Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Will you be sad or glad to go cashless?

Jump to newest

By *he love cats OP   Couple
over a year ago

South Wales

Received a letter from my bank it's shutting in a few days, so going to have to travel if I need to go into the branch now, seems to be the end of high street banks and with it cash machines and finally cash.

Do you still visit the bank, use cash machines and cash?

Have a lovely weekend all.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *heExcommMan
over a year ago

Llantrisant

Too many things can go wrong with cashless.

What if the card machine goes down and you need to wait for a replacement? I've had that and then the customer begrudgingly pays in cash. Always carry cash on you

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Fair few takeaways around me are all still cash only. I'll be pleased when they're not anymore, I rarely carry it now

Reply privately

over a year ago

My local branch shut down years ago now, I was supposed to switch to a bank that has a branch in town but.... Well I just can't be arsed

Reply privately

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

I wont be going cashless as I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Sad you can never be incognito again wherever you go they know

Reply privately

over a year ago

I honestly can't remember the last time I had to go to the bank. I'm thinking when I opened my kids bank accounts years ago!? I'm basically cash less already.

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Barrhead

Unfortuneatly a cashless society is inevitable and it is a real shame as there are so many things we pay for that we would only pay for with cash.

Reply privately

By *r SproutMan
over a year ago

the middle somewhere

I use cash when and where I can. Especially on nights out. I have been to places that tell you one price and then put a different price in the machine thing so it costs more. This has happened on more than one occasion.

Also with cash I take a set amount and don’t overspend. Once it’s gone it’s time to go home

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

I have started to use cash more and more now, but some retailers don’t accept cash.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Received a letter from my bank it's shutting in a few days, so going to have to travel if I need to go into the branch now, seems to be the end of high street banks and with it cash machines and finally cash.

Have a lovely weekend all. "

There are 15,000+ post offices where you can withdraw and pay in cash. A bigger branch network than any bank ever had.

Most banks have apps where you can pay cheques n from home and they'll clear next day.

Online banking means no trips to view statements or pay bills - time saving, convenient and a 24 hr service.

If I lose my wallet and there's just a plastic card in it I go on my app and instantly block it. If it was full of cash that would be gone forever.

People used to have to carry physical coins as currency. Old white £5 notes were the size of table cloths. A £10 note left in jeans after a night out would disintegrate in the washing machine.

I have zero issue going cashless. Can't wait to be honest.

A

Reply privately

By *andycandy88Woman
over a year ago

Northolt

"I wont be going cashless as I can't see it happening in my lifetime."

Same

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't want to see the end of cash, therefore I withdraw it from the machines that still exist, at the post office or by using cash back in the shops. A couple of banks have started having a one day a week service in various locations but I doubt they'll be secure enough to hold cash.

Reply privately

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Sad

Reply privately

By *ertcamembertMan
over a year ago

Reading area

"Unfortuneatly a cashless society is inevitable and it is a real shame as there are so many things we pay for that we would only pay for with cash."
Who says it is inevitable? It's only inevitable if we as the general public don't do anything to stop it happening. If we put up enough opposition to going cashless then it won't happen

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Barrhead

"I wont be going cashless as I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

Same "

I'm sure we will in your lifetime

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Unfortuneatly a cashless society is inevitable and it is a real shame as there are so many things we pay for that we would only pay for with cash.Who says it is inevitable? It's only inevitable if we as the general public don't do anything to stop it happening. If we put up enough opposition to going cashless then it won't happen "

I'm inclined to agree with that.

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Unfortuneatly a cashless society is inevitable and it is a real shame as there are so many things we pay for that we would only pay for with cash.Who says it is inevitable? It's only inevitable if we as the general public don't do anything to stop it happening. If we put up enough opposition to going cashless then it won't happen "
exactly lets start here lets do it from now on cash only

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Unfortuneatly a cashless society is inevitable and it is a real shame as there are so many things we pay for that we would only pay for with cash.Who says it is inevitable? It's only inevitable if we as the general public don't do anything to stop it happening. If we put up enough opposition to going cashless then it won't happen

I'm inclined to agree with that. "

The weird thing is that there's no country in the world that is cashless, has said that's an objective and it only seems to be the conspiracy theorists that claim it's 'inevitable'.

The BofE have stated that even if there was to be a digital currency launched in the UK that cash would always remain.

Every time there's a technological advance people say that 'something' will end or become redundant. The internet is a free instant information resource yet libraries are still around. Strange that in a world where mobile phones are in most people's pockets that phone boxes and payphones still exist. Music can be downloaded in seconds yet vinyl, CD's and even cassettes are still being made.

As Capt. Mainwaring used to say.....'Don't Panic'

A

Reply privately

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I hope it doesn't. Only today I went to pay by card and system was not working and luckily I had cash as I always carry some. Also I am thinking of all the people like elderly and others who only use cash. It would be ridiculous for me to try and pay a busker whose music I may enjoy by card. I will never do it. In other countries the majority still pay cash and they don't have such desire to ho cashless. Here we seem to want to automate everything. I love new technologies but not keen on automating everything. Those who are just happy to see cash go are thinking selfishly of only their own practices and not about others imo.

Reply privately

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

Same

I'm sure we will in your lifetime"

Over 40 years ago my bank said they were phasing out cheques and although they are far less common now they are still in use.

Reply privately

over a year ago

South Wales

Once they shut the bank, that's another cash point gone, the only ones that will be left will be in shops that will charge you for using them, then it's going to be harder to get cash so people will just pay with cards to avoid the extra charges. That's the way they will stop cash being used eventually.

Reply privately

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

I’m ok with it and have been largely cashless for years. I’m even now paying for stuff on my phone. I’ve just realised I no longer need a wallet for cards and bank notes, let alone coins.

I accept there are issues to overcome. Small businesses are charged to have chip and pin terminals. These things do break and sometimes they can only accept cash.

I imagine there are a lot of businesses in the uk that cannot use wifi, such as mobile traders, ice cream vans, market stalls etc etc.

I also acknowledge that the older generation aren’t necessarily where everyone else is with smart phones and technology.

Then there is the loss of jobs at the royal mint.

I don’t know whether the opportunity for crime increases or not. Obviously card and online fraud would increase, but counterfeiting/ small time deceptions would decline.

It might stop scumbags from scamming old ladies for £10k to change some roof tiles.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My local branch closed last year and was the ladt bank to do so in my local high street.

I think we pretty much went cashless during the pandemic.

I rarely use cash at all now and it's become such a hassle now.

I only use it now to give pocket money to my kids

Reply privately

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"Unfortuneatly a cashless society is inevitable and it is a real shame as there are so many things we pay for that we would only pay for with cash.Who says it is inevitable? It's only inevitable if we as the general public don't do anything to stop it happening. If we put up enough opposition to going cashless then it won't happen

I'm inclined to agree with that.

The weird thing is that there's no country in the world that is cashless, has said that's an objective and it only seems to be the conspiracy theorists that claim it's 'inevitable'.

The BofE have stated that even if there was to be a digital currency launched in the UK that cash would always remain.

Every time there's a technological advance people say that 'something' will end or become redundant. The internet is a free instant information resource yet libraries are still around. Strange that in a world where mobile phones are in most people's pockets that phone boxes and payphones still exist. Music can be downloaded in seconds yet vinyl, CD's and even cassettes are still being made.

As Capt. Mainwaring used to say.....'Don't Panic'

A"

Wise words

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

I only use cash for our local takeaway, but then I had to cancel my cards recently and I was absolutely lost until replacements arrived.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Suits me fine.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Once they shut the bank, that's another cash point gone, the only ones that will be left will be in shops that will charge you for using them, then it's going to be harder to get cash so people will just pay with cards to avoid the extra charges. That's the way they will stop cash being used eventually."

15,000 post offices say otherwise.

And can people please stop saying that 'the elderly only use cash' because that's bollocks. My mother is pushing 80 and has been using online banking, apps, cards and automated payments for decades.

