months, only when she expressed interest in getting to know him better first. This was because he knew that she had many suitors and wasn't sure of his chances; one of his traits I inherited for myself too.

They've been married since 1982. I came out more than ten years later, not from lack of trying on both their parts. They've never had marital troubles ever, and both have stayed loyal to each other till today.

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"They were siblings so were quite familiar anyway.

At first I thought wtf. Then I saw who posted it "

over a year ago

I met F through my ex's little sister

Not like that she had the school girl crush on me and I'd give her advice (not that she'd listen) on how boys were treating her etc, I got back from Afghan got a new phone (back when a new phone meant a new number) sent out the blanket text and well here we are 10 years later

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I'm really not sure, actually. I don't speak to my mother any more and my dad has dementia, so I'll never know. Probably for the best.

over a year ago

My patents met in a local pub.

When my dad died my mum moved in to sheltered housing and started dating one of the other tenants.

At the time my friends would joke that my mum (who really didn't keep well) had managed all the things I couldn't. I she got down to a size 12 and found love.

The sad part was when my mum passed away, he died a short time later.. Apparently of a broken heart.

By *vilgasamWoman
over a year ago

The dot in the i

My dad was married and had a string of business and houses

My mum was married with two kids but wasn’t having the itch scratched

She took a job working for my dad in his chippy, he moved the storage shelves higher to make her stretch more for his viewing pleasure

They conceived me on the potato rumbler apparently

They each divorced their partners and married each other

Maggie thatcher appeared and the strikes happened, dad lost everything

Mum wanted her first husband back but wouldn’t leave dad until his drink was too much for her to take anymore

Now mum and her first husband are gone and I care for dad who still enjoys a drink too many

over a year ago

Mine met at the Bobby Jones dance hall. He was a teddy boy, brothel creepers, string tie, the lot lol. She was out with her sister.

My dad arranged a further date and when it happened he was a bit surprised as he thought he had arranged a date with her sister. They got past that misunderstanding and were married for 68 years.

over a year ago

They met at work

By *anilla-sinCouple
over a year ago

lancs

[Mr here]

They were neighbours.. And met over the garden fence, where my dad was displaying his manly charms chopping firewood.. [ not a euphemism]

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

They both worked at same place x

over a year ago

My parents met at the hotel where my mother lived.

My dad met partners after the divorce via newspaper ads. He was quite the catch.

My mum is now married to the toy boy she met at her Amateur Dramatics club.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

My mum used to go dancing with her mate, and my dad was the clippie on the bus they used to take.

He pursued my mum but she wasn't interested, so he took to going to see her ma and making himself agreeable to her so she'd champion him to my mum (he's such a lovely fella, why don't you at least go out with him once?).

When my mum's ma died I think my mum felt a bit guilty and went out with my dad as it's what her ma had wanted (and there's no pressure like the pressure an Irish mammy can bring to bear).

Not exactly romantic, but otherwise I wouldn't have been here, so all worked out for the best for me!

By *ookie46Woman
over a year ago

Deepest darkest Peru

My mam met my biological dad when were she worked. He was married with kids. I never met him or discovered who he was till I was 38 and he’d passed away five years previously

My “dad” who brought me up from the age of seven my my mam at the bowling alley. Both parents have passed away

over a year ago

From the tale I heard, my mother and father met through being pen pals. He was in the army, she wrote to him as a friend had said he was looking for someone to write to and keep in touch when abroad.

over a year ago

In a pub.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

My mother was working in the same company as my father's sister.

I don't know the ins and outs but she introduced them.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"My mother was working in the same company as my father's sister.

I don't know the ins and outs but she introduced them."

And he was punching

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"My dad and grandad worked together, my grandad had a party and invited my dad along. He introduced my dad to my mum and they sat through the whole party on the stairs talking. My dad moved in two weeks later. 47 years later and mum does the washing up and my dad still does the drying "

Life partners!

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"Dogging "

It's not uncommon.

(At least not on Wimbledon Common)

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"They were siblings so were quite familiar anyway."

So they grew up in the Middle East?