Making out that anyone elderly is incapable of using technology that's been in place for years is pretty insulting and offensive.

A

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Once they shut the bank, that's another cash point gone, the only ones that will be left will be in shops that will charge you for using them, then it's going to be harder to get cash so people will just pay with cards to avoid the extra charges. That's the way they will stop cash being used eventually.

And can people please stop saying that 'the elderly only use cash' because that's bollocks. My mother is pushing 80 and has been using online banking, apps, cards and automated payments for decades.

Making out that anyone elderly is incapable of using technology that's been in place for years is pretty insulting and offensive.

A"

Yeah, maybe true of my great-grandmother?

Fortunately she's only been dead since 1996...

Reply privately

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

There hasn’t been a branch of my bank in the entire country since 2013 and I seem to have been doing fine for the last 10 years.

It’s a big shrug from me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

South Wales

"Once they shut the bank, that's another cash point gone, the only ones that will be left will be in shops that will charge you for using them, then it's going to be harder to get cash so people will just pay with cards to avoid the extra charges. That's the way they will stop cash being used eventually.

A"

Our post office is a crazy place to visit queues out of the door most days and isn't only £100 a time on the bank card withdrawal, quote me if I'm wrong as I haven't been in for a long time.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I only use cash for our local takeaway, but then I had to cancel my cards recently and I was absolutely lost until replacements arrived. "

I've never used the option but I now have my cards stored on my phone.

Google/Samsung/Apple pay are all great ways to have a backup means should you lose your card.

A

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Apple Pay was linked to the card that was cancelled.

Someone was using it online, so they had to stop the lot.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thanks to inflation I’m already cashless

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

Our post office is a crazy place to visit queues out of the door most days and isn't only £100 a time on the bank card withdrawal, quote me if I'm wrong as I haven't been in for a long time."

Nope. £300. Or higher if your bank card withdrawal limit is greater.

As for cashpoints I've never seen one at a supermarket (and there are more of them than banks too, including 24 hr ones) that charge for withdrawals.

There are always solutions but some just don't see/want to use them because it suits the agenda to say bank closures are a problem.

If the UK population didn't expect free banking branches wouldn't close at the rate they are/have. Go abroad and try to get a free bank account because you'll struggle, trust me.

A

Reply privately

By *ertcamembertMan
over a year ago

Reading area

"Unfortuneatly a cashless society is inevitable and it is a real shame as there are so many things we pay for that we would only pay for with cash.Who says it is inevitable? It's only inevitable if we as the general public don't do anything to stop it happening. If we put up enough opposition to going cashless then it won't happen exactly lets start here lets do it from now on cash only "
I went to a pub last year with a non swinging friend of mine who has similar views to me on this subject. I ordered our drinks and when I produced a £20 note the barman told me they were cashless. I then showed him my debit card and also told him I could pay for the drinks with my phone too. I then told him it was nothing personal towards him but as it seemed to be the pubs policy to restrict my freedom of choice on my method of payment then he could keep the drinks and we left and went to another pub that took cash

Reply privately

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

A"

Agreed and my apologies if my comment came across as saying that. No offence intended.

My 80 year old dad is very tech savvy, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider people that age and upwards as being less likely to want to embrace change.

But I agree, stereotyping is lazy and unhelpful.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not fussed one way or the other but rarely carry cash...one thing it will do is stop the thieving cunts who ripped off my mum who has dementia of 400 quid for non existent building work they claimed to have done...thank fuck her neighbours intervened or they'd have had more...

Reply privately

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Unfortuneatly a cashless society is inevitable and it is a real shame as there are so many things we pay for that we would only pay for with cash.Who says it is inevitable? It's only inevitable if we as the general public don't do anything to stop it happening. If we put up enough opposition to going cashless then it won't happen exactly lets start here lets do it from now on cash only I went to a pub last year with a non swinging friend of mine who has similar views to me on this subject. I ordered our drinks and when I produced a £20 note the barman told me they were cashless. I then showed him my debit card and also told him I could pay for the drinks with my phone too. I then told him it was nothing personal towards him but as it seemed to be the pubs policy to restrict my freedom of choice on my method of payment then he could keep the drinks and we left and went to another pub that took cash "

Excellent. I have fine something similar on many ocassions.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Going cashless can never be a good thing.

Cyber attacks will only get more sofisticated, better organised and more deadly. Once internet/phone banking is hacked and goes down, without cash there is no alternative.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

A

Agreed and my apologies if my comment came across as saying that. No offence intended.

My 80 year old dad is very tech savvy, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider people that age and upwards as being less likely to want to embrace change.

But I agree, stereotyping is lazy and unhelpful."

I do some work with the elderly and I think people... overestimate how old they are? I don't mean, like, you think they're 120. I mean, a good chunk of them used computers within their working lives.

Reply privately

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

A"

I am pretty sure nobody did that. My grandmother would love technology if still alive as liked anything new like that. The point is that there are lots and lots of people, yes elderly too, who don't want to use anything other than cash. Some elderly ones I know only have building society accounts and still use their book to get their cash out every week. Who am I that should say they should adapt just because I am card happy? I male every effort to use both, and certainly would not hesitate to walk out of anywhere that blatantly refuse cash and discriminate against people in that redpect

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My father is partially sighted, 96 years old and although he uses a laptop and has online banking he's not confident enough to do anything but check his balance. He can't use a cash machine because he can't see enough to do so and I asked him to stop after a man in the queue behind him offered to do it for him . He's literally a dying breed because most younger people know how to use the banking tech, those of my generation were in on it from the start (contrary to the belief of most in their 20s ).

As long as we keep using cash it will still be available

Reply privately

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

It stopped being real cash when you couldn't get silver thrupenny bits any more and they started making coppers out of iron with a bit of brown metal over the top. Bloody banks taking away our golden guineas and making us use rubbish bits of paper that they could cancel any time they want. I remember the days when money didn't grow on trees because cowrie shells were the only valid currency. And anyway, diamonds are a girls' best friend!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sad as I work as tradesman and on a Saturday I might do a job that the customer pays cash.. ...which I obviously put through the books and pay tax and N.I on ......(insert moving eyes side to side )

Reply privately

By *tooveMan
over a year ago

belfast

Sad. Will be tracked everywhere you go. What you buy. How much you drink. Will affect all sorts of things.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Sad but its deffo happening! Visited Lake District back in Oct had to use a card for a wee!and at work our hot drink machine is now cashless have to use my card for a 25p drink! X

Reply privately

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We use cash as much as we can as it costs businesses to have cashless systems so only the banks benefit

J x

Reply privately

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I don't go into a bank as they aren't open at times when I'm available.

I do use cashpoints and use cash though. I find it much easier to budget using cash than card as handing over physical cash is painful in a way that tapping a contactless machine is not.

I also dine out quite a bit and hate paying a tip with a card as it's rarely clear how/if that money will get to the staff. Even if I pay the bill on a card I prefer to tip in cash.

I remember sitting up round the _lock in 2008 watching the crisis unfold and feeling a combination of exhilaration and terror as I realised just how fragile the banking system truly is. I'm going to end up being one of those old ladies whose mattress is stuffed with notes that aren't found until I pop my clogs!

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Unfortuneatly a cashless society is inevitable and it is a real shame as there are so many things we pay for that we would only pay for with cash.Who says it is inevitable? It's only inevitable if we as the general public don't do anything to stop it happening. If we put up enough opposition to going cashless then it won't happen exactly lets start here lets do it from now on cash only I went to a pub last year with a non swinging friend of mine who has similar views to me on this subject. I ordered our drinks and when I produced a £20 note the barman told me they were cashless. I then showed him my debit card and also told him I could pay for the drinks with my phone too. I then told him it was nothing personal towards him but as it seemed to be the pubs policy to restrict my freedom of choice on my method of payment then he could keep the drinks and we left and went to another pub that took cash "
exactly i left two establishments only yesterday that said they were cashless the more we do it the less likely they will be to introduce it

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Sad as I work as tradesman and on a Saturday I might do a job that the customer pays cash.. ...which I obviously put through the books and pay tax and N.I on ......(insert moving eyes side to side ) "
lol me to

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

There are cash machines everywhere, most petrol stations, supermarkets, and paper shops have them. Pretty much ever grocery shop will provide cashback.