By *avinaTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Transsexual Transylvania

My grandparents knew each other before the War (that's the Second World War). So my parents knew each other socially.

When my dad returned home, after the War, my grandparents arranged social engagements that put my parents in proximity to each other, and they fell in love, and married about 18 months later. My dad always joked that he was bomb happy and got bamboozled into it, but they were very happy together for over 45 years until my dad passed away. So, they were matchmade, and it didn't seem to harm them.

over a year ago

My parents met at church. They were neighbours growing up and started dating shortly after my mum turned 16.

They got married four years later and have been together 36 years. They’re very happy

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"They had known each other for a long time but didn’t get properly introduced until my aunt and uncle’s wedding. My mum said they danced with each other all night and were inseparable from then on "

I knew there would be an •Aunt• involved in one of these responses!

over a year ago

High school sweethearts.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

My father was home on leave, they met at Ronnie Scott's club in London.

Mum always said it was love at first sight.

They married less than a year later, I came long the year after that.

I barely saw him over the following few years as he was often serving overseas, and he was killed in action when I was Six.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

My mum wrote to my dad in the navy....1950's uniform dating

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

The Swinging Sixties are drawing to a close and somewhere in a pub in Chiswick a slightly inebriated man sees a woman he likes the look of and utters the irresistible and sophisticated words "Cor, I fancy you." Charmed, and possibly also slightly inebriated, she talks to him and they arrange to meet again.

The day of the date arrives and she is left waiting.

A couple of months later she is in the same pub and a slightly inebriated man utters the irresistible and sophisticated words "Cor, I fancy you." Less charmed and actually somewhat pissed off, she tears him a new one for standing her up and not even realising it. He must've done some proper sweet talking as they have been married for 51 years now.

J

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My mum met my dad at a local dance

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"The Swinging Sixties are drawing to a close and somewhere in a pub in Chiswick a slightly inebriated man sees a woman he likes the look of and utters the irresistible and sophisticated words "Cor, I fancy you." Charmed, and possibly also slightly inebriated, she talks to him and they arrange to meet again.

The day of the date arrives and she is left waiting.

A couple of months later she is in the same pub and a slightly inebriated man utters the irresistible and sophisticated words "Cor, I fancy you." Less charmed and actually somewhat pissed off, she tears him a new one for standing her up and not even realising it. He must've done some proper sweet talking as they have been married for 51 years now.

J"

This is truly a magical story, thank you "J". X

By *othicslaveCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

"My dad and grandad worked together, my grandad had a party and invited my dad along. He introduced my dad to my mum and they sat through the whole party on the stairs talking. My dad moved in two weeks later. 47 years later and mum does the washing up and my dad still does the drying "

That's adorable and as it should be x

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

My dad was always something of a 'ladies man'; an incorrigible flirt with a quick quip designed to flatter even the most sour of women. He worked a Saturday job in a garage to help him through uni.

My mum, on holiday from uni, had to get her car fixed. She'd recently broken up with her first love, was all dramatic tears and Kate Bush on repeat as the women of my family are prone to do. It's actually an affliction, our romantic absurdity.

Anyway, she went in. Found my dad to be the most frightful flirt, wasn't amused in the slightest. He thought she was a stuck up bitch at first but also really hot. And occasionally witty. Yep, that's how he described her. He was also really struck by the angry cigarette she had outside. He says he'd never seen a woman smoke with such poise.

For some unknown reason, he decided he wanted the challenge of wooing my mum. Many flowers, poetry and dates later, he did.

By *ixed MisterMan
over a year ago

London

In a weird turn of events they met when my Dad was dating my aunt when he met my mum, my dad and my aunt met in a club.

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"In a weird turn of events they met when my Dad was dating my aunt when he met my mum, my dad and my aunt met in a club. "

Aunts, eh? How effectively would this planet spin on its axis if we didn't have Aunts featuring in somewhere?

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Lådìes, Gentlemën, Nøn-Bínarìes and Persons of Interest...

Tell me about how your parents met. Was it a workplace romance? Was it through mutual friends? Did they bump into each other in a pub or perhaps a chance encounter at a discotheque or a dance hall? Perhaps they struck up a friendly conversation whilst out walking in the park or shopping, or maybe even a match made by an affectionate Aunt who wanted to play cupid?