I have only withdrawn cash directly from a bank, a handful of times in my life.

Cal

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"We use cash as much as we can as it costs businesses to have cashless systems so only the banks benefit

J x"

I use automated payments and card payments because it would cost me double to accept cash, given that business bank accounts charge more to deposit cash than they do automated payments.

It's been that way for years.

Plus I don't have to worry about insurance cover for cash handling, will never lose a days takings because I've dropped them/has them nicked and I don't have to worry about carrying change in case people don't have the right money.

There isn't a single business benefit to taking cash. Unless of course I wanted to fiddle my tax return........

A

Reply privately

By *elboy1957Man
over a year ago

Weston-super-Mare

When fully cashless and they can then control what and where you spend your money, I wonder if people will still think its a good idea. Foot note EU have now passed a law that if you do any transactions over a €1000 in cash without informing the state you can be imprisoned, it's the start.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"When fully cashless and they can then control what and where you spend your money, I wonder if people will still think its a good idea. Foot note EU have now passed a law that if you do any transactions over a €1000 in cash without informing the state you can be imprisoned, it's the start. "

Please give us a link to that new EU law.

Because it doesn't exist.

And who is 'they' that will cotrol what you spend and where?

A

Reply privately

By *elboy1957Man
over a year ago

Weston-super-Mare

"When fully cashless and they can then control what and where you spend your money, I wonder if people will still think its a good idea. Foot note EU have now passed a law that if you do any transactions over a €1000 in cash without informing the state you can be imprisoned, it's the start.

A"

Ursula Von Der Leyen said it was in the final stages in the eu parliament, to stop crime is the excuse they are using..you know of the greater good

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"When fully cashless and they can then control what and where you spend your money, I wonder if people will still think its a good idea. Foot note EU have now passed a law that if you do any transactions over a €1000 in cash without informing the state you can be imprisoned, it's the start.

A"

EU parliament tries to manage money laundering.

People make shit up that sounds scary.

People masturbate furiously.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

AUrsula Von Der Leyen said it was in the final stages in the eu parliament, to stop crime is the excuse they are using..you know of the greater good "

Try 10,000 euros. Not 1,000.

How often do you need to spend £10,000?

And in the UK banks have been required to ask for details on large cash transactions for decades. It's nothing new.

Everything in the world isn't a conspiracy!

A

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

AUrsula Von Der Leyen said it was in the final stages in the eu parliament, to stop crime is the excuse they are using..you know of the greater good

And in the UK banks have been required to ask for details on large cash transactions for decades. It's nothing new.

A"

But it's a thousand in crypto therefore... Umm umm... Persecution!

Reply privately

By *elboy1957Man
over a year ago

Weston-super-Mare

AUrsula Von Der Leyen said it was in the final stages in the eu parliament, to stop crime is the excuse they are using..you know of the greater good

A"

Spain have already lowered their limits to €1000 so the rest will probably follow

Reply privately

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

I won't be going cashless, I always pay cash to small businesses the charges they can get for card use can be extortionate on smaller purchases.

I'm sure the banks would love to be a cashless society for every transaction they receive a fee and the business looses out, I'd rather not fund the banks anymore than I have to.

Mrs

Reply privately

over a year ago

"When fully cashless and they can then control what and where you spend your money, I wonder if people will still think its a good idea. Foot note EU have now passed a law that if you do any transactions over a €1000 in cash without informing the state you can be imprisoned, it's the start. "

I blame 5G

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

ASpain have already lowered their limits to €1000 so the rest will probably follow "

Hang on. You said it was already n EU law? So are you now saying it isn't?

Spain make their own rules. France are doing similar. Kind of busts the myth sold during brexit that the whole of Europe are under EU control when individual nations make their own rules, eh.......

Oh. And there's been a similar rule in place in the UK since 2012 and it's still in place after leaving the EU. It's all to do with preventing money laundering. Nothing sinister at all.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/money-laundering-regulations-high-value-dealer-registration

A

Reply privately

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

Glad.

I've been cashless for years already.

Cash is tainted now as it's a prime mechanism which underpins all sorts of illegal money laundering and other scams. Cash doesn't leave an audit trail. Digital payments do.

If you are really serious about the huge sums sloshing around with organised crime, you need to disrupt the mechanisms used to hide their proceeds, and cash is the number one mechanism.

Sure, perhaps Doris might find it impossible to put a fiver in the grandchildren's birthday cards, but I'm sure an Amazon e-card or code will do the job just the same, whether she's a Silver Surfer and can do it herself or asks her family to help if she's not computer-savvy. She will be fine.

Reply privately

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

If anything I think there is a bit of a revival of cash going on in my experience. Especially amongst small businesses. I think a lot has to do with problems and charges they have with the card machine providers. I know a few cash only place. Including ones that have previously taken card and now ditched it. I know a fair few campsite we stay are cash only. And know of clubs that are cash only. I also know of more people who are actively trying to pay cash if they can knowing cash is king and it is helpful to small businesses. I see at they greasy spoon I go for breakfast they take card but have a sign asking people to pay cash if possible. Most people i see there do pay cash. And cash is useful when you have kids. Not just in terms of teaching them about spending but also just practical when they are too young for a card.

Personally during the pandemic period I just stopped carrying cash. No one wanted it (apart from that one pace that was cash only and caught me out). But now I try to carry cash with me and always pay small/independent business in cash if I can. It also helps me to grasp better what I'm actually spending when I see it physically deplete.

Obviously card will be dominant for good now but cash will always have a place and need in our society. And I would also say in such unpredictable and hostile times its good to have some cash and gold stashed just incase. Technology is always at risk failure from hostile or unexpected events. I think something the war in Ukraine and hostile messages towards the UK highlights this risk. What good is all your cash as numbers in a computer some where if you can't spend it electronically or access it physically. Always good to keep some emergency funds to hand.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I have two busy retail businesses, during the Covid period takings were running at 80% card and 20% cash, however over the last year we have seen cash making a comeback in our takings, and since the New Year cash now accounts for nearly 40% of weekly takings.

So cash isn't disappearing anytime soon.

Despite the panic from conspiracy theorists.

Reply privately

By *adCherriesCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

Very rarely use cash these days because card is just much more convenient so i wouldn't miss it.. I bet trades people would though, no more discounts for cash..

Reply privately

By *etric5555Man
over a year ago

BISHOP AUCKLAND

What happens when Internet breaks down,money never goes down

Reply privately

over a year ago

Going cashless wouldn't worry me too much but I know a number of local shops especially cafes prefer cash owing to the transaction fees. I do always ask what the store prefers for small amounts x

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"What happens when Internet breaks down,money never goes down"

It comes back online soon enough and your money is still there.

What happens when you lose a wallet full of cash?

Or that box full of notes under the mattress gets burgled or your house burns down? Large ammounts of cash aren't covered by home insurance but if your bank goes belly up then anything up to £85k (per person, per institution) is protected and you won't lose a penny.

Cash gets lost, burnt, nicked (often violently)........it's not the safe thing many think it is.

A

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"What happens when Internet breaks down,money never goes down"

It's a nice thought but unless you get paid from your employer in cash, then you are still tied to the electronic banking system. In reality it is VERY rare that "the Internet" goes down and with more and more things relying on network access reliability will only continue to get stronger.

I believe that cash is VERY important, but there is no sign of it disappearing any time soon. I only know of a small number of places (Bridge tolls for example) where they only accept card, but there are LOADS more places that only take cash.

Also, digital cash and crypto are much more prolific in criminal activities than cash now... many small "recreation pharmaceutical" suppliers are dealing completely with anonymous digital payments

Reply privately

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Cash is my preferred choice and will continue to be so for the forseeable future,

I do carry cards and do sometimes use them but feel stupid paying £1,30 for a bottle of milk using a card.

I always tip in cash at restaurants and never had a refusal.

Reply privately

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I still use cash an awful lot

I take the money out for weekly expenditure

Reply privately

over a year ago

I feel that given the pace at which cashless payments and electronic banking have been pushed within society, I personally don't feel like there's been a chance for me and many others to consider whether we're happy or sad about going cashless. The way things have gone, it's just straight up "here's the way things will be done now, get on with the programme there's nothing you can do or say about it".

On one hand, cashless is incredibly convenient. No need to haggle over splitting bills at group outings, the card machine does it for you. No need to buy a separate Oyster card or paper bus tickets, just scan your bank card and you're good to go. Cashless transactions open up a whole new world of online shopping, where I often find stuff I want to buy being cheaper than buying it in a brick and mortar shop; all the more important during a cost of living crisis.

On the flip side, the push to go cashless in society has given banks the perfect excuse to cut physical services and locations in favour of online communications and service provisions. Customer service ends up taking a back seat as such things get outsourced to call centres (often located in foreign countries manned by staff disempowered by strict orders to stick to scripted replies and no autonomy in problem-solving), creating a feedback/customer support network that is almost deliberately maze-like and made to be as frustrating as possible to put people off seeking help or advice from banks that are more than happy to take their custom and hold their money.

It's all too easy to spend over budget without a physical manifestation of money in your wallet that you can touch and see when you spend, and see it physically decrease in quantity so you mentally know that you've been spending money and maybe you have to rein back on some expenditure somewhere. A cashless economy is also surprisingly vulnerable to fraud and scams still; if you get physically mugged you lost whatever money you had in your wallet. Get your bank account hacked or your bank card phished/RFID-thieved, and you're looking at potentially life-changing financial losses being incurred.

And in an era where we talk about inclusivity to all in society so that nobody finds themselves deprived of access to services or participation in society because of their gender or physical disability etc, ageism still gets a free pass because people just say "oh, old people shouldn't use their age as an excuse to not learn new technology to catch up with the times, they can just learn to go cashless or rely on their younger kin to do financial stuff for them".

So all in all, I think that asking if ordinary citizens like us are happy or sad to go cashless is kind of missing the point. Because this technological push was never done with the consideration of "making us happy", as much as it has been done to further grow corporate profits and cut banking services for the general public for "cost saving purposes". They do it, we just go along for the ride.

Reply privately

By *irkby coupleCouple
over a year ago

Kirkby

There are places around the world that are cashless and have been for a long time, with out any problems.

There is only one way to stop it happening and a few people talking about it on a swingers site won’t stop it happening.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

A"

I know a fair few old relatives who have never used a pc or any associated device, not even a mobile phone.

They go to the post office or bank and withdraw cash and use it. To say that that all old people know how to be online is just as bad.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Glad. Hate carrying cash around.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

A

But I agree, stereotyping is lazy and unhelpful.

I do some work with the elderly and I think people... overestimate how old they are? I don't mean, like, you think they're 120. I mean, a good chunk of them used computers within their working lives."

And many didn’t and still don’t.

Reply privately

By *eFCUKaLotCouple
over a year ago

somewhere close

CBDC is what you should be more worried about.

Reply privately

By *addad99Man
over a year ago

Rotherham /newquay

Would be a very sad day if we become a cashless society and also loads of takeaways would shut down

Reply privately

By *ez669Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

I dont use much cash now but feel it would be a bad idea as they could block your money anytime like the did to the canadian truckers

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"CBDC is what you should be more worried about. "

Why?

Here's the BofE statement on a proposed 'digital pound' and you'll note they state cash will remain as long as people want it.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/the-digital-pound

A

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"I wont be going cashless as I can't see it happening in my lifetime."

Me too, but I've got at least twenty years head start over you!

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

Same

Over 40 years ago my bank said they were phasing out cheques and although they are far less common now they are still in use. "

What will become of those time honoured publicity pictures of lottery and pools winners or charity spokespersons being presented with a giant cheque?

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

Same

Over 40 years ago my bank said they were phasing out cheques and although they are far less common now they are still in use.

What will become of those time honoured publicity pictures of lottery and pools winners or charity spokespersons being presented with a giant cheque?"

...and what will charity collectors be able to rattle in their collection tins?

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"There are places around the world that are cashless and have been for a long time, with out any problems.

There is only one way to stop it happening and a few people talking about it on a swingers site won’t stop it happening."

you've got to start somewhere and this is as good a place as any

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

AUrsula Von Der Leyen said it was in the final stages in the eu parliament, to stop crime is the excuse they are using..you know of the greater good "

If cash is going that soon, why would they bother making such laws, or is it to stop a run on cash when people realise that it is on the way out?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Same

What will become of those time honoured publicity pictures of lottery and pools winners or charity spokespersons being presented with a giant cheque?

...and what will charity collectors be able to rattle in their collection tins?"

They will go contactless too..

Reply privately

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

It will be a bad thing.

Even now with everything digital and online it’s just numbers on a screen at least with physical money you have the physical amount, without going full “conspiracy theory” mode what happens if government decides to wipe all those little numbers on a screen that constitutes our life savings and there is absolutely nothing we can do

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Ultimately, as long as the masses are using cash... it will remain. If you want cash to stay, then use it more.

Cal

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

They will go contactless too.."

A crafty plot to stop people saying "Sorry, I've got no cash on me", as they move swiftly by!

Reply privately

By *oshnbex30Couple
over a year ago

yorkshire

Never gonna happen in our life time.

banks may close down but all post offices do pay in and withdrawals now.

Cash is the way forward always

Reply privately

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"

They will go contactless too..

A crafty plot to stop people saying "Sorry, I've got no cash on me", as they move swiftly by!"

If I get approached by someone for a donation I don’t need to make an excuse not to donate, if I don’t want to I just say ‘no thank you’.

I have a couple of charities I donate to regular and seldom donate to random approaches.

Reply privately

over a year ago

No.

It's pretty niche now apart from charity, tax avoidance and the older demographic.

Reply privately

By *ensual mMan
over a year ago

conwy

We will have no choice soon.this sounds a bit far fetched but give it 12 months before you haul me over the coals if im wrong.

The banks will all go bankrupt and there will be mass panic at first which will be calmed by an alert to your phone with the relevant information which is being test planned this sunday at 3pm.

Already theres government guarantees in place to reimburse any customer that falls victim of a collapsed bank up to a certain amount so up to the government limit your money is safe.

But in order to get the money from the government you will have to use their system of banking which will not involve cash.

Banks going bankrupt sounds very doubtful but 5 years ago if i told you that someone would eat a bat and we would all be confined to our homes for months and get paid not to work and queue up for injections so we could go about our daily life you would have hung drawn and quartered me and my comment.

Im not a conspiracy theorist nor can i see into the future but its looking more likely

Reply privately

By *ickeyblueeyes7Man
over a year ago

newport

Look at the hassle it is to pay for parking these days, you have to download an app ( not everyone has a smart phone) fill in all your details etc, hope you’ve got a signal, what a load of malarkey. What’s wrong with walking up to the machine and putting in coins just takes seconds not half an hour to pay with cashless

Reply privately

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I’ll be sad, even though I rarely carry cash anyway. Not necessarily through choice but I live in a town where most of the cash machines charge you to withdraw cash, and most of the Banks have buggered off.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"We will have no choice soon.this sounds a bit far fetched but give it 12 months before you haul me over the coals if im wrong.

The banks will all go bankrupt and there will be mass panic at first which will be calmed by an alert to your phone with the relevant information which is being test planned this sunday at 3pm.

Already theres government guarantees in place to reimburse any customer that falls victim of a collapsed bank up to a certain amount so up to the government limit your money is safe.

But in order to get the money from the government you will have to use their system of banking which will not involve cash.

Banks going bankrupt sounds very doubtful but 5 years ago if i told you that someone would eat a bat and we would all be confined to our homes for months and get paid not to work and queue up for injections so we could go about our daily life you would have hung drawn and quartered me and my comment.