Or — dare I ask — was it through the nascent online dating portals of that time?"

My parents met on a London underground station. My mum had run away to London to escape her violent husband.she had a carrier bag and no real money and was just riding around on the picadilly line as she had no where to go.

The train finally terminated at Northfields and my mum just got off and was going to sit in the station till the trains started running again.

My dad noticed my mum and told her no more trains were running..he noticed she had been crying and asked if she needed any help.

She broke down and my dad called the local police to see if they could help... apparently they couldn't. So my dad paid for my mum to stay in a b&b for a few nights and gave her some money.

My mum got support and help and 3 months later went back to the station and waited for my dad. She had the money to pay him back. He refused it so my mum insisted he at least let her buy him dinner.

They went to a late night transport cafe and had tea, bacon butties and that was the start of then seeing each other.

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"My parents met on a London underground station. My mum had run away to London to escape her violent husband.she had a carrier bag and no real money and was just riding around on the picadilly line as she had no where to go.

The train finally terminated at Northfields and my mum just got off and was going to sit in the station till the trains started running again.

My dad noticed my mum and told her no more trains were running..he noticed she had been crying and asked if she needed any help.

She broke down and my dad called the local police to see if they could help... apparently they couldn't. So my dad paid for my mum to stay in a b&b for a few nights and gave her some money.

My mum got support and help and 3 months later went back to the station and waited for my dad. She had the money to pay him back. He refused it so my mum insisted he at least let her buy him dinner.

They went to a late night transport cafe and had tea, bacon butties and that was the start of then seeing each other. "

Dear Cali, this is absolutely glorious. Thank you so much for posting this!

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

Don’t know exactly how they met. But what I have always found strange, is that if my grandads pit in the northeast hadn’t of closed in the 60’s. It wouldn’t have forced him to move to the pit next to the estate were I grew up on and my mum and dad would have never have even known of each other living hundreds of miles away from each other. They’ve been married 43 years.

The mr

over a year ago

Met in Liverpool city centre my mum was fan of Beatles in the day they met in pub in Liverpool my dad was joiner working at the museum both dead now

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"Met in Liverpool city centre my mum was fan of Beatles in the day they met in pub in Liverpool my dad was joiner working at the museum both dead now "

I'm sorry for your loss.

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"My dad was always something of a 'ladies man'; an incorrigible flirt with a quick quip designed to flatter even the most sour of women. He worked a Saturday job in a garage to help him through uni.

My mum, on holiday from uni, had to get her car fixed. She'd recently broken up with her first love, was all dramatic tears and Kate Bush on repeat as the women of my family are prone to do. It's actually an affliction, our romantic absurdity.

Anyway, she went in. Found my dad to be the most frightful flirt, wasn't amused in the slightest. He thought she was a stuck up bitch at first but also really hot. And occasionally witty. Yep, that's how he described her. He was also really struck by the angry cigarette she had outside. He says he'd never seen a woman smoke with such poise.

For some unknown reason, he decided he wanted the challenge of wooing my mum. Many flowers, poetry and dates later, he did.

"

Would you opine that his daughter takes after her father on the "frightful flirt" front?

By *weetCherryWoman
over a year ago

London

My parents met at a Discotheque! (Nostalgic enough). It was an open air venue with the most known singers of the 70’s on my country. Summer night, night blooming jasmine scent in the air…my father saw my mum and he fell in love. He took it on him to court her every single weekend from then on and during all summer long until mum had no choice but to cave in (willingly). 48 years they have been together

By *weetCherryWoman
over a year ago

London

If I’ve ever hated breaking a thread, this one would be it

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

"If I’ve ever hated breaking a thread, this one would be it "

Your parents' story is lovely

J

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"My parents met at a Discotheque! (Nostalgic enough). It was an open air venue with the most known singers of the 70’s on my country. Summer night, night blooming jasmine scent in the air…my father saw my mum and he fell in love. He took it on him to court her every single weekend from then on and during all summer long until mum had no choice but to cave in (willingly). 48 years they have been together "

By *weetCherryWoman
over a year ago

London

"If I’ve ever hated breaking a thread, this one would be it

J"

Yours as well! Your father sounds like he was a charmer

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

J

Yours as well! Your father sounds like he was a charmer "

Scouse charm transplanted to London. She didn't stand a chance

J

By *weetCherryWoman
over a year ago

London

J

Yours as well! Your father sounds like he was a charmer

Scouse charm transplanted to London. She didn't stand a chance

J"

So I’ve heard! Men where I come from are particularly charming as well, notoriously flirty as well!