Im not a conspiracy theorist nor can i see into the future but its looking more likely

"

Bookmarking this just for shits and giggles.......

There's no chance of any banks in the UK going bankrupt in the next 12 months.

The government don't protect people's money. The FSCS does and its independent of both the government and the banks.

So there's a major fundamental flaw in your theory.

A

Reply privately

By *asterR and slut mayaMan
over a year ago

Bradford

I prefer to use cash .

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'd fight hard against going cashless

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"We will have no choice soon.this sounds a bit far fetched but give it 12 months before you haul me over the coals if im wrong.

"

It rather sounds just like a conspiracy theory.

What evidence do you base your idea on?

Reply privately

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Cashless society means...

No private cash sales of any sort.

No more selling your old stuff for a few quid without being taxed on it as 'income'.

No more car boot sales.

Banks will be able to charge small businesses a fee for every single transaction, no matter how large or small. Where you used to buy a cuppa for a quid you'll have to pay by card, for which the cost will have to rise to cover the bank's cut.

And that's before you consider your own privacy. There's the likelihood of very detailed consumer profiling in a monetary system where every single transaction can and will be logged and categorised, as will every consumer, and where that data will become a tradable product in its own right (as it is on the likes of FB). It's already happening in a system where electric payment is only still just an option. Cashless removes any opt out.

It's not being pushed for our convenience.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I already avoid places that are cashlees, so I will be a bit pissed off.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Glad. I hate cash

Reply privately

By *lockMan
over a year ago

Helston

Cash is king! We should boycott places that are card only.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cash is so antiquated (apart from for the older generation who struggle with technology).

If contactless payment came first no one would ever switch to cash!

Reply privately

By *n4MotionMan
over a year ago

Essex

Every one will be going cashless like it or not CBDCs are comming Central Bank Digital Currency its like bitcoin but the banks control the blockchain so they can deicide what you donwith it they can give it an expiry date so if you dont spend it it expires, the can control what you spend it on so be a bad boy or girl no drink or restaurants for you, they can devalue if your poor or give rich peoples more value, they can do what they like with it and every transaction will be logged so they know where and when you spendit, and they will sell it to you as the next best thing the future, progress, easy, eco friendly, life saving, but its control under the hood, lol look it up "CBDC"

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Every one will be going cashless like it or not CBDCs are comming Central Bank Digital Currency its like bitcoin but the banks control the blockchain so they can deicide what you donwith it they can give it an expiry date so if you dont spend it it expires, the can control what you spend it on so be a bad boy or girl no drink or restaurants for you, they can devalue if your poor or give rich peoples more value, they can do what they like with it and every transaction will be logged so they know where and when you spendit, and they will sell it to you as the next best thing the future, progress, easy, eco friendly, life saving, but its control under the hood, lol look it up "CBDC""

Hilarious. But yes, look it up.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/the-digital-pound

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/04/23 03:13:43]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I prefer the option of both methods and would advocate to keep it that way as one acts as a back up for the other.

Cashless will just result in people utilising alternative methods: Exchanging good and services for example or even going as far as adopting their own makeshift currency. The town of Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire has been doing this for decades with local people spending and accepting cotton bobbins instead of Sterling.

One question: if we are allegedly truly going 100% cashless then why are they minting loads of "Charlies" to replace "Lizzies"???

Reply privately

By *cotty_01ukMan
over a year ago

birmingham

It will be cashless soon and I’m very happy about that! Just tap and go and ya done

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It will be cashless soon and I’m very happy about that! Just tap and go and ya done "

A mugger nicks all your cards, you drop your phone down a drain and all during a power cut. But can I still have that £20 you owe me now please???

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Every one will be going cashless like it or not CBDCs are comming Central Bank Digital Currency its like bitcoin but the banks control the blockchain so they can deicide what you donwith it they can give it an expiry date so if you dont spend it it expires, the can control what you spend it on so be a bad boy or girl no drink or restaurants for you, they can devalue if your poor or give rich peoples more value, they can do what they like with it and every transaction will be logged so they know where and when you spendit, and they will sell it to you as the next best thing the future, progress, easy, eco friendly, life saving, but its control under the hood, lol look it up "CBDC""

Hilarious

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Every one will be going cashless like it or not CBDCs are comming Central Bank Digital Currency its like bitcoin but the banks control the blockchain so they can deicide what you donwith it they can give it an expiry date so if you dont spend it it expires, the can control what you spend it on so be a bad boy or girl no drink or restaurants for you, they can devalue if your poor or give rich peoples more value, they can do what they like with it and every transaction will be logged so they know where and when you spendit, and they will sell it to you as the next best thing the future, progress, easy, eco friendly, life saving, but its control under the hood, lol look it up "CBDC"

Hilarious"

It's not hilarious. China is already doing it.

Reply privately

By *oJo pornstarMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

The sick evil Justin Trudeau showed why the people should never allow them to make us cashless, of course his victims couldn't withdraw their money but most of them were handed loans from friends and family in cash.

Those who welcome a cashless society just be careful what you wish for.

Reply privately

By *lint-EverhardMan
over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

I don't trust anything except cash. Saying that I have never had a problem going cashless but I still don't trust it. I didn't ask for it and I don't want a cashless society.

Reply privately

By *ymbunnyfitCouple
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Terrible idea all round cash is king and we'll be far worse off if it goes

Reply privately

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

I’ll never go cashless, drug dealers don’t take card.

The mr

Reply privately

By *jfrenchMan
over a year ago

Stockport

"It will be cashless soon and I’m very happy about that! Just tap and go and ya done

A mugger nicks all your cards, you drop your phone down a drain and all during a power cut. But can I still have that £20 you owe me now please??? "

Well said! Far too many people in their "I'm all for it cuz it makes my lazy life even easier" are sadly indeed too lazy to engage their brains. Not a clue about possible implications. Not one.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I would be sad

I pay for as many things as I can by cash, as I don't like leaving a digital trail of where I have been and what I have spent.

I love the casino, eating out, cocktail bars,. expensive spa visits and shopping, but wouldn't want that showing on my bank statements.

Also a friend who works in mortgages told me that when looking into mortgage applications they take a dim view of what appears on bank statements - lots of takeaways, payments to casinos, betting shops etc.

What about all those families that are living on the breadline who do cash in hand work on the side to survive?

If I gift money to any of my family, it's always cash, no matter how large the amount, so that they don't have the paper trail either.

I hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime.

Reply privately

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

[Removed by poster at 22/04/23 07:59:21]

Reply privately

By *enerifehotwifecplCouple
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

Sad

Reply privately

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

"

I love the casino, eating out, cocktail bars,. expensive spa visits and shopping, but wouldn't want that showing on my bank statements.

Also a friend who works in mortgages told me that when looking into mortgage applications they take a dim view of what appears on bank statements - lots of takeaways, payments to casinos, betting shops etc.

"

Well, a mortgage is a risk to the lender so it makes perfect sense they would want to assess that risk and look at the applicant's spending. Nothing unusual about that.

If said transactions didn't appear electronically for them to review and assess, they're not getting the bigger picture and could potentially make a disastrous decision to lend due to omitted information.

It's not for you to decide whether you are good for the loan or not, it's down to the lender taking the risk.

Reply privately

By *ent1000Man
over a year ago

swanley

Sad always had cash in my pocket and a card ...

Rather pay for anything under a 100 in cash

Who needs 50 cups of coffee on a card statement a month

Reply privately

By *r-8-BBCMan
over a year ago

LONDON

"Received a letter from my bank it's shutting in a few days, so going to have to travel if I need to go into the branch now, seems to be the end of high street banks and with it cash machines and finally cash.

Have a lovely weekend all. "

It's inevitable

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

Well, a mortgage is a risk to the lender so it makes perfect sense they would want to assess that risk and look at the applicant's spending. Nothing unusual about that.

If said transactions didn't appear electronically for them to review and assess, they're not getting the bigger picture and could potentially make a disastrous decision to lend due to omitted information.

It's not for you to decide whether you are good for the loan or not, it's down to the lender taking the risk."

Try applying to borrow money where there's no paper trail to show financial outgoings and responsible behaviour.

And as per the point further up. Why is all the new King Charles currency being minted if cashless is imminent.

There's no country in the world going cashless or advocating it. Not us, not the USA, not China.

The closest at present is Finland but that's been natural progression for convenience and its long been a country where cash use has been in decline, just by personal habit rather than government coercion.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

We still carry cash, our local cabbys know we always pay with dollar bills and we always seem to get priority when we book on a busy night.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

It's not for you to decide whether you are good for the loan or not, it's down to the lender taking the risk.

Try applying to borrow money where there's no paper trail to show financial outgoings and responsible behaviour.

A"

I do leave a trail for those reasons, I just like to decide for myself what is on it. So, all my direct debits, standing orders, food shops, fuel and enough spends show on there so as not to affect my ability to loan money should I ever need to.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Sad always had cash in my pocket and a card ...

Rather pay for anything under a 100 in cash

Who needs 50 cups of coffee on a card statement a month "

This too.

Even I don't want to see how many visits I make to places, I would be embarrassed if anyone else did

Reply privately

By *nlyFransMan
over a year ago

UK

I drew out £300 last summer on a Scottish Island, June I think it was.

I still have £250 of it in my wallet. So in about 9 months in the UK, I have only physically spent £50 in cash.

I travel to Europe most weeks for a few days working. In Athens in August I drew out 1000 Euros from two banks. No idea why I did that but seem to recall a potential problem with their payment systems.

I still have 200 euros of that left, around 500 of it has been used for small tips in bars/restaurants all over Europe since.

I almost hardly ever need any physical cash at all.

I was reluctant to use google pay but now I almost exclusively use it to pay for anything and everything. Scary google pay, bought my daughters car using it and it was into 5 figures. Not very often I actually take a wallet with me either when I'm in the UK, maybe £20 cash as emergency and a card just in case I need one.

Even broads etc can take cards

So for me, cashless won't really affect me, there will never be a zero cashless society, cash/money will always exist, it has to.

I do know some people who will only ever pay in cash no matter what, and some don't or won't even have a debit/credit card. Strange how some folk work.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

And as per the point further up. Why is all the new King Charles currency being minted if cashless is imminent.

There's no country in the world going cashless or advocating it. Not us, not the USA, not China.

The closest at present is Finland but that's been natural progression for convenience and its long been a country where cash use has been in decline, just by personal habit rather than government coercion.

A"

Charles currency is obviously a false flag.

Societies use less money (or insert conspiracy du jour here) therefore apocalypse doom etc therefore we overcome this by throwing a gigantic tantrum.

Contrary evidence is just further evidence of the conspiracy, because reasons.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

A

Societies use less money (or insert conspiracy du jour here) therefore apocalypse doom etc therefore we overcome this by throwing a gigantic tantrum.

Contrary evidence is just further evidence of the conspiracy, because reasons."

If the apocalypse ever comes.....sorry....when the apocalypse comes, we'll all be using alternatives for currency anyhow.

Potatoes, string, glue and of course condoms, because that's the safest way not to get the latest 5G linked virus whilst you're trying to repopulate the planet and overthrow the lizard overlords.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

Definitely not, you will be taxed to death threw punches, the carbon neutral agenda will be easy to enforce

Social credit scores will follow

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

A

If the apocalypse ever comes.....sorry....when the apocalypse comes, we'll all be using alternatives for currency anyhow.

Potatoes, string, glue and of course condoms, because that's the safest way not to get the latest 5G linked virus whilst you're trying to repopulate the planet and overthrow the lizard overlords.

A"

But we can stop the apocalypse by kicking and screaming.

Or temporarily put it on hold... Because conspiracy grifters thrive on making their marks believe that we're just on the edge of DOOOOOOM.

So kick, scream, tell Mummy she's mean, and keep sending the grifters money. The fate of the world is in your hands

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

A

A

Or temporarily put it on hold... Because conspiracy grifters thrive on making their marks believe that we're just on the edge of DOOOOOOM.

So kick, scream, tell Mummy she's mean, and keep sending the grifters money. The fate of the world is in your hands"

Probably just normal everyday people doing the right thing and WARNING everyone

Just like our delightful government will do tomorrow at 3pm threw the alert system

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

A

A

So kick, scream, tell Mummy she's mean, and keep sending the grifters money. The fate of the world is in your hands

Just like our delightful government will do tomorrow at 3pm threw the alert system "

I'll play along then.

Tell me what you know about 'social credit scoring' and how it will be used in the future.

A

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

A

A

Just like our delightful government will do tomorrow at 3pm threw the alert system "

Follows the same pattern.

Thing happens - people make shit up and say any contrary evidence is proof that they're right (even when the people making shit up said the opposite yesterday). Therefore DOOM! When doom doesn't happen, it's because the bold noble toddler tantrum and sending grifters money saved the world. But look! Another doom! Rinse and repeat forever.

Reply privately

over a year ago

With cashless transactions someone takes a cut, usually the big banks making huge profits.

I've never had cash taken, but I've had money taken from my account twice.

Cyber fraud is a huge issue, so big that the government no longer include it in crime statistics. It makes the figures look so bad.

I don't want someone knowing all my transactions.

Reply privately

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

I think the last time I physically went into my bank is when the machine didn't accept a cheque and I had to put it in at the counter. Other than that only really used it when setting up savings accounts for the kids, and before that sorting out the mortgage. But I still use cash. My hairdresser only takes cash. Brownies need to be paid in cash. My kids only take pocket money in cash. Buying small amounts at the corner shop and I'll pay in cash, as they don't want card payments for under £5.

I happily pay by card for most things, but I don't think cash is going anywhere.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"With cashless transactions someone takes a cut, usually the big banks making huge profits.

Cyber fraud is a huge issue, so big that the government no longer include it in crime statistics. It makes the figures look so bad.

I don't want someone knowing all my transactions."

Did you mean the UK government? I mean....they publish those stats every year, but hey.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/natureoffraudandcomputermisuseinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2022#fraud-and-computer-misuse-data

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"I drew out £300 last summer on a Scottish Island, June I think it was.

I still have £250 of it in my wallet. So in about 9 months in the UK, I have only physically spent £50 in cash.

I travel to Europe most weeks for a few days working. In Athens in August I drew out 1000 Euros from two banks. No idea why I did that but seem to recall a potential problem with their payment systems.

I still have 200 euros of that left, around 500 of it has been used for small tips in bars/restaurants all over Europe since.

I was reluctant to use google pay but now I almost exclusively use it to pay for anything and everything. Scary google pay, bought my daughters car using it and it was into 5 figures. Not very often I actually take a wallet with me either when I'm in the UK, maybe £20 cash as emergency and a card just in case I need one.

So for me, cashless won't really affect me, there will never be a zero cashless society, cash/money will always exist, it has to.

I do know some people who will only ever pay in cash no matter what, and some don't or won't even have a debit/credit card. Strange how some folk work. "

It affects your freedom governments, police forces will be able to track your every move, you'll say in reply to this "if i haven't done anything wrong why should that worry me ' its your fundamental right to have freedom of movement, freedom of purchase just to be free to do what you want and not be watched doing it as soon as cash goes that freedom goes

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

I wonder how many of the people welcoming progress with open arms are still reluctant to get rid of pints, feet and inches, miles and gallons?

All those measurements were planned to disappear overnight in various stages but never did.

The transition to cashless, however, will probably happen as quickly as Sadiq Khan's pay to drive almost anywhere initiative.

Sods law. Things I would like to have seen don't get off the ground. Things I don't welcome do!