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

My Nan (from South Wales) was working in a big fancy London residence as a maid. She became friends with one of the other maids who had a brother (My Grampy - a Yorkshireman). They were introduced when they all went out dancing on a night off. The rest is history. My gramp fought in the war and then when he came back (not before my Nan receiving a telegram that he was missing presumed dead!) they moved back to South Wales and they had a farm.

I remember my Nan telling me about the time she pegged out the washing on the line only for one of the goats to start chomping on it, and my Grampy getting chased by a moody bull.

They were together till my Grampy passed away in 2005. My Nan passed away in 2011.

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

"My Nan (from South Wales) was working in a big fancy London residence as a maid. She became friends with one of the other maids who had a brother (My Grampy - a Yorkshireman). They were introduced when they all went out dancing on a night off. The rest is history. My gramp fought in the war and then when he came back (not before my Nan receiving a telegram that he was missing presumed dead!) they moved back to South Wales and they had a farm.

I remember my Nan telling me about the time she pegged out the washing on the line only for one of the goats to start chomping on it, and my Grampy getting chased by a moody bull.

They were together till my Grampy passed away in 2005. My Nan passed away in 2011.

"

J

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I know how my maternal grandparents met. They met after a Christmas carol service in the Baptist church, over a mince pie. Grandma didn't like them, so she'd left it on her saucer. Grandad was on leave from the army, was always hungry and so he was cheeky and asked if he could eat her mince pie too. She said yes, they started "courting" and we're married about 2yrs later. They immediately headed to Germany and then Hong Kong, where Grandad was posted. They were married for 55yrs, until my Grandma died in 2010. Grandad lived alone for his final 11yrs, but kept himself active with his music etc. He was still teaching the clarinet to a gentleman in his early 90s when the COVID pandemic put a stop to lessons

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I have no idea. Strange that .....

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"I have no idea. Strange that ..... "

Why is it strange Grånny?

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

My mum joined a scuba diving club - my dad was her instructor

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"My mum joined a scuba diving club - my dad was her instructor "

I knew Watersports would eventually figure in this thread!

over a year ago

"I met F through my ex's little sister

Not like that she had the school girl crush on me and I'd give her advice (not that she'd listen) on how boys were treating her etc, I got back from Afghan got a new phone (back when a new phone meant a new number) sent out the blanket text and well here we are 10 years later "

You read the question wrong sweetheart

F

over a year ago

Is it bad that I don’t know how my parents met?

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

My parents met at the ice skating. I met my ex at school. No internet or mobile phones at that time.

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"Is it bad that I don’t know how my parents met?"

Of course it isn't bad. Your own life is mapped out for you, however wonderfully it may pan out. Knowing your provenance is just an informative thing and not a prerequisite to how you will live.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My grandma was a bit of a hussy. My grandad worked on the next farm to hers and she had to cycle past the farm to get to the village. My grandad had caught my grandma's eye and one day as she was cycling by the farm she got of her bike and let her tyre down pretending she had a puncture. Naturally my grandad came out and helped her. The rest is history. They where together 55 years before my grandma died

By *eroLondon OP   Man
over a year ago

Mayfair

"My grandma was a bit of a hussy. My grandad worked on the next farm to hers and she had to cycle past the farm to get to the village. My grandad had caught my grandma's eye and one day as she was cycling by the farm she got of her bike and let her tyre down pretending she had a puncture. Naturally my grandad came out and helped her. The rest is history. They where together 55 years before my grandma died"

55 years of unfaltering marital bliss. Thank you most kindly for your family story.

Post new Message to Thread