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

I do know some people who will only ever pay in cash no matter what, and some don't or won't even have a debit/credit card. Strange how some folk work. It affects your freedom governments, police forces will be able to track your every move, you'll say in reply to this "if i haven't done anything wrong why should that worry me ' its your fundamental right to have freedom of movement, freedom of purchase just to be free to do what you want and not be watched doing it as soon as cash goes that freedom goes "

The police need a court order to view bank account details.

You think they'll have the time to apply for one for everyone?

All of what you say is justification for using cash already exists. We have more CCTV than any nation. If you think you're untraceable using cash then .

Unless you go off grid and live without connection to utilities, ditch your mobile, never log on to the internet, quit your job and don't communicate with anyone.....you can be found.

You don't need cash to move or live freely.

A

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I do know some people who will only ever pay in cash no matter what, and some don't or won't even have a debit/credit card. Strange how some folk work. It affects your freedom governments, police forces will be able to track your every move, you'll say in reply to this "if i haven't done anything wrong why should that worry me ' its your fundamental right to have freedom of movement, freedom of purchase just to be free to do what you want and not be watched doing it as soon as cash goes that freedom goes

All of what you say is justification for using cash already exists. We have more CCTV than any nation. If you think you're untraceable using cash then .

Unless you go off grid and live without connection to utilities, ditch your mobile, never log on to the internet, quit your job and don't communicate with anyone.....you can be found.

A"

Yeah, but a simple shiny object to focus on is way easier than trying to deal with complex systemic issues.

And way, way easier to whip up a supporter base.

"Shiny object! Bill Gates Rothschilds argle bargle! Send me money for (vaguely good concept that no one defines)!"

Will it fix anything? Yes and no.

It'll make grifters richer. That's the main issue, right?

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

I do know some people who will only ever pay in cash no matter what, and some don't or won't even have a debit/credit card. Strange how some folk work. It affects your freedom governments, police forces will be able to track your every move, you'll say in reply to this "if i haven't done anything wrong why should that worry me ' its your fundamental right to have freedom of movement, freedom of purchase just to be free to do what you want and not be watched doing it as soon as cash goes that freedom goes

A

Yeah, but a simple shiny object to focus on is way easier than trying to deal with complex systemic issues.

"Shiny object! Bill Gates Rothschilds argle bargle! Send me money for (vaguely good concept that no one defines)!"

It'll make grifters richer. That's the main issue, right?"

Is it weird that all the grifters will take bitcoin/paypal/applepay etc....and of course the regualr monthly subscriptions to be kept in the loop on the next planned actions of the lizard people?

A

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

A

It'll make grifters richer. That's the main issue, right?

Is it weird that all the grifters will take bitcoin/paypal/applepay etc....and of course the regualr monthly subscriptions to be kept in the loop on the next planned actions of the lizard people?

A

"

The lizard people accept and respect the grifters (Alex Jones says all the time that the globalists keep him in the loop and want to accept him. He won't comply because - usually performative tantrum about Satan). The grifters are powerful. And yes. They don't accept cash, they take electronic payments. But that's different because reasons

Reply privately

over a year ago

I genuinely don’t remember the last time I used cash. Pre-covid maybe? Handling gross dirty bits of paper and metal for payment is such an anachronism

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

A

A

Just like our delightful government will do tomorrow at 3pm threw the alert system

I'll play along then.

Tell me what you know about 'social credit scoring' and how it will be used in the future.

A"

China is the model

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

A

A

Thing happens - people make shit up and say any contrary evidence is proof that they're right (even when the people making shit up said the opposite yesterday). Therefore DOOM! When doom doesn't happen, it's because the bold noble toddler tantrum and sending grifters money saved the world. But look! Another doom! Rinse and repeat forever."

Yehhh sure

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

A"

Have you not seen the Will Smith film Enemy of the State 25 years ago at least it was made, you don't have to put a name to a phone, you can log onto the internet and not identify yourself and i bow to your expertise in almost everything, cash is freedom, card is traceable

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

A

A

Thing happens - people make shit up and say any contrary evidence is proof that they're right (even when the people making shit up said the opposite yesterday). Therefore DOOM! When doom doesn't happen, it's because the bold noble toddler tantrum and sending grifters money saved the world. But look! Another doom! Rinse and repeat forever.

Yehhh sure "

Barcodes are the mark of the beast and we are in the end times

Patriot Act 2 following the clearly Jewish false flag of 9/11.

Holding down people and forcing them to be vaccinated as global control following H1N1.

Permanent forever lockdown from Covid (which is an evil Fauchian Obama bioweapon but also repeat infections is healthy)

Vaccines will make all children autistic by 2025 because mercury no wait we took that out epigenetic damage from previous mercury because epigenetics means whatever we want it to

Vaccines - Covid edition - will kill people immediately/in six months/in a year or two/someday there will be DOOM and then you'll see

Being upset about school shootings means freedom will be lost forever

Etc ad nauseum

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"I genuinely don’t remember the last time I used cash. Pre-covid maybe? Handling gross dirty bits of paper and metal for payment is such an anachronism "

Aren't you lucky to live in such a sterile environment!

lots still don't. I'm not suggesting I'm in favour of squalour, but, for many, practicality is an issue.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Oh and now Ivermectin cures autism which is being suppressed because Big Pharma don't want you to know.

Like drinking pee and bleach (I'm not advocating this. Just it's a thing. Yes they call bleach MMS. It's bleach, and they think children vomiting blood is a good thing. The toxins are leaving their body!)

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

A

A

I'll play along then.

A

China is the model

"

No it isn't.

China uses a system that has been classed by some as 'social credit scoring' but this relates purely to high net worth individuals in relation to business activity from a money laundering prevention perspective.

You've been sold another lie.

"The goal of the social credit system is to make it easier for people and businesses to make fully-informed business decisions. A high social credit score will be an indicator that a party can be trusted in a business context.

The system began with a focus on financial creditworthiness, similar to credit scores used in western countries, and moved on to include compliance and legal violations."

Is it being expanded to encompass rhe wider community? Yes, probably.

But don't forget this is China. Its a nation that has persecuted its citizens for anything not towing the party/state line for decades. It doesn't need a social credit system to do that does it?

A

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

A

A

I'll play along then.

A

China is the model

No it isn't.

China uses a system that has been classed by some as 'social credit scoring' but this relates purely to high net worth individuals in relation to business activity from a money laundering prevention perspective.

You've been sold another lie.

"The goal of the social credit system is to make it easier for people and businesses to make fully-informed business decisions. A high social credit score will be an indicator that a party can be trusted in a business context.

The system began with a focus on financial creditworthiness, similar to credit scores used in western countries, and moved on to include compliance and legal violations."

Is it being expanded to encompass rhe wider community? Yes, probably.

But don't forget this is China. Its a nation that has persecuted its citizens for anything not towing the party/state line for decades. It doesn't need a social credit system to do that does it?

A"

Another example of my model. Thing happens - grifters make shit up - therefore doom.

The fact that there are ecosystems of fan fic related to the making shit up doesn't actually make any of it real

(Also, apparently movies are cosmic truth telling because the universe has laws. Instead of like... Y'know, fiction. And movies and novels with wildly contradictory plots are proof of the same doom because... Pfft. Logic, consistency, and reading are for libtards)

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

[Removed by poster at 22/04/23 10:28:56]

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

Barcodes ork quicklyand efficiently. Very occasionally one won't read and has to be entered manually.

On the other hand, I have yet to ever need to use a QR code. They are equally alien to my lifestyle as cash is to some of the whizz kids above!

I don't even know how to read a QR code with my phone (old blue and white Nokia - not the one I use to tether this laptop to the internet)"

When they were first introduced there was a vocal minority saying they were a sign of the end times.

Those who've studied the phenomenon say it has overlap with some Covid scaremongering.

People have been obsessed with apocalypse since time immemorial, and some people make a shedload of money off that kind of claptrap.

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

"

Barcodes work quickly and efficiently. Very occasionally one won't read and has to be entered manually.

On the other hand, I have yet to ever need to use a QR code. They are equally alien to my lifestyle as cash is to some of the whizz kids above!

I don't even know how to read a QR code with my phone (old blue and white Nokia - not the one I use to tether this laptop to the internet)

Reply privately

over a year ago

"With cashless transactions someone takes a cut, usually the big banks making huge profits.

Did you mean the UK government? I mean....they publish those stats every year, but hey.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/natureoffraudandcomputermisuseinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2022#fraud-and-computer-misuse-data"

Yes they publish it seperate but an MP on question time a few weeks ago saif crime is down. When questioned further he admitted that didn't include fraud. As that means crime is up.

They are being selective with the statistics.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/natureoffraudandcomputermisuseinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2022#fraud-and-computer-misuse-data

Yes they publish it seperate but an MP on question time a few weeks ago saif crime is down. When questioned further he admitted that didn't include fraud. As that means crime is up.

They are being selective with the statistics."

That's just MP's being MP's and skirting questions, bullshitting in interviews and talking bollocks.

It doesn't mean the data isn't produced at all.

This is just another example of someone saying something happens, being shown it doesn't and then changing their statement because the original one has been evidenced to be unadulterated crap.

Every time someone says something they read online, heard down the pub, saw on a Facey meme or Youtube video, and then doesn't bother to check for accuracy, it contributes to the global dumbing down of knowledge and education.

That's exactly how scare stories and conspiracy theories grow, spread and become urban myths.

A

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

They are being selective with the statistics."

A politician is evasive?

No. Say it ain't so.

That's very unusual and obviously this implies something broader about everything

Reply privately

over a year ago

I always carry a 50p coin for "Heads or Tails"

Try doing it with a card - Visa side or security number side?

Also no app available on I phone to do it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

That's just MP's being MP's and skirting questions, bullshitting in interviews and talking bollocks.

This is just another example of someone saying something happens, being shown it doesn't and then changing their statement because the original one has been evidenced to be unadulterated crap.

Every time someone says something they read online, heard down the pub, saw on a Facey meme or Youtube video, and then doesn't bother to check for accuracy, it contributes to the global dumbing down of knowledge and education.

That's exactly how scare stories and conspiracy theories grow, spread and become urban myths.

A"

And another example of someone not reading what someone else said.

I didn't say they don't publish it.

They treat it as a seperate issue when quoting crime figures, that's all.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

A

A

Yehhh sure

Holding down people and forcing them to be vaccinated as global control following H1N1.

Permanent forever lockdown from Covid (which is an evil Fauchian Obama bioweapon but also repeat infections is healthy)

Vaccines will make all children autistic by 2025 because mercury no wait we took that out epigenetic damage from previous mercury because epigenetics means whatever we want it to

Vaccines - Covid edition - will kill people immediately/in six months/in a year or two/someday there will be DOOM and then you'll see

Etc ad nauseum"

Really?

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

And another example of someone not reading what someone else said.

I didn't say they don't publish it.

They treat it as a seperate issue when quoting crime figures, that's all.

"

Soory but no. Some MP's including the then PM as this happened back in early 2022, deciding to make a statement where they separated the stats.

That doesn't mean it's treated as a separate issue . The data is there. It's published by the government via the ONS. The fact a few people argued that the data should be split because it's suited their narrative during a press briefing is irrelevant. Their views are personal, not government policy.

The data isn't actually split and can be found via the link I posted.

A

Reply privately

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Sad also you will be tracked 100% of the time.

Which is not tyd end of the world but at some point it's nice to have some secrets.

Reply privately

By *owestoft ManMan
over a year ago

Lowestoft

I went cashless many years ago lol and wont look back.

Started, not mentioning where, when I was the site engineer in charge of an installation and commissioning of a large chemical plant. I had many laborer's working for me and every Friday I had to go into the office and get the cash to pay them. Spent hours sorting it all out. Then Friday afternoon go and give them each their money in an envelope. Straight from work these guys all went to the beer hall and spent their money many of them got mugged on their way home and all money gone and a possible night or two in hospital. Every Monday I would get called back to the office because the wives wanted to see me. Every time they were sobbing because they couldn't buy food for the kids. I'm talking about prior to 1990 where most countries in the world barring here in the UK was very big in Bank Cards etc. Most of the Laborers had no or very little education and their wives even less. I organised a meeting with the Laborers and their Wives and explained the safety of Bank Cards. I suggested that every Friday I would pay their salary into a bank account with a Debit card and give the guys some of their cash to go to the beer hall. Took a lot of persuading and spent Fu*&ing for ever teaching the wives how to use the cards for buying food etc. They agreed because muggings for them were almost like a daily event. But it turned out for the best. The men had their dinks and was soon realised by the bad people they had no cash on them so mugging went down for them quickly. Often got strange calls during the day from the wives to come help them use their cards so pretty much knew all their secret pin numbers lol but fortunately I'm not a bad person and they could trust me. So from the safety point of view going cashless for many was a safe way to go.

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

Here's an idea.

We all know how people stash gold as their ultimate security against currency fluctuation/failure.

Well, here is my Viz style tip.

Every one should stash £20 notes in advance of the system going cashless and then use them for transactions with like minded people.

Their value might even rocket when they become scarce!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hopefully we will never go cashless

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Here's an idea.

We all know how people stash gold as their ultimate security against currency fluctuation/failure.

Well, here is my Viz style tip.

Every one should stash £20 notes in advance of the system going cashless and then use them for transactions with like minded people.

Their value might even rocket when they become scarce!"

I heard that some people in Greece did that with the drachma.

I also heard that it didn't go well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Sad also you will be tracked 100% of the time.

Which is not tyd end of the world but at some point it's nice to have some secrets."

If you carry a smart phone, this already happens

Reply privately

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

I can't see how using these little bits of copper and silver for trading will ever catch on, I reckon it's just to keep track of us all. I find it much more convenient to take a jug full of goats milk down the road to widow twankeys and swap it for a goose egg. And with a bit of bartering she sometimes throws in a blow job or a shag (to be honest, she seldom lets me get away without, I'm starting to think she doesn't really need the goats milk, it's just an excuse to get me over there...). This bloody "money" stuff won't ever catch on...

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I can't see how using these little bits of copper and silver for trading will ever catch on, I reckon it's just to keep track of us all. I find it much more convenient to take a jug full of goats milk down the road to widow twankeys and swap it for a goose egg. And with a bit of bartering she sometimes throws in a blow job or a shag (to be honest, she seldom lets me get away without, I'm starting to think she doesn't really need the goats milk, it's just an excuse to get me over there...). This bloody "money" stuff won't ever catch on..."

How will they ever cope when you need smaller denominations?

(Historical answer: chop up coins into smaller bits. In some places there were unfree people who were charged with weighing coins to make sure people didn't piss off with the metal and short change people)

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

A

A

Yehhh sure

Etc ad nauseum

Really? "

Yup. Stories that grifters have sold as the end of the world and morons have fallen for. Do your own research! They scream, knowing their audience wouldn't know research if it bit them.

Unfortunately, the rise in echo chambers mean that alternative cultures have been set up, free from any actual facts, and facts are viewed as an assault upon them.

*Shrug*

Reply privately

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

For what's it's worth (colloquially speaking and not actual monetary worth) I've superimposed an official 'definitive image' of HRH King Charles III onto my Google Wallet app. So, there you have it: an electronic form of currency AND my beloved King on my virtual notes and coins and other such numismatic forms of payment.

I've done the same on my Apple Pay (work mobile) but my iPhone always makes me enter my password ³ times just to wind me up before actually accepting the very first password.

I'll shut up now.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"For what's it's worth (colloquially speaking and not actual monetary worth) I've superimposed an official 'definitive image' of HRH King Charles III onto my Google Wallet app. So, there you have it: an electronic form of currency AND my beloved King on my virtual notes and coins and other such numismatic forms of payment.

I've done the same on my Apple Pay (work mobile) but my iPhone always makes me enter my password ³ times just to wind me up before actually accepting the very first password.

I'll shut up now. "

Problem solved! Conspiracy over, everyone stand down (until the grifters need more money)

Reply privately